Ko Lanta Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Ko Lanta

• Kaynisa's Profile Photo

Yoga

by Kaynisa Written Feb 10, 2006

Yoga Classes Going On - notice any handsome hunk?

If u are in this vacinity (Ko Lanta) dont forget to go to the Yoga class that they have every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday with reasonable fee.... or u can just simply walk along the beach its quite and excersice already

• francischris's Profile Photo

Elephant trek

by francischris Written Feb 6, 2006

View form the TOP

Booked over Hotel counter.Per pax B900 include a bottle of water n fruits.About 3 hrs activity so best in the morning or around 3 noon ,best to avoid the 12 noon sun which is at the hottest.The car will pick u frm the hotel.
    Quite fun to ride on this gentle giant although the journey is a bit short.It is like sitting on a gentle swaying hammock.When the elephant reaches the resting point ,we had a guide (include in the package) to take us on a trek by foot to the waterfall around 1.5 hrs.On the way he show us local faunas....monkeys.,monitor lizards as well as some local plants supposedly having aphrodisiac value.Then backtrack downstream to the elephant resting point and back to base via top of elephant.

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Saladan town

by dragontml Written Jan 12, 2006

Saladan town

Here is where you can book and purchase day trips from boat tickets to bus tickets.
    Also, food can be found.
    Local products can also be found. Certain things you can bargain and certain things not !

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Sea kayaking

by dragontml Written Jan 12, 2006

sea kayaking

Sea kayaking is one of the many options that one can choose from when visiting Ko Lanta.

It started early morning, pick-up @ 8:30am and then a short drive to the pier and onto to the vechicle ferry which took about 15 minutes to cross. Now, a short drive to the pier where a long-tail boat is waiting for us. We got onto the boat and off we go to Ko Talabeng where we will kayak for at least 2 hours [i was not wearing a watch and not too worried about time], I must say, its hard work !!! I shared the kayak with the guide and I must say, he did quite a bit of kayaking. Shortly, it was lunch time and we again boarded the long-tail boat and got back onto the mainland where we had lunch. Local food and not missing tom yum !

Before heading back to Ko Lanta, we had a 40 minutes stop at a small island named, Ko Boo Boo, a place to stay for a bit if you are looking for a quite environment. There was several painters doing their art work.

It was a long ride back to Saladan pier and it was a hot shinning day. After all the kayaking and the yummy lunch, you tend to feel a wee bit tired and sleepy...

Overall, it was a fun day outing @ sea.

• Adventure Travel
    • Kayaking

Ko Rok

by bijo69 Updated Dec 30, 2005

Ko Rok is a twin island which is about a one hour ride by speedboat from Ko Lanta. It has the most beautiful beach I've seen in Thailand and snorkelling out there is amazing.
    As it is a National Park, there are no hotels/guesthouses on the islands, but you can camp.
    Ko Rok is also home to a big lizard species (forgot the name...).

I booked the tour with Opal Travel. It included the transfer by speedboat, a great lunch & free drinks and snorkelling equipment for 1300 THB. Highly recommended!

• Sailing and Boating

4-Islands-Tour

by bijo69 Written Dec 30, 2005

Ko Ngai

Another "must do" when staying on Ko Lanta is the 4-islands tour. There are different operaters who do this trip. Our trip was organized by the guesthouse we stayed. The organisation was lousy (as was the guesthouse), we were just a few people on this trip, but they didn't have enough snorkelling gear... Which was a shame as the snorkelling around these islands was fabulous!
    We visted Ko Muk where you swim through a cave and come to a nice little beach (just like in "The Beach" by Alex Garland), Ko Ma and Ko Chuak with colourful soft coral and fish and Koh Ngai with a long sandy beach.

Ban Saladan

by bijo69 Written Dec 30, 2005

Ban Saladan, on the Northern end of Ko Lanta, is the village where the ferries arrive.
    This is the place to go for shopping and the restaurants there are also worth a visit. Lots of dive schools and travel agencies have their offices here aswell.

MORE TATTOOS

by mamasan69 Updated May 16, 2005

GETTING MY LATEST TAT-Koh Lanta

This is the sign at Bamboo Tattoo describing what the benefits of getting a traditional style tattoo are.
    The person getting the tattoo done in the shop was me, not that you can see me because I'm lying down.
    After getting a tattoo with the gun(machine) and now the traditional way, the sign is very accurate and truthful. I will try it again on one of my next trips to Koh Lanta for sure.

TATTOOS ALL AROUND-FOR THE TRIO

by mamasan69 Updated May 15, 2005

MY TATTOO-Koh Lanta.

