Ko Lanta Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Ko Lanta

• francischris's Profile Photo

Massage your weary muscles

by francischris Updated Feb 17, 2006

After a day of snorkelling n swimming it's time to wind down with a Thai massage.The massge in a airy hut is soothing with the smell and sound of the sea...probably dooze off. OFF.After the massage u can enjoy a coctail at the bar hut below.

Price board Open air massage hut the lower hut is the Bar View from Massage Hut

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Saladan town

by dragontml Written Jan 12, 2006

Here is where you can book and purchase day trips from boat tickets to bus tickets.
    Also, food can be found.
    Local products can also be found. Certain things you can bargain and certain things not !

Saladan town Pier @ Saladan After rain...

• edachsund's Profile Photo

Just a sightseeing

by edachsund Written Mar 4, 2004

I went down the beach to have a long walk. And yeah I found lots of interesting scenary. haha. This place is quite. Good to relax realy. I thank to one of the traveler whom we met on the bus recommending me to this place.
    BTW, forgot his name.

• Lanta Old Town

by shelley2007 Updated May 27, 2007

Jump on your bike and scoot on over to Lanta Old Town, located on the East side of the island, it is one of the region’s most culturally diverse with Chinese merchants, original Thai and Muslim fishing families and an ancient Sea Gypsy community who have lived in harmony for over a century. Today, the same daily activities and traditional structures, such as traditional markets, longtail fishing boats and Chinese shop houses built over the sea remain as they did when the town served as one of Thailand’s busiest merchant hubs. It has a variety of very good restaurants both Thai and western all with in walking distance.
    Don't forget to stop in Hammock House for Hammocks and Batiks, Book a Longtail to outer islands like Ko Bubu, with Lanta Longtail, and visit the newly opened Islander's Museum.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Motorcycle

• tanyakahana's Profile Photo

Cooking Class

by tanyakahana Written Jul 26, 2009

"Time for Lime" cooking school, is a very pretty place where you can do a cooking class in an open air pavillon kitchen right next to the beach. There is a beach bar and a dining area (time for lime is also a restaurant) and they also offer bungalows to stay (but i can't evaluate them).
    We spent a very relaxing afternoon at time for lime, tasting, smelling, cooking, decorating our self-cooked dishes and feeling the breeze from the sea while drinking lemongrass-margharitas. perfect!!

Two classes daily: 12:30-17:30 (intro, curry paste+4 dishes)
    18:00-22:15 (intro+3 dishes)
    babysitting arrangable for parents

everyone gets a cooking apron to take home.

dining everyday from 6 pm

+++ There is also another cooking school on ko lanta, the lanta thai cookery school. also nice, outdoor kitchen, not on the beach though. less "staylish", more tradiotional, very nice chef!!www.lantathaicookeryschool.com+++

OLDEST TATTOO REDONE 2006

by mamasan69 Updated Jun 6, 2006

In what it seems to a ritual when I come to Koh Lanta, I once again got another tattoo. Well actually it was part my oldest tattoo getting recolored and then getting more added to it. Over the course of 10 days I ended up getting 3 seperate tattoos in the same area, to finally make 1 larger version of my old tat. Each session took on the average 3 hours each to complete, and cost me only around 8000bht.
    It was great seeing my old friends at Bamboo tattoo and meeting up with some new ones as well. The artist that did my tattoo this time around was only 15 years old. I was a little shocked when I heard it was going to be him doing my tat, but after seeing him do some work, I knew it would be OK.
    I already have plans for my next one and can't wait to get it on my next trip. It will be an addition to my first bamboo tattoo design, just with more shades of color added around it. I enjoyed my whole stay on Koh Lanta this time, but as always getting a new tattoo makes it that much better for me. On that note it was quite funny to see my picture hanging on display in the tattoo shop, it was from my previous trip when I got my name done in Thai.

GETTING STARTED-Koh Lanta OUTLINE FINISHED/OLD TATTOO-Koh Lanta 2 OUT OF 3 PARTS DONE-Koh Lanta ANOTHER VIEW-Koh Lanta 1ST PART FINISHED-Koh Lanta

• Kaynisa's Profile Photo

Reading by the beach

by Kaynisa Written May 7, 2006

Well if you are tired of swimming and dont know what else u want to do.. here's a great suggestion : READ! im sure most of you carry along a story book or something.. so why not hang around the beach side and read that book of urs.. and finish them up.... im sure while enjoying the scenario... u got good reading time spent....

• gabyne's Profile Photo

Elephant riding

by gabyne Written Mar 19, 2005

This was a really great experience. We "rented" an elephant (with her mahout) and went through the jungle.

Afterwards, we were allowed to feed her bananas. I don't remember her name, but I still know she was 40 years old!

It was also great to see how the mahout talked to the elephant and she "answered". The man raised her since she was a young one.

feeding the elephant
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Beaches

• Loops's Profile Photo

Elephant Trekking

by Loops Updated Apr 5, 2004

There are a couple of elephant treks you can go on. We went on one which took about an hour, through the rubber plantations.

