Places to eat in Hat Yai

The dining hall is big and organised
    by DaHongHua

Most Viewed Restaurants in Hat Yai

• Tattugran's Profile Photo

MACDONALDS: WESTERN FOOD

by Tattugran Updated Nov 20, 2005

It doesnt matter where you travel to......... every country seems to have a Macca's and the theme is usually centred around the country itself

Favorite Dish: I dont have a favorite dish......why? because I dont eat Macca's food

• Tattugran's Profile Photo

POST LASER DISC: GREAT THAI AND WESTERN FOOD

by Tattugran Updated Nov 20, 2005

Recommended by LONELY PLANET ROUGH GUIDE AND MOON TRAVEL
    They claim to serve more food then any other pub.
    Open Daily from 11:00 am to 01:00am

Singha beers...................................40 Baht
    Chang beers....................................30 Baht
    Whisky and coke.............................40 Baht
    Tequila..............................................30 Baht

Listen to the music of THE PYRITE BAND (performed nightly 8.45 pm to 01:00 am) while you sit back and enjoy a drink

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Chicken with mushroom sauce and I wasnt sorry ..it was very nice....different to what I expected. Verne got the fried noodles (he loves it)

• trisanna's Profile Photo

throughout the city: Get some satay

by trisanna Written May 4, 2005

Satay has to be one of the yummiest foods. You can find chicken, mutton, beef and prawn. In Chinese areas-sometimes pork. The satay is served with cucumber and red onion slices. You can dip them with the satay into the peanut-chili sauce. You can also get some longton, which is rice steamed in bamboo. This is very nice when dipped into the dipping sauce.

For dessert, try and find some mango sticky rice. It's very nice.

• Jeeem's Profile Photo

The Cello Thai Cafe: A Classy Little Place You don't Wanna Miss!

by Jeeem Written Apr 22, 2005

If you've perused my other reviews of "Songkhla" then you've seen my restaurant review of the Vietnamese restaurant "Tongfoon" which is actually in Hat Yai...

When I started these restaurant reviews, I had trouble trying to maneuver these site pages, so now I think I've finally gotten things straight...

Cello, is a tiny restaurant with a BIG taste. It is literally hidden, on the corner next to the Tongfoon restaurant and the Gusto Pub.

Cello might be tiny, but the quality they dish out is out of this world!

Nice, pleasant atmosphere with featured artwork, plants, comfortable chairs, air-con, clean bathrooms, etc...tiny, address book-size menus that prove to be extremely diverse, offering up Neo-Thai dishes as well as a few Western delights to calm the feverish palate.

Just basically a really nice feel to this place, which, if you ask me, is a better choice than the Vietnamese restaurant next door.

Favorite Dish: On my first go-round, I sampled:

Golden fried appetizer baskets
    Roast Duck in Green curry
    BBQ Duck in Sweet and Sour Sauce
    Pork Ribs in Marmalade Sauce

*Please excuse the fact that these were NOT the EXACT descriptions on the menu...only what I could remember hours later!

Verdict?

Absolutely delicious.

You gotta try this place. Their Thai food is not the conventional Thai food that you get in every other Thai restaurant throughout Hat Yai...it's a step different...in the GOOD FOOD direction!

My rating?

EXCELLENT...a hidden delight.

• Jeeem's Profile Photo

BuengThong Seafood Garden & Fishing Park: Something new and fun to do!

by Jeeem Written Apr 20, 2005

I really didn't come to this place for the food, as much as I came to try the fishing.

"Fishing?" you ask?

Yep! Just ask the waiter or waitress for a fishing pole and some bait and you're fishing in no time. The "pond" which is an enclosure of the Klong Toey, is heavily stocked with fish, most of which seem to be catfish. You relax, sip your beer, munch on something from the diverse menu and fish away! I caught one, rather decent size catfish and opted to give it to one of my neighbors at an adjoining table.

Some people come just to fish and at some point they give up their catch to the chef to cook up their fresh fish meal.

