Related Ko Samui Favorites Tips

Lake chaweng
    by austarman
    The Airport from the viewpoint.
    by austarman
    Buddha inside the Khao Hua Jook temple.

Most Viewed Favorites in Ko Samui

A DREAM COME TRUE

by mamasan69 Updated May 10, 2005

Favorite thing: This is a tough one, since this was my first trip I let my brother show me the way through most things. However, I guess I could blend a few activities together, until after my next trip and then I can answer this a little better.
    On that note, I would have to say that the beaches and nightlife were tops on my list this time. Chaweng beach is great and it was a very nice place to swim and stay on. The bars including the Green Mango, but especially the Reggae Pub, will bring me back to Koh Samui forever.

Fondest memory: The beach, food, people, sites, parties, bar scene, and most of all the Thailand atmosphere. I plan to go back every five months from now on, so I will keep this list updated for sure.

STAIRCASE TO BEACH-Koh Samui.
    • Beaches

• Pomska's Profile Photo

General

by Pomska Updated Aug 9, 2005

Favorite thing: Koh Samui is a small island and you could easily drive around it in a day. There's a motorway which goes around the island (50 km). The best way to arrive for the island is by plane. We arrived by bus and ferry and it wasn't a pleasant way of travelling. There is approximately 40 000 inhabitants in the island. Life in Samui is easy-going and relaxed.

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Massage

by phil_uk_net Written Mar 9, 2003

Fondest memory: Not just Samui but everywhere in Thailand is it possible to get great massages for hardly any money. Whether you want a hard Thai-style workout of something more soothing everything is available!
    I was chatting to these girls for a while but didn't indulge myself on this particular occasion.

Thai massage

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Old cars

by phil_uk_net Updated May 27, 2003

Fondest memory: One of the great things about so-called developing countries is the old cars you see around the place. This fabulous old Merc would have been consigned to the scrapheap years ago in Europe but it is still running strong in Thailand. Wouldn't this be a great vehicle to cruise around in?

Old Merc

• JoJo_of_the_west's Profile Photo

Be Prepared

by JoJo_of_the_west Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I cannot give enough praise to the Lonely Planet guide series. It was indispensable on this trip. A simple phrase book is good as well. As always, an attempt to communicate (e.g., please, thank-you, yes, no, hello, goodbuy, etc.) is appreciated when you are out of your normal element. I would purchase the guide book before you depart from home then get the phrase book after you arrive at BKK - Asia Books is a good source for english language publications. Also, regardless of the time of year that you travel to Ko Samui, I would highly recommend a wind breaker or some rain gear. You may not need it but the extra weight is not a factor.

• Adventure Travel

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Thai Immigration

by MikeAtSea Written Nov 8, 2006

Favorite thing: Entry into Thailand is relativley easy. Almost every nationality obtains a visa for 30 days at the point of entry. Only a hand full of nationalities require a visa to enter the Kingdom. The 30 day visa however is very difficult to extend once in Thailand. The visa run – as people call it who wish to stay longer, means to return to the border and re-enter Thailand for another 30 days. Tourist visas issued at a Thai Embassy are valid for two months and can be extended once within the country.

Thai Passport Stamps
    • Business Travel

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Thai Police Officers

by ATXtraveler Updated Aug 18, 2006

Favorite thing: Koh Samui is a very popular tourist site, so there is always a concern for public safety. At no time when we were in Koh Samui did we feel unsafe, especially with plenty of law enforcement officers. Many were on motorcycles, or patrolling the ferry landing such as this police officer. It seemed as if this particular officer was used to the crowds, as he took time to smile for each passing tourist!

Say hello to the next one, and get a smile as you pass by!

Fondest memory: Important Numbers in Koh Samui:
    Samui Rescue (Ambulance) 077-421 444
    Fire Dept Nathon 106 ou 199
    Police : Emergencies 191

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Girly Bars

by clouds111 Written Jun 15, 2007

Favorite thing: There are lots of girly bars around Chaweng - normally around the backstreets near the Reggae Bar and Green Mango. These bars are full of young Thai girls whose main aim is to attract the men into the bars to spend their money.... Although not strictly just for men, me and my friend were almost dragged, and I mean literally dragged, into some of them!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Eating Pad Thai in Thailand

by ATXtraveler Updated Aug 19, 2006

Favorite thing: During our lunch meal, we were happy to eat a little of the most well known dish in Thai cooking. Pad Thai is essentially Rice Noodles, which are cooked in a oil with egg, carrot, a few other vegetables and chicken or beef and then wokked.