The elephants are apparently not native to Lanta, they are ex-logging elephants which were shipped over to tourist areas after a ban on logging was brought in by the government, resulting in jobless elephants all over Thailand. If this is true (which I suspect it is as my trusty guidebook tells me so!) then at least the tourists are providing the elephants with a better lifestyle than hanging around busy streets begging for food.

The great thing about elephant trekking is that it is so quiet and peaceful - you don't imagine that elephants move about so silently, being such large animals, but as they walk through the forest, they are actually quieter than the average human!

The guides took us down a couple of quite steep banks which was weird as you feel like you're going to fall off, and we walked along a stream that was quite shallow as it was the dry season, however, they do the same route in the wet season and I saw photos of elephants in the stream up to their heads in water, which must be quite good fun.

We'd done an elephant trek once before in Ko Samui, but this one was better as it was longer and the land wasn't as flat.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the baby elephant show afterwards. When you get back to the centre, they bring out the baby elephant and it does some tricks like kicking a ball and putting a hat on the kids' heads, which is OK, but they also get it to balance on its trunk and things more suited to Disney's Dumbo film in my opinion - but apart from that, the whole trip was a good one.

checking out the rubber tapping

MORE TATTOOS

by mamasan69 Updated May 16, 2005

This is the sign at Bamboo Tattoo describing what the benefits of getting a traditional style tattoo are.
    The person getting the tattoo done in the shop was me, not that you can see me because I'm lying down.
    After getting a tattoo with the gun(machine) and now the traditional way, the sign is very accurate and truthful. I will try it again on one of my next trips to Koh Lanta for sure.

GETTING MY LATEST TAT-Koh Lanta SECOND TAT-Koh Lanta ALMOST FINISHED-Koh Lanta BAMBOO TATTOO SIGN-Koh Lanta

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Check out the cave... its pretty neat

by beaniezotzim Updated Sep 28, 2003

This cave was one of those "I-have-to-conquer-my-fear" adventures. Our friends came to this island the year before and told us to go to the cave, but then he proceeded to show me some pictures....of the spiders INSIDE the cave.... I was far from sold on this cave thing.

I did it though, and I don't regret it, although I did come VERY close to having a panic attack when I saw the spiders up close....... they are BIG. (getting the chills just writing this) blaghhh.....

some of the thing you can anticipate if you decide to do this are a good hike to the entrance, some very tight squeezes through some parts of the cave, muddy clothes, spiders, Bats, a pool in the pitch blackness of the cave if you want to cool off, and a really cool Stairway/ladder on your way back. It is worth it though. I am really glad I did it. Hope you enjoy if you plan to go!

Picture is of some of the bats that we saw....

Bats Ko Lanta

MY LATEST TATTOO

by mamasan69 Updated May 15, 2005

One of the main reasons for returning to Koh Lanta on my last trip was to get another tattoo. I returned to Bamboo Tattoo to meet up with many of the same guys and a new artist. I have had the idea for my tattoo(my full name in Thai) for about 8 months and finally got it a day after arriving here.
    I got the right spelling from my girlfriend and got the artist to expand it to fit my arm. It was just as painless, but still took about 3.5-4 hours to finish. Mind you I did take a few beer breaks during the whole process and this slowed it down a little. The tattoo cost me 3500bht and a bottle of whiskey, so again this was a good deal for me.
    I plan to go back and see the guys again on my next trip, but still don't know what my next tattoo will be yet.

NEW TATTOO-Koh Lanta BOTH OF MY THAI TATTOOS-Koh Lanta
    • School Holidays
    • Beer Tasting

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Catch at least one Beautiful sunset...

by beaniezotzim Written Sep 28, 2003

make it a point while you are here to see a beautiful sunset. We usually wound up eating dinner right about that time so we made it a point to eat out in the sand and watch the sun go down. I love the silhouette that the long tail boats made against the sunset...

This was my favorite part of ko lanta

sunset ko lanta

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Beaches

by deeper_blue Written Mar 4, 2012

There are actually two islands called Koh Lanta, Ko Lanta Noi and Ko Lanta Yai. Yai is the best and where you can find the nicer beaches. Here you can relax in paradise and get a cheap massage. Highly recommended!

• Learn to Surf koh Lanta

by hugogo Written Oct 22, 2011

I did lots of research online about Learning to Surf in Thailand and found out that Koh Lanta Watersports did good courses. I was not dissappointed. Sam is an excellent teacher. I did the full learn to surf course. It was broken down over a few days which was great as I was really tired after learning to paddle the first day. Sam also showed me safety and how to catch the waves and stand up. The beach - Klong Dao is really safe and the wave size perfect for beginners. I really liked the personal service and that there were no other crowds. I am hooked and cant wait to try again - even though the water wont be as warm at home! Great service and a fun time. They also teach windsurfing and kiting, wish I had moree time. Lanta was great in low season also - just the locals, really chill, and the weather not bad at all.

• Windsurfing
    • Surfing

Instant Answers: Ko Lanta

Comments

Ko Lanta Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ko Lanta things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Lanta sightseeing.