Chumphon Restaurants

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

View Seafood Restaurant: View Seafood Restaurant

by Cathy&Gary Written Mar 22, 2013
    View Seafood Restaurant

View Seafood Restaurant is along the beach front at Thung Wua Laen beach, it would have to be one of the best meals we have had in Thailand. We walked to the restaurant from our hotel and there was one table left with views, the place was full of Thai families having dinner and celebrating birthdays, so a fantastic atmosphere.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and we went with their recommendations. All our food was so delicious, the deep fried fish was perfect, the fish cakes extremely spicy, the seafood fried rice was the best and the deep fried pork or as the restaurants calls it Fried Sun Burn Pork was just mouth watering.

Our bill with drinks our bill was 700baht. If you are ever in the area then we highly recommend a visit to View Seafood Restaurant.

• Photography

• planxty's Profile Photo

Unnamed restaurant.: A cooking masterclass

by planxty Written Jan 15, 2010

Chefs at work, Chumpon, Thailand.

You may know that on Virtual Tourist I am what is called a tip group editor for several places, London included. Part of this job entails creating pages for various restaurants and I end up looking at a lot of restaurant websites. This is no great trial as I love cooking and would happily watch chefs at work all day. Recently, I was looking a the website for the new place run by Richard Corrigan, an Irish chef I admire greatly. In common with many other celebrity chefs he offers what is called a chef's table where, for about £250 a head you can meet the brigade and then sit in a glass enclosed room watching them prepare your meal. I have news for these people. For the price of a couple of dishes of inexpensive, exquisite food and a couple of beers, all well less than a tenner, I was treated to an absolute masterclass in Asian cooking with no glass getting in the way. It was superb, so allow me to explain.

Firstly, I have no idea what the place is called as there is no English sign and certainly no English menu. Come to think of it I didn't see a Thai menu either. People just order from memory. It is not as if you are allowed a glimpse into the kitchen, the restaurant is the kitchen. It is effectively a shack with a corrugated iron roof and open to the elements. To the rear is obviously the home of the proprieters. The kitchen is so basic it is unbelievable the variety and quality of food produced. There are two gas rings with large woks. There is a freezer to keep the meat and veg cold. There is a large plastic container of water refilled constantly from a tap running off what looks like a garden hose. Towards the middle of the restaurant is a spotless stainless steel table on which is a chopping board that is no more than a lump of tree trunk. The chef controls the cooking area, and the waiter, who seems to double as sous chef, does all the prep on the chopping board when he is not waiting on table. The lady of the house waits as well and doubles vending takeaway snacks from a small booth at the front of the premises.

Initially there was a slight language problem. Not wanting to resort to laboriously going through my guidebook she offered rice (as always pronounced ri) which seemed like a good place to start. The only thing I could remember was the word for pork is moo. Actually, I have always found it slightly amusing that the word for pork is the noise a cow makes but there you go. I offered moo as a suggstion and sat down to wait. What a flurry of activity. You see on TV where professional chefs have entire batteries of utensils at their disposal, well forget that. In the three hours or so I was there I saw the chef use a ladle and the other guy had a cleaver which he used for absolutely everything. I later watched him slice wafer thin slivers of beef with it that would have made a fine steak tartare. So away they go. In less time than it takes to write about it, veggies and pork were prepared, all was thrown in the wok and the resultant dish was quite delicious. Good start. The waiter / sous obviously noticed I was taking quite an interest in his work and was deliberately standing to one side so I could watch him, which I thought was decent of him. The main chef was going like a dervish. There was a family table of about six close to me who appeared to be ordering just about everything on the menu and he was knocking it out as fast as they could order it. Everything was made in the two woks - rice dishes, soups, an omelette, deep fried dishes. I suspect Messrs. Ramsay, Oliver, Worrall-Thompson et al would have been pressed to keep up, and all in front of the waiting clientele.

Well, all this was good enough, but there was a further treat in store. Later in the evening a fairly young looking guy came into the restaurant and proceeded to wander into the kitchen and start to cook a meal which he then ate. I had thought the other guy was the owner so this was a little odd. I got speaking to the waiter / sous and as best I can understand it, the new guy was a chef from a top place in Bangkok, home for a couple of days. Certainly, the deference he was shown would suggest it as a possible case. Well, if I thought the original chef was fast, this guy was lightning. The original chef / owner was relegated to commis and between him and the waiter they could hardly keep up with supplying him with the raw ingredients. Although quite full, I watched him prepare a dish of chicken pieces in a sort of sticky barbecue sauce and it looked so delicious I had to order some. Up they came in about two minutes flat and they were every bit as tasty as they looked.

The only drawback in this restaurant, and it is a minor one is the karaoke jukebox. You insert a coin, select a tune from a printed list and off you go. The problem was that it seemed to be monopolised by two middle aged men, one of whom introduced himself to me totally unprompted as a policeman and the other who was wearing army fatigues and a beret and I would wager was about as much Thai Army as I am. However, that is a minor quibble, and the whole experience was as enjoyable as it was unexpected.

Favorite Dish: Sticky barbecue chicken as above.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Chumphon

Comments

Chumphon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chumphon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chumphon sightseeing.