The food that I tried was just okay. First I played it safe with Shrimp and Onion Tempura, which was okay and then I got brave and tried their seafood curry, which I thought was awful. You decide...don't let me scare you away, as I'm not that crazy about Thai food anyway.

Favorite Dish: As explained above, I only tried two items on the menu so I can't really comment on their seafood. There are a variety of non-seafood items on the menu, but I always seem to feel guilty eating non-seafood items at a seafood restaurant.

The fun is in the fishing. I hadn't laid my hands on a fishing rod for over two years, so I really had a blast. The rod they loan you is already rigged with weight and hook, so all you do is take a hunk of the bread they bring you, for bait, and wing it out into the water. It doesn't take long before you get the hang of snagging one of their hungry catfish, but BIG TIP!!...Don't try to take one off the hook after you catch it, wait and let the waiter take it off for you. I learned the hard way and got "lanced" by one of the sharp fins!

The restaurant is one big thatched roof Nipa hut where you sit at spacious bamboo tables (be aware...ants everywhere!).

Open daily from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

• Fishing

Natadan's Garden Bar & Restaurant: A Beautiful Garden Restaurant

by Jeeem Written Apr 15, 2005

The food here is pretty good, but I'm not sure if that's because I was just so impressed with the surroundings or if in fact the food really was good.

One of my favorite things to do is wander about Hat Yai and look for different restaurants to try and this one I quite literally stumbled upon.

When you walk inside this, "outside," patio-type restaurant, you enter a garden fantasy world. Small, private Nipa-hut style bungalows are scattered among the beautiful folliage and water gardens, offering a comfortable little patio to eat at, while listening to the gurgling waterfalls and watching the fish swim by at your feet.

I chose one of the Nipa huts out back, approaching by walking over closely placed stepping stones in the lilly pond pool. Very relaxing and the service is surprisingly good for the waiters having to balance orders precariously as they approach your hut, through the maze of water stepping stones.

The only thing I'd have bad to say about this place, is that it doesn't open untiil 5:00 p.m. It's run by Nat (a Thai) and Dan (a Farang) and I tip my hat to their efforts.

You really have to see this place to believe it.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish? Well, the menu is a very, very diverse one, with many selections. I can't really say at this point because I've only ordered the fried prawns, but I'll be back and hopefully be able to recommend something a bit more extensive.

The menu includes both Thai and Western, to delight the palate of all comers, but, as I've gone on and on about above, the real treat is the ambiance.

Try this place out! It's especially nice to take your honey, if you want a romantic setting.

• Tara Seafood: Great Seafood

by davidpaul2020 Written Jan 23, 2005

Tara is a regular restaurant and has a typical coffeeshop ambience.

However the food here is one of the best in the whole of Hat Yai town.

Besides good and fresh seafood, Tara has some wonderful local specialities.

My number one recommendation is the Stewed Pork Ribs with Herbs and Chilli. Its a killer dish when eaten with rice.

Prices are very reasonable. One could have a decent meal under USD 5...excluding the beers.

Favorite Dish: Stewed Pork Ribs with herbs and Chilli.

You get a huge serving for 80 Baht (USD 2). Chunks of pork ribs are cooked with herbs and bay leaves, sprinkled with hot peppers.

Its a wet dish but not a curry. You get a thick sauce which goes well with rice.

A plate of rice and a large Singha beer with it costs about 180 Baht.

• Dxenion's Profile Photo

McDonalds: An International Icon

by Dxenion Updated Jun 5, 2004

For those who prefer to go with what they know, you'll be happy to note that even here, McDonalds is thriving.

At peak times around lunch and dinner, long queues can be expected, even though this resturaunt was one of the largest I've ever seen.

If you don't find an employee that speaks your language, don't worry. Here they've come up with an ingenious way of communicating. A placard of the menu is next to each cash register. Just point to what you want. There are even symbols for all the ingredients incase you want extra or less of something.

You'll be surprised just how efficient and prompt the cleaning staff are and the resturaunt always looked in top condition despite the constant flow of people through the store.

