Ko Samui What to Pack

Overstuffed suitcase.
    For the boring days.
    by Princess_Emily
  • PADI Certification and your Dive Log Book.
    PADI Certification and your Dive Log...

Most Recent What to Pack in Ko Samui

• Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

No Overstuffed Suitcases.

by Princess_Emily Updated Aug 1, 2009

Overstuffed suitcase.

Luggage and bags: No overstuffed suitcases, stop packing stuff your not gonna wear, and if your bags are overweight at the check in counter, you'll wind up paying for the extra kilos.
    If your planning on doing some island hopping, travel lite, would recommend a backpack for easy on, easy off, when boarding boats.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: T-Shirts, Shorts, Sandals, maybe a hat, definitely sunglasses, and sunblock, leave your watch at home, your on vacation.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toilet paper, sanitary wipes, and a small bottle of Germ X waterless soap are nice to have around.
    Medical supplies, all the prescription drugs your doctor has you on, and or, a bottle of pain killer for the day after a hard nights partying.

Photo Equipment: Don't forget the waterproof / airtight camera cases for underwater photography.
    Power adapters, Chargers, Plug adapters and a extra SD Card for those who really enjoy taking lots of photo's.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Plenty of snorkel / dive gear to rent, but for the discerning diver, bringing some of your own equipment is cool.

Miscellaneous: The weather turns bad, you have no choice but to stay indoors, a Nintendo DS or other game console can keep your children, or the child in you, entertained.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Mosquito Repellent

by clouds111 Updated Sep 4, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I would bother bring any clothes to dress up in of an evening. Everywhere you go the dress code is relaxed and mainly beachwear especially in the clubs as it gets sweaty!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: No need to bring many toiletries as there are plenty of shops to buy them from. Suggest Imodium though, although again you can probably get this or some form of it there.

Miscellaneous: Mosquito repellent is a must here. I used the Jungle Formula which worked a treat but I did forget to put it on once and regretted it. I've never seen so many mozzies in my life, particularly around the lake area!!

• JessH's Profile Photo

How to avoid Mozzies, Blisters, Sunburn, etc.!

by JessH Updated Jul 10, 2007

Use lots of Mosquito repellant! Ko Samui

Luggage and bags: Light back pack to keep water, camera, etc. with you, and to stow-away your prized acquired possessions from shopping!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sandals, but also a good pair of walking shoes are highly recommended, no matter if you're "trekking" from shop to shop, or if you're planning to travel to the centre of the island.

For clothes: the lighter and thinner, the better!
    In this tropical climate, anything heavier than a silk scarf clings to you in a very unattractive way - so go airy, light and baggy!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Mosquito repellant is an absolute necessity when visiting any part of Thailand.
    In general, the further inland you travel, the worse it gets. This may not be a malaria-hotspot, but being munched on continously during your holiday isn't pleasant.

Mosquitos are most "blood-thirsty" during dusk - so cover youself in spray, cream, gel, whatever you have! Oh, and keep a fan, etc. nearby: when the air is moving, they can't land on you easily.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I know that most hats may make you look dorky, but I found mine essential to protect my face from getting fried in the sun! Even on a cloudy day, the sun on Samui has the power to burn you - so put on a hat!

Miscellaneous: Waterproof sunlotion or oil: even if your not a huge fan of the aquatic activities, you'll be sweating a lot - so waterproof sun protection is vital to have for our pale little bodies ;-)

--> Bring some cat/dog toys, old towels, flea collars, shampoos, Frontline drops, etc. for the dogs & cats at the Samuidog Rescue centre.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• citytrip's Profile Photo

Mosquito Repellent

by citytrip Written Jun 10, 2007

Miscellaneous: Mosquito Repellent to prevent bites. Jungle formula tropical strength seemed very effective for me when I was out their. When mine ran out and I used one I bought locally not only did I appear allergic to it and come out in a rash but also got bitten, so take plenty with you. Mosquito repellents that contain Deet seem the most effective.

• LINSY's Profile Photo

leave your shopping loot behind!

by LINSY Written Feb 15, 2007

tucking into our goodies from the local deli

Luggage and bags: If you're coming from Bangkok and planning to return to Bangkok again - leave your suitcases behind at the hotel or at the left luggage facility at Hualampong Station. All you need for your island holiday is one backpack with a few basics.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Slip slops and a pair of Crocs if you're planning on going on a trek. Rubber shoes are great - you can just rinse them. We bought all our clothing on the island - what we had brought with wasn't suitable for that kind of humidity!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toiletries are so cheap here - just buy what you need. Medical Supplies too - we found everything we needed at the local Watsons. Buy your own extra loo rolls when you're there... . Another thing we discovered was the- 'prickly heat' phenomena - they sell a special powder which helps to keep you comfortable.

Photo Equipment: We downloaded all our pics to disk when we got back to Bangkok.

Miscellaneous: High factor sunblock - the local ones are not very good.

• LINSY's Profile Photo

leave your shopping behind!

by LINSY Written Feb 15, 2007

Luggage and bags: If you're coming from Bangkok and planning to return to Bangkok again - leave your suitcases behind at the hotel or at the left luggage facility at Hualampong Station. All you need is one backpack with a few basics.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toiletries are so cheap here - just buy what you need. Medical Supplies too - we found everything we needed at the local Watsons. Buy your own extra loo rolls when you're there... . Another thing we discovered was 'prickly heat' - they sell a special powder which helps to keep you comfortable.

