Ko Phi Phi Don Local Customs

Best Rated Local Customs in Ko Phi Phi Don

Nina a cute girl

Nina and me

This little girl, she is so cute, and when she saw me for the first time at her house, she so shy, and she did not stop from looking at me (now she made me shy too). she talk alots and she really talk active kind of person.. she is a baby sister to ibrahim, my tour guide... she likes me to be in the family but ibrahim told her, i cant speak thai, so i cant be in the family (as inbrahim translate it to me), so i just laugh at her... that is so funny of her... for the last night i met with her, we walk to the small town and she walk with holding my hand.. she so wonderful and cute person.

• hash09's Profile Photo

"Beck" speak up about his sadness

by hash09 Updated May 15, 2006

Look around & think about what we have in our life

At my guest house, at my left and right site there are neighbours from canada... and i saw a few local people was staying with them too... they always make noise but i did not bother about it... as they saw me going to my room, the local boy say hello to me... and reply with smile and say hello to them too... and again they prefer to speak thai with me... so i just say, i dont speak thai and they show me a weired face... so i told them im from malaysia, so this guy this noded his head, so i just leave them with their canadian friends.

In that everning, i am not going anywhere, coz i feel sick from drinking a lots of sea water (as almost drownning for the 1st snorkeling) So i just sit at the stairs with my water, and a pack of cigarrate with me and i had my journal book on my hips.... i love to write about anything that crossed my head, then one of the local guy turn up from that canadian room, he was sitting on the balcony and try to talk with me... yes we did talk about where im from, im here with whom and such... then he came and sit next to me (he did ask a permission to do so, very nice of him) then we had coversation, we talk about a lots of thing including the sound of ants at night, he even can hear the sound of wave from the back of the mountain which is 20mins away (walk), we had fun in our conversation, we smile we laugh and we seems like an old friends and talk about life, journey and such.... then he start to talk Tsunami.

"Beck" speak up about his sadness 2

by hash09 Updated Apr 28, 2006

Look around & think about what we have in our life

Then we sit again at the stairs where we sat earlier, and we continue to talk, he said, before this, he have a lots of friends, but now, his friends can be count, and that canadian guys are friends of him since a few years back, that what he have, and other 3 of his local friends. I was asking him where he was when the wave came, then he said, he was on the boat on that time, he can't run anywhere, so he just look at it and pray, he depent on his faith for what will come to him soon.. then i said, you are lucky because you save from the big wave.. then he just silent and i can see he look so sad.. then he said, im not lucky.. i don't feel lucky.. then i understand what he meant.. we always try to break a subject just to wash away the sadness that he felt... because i can feel it too.

"Beck" speak up about his sadness 3

by hash09 Written Apr 28, 2006

Open your mind and feel lucky about your life

To beak a silent, then he ask me, why i am there alone without a friends, so i told him that sadness bring me to phuket and to phi phi, i came witout a friends because, i dont need friends to have fun, they just a knife for me who likes to stap me from the back.. kills me slowly, then he just nodded his head and understand what i mean. then he ask me about boyfriends (special) i said i did not meet anyone special so far, then he reply with shock face, how come a beautiful girl like you dont have a boyfriends.. so i told him, doesn't mean someone who are beautiful can have everything they want... or they supposed to be happy and such... i told him, the honesty that i look for in someone, their humounity, loving, caring and rinsponsible... he totally agree about it (im happy he agree about it).

"Beck" speak up about his sadness 4

by hash09 Written Apr 28, 2006

Then i ask him, do you have a girlfriends ? then he became silent.... look sharp at one point, he seems thinking of something (i did not get it why he acting like that, ( what a slow thinking i had, he think about the sad experience... silly me!!) but i just wait till he give me a respond) then still look at that point and said in a slow voice "she is in paradise" i did not get what he try to say (eng in thai assents, hard to understand him actually) then he said again in a same voice " in paradise" then i get what it means.... she died in the tsunami hits... he said, he always think of her, it been a year plus already he think about her, always have her in his dreams, always think about the best moment being with her... he seems like yesterday for him.. but i told him, whatever had happen, its not the thing that you want, its your faith, you can't live like this all your life, you have to do something with your life, go out there and do something to riddoff all this thing in your head, she gone and she never come back.. and you, who still live in this world, you should go on you life, you yourself have to change your life to the better... you can't live like this... this is your faith, things has been wrote, you have to carry on your life, do whatever it take to change it.. you can't go back with thinking about her... when i was talking to him and advice him, he look sharp at one point, and he nodded his head... then he said to me, i never spoke to any lady since i lost her.... then he look at me, he said, you are the first person and the first lady that i ever talk too since the tsunami hit... because when i 1st saw you, you are someone who have a good heart... and i willing to talk with about everything which i kept in my heart for so long.... i was so touch, my heart bits goes hard and it made it almost droped my tears, but i dont want that happen... then we just been silent for a while.....

"Beck" speak up about his sadness 5

by hash09 Written Apr 28, 2006

To break a silent, he ask... if i have a family or not, i said, yes, i still have the both parents, and he smile showing his teeth (can see his happy for me... but i dont dare to ask about his family, it seems he dont want to talk about it) then he ask me... all of them small like you ? then i just laugh... i said, yes what make you ask me like that i ask him, then he said.. it because u have nice body... then again i just laugh... so i ask him, so your family also thin like you too huh!! ? he lost his smile somehow...then said, no my father and my family all fat... im the only person who are thin... because i took herbs he said... he made me laugh... then i understand what he meant... (i smell marijuana from my room earlier) then i said... hhaaa!! i know your secrete... then he said... well, i like to see people happy, all my friends here came to be happy, this 2 canadian guy are very young... and he wanted to be happy... so i gave what they want... i just say "yes"... then he said... i like to see you smile, so i make you happy... i just laugh at it and say thank you... then he became silent again.. then he said, you are really honest person, and we spoke heart to heart... i like to be your friends and keep in touch with you... then he ask for my book for him to write his email address... he said, he cannot read english... but i said, how you wanted to read if i write something to you ? he just told me that he have friends who will write for him... and after that we just had a normal conversation.....