Enjoy your meal in the resturaunt and listen to the babel of many languages as everyone tucks into what must be the world's most successful corporate cuisine.

Favorite Dish: Getting a Big Mac no meat was an interesting communication experience, one that left the staff and I with big smiles.

All the usual menu choices are there but you will find a few local variations worth trying.

Various: Muslim Restaurants

by phil_uk_net Written Dec 17, 2003

Hat Yai is one of the Thai southern provinces that has a large Muslim population. Consequently there are many Muslim restaurants around town. I won't pick out any specifically but there seem to be a lot located along Niphat Uthit 1 and 2 roads and the Sois that run between them.

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

no idea .. ask Phil: Good local food

by jenniferchin Written Dec 13, 2003

Favorite Dish: This is noodles with pork in soup. It tastes a little like Bah Kut Teh, a herbal pork dish famous in Malaysia .. very yummy !!

The local coffee is also similar to the ones here in Malaysia but the thai ones are really REALLY sweet :-p

Bun Kun Pu(?): Bun Kun Pu(?) for great Isaan Food

by phil_uk_net Written Nov 28, 2003

This restaurant is definitely worthy of a mention. When I asked what it was called the woman pointed to a sign on the wall - in Thai. I know a few spoken words of Thai but, as far as this farang is concerned, the written language to me is just squiggles. I asked what it was in English and was told Bun Kun Pu but I'm not sure what system of transliteration they were using.

The food is quite different to anything else I've found in Hat Yai. I believe the cuisine is from the North-East of Thailand in the Isaan region but has been modified to suit the taste of southern Thais. The Som Tum (papaya salad) is very good as are all the other dishes I have tried. The food can be hot though. If you don't like it too spicy tell them "Phet nit noi". Having an Isaan influence, if you ask for rice they automatically gfive you sticky rice. I'm not that keen on sticky rice so order steamed rice, which I think is Khao Suey.

As well as being very good, it is also very cheap. On my first visit there was a problem with flies - not one or two but swarms of them. Even though the food was good I was releuctant to go back because of the flies but when I did the flies had gone.

It is located on Prachathipat Road just a few yards from Suphasarnrangsan Road on the left-hand side.

Lee Garden Plaza: Lee Garden Plaza for Western Food

by phil_uk_net Updated Nov 10, 2003

Strolling around one day I came across two young Danish girls looking a bit lost. After successive meals consisting of local noodles and rice they were desperate for some western food, a feeling I can relate to well. I took them to Lee Garden Plaza, one of the few places in Hat Yai where restaurants serving western food can be found.

? - No Roman script: Excellent Thai soup dishes

by phil_uk_net Written Feb 3, 2003

Another fantastic 'hole-in-the-wall' local restaurant.
    This place is very simple. They have a very large pot of clear soup. You order a dish and select the type of noodles you want. A handful of noodles are put into a wire basket and lowered into the hot soup for a few seconds to cook. The noodles are then put into a bowl and various meats, vegetables and herbs added. A ladleful of soup is added. On the table to accompany your meal are fresh bean shoots and mint leaves and of course the Thai condiments - sugar, dried chilis, vinegar with chilis etc.
    Average cost is about 30 baht.

Favorite Dish: Noodle soup with chicken or shrimp.

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Sizzlers, McDonalds, FKC: Western Food

by kenningst Written Jul 17, 2007

Worried about local food? Just go to one of the fast food places because its quality assured and clean...

Fish and Seafood: Fish and Seafood

by phil_uk_net Written Nov 13, 2003

Hat Yai has some great places for fresh fish and seafood. I am not usually a big fish fan but can't get enough of it here, especially since a fish supper costs less than three pounds.

Hat Yai Hotels

Latest: Apr 20, 2014
Hatyai Merlin Hotel
Latest: Dec 20, 2013

Instant Answers: Hat Yai

Comments

Hat Yai Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hat Yai locals.
Map of Hat Yai