Language, Ko Samui

by mamasan69
  • jamiesamui's Profile Photo

Basic communication

by jamiesamui Updated Oct 4, 2006

As with any foreign country it is an advantage to learn some basic communication terms.In thai it is handy to know the following terms.

Sa-wa-dee khap for males,Sa-wa-dee ka for females(hello or goodbye).

Kap kun khap for males,kap kun ka for females(thank you).

Other handy one`s are

Cow jye my(do you understand)

Cow jye(yes i do)

My cow jye(no I don`t)

Choo-ay dai mai (Can you help me )

Gee(as in guest) baht (how many baht is this)

Mai ao ( as in cow) khap or ka I don`t want. politely

My Pen Rai khap or ka ( your welcome )

Dee Maak ( very good )

A good one for all you single men to learn (but never say)is Pom raak kun (I love you)

This not the correct spelling,just the easiest way I found for english pronounciation.
    If you have even the most basic knowledge of the thai language you will be surprised how it will help you.I used a book called Thai for beginners by Benjawan Poomsan Becker.It`sgot everything you need.I also used some web sites that have thai people pronouncing the words and phrases.Go to a search engine e,g Google and enter learn to speak thai and Bob`s your aunty.

• hash09's Profile Photo

Hard to find thai people can speak english

by hash09 Written May 15, 2005

with one of thai people

Thai people.

Talking about the people here, the local people are so friendly, we can see it from the moment we are inside the train, they try to talk to us even we cannot understand what are they try to say, and one of the boy who work inside the train will stopping by at our place as often as he can and try to communicate and talk with us, I think he just interested to talk with me and my Boy friend is because we are from very different races. To communicate with the people there we are using the hands language or signal because not many local can speak English. Since I am also Asian like them, most of the time they will speak Thai with me, that would be fun at first, but when it happen quite often, so I just get annoying by it, but I understand that they don’t recognized me as other visitors as well.

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

TRY THE LANGUAGE

by mamasan69 Updated May 8, 2005

LEAVING THE ISLAND-Koh Samui

On my first visit everything was so new I didn't get much of a chance to let the language sink in. During my last trip however I had a better opportunity to learn some of the local language. When I arrived by myself this time, it kind of forced me to try and understand the local language. When I was with my girl, she would help me to pronounce words better and this helped a great deal. .
    I noticed that even an attempt at using the language produced a respective response, in most situations. I expect that I will learn as much more on each future visit as I can, and look forward to the results. I found this to be true again on my last trip while touring with my new girlfriend and her friends.

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

Comments

Other Local Customs in Ko Samui