Places to eat in Hat Yai

The dining hall is big and organised
    by DaHongHua
    Emmmm......
    by AngMimi
    Tong Sui
    by AngMimi

Most Viewed Restaurants in Hat Yai

Namaste Orange: A little taste of India

by Jeeem Updated Apr 4, 2011

Let's face it, whether you're just breezing through Thailand or living here full time like me, you get sick of Thai food. You feel too guilty going to a chain restaurant like KFC, McDonalds, Sizzler or Chester Grill, but you still want something UN-Thai.

Namaste Orange is a pleasant diversion and not too far off the mark from Thai food. Their food ranges from mild to excruciatingly hot and spicy, but you can ask them to tone things down a bit, if you're a big chicken like me.

Going with the Hindu tradition, you're not going to find beef or pork here, but in regards to the restaurant being Muslim Halal, it's not. They do sell spirits here.

Namaste Orange is a delightful little "open air" type of restaurant with tables both inside and out. English is spoken and the menu is also in English, however, unless you're Indian, you're not going to understand what some of these dishes are...so, outside of bugging the proprietors, they have a handy "chart" hanging on the wall, which gives definitions of the Indian terms (example: Bhundi = Okra).

The ambience is nothing to write home about, but the service is good and the employees are pleasant. My only true complaint is the fact they have no air-conditioning. On a mid-April hot, humid, sweltering Thailand day, I tend to begin going over my mental list of air-conditioned restaurants. But overall, it's definitely worth stopping by, as the food is damn excellent.

Favorite Dish: I've eaten at a grand total of three Indian restaurants in Malaysia and Thailand, Namaste Orange included, and the first two located in Kuala Lumpur and Penang, Malaysia. So, although I can't claim to be an expert on Indian food, I do know that the food here at Namaste Orange is really, really delicious. After first finding this delightful little restaurant, I've been back three times, all within a two week period.

The dishes I've sampled, which just about runs the gambit of their menu, are as follows, with descriptions:

Mutton curry: Lamb-on-bone in a thick curry sauce. Great for dipping at with a handful of Naan or Chapati.

Dry chicken Masala: I've ordered this twice and both times it came to my table made differently. Basically a spiced chicken that is either breaded and fried or mixed with spices and shredded in a thick sauce.

Chapati: Whole wheat flour "tortillas" or flat bread.

Naan: White flour and egg flat bread with some interesting ingredients added.

Chicken Tikka: Dark colored croquettes of minced chicken and other ingredients to excite your taste buds. They are dry, so dip them into one of the assorted curries or spicy tomato sauces at your table.

Spring rolls: Contains potatos, sauce and peas and is delicious!

Samosa: Similar to the spring rolls but has a taste of fennel that is really delicious.

Aloo Methi: Fenugreek leaves with potato (Take your Naan or Chapati, add a bit of onion slice, some Aloo Methi and some spicy mint sauce...YUM!

Aloo Matar Paneer: Peas with potato and some interesting spice combinations...like a thick stew and great with Naan or Chapati.

Shrimp Masala: Beware! Unless you ask them to turn down the heat a bit, you'll be dripping sweat onto your table. Delicious wet dish of a thick tomato sauce and prawns, but I wish they would remove the tails!

I've yet to try the Bhundi (Okra) as they were out of it the last time I ate here, but I'll definitely be back!

• School Holidays

Chicken Rice: Kao Mun Kai

by travelpug Written Dec 5, 2007

Chicken rice is called 'Kao Mun Kai' in Thai language. It is similar to Hainanese chicken rice found in Malaysia and Singapore. In Thailand, it doesn't have bbq chicken like in Malaysia. It only comes with poached chicken (white chicken). The special part of Kao Mun Kai is the sauces. One is made from fermented bean and soy sauce, another sauce is made from ginger. Yummy!

Favorite Dish: Kao Mun Kai

Swensen's: Wonderful Ice-cream

by travelpug Written Aug 24, 2007

Everyone who visit Thailand should try Swensen's Ice-cream! They have many branches throughout Thailand. Their service is good and ice-cream tastes awesome! So many flavours to choose from!!

Favorite Dish: I love their special, "Chocolate 59"!! I had also tried their special "Mango Sticky Rice" and love it too! Too bad that was only a temporarily flavour.

Restaurant 108: Ee-San Food

by travelpug Written Aug 24, 2007

Ee-san food is one of my favourite food in Thailand. It is originated from north-eastern. There are many salads to choose from. Usually you eat the dishes with sticky rice served in a woven bamboo containter. Ambiance of this restaurant is good. There are bamboo tables and benches with dried leaves roof. There are plants around. Nice environment.

