Places to eat in Ko Samui

• Restaurants
    by YaaDong

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ko Samui

• JessH's Profile Photo

STREET FOOD STALLS: Cheap as Chips.. but healthier!

by JessH Written Dec 1, 2005

As in so many other Asian countries, you must not miss a solid part of any cities restaurant-scene: the glorious "fast food" of the street vendors.

Try the noodles, stri-fries, soups, fresh fruit, meat or fish skewers, or even fried insects if you fancy being adventurous!

Nibbling on street food is an inexpensive way to dine out in Thailand. (and dieticians do tell us that many small meals a day are better for you than 2 or 3 large ones!)
    You can fill yourself with a soulful lunch for a dollar or less, and watching your food being prepared right in front of you is a treat in itself!

Many of Thailand's most popular dishes can be found at the smallest food stalls and restaurants; and there is the influence of China, India, Malaysia and so on.
    So all these different factors come together under the label "Thai food", and you will find them in varying degrees at any Thai restaurant you care to visit, anywhere in the world.

The street food stalls in Ko Samui may not be as exotic and exiting as the floating market stalls in Bangkok, but the food speaks for itself!

Favorite Dish: Try some "Khanom" = Pancakes!

My favourites (especially since I don't eat meat) are the various Thai pancakes; from sweet to savory - from soft to crispy - it's all here!

Thai Banana & Chocolate pancake - Yum! Street food stall in Ko Samui

• junecorlett's Profile Photo

SA Barbeque: Mmmmmm,

by junecorlett Written Mar 2, 2009

This restaurant was recommended to us by family members from South Africa.
    The South African flag is flown outside the restaurant and photgraphs of SA hanging on the walls.
    We decided to give it a try as the Rugby World Cup was on (2007) and we were desperate to catch the game live on television. South Africa was playing a game on that particular evening.
    We found a lot of SA fans there, dressed in their colours supporting SA.

We were not impressed with the food.
    We ordered a seafood starter, which was not the greatest, and being a steakhouse, and watching the rugby, we had a steak. Not at all good. Normally a steak is done with a good BBQ basting, this was not, therefore your sauce, if you ordered one, was where the flavour would lie.

TV screen at SA BBQ for the RWC

• tere1's Profile Photo

Poppies Restaurant: For a special night out...

by tere1 Written Jul 20, 2006

This is the restaurant to go for celebrating something or if you want a romantic dinner experience. The food is amazing and so is the ambiance and atmosphere. Very romantic, with candles, by the beach, you can't ask for more. We had a superb dinner here . We ordered the Thai set-dinner and we sampled various delicious dishes. This restaurants is located in Poppies Resort and I recommend that you book a table because its fame is so great , it's always full.

thai set-dinner at Poppies

• JessH's Profile Photo

THE BETELNUT Koh Samui: Unique CaliforniThai Fushion - Don't miss it!

by JessH Updated Apr 4, 2011

When in Koh Samui, the choice of restaurants is literally endless, espeically along Chaweng Beach. There is something to suite every traveller's wallet.

If you' ve tried all the fresh fruit bags, sticky rice and satay grills from streetvendors and are looking to spoil yourself, head down to the south of Chaweng Beach to the 'Betelnut'.
    It is small, tucked-away in a side street (Samui is safe - don't worry too much about side street exploration!) and offers the best fusion food I have ever tasted!

Budget-wise, it is medium to expensive for Koh Samui, yet it's quite a bargain for overseas guests. You can expect high quality and generous portions.

The restaurant is run by Jeffrey, an American with a big heart, big smile (well, he's simply a big guy!) and a passion for food.
    He takes his time to talk to all guests, explain the dishes and encourage them to try some of his signature dishes, which he calls 'CaliforniThai'.

Treat yourself to a dinner you'll never forget! I sure haven't!

Favorite Dish: I love all the food there, but the salmon steak with basil mash is my absolute favourite!

For dessert, the 'Gone-in-60-seconds' chocolate brownie is to die for!