• hash09's Profile Photo

Time to say good night to "Beck"

by hash09 Written Apr 28, 2006

We been talking for hours, and all the mosquito had fun with my blood... i got bitten by mosquito, and i was always yawning all the time... he said, you look sleepy, u better get rest... i dont want to let him go.. he such a nice person to talk too... but still i have to sleep... and we end our conversation with saying "goodnite"

In our conversation, we had fun, smile, laugh and almost to tears... i really love my journey, i got a lots of experience of life from people who have adventure life like "beck" he really a calm guy.

"Beck" speak up about his sadness 1

by hash09 Written Apr 28, 2006

Beck start his conversation with saying, before this, he have a lots of fun in his life, do a lots of crazy things with his friends, his life full of joy, happyness, and love... but now, things has change a lots a lots since the tsunami... he began lose his smile, he look far and think of something which is away from his real life now, then he went down from the stairs where we sits and went to the right site of the guest room, then he called me and said, come i want to show you something... so i just follow him and stand where he stand, in the dark, he try to show me something, he said... look at those light, do you see it.. i said yes.. then he said, before this, this place were bushes, a lots of trees, nothing can be seen, not even that light, this place change a lots, nothing like before... again he said, things has change a lots since the tsunami hit, it change my life too.. my life no longer like before.. my life has change... then we walk to where we sit

• Nina-Maarit's Profile Photo

LOCAL CURRENCY

by Nina-Maarit Updated Feb 17, 2003

Picture from www.amazing-thailand.com

The local currency is baht (1 THB = ca. 0.02 EUR/USD). There is a couple of banks and an ATM in the village.

Note: Do not handle the local currency disrespectfully (e.g. do not step on it), since it has the image of the King’s head on it, and the Thais are very sensitive to any disrespect towards their monarchy.

"Beck" favourite Songs

by hash09 Updated May 2, 2006

Sometimes me and "Beck" have talk about music, he have ask me about what type of music that i like, well.. i always love dance and house music and that when i go for clubing, for relaxing or i often listen is metal, alternative, pop and hip hop.. that is my favourite, and his favourite is alternative and house.

He have one favourite songs, but he never know what it means but he likes the songs that much... he let me listen to his favourite songs, it also my favourite songs... its from 3 doors down, here without you... he tells me what his understand from the songs... but his understand wrong from it, so i explain to him what it means... then he became silent and look sharp at one point and he just silent, it is related to the one he love and the one that he think of most of the time. To what i had in mind, he might think that he like the songs because its related to what he have been throught.

• austarman's Profile Photo

Phi Phi Memorial park.

by austarman Updated Apr 4, 2011

Photo's and poems of the victims

Tsunami Memorial Garden is right next to the Tia and Millie Sunflower Bar; a beautiful place for quiet contemplation and paying one's respects to the victims of the December 26th 2004 tragedy.
    There are many photo's poems and memorial plaques here as a memorial to the victims.
    About 1300 people lost thier lives on these islands.
    The garden is located at the far end of Dalum beach next to the Sunflower bar.

• Nina-Maarit's Profile Photo

DRESS DECENTLY IN THE VILLAGE

by Nina-Maarit Written Dec 31, 2002

The local people living in the Tonsai Village are muslims, so please do not go to the village wearing just bikini - they find it offensive. If you come straight from the beach, you can cover your bikini e.g. with a large scarf.

Local Crafts and Souvenir Items

by machomikemd Written Nov 14, 2012

Tonsai Village in Ko Phi Phi Don has a vibrant local souvenir and local craft market and there are lots of shops and stalls at the village selling various items for the tourists to buy and they even sell fresh fruits and shakes. off course, most of these items are not manufactured on the island and are just shipped from the mainland but there are local artisans too that ply their crafts and paintings as the area as a small and flourishing art community too. you can buy many things on the island but be read to haggle as prices here are definitely higher than in Phuket.

choose the item or items that you would buy and buy them.

More local Crafts and Souvenirs

by machomikemd Written Nov 14, 2012

More pictures of the assorted wares that you can buy at Tonsai village

choose the item or items that you would buy and buy them.

Phi Phi and Krabi Shot Glasses

by machomikemd Written Nov 14, 2012

I'm an avid collector of fridge or refrigerator magnets of my travels and here on a revisit in Thailand and here at Phi Phi Islands at krabi province is no different and being a tourism oriented country, it has a wide selection of assorted souvenir items and tons and tons of assorted fridge magnets of all designs and shapes and are made from magnetized strips, aluminum with magnet pins inside, wooden carvings with magnets, pewter fridge magnets, porcelain fridge magnets and a whole lot more. they are available everywhere in Bangkok and the average price of a fridge magnet withour haggling is 100 baht but you can bring it down up to 60 baht if you are good in haggling skills!

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Ko Phi Phi Don

Comments

Ko Phi Phi Don Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Ko Phi Phi Don local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Phi Phi Don sightseeing.

View all Ko Phi Phi Don hotels