Fuji Restaurant: Japanese food in Thailand

by travelpug Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ok, this may sound a bit crazy to recommend a Japanese restaurant in Thailand. But it is worth trying if you want a break from Thai food for once. Gret taste with low price. A bento set is less than 200 Baht. Great value for your money. It is definitely cheaper than any other Japanaese restaurant that I have been to.

Favorite Dish: Try one of their selections of bento set. You won't be disapointed!

The Palm Court Restaurant: Serving Thai Buffet Lunch

by DaHongHua Written Nov 2, 2012

Palm Court Restaurant attracted me because of the promotional price 179 baht per pax. It was the only buggeted price restaurant when we arrived Hat Yai during our 2 nights stay. The environment was good as we arrive quite early according Thai time but according our biological time from Malaysia, we were hungry.
    We had 2 buffet lunch that we need to pay and 2 buffet breakfast which are inclusive in this restaurant. We experience tasting Thai food, Thai noodle, japanese food and western food, The chefs and the kitchen staff changed their menu daily for their guests. It was a great eating experience.

Post Laser Disc since 1982: Bistro and Pub serving Thai and Western food

by DaHongHua Written Oct 19, 2012

This restaurant is located two to three streets away from the city centre, there are not many Western restaurant in Hat Yai city centre so you have to look around. This restaurant is opened since 1982, the restaurant is at the left, the bar and bistro at the right although they share the same entrance. The environment and cleanliness is strill perfect after 30 years in business.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken Corden Blue Style
    The vegetarian fried rice

in Hat Yai: Seafood Restaurant

by DaHongHua Updated Oct 19, 2012

Walking in the city centre, you can easily attracted by the by yellow sign with two big red Chinese charactors with the meaning seafood pronounce as " haixian ". These are the restaurant selling fresh seafood chilled and displayed at their front entrance. The dinners choose the type of seafood they want, mentioning your favourite cooking style or up to the chef to decide the best way of cooking. I haven't try any seafood dinner in Hat Yai as I came from a town near to fishing village. The dispaly seafood are all fresh though I prefume in a business environment like this, the cooked food must be expensive too.

• Beaches

in Hat Yai: Birds' nest healthy drink

by DaHongHua Written Oct 19, 2012

Just like the seafood restaurant and the street food, in Hat Yai, there are plenty of the restaurant selling only birds' nest healthy drink as there are so many tourist come for this. It is an attraction, try it, may be a small bowl.

in Hat Yai street: Chinese & Thai Style mixed rice or porridge

by DaHongHua Written Oct 20, 2012

There are so many delicious food, I walk along the street in the city centre wishing to explore more and more. This restaurant pull my attraction, it has so many ready cooked dishes. This restaurant is located some where in the city centre. I guess from what I look the dishes is of Chinese and Thai style, part of them are preserved food such as salted eggs, salted pork, salted vegetable in many type. You can choose a few type of the dishes and eat together with either rice or porridge.

• thaivisitor's Profile Photo

Anusawaree Kuay Tiow Ler: Kuay Tiow Ler

by thaivisitor Written Sep 10, 2006

I think this is the cheapest and tastiest Kuay Tiow Ler you can find in Hat Yai. Kuay Tiow Ler literally means "Boat Kuay Tiow". This system was adopted in Thailand since very long time ago when hawkers sell their food from boats like sampans, along rivers.

So now those places that don't have river, bring the boat up and use it as a "showpiece" to promote their food. The Kuay Tioe Ler is different from the normal Kuay Tiow in the gravy. The gravy here is thicker and not clear soup.

This place sells a bowl for only 20 Baht. If you ask for special, then its only 30 Baht. Also Kuay Tiow Ler also have beef, unfortunately this place sells only the pork version.

The owner "Meow" is a tough looking guy who looks like a "Hell's Angel" rider. Anyway, he's hobby is riding and I believe he can assist groups who wants to go Motor Cross riding too.

Favorite Dish: Kuay Tiow Ler (tell him a little spicy) together with a packet of deep fried prok skin mixed in.

Natadan's Garden Bar & Restaurant: A Beautiful Garden Restaurant

by Jeeem Written Apr 15, 2005

The food here is pretty good, but I'm not sure if that's because I was just so impressed with the surroundings or if in fact the food really was good.

