Ko Phangan Things to Do

by hash09
    by hash09

Best Rated Things to Do in Ko Phangan

• austarman's Profile Photo

Swim in a natural mountain pool

by austarman Updated Jan 24, 2007

Natural mountain pool

Not to far out from Haad rin on the way to Baan Tai there is a turn off to the right to the "river on stone"natural pool and waterfall.
    It is a little out of the way to get to but well worth the effort.
    When it gets hot during the day and you want to cool off, then this is a great place to come.
    The very cool and clean water coming down off the mountain will wake you up and cool you down as it did to me.
    After a dip here I felt revitalized and very refreshed.
    There is a resturant and cold drinks here and bungalo's as pictured for 500 baht per night.
    There is a 20 baht fee for the pool.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

THE FULL MOON PARTY, THE BAD.

by mamasan69 Updated Jun 10, 2005

THE DROP IN BAR-Koh Phangan.

The party itself was a great time, however there were a few things that did bother me about it.

First was the garbage on the beach, it is nasty. After a number of hours of people partying, the beach and water are littered with bottles, glass, cups, people urinating and even passed out.

Second would be the "cattle like" approach that the people waiting for the boats back behave like. As soon a any boat comes near the pier people are scrambling, pushing, and even jumping to get on. The funny part to this is that the boat operators only take the people with valid tickets, so many are forced to get off anyway. I did see a couple of people actually hurt themselves on the propellers, trying to get on board the boat before it had stopped.

On a final note I thought all the different types of music coming at me in every direction, was going to give me a heartattack......or maybe it was the "shake" we had.

• Music
    • Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Full Moon Party

by LakeFever Written Nov 27, 2005

The origin of the party....this is right where it

Just a good time...if you like to party then you will like the Full Moon. It was quite the sight...everything you could imagine...and some really *** faced people!.....I guess I might be included in that, but seriously, some people were *** canned....
    You could basically arrive there at anytime in the evening/morning...the party went right through the night till the sun came up and past....transportation is available from all over the island and Samui as well...just be prepared to be crowded and pay a little more to get to and fro that evening...above and beyond that have an open mind and be ready for anything...you can chill, dance, people watch, go eat at a restaurant, walk around, dance some more.....try no to look at the ocean past 2 in the morning as it turns into a giant toilet.....speaking of which..take change as the only bathrooms really worth using are the pay ones just off the beach...at least they are clean and uncrowded...cost about 20 baht each time.
    Watch out for lady boys and protitutes....people dancing out of control.....fire dancers (stay clear) and anyone looking to cause ***....the three of us had no problems....of course minus the hitch loosing his shoes and mind....neither were really found!
    We returned to haad rin on our way off the island for a couple of evenings....way more chiiled and relaxed with some of the same tunes and party atmosphere in the evenings...was a nice way to get out of there...and you could swim during the day.
    enjoy the party for what it is!

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

THE FULL MOON PARTY, THE GOOD...

by mamasan69 Updated Jun 7, 2005

FIRE SIGN-Koh Phangan.

When we arrived in Thailand (Bangkok) we only had about a day and a half to make it to the Full Moon Party on Koh Pha-Ngan. We made it just in time, after a bus and boat ride, of course.

After getting our return boat tickets in Ko Samui for the party, we waited for our fast boat to take us there. It was a dark, wet, and bumpy ride but we made it in one piece.

Walking to the beach, we passed by many fellow full mooners on the streets, in various states of intoxication. When we got to the beach it was quite a surprising site. There were thousands of people going nuts for a far as you could see both directions down the beach. Not to mention the massive music mixture pounding out of every bar, and the crazy lightshow at the end of the beach.

On the beach we went to purchase a "shake" and sat in a couple of the bars. After sitting for a while we had to move and check out some of the action. The people were painted up in neon colors, taking part in dancing, the fireshow, or passed out on the beach. After wandering around the crowd, up and down the beach a few dozen times, we sat down again and watched the fire show. The show seems to go on forever, and most of them were quite good to see.

Before we knew it, we had to start back to the pier and wait for our pickup boat back to Samui. Needless to say only my cousin made it back on the boat, my brother and I missed it. Oh well, this gave us the chance to have something to eat in the morning and grab another "shake".

We made other arrangements for a slow boat and enjoyed watching the sick mooners on the way back. I wouldn't mind going back again, however I heard that the half-moon party is better???

• School Holidays
    • Music

Snorkel day trip.

by LakeFever Written Oct 14, 2006

They all cost around 400Baht

They sell these trips all over the island....the most variety Ive seen is from the Chikcen corner in Haad Rin...there must be 4 or 5 different tours. They usualy run from 11am-5pm. Transportation by boat, snorkel, swim, lunch, etc....400-600 baht.. You meet tons of people too, just make sure you go on a real sunny day.....choose one that goes to koh ma to snorkel....thats the best place around the island.
    Note: there is a tour called the munchies tour and another called the reggae tour.....both include smoke, if thats your thing. From what I understand its quite the gong show....they dont stop! hahaha.
    Have fun.