Miscellaneous: High factor sunblock - the local ones are not very good.

• meltyan's Profile Photo

No black tops and jeans for asian girl travellers!

by meltyan Updated Aug 6, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I seriously warn you girls especially asian girls like me.. with tanned or dark skin.. like me... DO NOT WEAR BLACK TOPS, JEANS, GOLD JEWELLERIES, AND MAKE-UP.. cause otherwise you will be treated as a thai prostitute..

I was wearing like a typical tourist look as much as i can with t-shirt, pants, flip-flop, AND tie your camera around your wrist or hang around your neck. and shades

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: mosquito repellent definitely..

• tere1's Profile Photo

Don't forget the suncreen!

by tere1 Updated Aug 3, 2006

Be careful with the hot sun in Samui

Luggage and bags: Pack light, you don't need much clothes for Samui. During the day a bikini or bathingsuit with a sarong ( if you're a woman) will do. At night you should wear shirts with long sleeves and pants or skirts because of the mosquitos.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Flip flops and sandals are the best as it's hot there!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Suncreen, with a high protector factor ( the sun burns) , and the usual painkillers, immodium, in case you might need it.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Do not forget these items...

by alisonr Written Dec 20, 2005

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Do not forget the mosquito and fly repellant. They are everywhere. My cousin told me about a guy she knew who got one in his eye and he had to go to hospital!!

Also, if you are are fair skinned, blue eyed and freckley and burn easily, don't forget your sun cream!

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

DO YOU LIKE SUNBURN?

by mamasan69 Updated May 9, 2005

BAD SUNBURN-Koh  Samui.

Luggage and bags: A sturdy backpack with an area you can lock for extra safety.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sunscreen is a must and if you burn like I do, the stronger the better. Good quality sandles are also important, especially if you plan to do any hiking or walking around. As you can see from my picture, I failed to buy strong enough sunscreen. After 3 days in Samui I was sunburned so bad that my one eye swelled shut.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I brought along a cheap medkit which turned out to be quite handy, even though it wasn't always used for medical purposes.

Photo Equipment: I brought my digital camera and it seemed to hold up to the stress quite well, considering it went everywhere with me.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Sunglasses would be a good choice when on the beach. I only managed to lose mine twice in a month, but they can be bought almost anywhere along the main street or the beach.

Miscellaneous: Some sort of insect repellant is also a good idea. Even though the insects were not that bad, people with certain allergies should keep this in mind.

• Beaches

• XLH's Profile Photo

Don't bring what you can buy!

by XLH Written Jan 13, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bermudas/Shorts are a must, swimming costumes/trunks/bikinis, loose shirts.

Photo Equipment: Try to get those disposable water-proof cameras or get a water-proof case for your precious SLR. A most popular angle to capture pictures is NOT on dry land.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Wet suit for divers, slip-proof sandals.

Miscellaneous: A definite not-to-bring is a pair of sunglasses as they are sold on the cheap there. I once tried bargaining till 100 baht for a pair, and at that price, you can bear to wear them into the water!

• Beaches

• davidsummers's Profile Photo

Damn Mossies!!!!!!!!!!

by davidsummers Written Oct 20, 2004

Luggage and bags: Buy any ruck sacks out in Bangkok or Koh Samui and then pack them with all the t-shirts you have bought.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Buy all your t-shirts in Bangkok or Koh Samui. Guys - dont take any t-shirts with you. Just buy what you want out there because its so cheap. I also bought a pair of Deisel trainers for £5. Bargain!!!!!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: DO NOT forget your mossie spray. Just a quick tip. Try to buy the pump action spray as opposed to the aerosol because the latter seems to go everywhere in the room and not on your skin. Dont get bitten. I didnt but my wife did and it looked painful.

Photo Equipment: Memory card for your Digital Camera. You dont need a massive memory card. All you need to do when the memory is full is find an internet shop who will download your pictures onto a CD Rom. This will cost you 200 baht. Clear your memory card and start snapping again.

• jamiesamui's Profile Photo

Travel Light

by jamiesamui Written Oct 26, 2003

Luggage and bags: Just bring the standard suitcase if you over shop you can buy reasonably priced bags for the trip home.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: For Samui I recommend you pack light (depending on your budget ) because there is so much reasonably priced clothing on offer , that you can easily find yourself looking like a pack mule trying to catch your transport home , or in extreme cases getting slugged for excess baggage

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I have found that sunscreen , mosquito repellant is dearer than I can buy it for at home so I make sure I bring enough with me.

Photo Equipment: There are no shortage of places to have your pics developed or internet cafes to upload to your p.c

• Pomska's Profile Photo

Medical care and supplies

by Pomska Written Jul 3, 2003

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: In Koh Samui you could find easily medical care and supplies. Just head for a hospital (I used a hospital which is situated near Amari Palm Reef Hotel) and ask advise or go straight to the pharmacy store.

• Sajt's Profile Photo

Rain Every day

by Sajt Written Mar 9, 2003

Before Storm

Luggage and bags: If you are in Thailand you don't have to think about clothing. If you have not enough you can buy on the markets. Thailand is summer all year long.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I heard before I need a lots of stuff with me,(Like toiletpaper) but when I was there I saw you can buy everything in the shops. You don't have to worry about.

Miscellaneous: Be sure you have sunblock enough and you bring this staff with you. Thai sunblock are not so good. The other thing is something against the moskitos.

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

Comments

Ko Samui What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Ko Samui what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Samui sightseeing.