After talking with my brother and cousin for the first three weeks about getting tattoos, we finally broke down and all got one in Koh Lanta.
    The process that lead up to the actual tattoo involved quite a few Chang(beer) and then deciding where to get it on our bodies. The tattoos were done at a place called Bamboo Tattoo, which was located next to the Lanta Sunny House. The tattoo shop is run by four brothers, who also own the bar which its located on.
    My cousin was the first one to go after deciding on a wizard/moon design. He was in for about 11/2-2 hoursand his tattoo cost 3500bht. It was my turn next and after choosing what I wanted, it was time for the start of 3 hours of tattooing. The good part about it was that the needle started to dull about halfway, this gave me a chance to enjoy another Chang and then get back to business. By the time it was done my arm was asleep from the position I had to hold it, and I was 4500bht poorer. During the same time that I was in the shop, my brother snuck in and got his small tattoo done within an hour. His choice was the symbol of the Year of the Dragon, and he got it on his wrist(1500bht).
    I would highly recommend this place to anyone that is interested in getting a tattoo done while they are in Thailand. There are a number of reasons for this, first they are very skilled and dedicated to doing a good job. The next day the brother that did my cousins tattoo, was getting a new one done by the guy that did mine. Second reason is that they do tattoos the traditional way, with a bamboo stick/needle, no machines. There is little pain and no bleeding and a person is able to swim again a day later. If you do get one keep it out of the sun (sunburn) and keep it lubed up with vasoline for about 10 days. This will keep it from fading and help heal it up.
    I will go back to these guys again as they were very careful and excellent artists. My cousin even got a free touchup done to his the next day, no problem.*

• Adventure Travel

MY LATEST TATTOO

by mamasan69 Updated May 15, 2005

NEW TATTOO-Koh Lanta

One of the main reasons for returning to Koh Lanta on my last trip was to get another tattoo. I returned to Bamboo Tattoo to meet up with many of the same guys and a new artist. I have had the idea for my tattoo(my full name in Thai) for about 8 months and finally got it a day after arriving here.
    I got the right spelling from my girlfriend and got the artist to expand it to fit my arm. It was just as painless, but still took about 3.5-4 hours to finish. Mind you I did take a few beer breaks during the whole process and this slowed it down a little. The tattoo cost me 3500bht and a bottle of whiskey, so again this was a good deal for me.
    I plan to go back and see the guys again on my next trip, but still don't know what my next tattoo will be yet.

• School Holidays
    • Beer Tasting

• gabyne's Profile Photo

Elephant riding

by gabyne Written Mar 19, 2005

feeding the elephant

This was a really great experience. We "rented" an elephant (with her mahout) and went through the jungle.

Afterwards, we were allowed to feed her bananas. I don't remember her name, but I still know she was 40 years old!

It was also great to see how the mahout talked to the elephant and she "answered". The man raised her since she was a young one.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• don_thomas's Profile Photo

Lanta as a diving-base.

by don_thomas Written Apr 19, 2004

diving @ Ko Ha

Go diving when you are on Lanta! It's a good base from where you can visit dive-sites that are said to be among the best of the world.

The diving school where I did all my diving with was Lanta Diver. It's a Swedish company from origin with many instructors from all over the world. Man, it's well organised there! They arrange diving trips to Ko Ha, Ko Bida and Hin Dueng. You leave at 7 or 8 o'clock, depending on your destination. Breakfast and fantastic Thai lunch is served on the boat and lots of fruit on the way back.

• Loops's Profile Photo

Elephant Trekking

by Loops Updated Apr 5, 2004

checking out the rubber tapping

There are a couple of elephant treks you can go on. We went on one which took about an hour, through the rubber plantations.

The elephants are apparently not native to Lanta, they are ex-logging elephants which were shipped over to tourist areas after a ban on logging was brought in by the government, resulting in jobless elephants all over Thailand. If this is true (which I suspect it is as my trusty guidebook tells me so!) then at least the tourists are providing the elephants with a better lifestyle than hanging around busy streets begging for food.

The great thing about elephant trekking is that it is so quiet and peaceful - you don't imagine that elephants move about so silently, being such large animals, but as they walk through the forest, they are actually quieter than the average human!

The guides took us down a couple of quite steep banks which was weird as you feel like you're going to fall off, and we walked along a stream that was quite shallow as it was the dry season, however, they do the same route in the wet season and I saw photos of elephants in the stream up to their heads in water, which must be quite good fun.

We'd done an elephant trek once before in Ko Samui, but this one was better as it was longer and the land wasn't as flat.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the baby elephant show afterwards. When you get back to the centre, they bring out the baby elephant and it does some tricks like kicking a ball and putting a hat on the kids' heads, which is OK, but they also get it to balance on its trunk and things more suited to Disney's Dumbo film in my opinion - but apart from that, the whole trip was a good one.

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Just a sightseeing

by edachsund Written Mar 4, 2004

I went down the beach to have a long walk. And yeah I found lots of interesting scenary. haha. This place is quite. Good to relax realy. I thank to one of the traveler whom we met on the bus recommending me to this place.
    BTW, forgot his name.

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

Ko Jum (1)

by jenniferchin Written Jan 4, 2004

beach @ ko jum

My impressions of Ko Jum (a little quiet island between Ko Lanta and Krabi) :

I bought a return boat ticket from Saladan, Ko Lanta for 170 bhat. I had to take the ferry that goes to Krabi and hop off halfway. So, there I was on the ferry ~ very excited about this outing as I have been wanting to check this place out. Its still pretty much secluded (not much info on the internet) and sounded pretty pristine to me ... and I was so right !

The boat ride took about an hour and I was on the beach at 9am. Ko Jum is very very laidback, hardly any development over on the (west) beach, save for a few bungalows. Just the sound of the wind and the waves.

I basked in the sun until noon .. or rather, until it got too hot. I lazed about in the restaurant over at New Bungalows until about 3pm. That was when I had to take my boat back to Ko Lanta.

Instant Answers: Ko Lanta

Comments

Ko Lanta Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ko Lanta things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Lanta sightseeing.