Ko Lanta Warnings and Dangers

WHERE I STAYED-Koh Lanta.
    by mamasan69
    The rain starts
    by traceyspacey
    It continues
    by traceyspacey

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ko Lanta

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Be prepared in the wet season and have patience

by traceyspacey Written Jan 9, 2008
    The rain starts

We were in Ko Lanta in the end of the wet season. One day it rained so hard that umbrellas would have been useless and most people kept of the roads.

Be prepared to get stuck somewhere for several hours. Fortunately for us we were in the Brit Cafe with free use of the internet. We were there for 4 hours, expats that we spoke to said that was the worse rain that they had seen in sometime.

• Beaches

FIRE

by mamasan69 Updated May 20, 2005

WHERE I STAYED-Koh Lanta.

I heard from the owners daughter of the Lanta Sunny House, that only two weeks before we arrived, that they had a terrible fire. The fire was caused by somebody having tea candles lit inside their bungalo. The fire not only destroyed his room but six others that were right beside it. She told me the guy was very sorry for causing the blaze (no really?), but it cost him around 3 million baht for the damages.
    Keep this in mind if you light anything inside your rooms. It doesn't take much to set the whole place in flames, and in some areas they don't have the best fire fighting capablities most people visiting, are probably used to.

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

WHO DIDN'T PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL?

by mamasan69 Updated May 20, 2005

MY BROTHER BEHIND THE BAR-Koh Lanta.

On the island of Koh Lanta the power is shut down sometimes during the afternoon. It is usually only off for a few hours, but it gets quite hot in the room when it does. It is something to consider if you are spending money on air conditioned rooms.
    I heard from people staying here, that the generator is shut down at various times, and this causes the problem.
    ****UPDATE****Once again I did notice the power go out on a few occasions this last trip. The first time was in the early morning, and caused my fan to shut off. This made for an early start because it was so hot. The second time was a litlle more of an adventure. It was after a hard night of drinking and I can tell you this made for a long, dark stumble down the path to my room(getting the key in the hole was the hardest).

BEACH GLASS/ROADS

by mamasan69 Updated May 20, 2005

THE SIGN IN FRONT OF MY DOOR-Koh Lanta.

On the stretch of beach I explored I did notice quite a bunch of glass in the sand. It might be a good idea for people to wear something on their feet when walking on the beach or in the water.
    If you rent scooters here the roads are terrible in areas, so watch out. I saw a little child fly off the back of his mothers bike after hitting a big hole in the road. The child was fine fortunately, but it could have been much worse.
    If you have a chance to vote for road reconstruction (internet cafe), as we did, I think it is a very good idea. Maybe if enough people vote for it, the government will have no choice but to improve these roads on Ko Lanta.
    ****UPDATE****The construction has finally started to repave the whole road, it should be finished in 6-8 months, from what I heard. This is great news and will make a positive impact on the dust in the air.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

MAN.... the sand is FREAKIN HOT

by beaniezotzim Written Sep 28, 2003

I am NOT jokin when I say this... the sand was so hot that if you didn't wear your sandals down to the waters edge, you burnt your feet. the beach isnt that big either. Seriously, take this tip to heart... don't forget, that sand is HOT!

Instant Answers: Ko Lanta

Comments

Ko Lanta Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ko Lanta warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Lanta sightseeing.