A truly unique restaurant!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo

Prasuthon Restaurant at the NORA: Heavenly Cuisine

by junecorlett Written Jan 27, 2009

The Prasuthon specializes in Royal Thai dishes There are also a wide variety of western dishes and fusion food on the menu.The herbs and vegetables are grown in the lush surrounding gardens.
    We ate most of our meals at our hotel as it was so good.

Cocktails at the Nora
    • Luxury Travel

• tere1's Profile Photo

Chomtalay Restaurant: Delicious thai buffet

by tere1 Updated Jul 20, 2006

This restaurant in Chaweng Regent Resort serves a delicious weekly Exotic Thai buffet, with excellent food. It was our first dinner in Thailand and I still have great memories of it. The thai curries, the spicy shrimp soup and many other tasty thai dishes are to die for!! Oh, and the mango with rice pudding, my favourite dessert.

Buffet night

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

THE WAVE SAMUI: FANTASTIC ENGLISH BREAKFAST

by mamasan69 Updated Oct 2, 2005

This restaurant was a place that I did visit a few times on my first trip, but I had breakfast here almost every day on my second.
    The staff and food are wonderful, and I had a great time talking to the local staff and English owners (Pete and Dave). I had met the main owner on my first visit and he actually remembered me on this trip, except on my last trip he thought I was German...hehe.
    The restaurant is located right beside Charlies Hut, so it was a nice close place to go and have something to eat. This place also has a wide variety of books and DVDs that any guest can view while they are eating or drinking. They also provide great tourist information and arrange all sorts of tours or tickets to other destinations. After my first trip I have got these guys to arrange both train and plane tickets, with no problems and at a good price.
    ****UPDATE****The Wave now also offers rooms for rent, please contact their website for more room information. The prices range, depending on what you want from 400-1650bht per night.

Favorite Dish: The foods I ate the most on my second visit were the english breakfast for 60bht and the fried rice with pork/chicken 85bht.
    They provide a selection of Engish and Thai foods to choose from but I stayed with what treated me good.
    ****UPDATE****After talking to the owner on my latest trip, he informed me that they also have a second location. This location serves a traditional Thai BBQ mainly, but unfortunately I was unable to try it myself. I have had this type of BBQ in Bangkok, so if it is anything like this was, it should be good.

THE WAVE-Koh Samui ME AND THE STAFF (SEPT 2004)-Koh Samui PETE @ WAVE-Koh Samui
    • School Holidays

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Zico's: Brazilian

by clouds111 Updated Sep 20, 2007

Zico's is a nicely designed modern restaurant and bar with unlimited BBQ and a huge salad bar to choose from, a live band and samba dance shows which were quite entertaining! Each waiter cirlces the restaurant and serves different meats straight from the bbq - so one will come round with the lamb, someone else with the king prawns etc etc. Also serve tasty cocktails. A warning though leave plenty of room in your belly before coming here, otherwise you won't be able to move for a week! ;)

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

CHARLIES RESTAURANT: THE PLACE I ATE AT THE MOST

by mamasan69 Updated May 3, 2005

The restaurant is located right on the beach with a terrific view up and down the whole way. The food varies from Western to Thai, is priced right and very tasty. The local staff are very kind and like to joke around with the customers, especially if you end up staying for some time.
    I thought this was a great place to eat and relax by the beach. At night they show a couple of DVD movies, so you can do much of the same into the evening hours.

Favorite Dish: The dishes I ate the most would have to be the shrimp/mixed veggies over rice. This was very tasty and priced right (95bht). I would also suggest the banana pancake, it is very sweet but good. I tried out quite a variety of items off the menu, and they all were quite good. It wasn't hard for me as I was staying at Charlies and was only a 2 minute walk away.

BEACH SHOT FROM RESTAURANT-Koh Samui.
    • Beaches

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Will Wait Restaurant and Bakery: Willing to Wait?

by ATXtraveler Updated Aug 18, 2006

After a long day travelling around the island and interacting with monkeys, elephants and other animals, Sarah and I decided to go have a healthy lunch on Chaweng Beach Road. Chaweng Beach road is the head of commerce in Koh Samui, and we quickly were approached to buy fake rolexes and American DVD.

