Know about this? Rate It!
Snake blood cocktails and snake meat soup
For reasons of taste (in both senses of the word) I did not put this tip in the restaurant section!
I had seen this spectacle on TV a few times but had not witnessed the real thing.
There is a place on Ngu (Snake) Street that has cages full of live snakes ready for human consumption. I have not got a strong enough stomach for anything like this so just went along for a viewing.
There are about 5 cages full of snakes. There are cobras and also black snakes with yellow bands.
For a thousand Baht or less they will slit a live snake along its belly and drain the blood into a cup for you to drink. It is mixed with honey and whisky to make it more palatable. The gall bladder is also eaten. A large cobra costs 1000 Baht, a small one 500 Baht and the black and yellow snakes can be had for the bargain price of 300 Baht.
The meat from the dead snakes is made into soup and sold for 150 Baht a bowl. The skins are made into belts and wallets, etc.
The photo is not great. I would liked to have got in close and used a flash but for some reason the shop owner wasn't keen.
- Food and Dining
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Hat Yai Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Masonboro Island Hotels
- Mount Airy Hotels
- Bitter Springs Hotels
- Williamsburg Village
- Sanibel Island
- Bacolod City
- Ulu Bedok Village Hotels
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Boston Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Texas Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path