I definitely like it, and as you can see, so did Sarah!

FIRST TIME WITH KIKI

by mamasan69 Written Apr 2, 2007

Favorite thing: Even though I have had a number of tips to this island, this was the first time I got the chance to go with my girl Kiki. The main things that I wanted her to experience was the beach and the Reggae Pub. Both of these turned out to be better then I expected after almost 1 1/2 years since my previous visit. I have always stayed on Chaweng beach and knew that even though it is nice, it also has it bad points. I decided that I would rather take her to a quieter area and it was also a place I had never been to myself. This choice turned out great as Maenam beach had everything that I was used to on Chaweng, but without all the noise and crowds of people. Besides, when we did go into Chaweng to go to the Reggae Pub, it was only a short taxi ride away. From here generally we did what I usually do, hang out during the day and party at night.... got to love it!!!

Fondest memory: On this trip to Samui, one of the first memories of going with Kiki was when we were coming in on the boat from Surat Thani. The sun was just coming up and I was at the back of the boat listening to my music, taking the girl I love to one my favorite islands to visit.

BYE BYE-Koh Samui HAPPY POSE?-Koh Samui SPIDER-Koh Samui ME AND A VISITOR-Koh Samui HANGING OUT-Koh Samui
    • Beer Tasting

SHORT VISIT TO SAMUI, THIRD TRIP

by mamasan69 Updated May 10, 2005

Favorite thing: I was only here for a very short time on this trip compared to my first two. I still managed to see many of my favourite spots, as well as a couple new ones.
    My days were spent swimming and suntanning. At night I did go to the Reggae Pub two times and also went to a kareoke bar (no I didn't sing), for a little change. During my time once again at the Reggae Pub, I ran into old friends and met some new ones. I also went to many of the same restaurants to meet some of these people.

Fondest memory: The main reasons I keep coming back to Samui now are my friends that live there, and the fact that I meet many new ones each trip. So if you like to meet new poeple, I defintely would recommend Samui, I know I will come back.

SIGN FROM PFC BAR-Koh Samui
    • School Holidays

• jamiesamui's Profile Photo

Great Food

by jamiesamui Updated May 17, 2003

Favorite thing: If your a first time traveller to Samui or Thailand in general you have no doubt heard some great things about the thai cusine & you will find that most of it is true. the only negative I have found & it`s nothing major,is the sometime small servings of the dish you have ordered. I have found the easiest way around this (if your with a group)is to order a number of dishes with a plate of steamed rice & share the dishes amongst yourselves. However if your by yourself like I was last time you might find yourself eating several more times than you`re used too especially between lunch & dinner(I know I did)

Fondest memory: I just love the place so I miss every thing

One of the larger serves

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Full moon party

by clouds111 Updated Oct 26, 2007

Favorite thing: If you are lucky enough to be there during the full moon there are boats leaving several times daily from Big Buddha Pier (Bang Rak) and Maenam to Ko Phangan (Haad Rin beach)where the party is held. Just book your ferry ticket in any travel agency on the island, or directly on the pier. You can also go by a speed-boat from the Bo Phut or Maenam piers on the North of Koh Samui.

• Sajt's Profile Photo

First Impressions

by Sajt Written Mar 3, 2003

Favorite thing: When I arrived the island. I didn't know what to do, where to go, but I didn't worry about it.. You always find something on the island.Sometimes cheaper, sometimes expensiver. For example I had to look around for a cheap bungalow for almost two hours, but I found it. Right on the beach 300 Bat for two person. If you don't want ot be right on the beach, enough to pay 150 Bat. This is not a ***** place, but enough to stay.

Samui Island

• Sajt's Profile Photo

August

by Sajt Written Mar 3, 2003

Favorite thing: August is not the main season in Samui. That is mean everything is cheaper a little bit and you don't have to see so many people. You can enjoy the beaches on your own. August is rainy in usually in Thailand, but we had good times on Samui Island. We didn't had so many sunny hours, but wehad enough for getting color for our skin. I think if the sunshine is to much you have to start worry about skin burning.

Beach of Samui Island

The Tongsai Bay
Lawana Resort
Latest: Jun 24, 2014

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

Comments

Ko Samui Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ko Samui locals.
Map of Ko Samui