When we got to "Will Wait", we hoped it was worth it, so we sat down and enjoyed a Coca-Cola and watched how long it took to place an order. No time flat! Very quick service, and delicious food!!

Sarah went with the traditional Pad Thai, while I opted for the garlic chilli chicken soup. Both were very delicious! I actually added a little extra fish sauce with chilli mixed in.

I would definitely recommend the "Wait".

• pehsan's Profile Photo

NO 1: cheap and best food

by pehsan Written Dec 9, 2003

you can find variety of local and western food in this place, best yet cheap... me and my friend were wonder around chaweng beach and we insisted on having local food. hm... i guess not much tourist know about this place, only a waiter and no diner except us were in the restaurant while we dine in.

Favorite Dish: pad thai chicken and water melon juice... yummy...

i love pad thai

• Spa Samui: Fantastic veggie and health food

by Stell Written Mar 18, 2004

This resetaurant is part of a great health resort called Spa Samui near Lamai Beach. The restaurant is open-air, right next to the beach and very laid back and friendly.

The website for the resort says that their restaurant was:
    "Selected as one of the 50 'Best Restaurants in the World' by UK based 'Restaurant' magazine."

You can checkout the whole menu on their website.

Favorite Dish: A favourite is hard to pick because it was all so good but I think I'd say the brown rice salad and you can't beat the banana softy for dessert.

Yum!  Rice salad with all kinds of good stuff.

• jamiesamui's Profile Photo

Banana Pancake Lady: Dessert

by jamiesamui Updated Oct 5, 2005

This Banana Pancake Lady can be found any night along beach road ( I found her more often than not towards the southern end).

Check the picture for most things on the menu the prices range from 20-40 baht & a pancake takes about 5 min from start to finish.

My wife made finding this lady her mission everynight after dinner & in the end she would stop us for a very bad english chat even if we weren`t buying during the day.

Favorite Dish: My wife enjoyed the Banana Pineapple Cinnamon Pancake

Pancake anyone?

• hash09's Profile Photo

Don't miss the local fresh sea food

by hash09 Written May 18, 2005

Crystal bay, has very nice view at their restaurant. I like to speant most of my meal time at the restaurant... Crystal bay has very clean, nice view, nice waitress and tasty food. I love the food that they serve expecially their local food, it very satisfied me.

The food is not expensive and it tasty, If u put budget on food say about USD100, for 5 days, its more than enaugh already, and it also can include half of your entertainment cost as well.

Crystal bay beach view restaurant

• davidsummers's Profile Photo

Beach Love: Best restaurant in Samui

by davidsummers Written Sep 13, 2004

This is my personal opinion but Beach Love was by far the best restaurant in Samui.
    It is a hut on the beach with tables and chairs actually on the beach and deck chairs right by the water.
    By night this place becomes what i can only explain as the most chilled place on planet earth.
    The lighting is just right with candles on every table and subtle lighting in the actual restaurant itself creating just the right ambience.
    The music they play is superb. Chilled to perfection. I think this place puts Cafe Mambo and Cafe Del Mar in Ibiza in the shade but thats my opinion eh?
    As for the food. Well, we ate here quite a few times and the local food is not only cheap but sooooo tasty. My wife and i could not spend over 750bht (£10) a night for both of us even when we tried.

Favorite Dish: So much choice.
    My favorite dish was the fish cakes which are an appertizer but i ate freshly caught fish every time which they have on display or a specials chalk board at the front of the restaurant.
    You do have a choice of western food but i didnt eat any of it and it is more expensive than the Thai food anyway.
    If you are in Chaweng Noi or even Chaweng, you must try this place. You will not be dissapointed.

Beach Love by day

Latest: Jul 1, 2014
Samui Natien Resort
Latest: Mar 15, 2014

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

Comments

Ko Samui Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ko Samui locals.
Map of Ko Samui