One of my favorite things to do is wander about Hat Yai and look for different restaurants to try and this one I quite literally stumbled upon.

When you walk inside this, "outside," patio-type restaurant, you enter a garden fantasy world. Small, private Nipa-hut style bungalows are scattered among the beautiful folliage and water gardens, offering a comfortable little patio to eat at, while listening to the gurgling waterfalls and watching the fish swim by at your feet.

I chose one of the Nipa huts out back, approaching by walking over closely placed stepping stones in the lilly pond pool. Very relaxing and the service is surprisingly good for the waiters having to balance orders precariously as they approach your hut, through the maze of water stepping stones.

The only thing I'd have bad to say about this place, is that it doesn't open untiil 5:00 p.m. It's run by Nat (a Thai) and Dan (a Farang) and I tip my hat to their efforts.

You really have to see this place to believe it.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish? Well, the menu is a very, very diverse one, with many selections. I can't really say at this point because I've only ordered the fried prawns, but I'll be back and hopefully be able to recommend something a bit more extensive.

The menu includes both Thai and Western, to delight the palate of all comers, but, as I've gone on and on about above, the real treat is the ambiance.

Try this place out! It's especially nice to take your honey, if you want a romantic setting.

• Jeeem's Profile Photo

BuengThong Seafood Garden & Fishing Park: Something new and fun to do!

by Jeeem Written Apr 20, 2005

I really didn't come to this place for the food, as much as I came to try the fishing.

"Fishing?" you ask?

Yep! Just ask the waiter or waitress for a fishing pole and some bait and you're fishing in no time. The "pond" which is an enclosure of the Klong Toey, is heavily stocked with fish, most of which seem to be catfish. You relax, sip your beer, munch on something from the diverse menu and fish away! I caught one, rather decent size catfish and opted to give it to one of my neighbors at an adjoining table.

Some people come just to fish and at some point they give up their catch to the chef to cook up their fresh fish meal.

The food that I tried was just okay. First I played it safe with Shrimp and Onion Tempura, which was okay and then I got brave and tried their seafood curry, which I thought was awful. You decide...don't let me scare you away, as I'm not that crazy about Thai food anyway.

Favorite Dish: As explained above, I only tried two items on the menu so I can't really comment on their seafood. There are a variety of non-seafood items on the menu, but I always seem to feel guilty eating non-seafood items at a seafood restaurant.

The fun is in the fishing. I hadn't laid my hands on a fishing rod for over two years, so I really had a blast. The rod they loan you is already rigged with weight and hook, so all you do is take a hunk of the bread they bring you, for bait, and wing it out into the water. It doesn't take long before you get the hang of snagging one of their hungry catfish, but BIG TIP!!...Don't try to take one off the hook after you catch it, wait and let the waiter take it off for you. I learned the hard way and got "lanced" by one of the sharp fins!

The restaurant is one big thatched roof Nipa hut where you sit at spacious bamboo tables (be aware...ants everywhere!).

Open daily from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

• Fishing

• Tara Seafood: Great Seafood

by davidpaul2020 Written Jan 23, 2005

Tara is a regular restaurant and has a typical coffeeshop ambience.

However the food here is one of the best in the whole of Hat Yai town.

Besides good and fresh seafood, Tara has some wonderful local specialities.

My number one recommendation is the Stewed Pork Ribs with Herbs and Chilli. Its a killer dish when eaten with rice.

Prices are very reasonable. One could have a decent meal under USD 5...excluding the beers.

Favorite Dish: Stewed Pork Ribs with herbs and Chilli.

You get a huge serving for 80 Baht (USD 2). Chunks of pork ribs are cooked with herbs and bay leaves, sprinkled with hot peppers.

Its a wet dish but not a curry. You get a thick sauce which goes well with rice.

A plate of rice and a large Singha beer with it costs about 180 Baht.

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Lee Garden Plaza: Lee Garden Plaza for Western Food

by phil_uk_net Updated Nov 10, 2003

Strolling around one day I came across two young Danish girls looking a bit lost. After successive meals consisting of local noodles and rice they were desperate for some western food, a feeling I can relate to well. I took them to Lee Garden Plaza, one of the few places in Hat Yai where restaurants serving western food can be found.

Hat Yai Hotels

Latest: Oct 7, 2013
The Florida Hotel Hatyai
Latest: Feb 4, 2014

Instant Answers: Hat Yai

Comments

Hat Yai Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hat Yai locals.
Map of Hat Yai