Know about this? Rate It!
Buddhist Temple and Thavornwitthayaai School
Just out of town, next to Tesco Lotus, is a Buddhist Temple and monastery which also houses the Thavornwitthayaai School of Buddhism. It is impossible to miss as there is a huge Buddha in the grounds that can be seen from a long way away.
The only thing worshipped in central Hat Yai is money as tourists shop, eat and indulge in physical pleasures. If you're looking for something a bit more spiritual this might be a good place to spend some time. The monks who live and study there seem quite happy to speak with visiting tourists and it was made clear that I was welcome back at any time. See Travelogue below for more details.
Up to date, I have only seen Theravadic monks in orange robes and Mahayanist monks in grey/blue Chinese robes or suits (shaolin-looking type).
But in Hadyai, I came across young novices in orange coloured Chinese suits. Intriguing!
This particular temple is on the left of Tesco Lotus except you won't see it if you walk from Tesco. That's because there is another temple in front, which blocks this temple from view.
You will need to walk past that older temple, round the corner before coming upon this temple which has a small entrance.
At its entrance are row upon row of statues which house the ashes of the dead within.
Actually I took a photo of them but somehow it never appeared when I downloaded all the photos onto my computer. Mystery!
- Arts and Culture
- Family Travel
Wats (Thai buddhist temples) are oblivious buildings around Hat Yai in part due to the majority of Thais who embrace Buddhism. We visited several Wats between hat yai and Songkla (a neighbouring town). These holy places are pretty much the same and we could even get a view of a large golden buddha statue from our hotel room.
The picture posted herein is the famous Wat Hat Yai. There is a reclining buddha in this temple. Personally I didn;t take much notice as we had seen a couple before.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.
Hat Yai Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Seaton Carew Hotels
- South Padre Island
- Tabasalu Hotels
- Hamilton Hotels
- Lake Corpus Christi State Park Hotels
- Orlando Off The Beaten Path
- Destin Off The Beaten Path
- Missouri Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Montreal Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas City Off The Beaten Path
- New Orleans Off The Beaten Path
- Pisa Off The Beaten Path
- Madrid Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path
- Israel Off The Beaten Path
- Arkansas Off The Beaten Path