• LakeFever's Profile Photo

Easy to meet people if you want to.

by LakeFever Written Nov 27, 2005

Looking North.....we were to the left of the blue

If your open to meeting others there is no doubt you will...each night we met different people...sommetimes we hung out with them for an hour or two and others for a couple days.....if you wan to be alone people respect that too...especialy on this beach where it wasnt very crowded at all....of course for me I need some semblance of a night life...we started by throwing a little social on our balcony...attendees were simply people who walked by and showed interest...the tunes were playing and of course we always had a good time....a regae bar is a must as well and usualy is the starting point for some sort of night life - although very laid back...literally.
    We spent four nights here and then ended up taking another long boat up the coast going north west of bottle beach. Paid our Tab on the way out and it basically came down to $2000 baht ea for everything - bungalow, food, and booze....was quite the deal and sealed an impression of Thailand in my mind that is taking me back for Christmas once again this year. Every day I woke up wondering how I could be more relaxed than the day before....but certainly I was...incredible! Staying here also got me turned on to the "healthy option" for breakfast....fruit, yogurt and granola.....for 50 cents you cant beat it!

Visit Haad Salad beach

by austarman Updated Jan 15, 2006

The quickest way to get to Haad Salad

This was one of my favorite beaches in Koh Phangan.
    Its white sand and clear warm waters are very good indeed.
    It is not isolated or empty as many are but yau can easy spend a lazy day doing a lot or nothing at this beautiful beach.
    There are resturants and drinks,massages and all sorts of beach activities available to you here,or you can just swim or float around and do nothing.

• Beer Tasting

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Than Prawet Falls

by beaniezotzim Written Sep 22, 2003

Monkey KO Phangan

Waterfall near Than nai Pan. If you are staying at Than Nai Pan, take a walk up to this waterfall. It is a pretty mellow walk, not hard for most people, I concider myself to be a sissy when it comes to uphill hiking and I didn't complain about it, I was a tiny bit out of breathe, but not too bad. besides, you can take a rest and cool off in one of the small (2-3 person) pools on your way up to the main falls area. there is a larger pool up here.

While climbing up to the falls we met up with a cute little monkey friend that belongs to the bungalow operation near lower part of the waterfall. She followed us up to the falls and came back with us too!

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Check out the Monitor Lizards

by beaniezotzim Written Sep 22, 2003

Monitor lizard Ko phangan

from the two Than Nai Pan beaches, the monitor lizards are in the middle of the two, up on the bluff. There is a local that feeds them at a certain time every day, of course I don't remember what that time is, but its pretty cool to see these big dangerous lizards so close up.

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Thai cooking course is a must!

by kimmo_v Updated Aug 14, 2003

Our teacher Mrs. Thitirat Sumnaingmai

We had a private cooking course in Paanburi, at the restaurant called Smiling Kitchen.
    The owner of the place is very nice lady, who does speaks english with funny oriental accent.
    We made Tom Yam seafood and Red Curry Chicken, from the beginning(also the paste).
    It tooked 2-3 hours, and was really great. There werent electricity at all that time, so thank god for the gas!
    The food, i may say, was just superb, and we learnt some really valuable tips. Those tips are secrets, so i cant share them with you, sorry for that...:-)

Hat Rin

by AndreSTGT Updated Apr 23, 2004

Hat Rin

If you're looking for tranquility don't even think about going to Hat Rin, it's a huge noisy resort, the beach is often packed and mostly too shallow to swim.
    If you want to party all night long, however, this is the place to be.
    Although i still enjoy paying a visit to Hat Rin whenever i'm on the island, i have to say that the beach is getting more and more messed up.

Ao Thong Nai Pan Noi

by AndreSTGT Updated May 24, 2005

Ao Thong Nai Pan Noi

This is the most beautiful beach on the island!!!
    When i first visited a couple of years ago, it was still pretty much off-the-beaten track, this has changed and now there's even a bit of nightlife here, but Thong Nai Pan is still a very laid-back place and hasn't lost its magic.
    The only problem might be that once you have been to Thong Nai Pan you'll be spoilt for the rest of your life.
    Paradise!!!!

Bottle Beach

by AndreSTGT Updated Jan 15, 2004

Bottle Beach

This is another gorgeous beach in the island's beautiful North-East. It's no longer an insider tip, but just like Nai Pan, still a beautiful place to chill out and do nothing. This beach was once declared 'one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world' by a popular travel magazine.

• vigi's Profile Photo

FULL MOON PARTY

by vigi Written Apr 7, 2003

In 1987, Koh Phangan was very quiet and very remote. There were a small group of travellers staying there. Each full moon, the friends would walk to the sunset side of the island to light a fire, play an acoustic guitar, and listen to music powered by a car battery. Then the folks running Paradise Bungalows on the sunrise side decided to move the party to their side of the island, more and more travellers were staying with them, eventually the party was moved. It is the Kursakul family who run Paradise Bungalows who started the Full Moon Party.
    It's quite impressive that the Full Moon Party has not only continued to be popular all this time, but that it has actually grown.

The party cranked up around 9pm as a thousand people gathered on Haad Rin beach. The full moon glowed above us in the crystal clear night sky. There were DJs on the beach who cranked dance tracks until 9am the next morning. Some people slept on the beach, some swim with a glorious sunrise.

Swim in a natural mountain pool Pt 2

by austarman Updated Jan 24, 2007

I really enjoyed this cool down!

This place is called the Sramanora waterfall or "River on stone"
    The bungalo's in the background are only 500 Baht per night but Im not sure what they have in them as I just went there for a cooling swim.
    There is a great family run restuarant here too with some excellent mountain views.
    A piece of advice: If you have a moterbike you can ride all the way up to this pool so don't park in the carpark and walk...Too far!

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Motorcycle

Instant Answers: Ko Phangan

Comments

Ko Phangan Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ko Phangan things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Phangan sightseeing.