Ko Samui Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Ko Samui

• neshica's Profile Photo

Big Boss: Suits in Samui

by neshica Updated Dec 6, 2006

Big Boss is a small Tailoring store in Chaweng Beach.
    His service is proffessional and suits are made quickly and the workmanship is of good quality.
    Big Boss tended to be cheaper than the other stores in Chaweng.

What to buy: Suits

What to pay: The price gets better depending on the quantity you buy.
    Prices also depend on what fabric you choose, the style and how quickly you want it.
    You may pay about $90 for a suit.

• Business Travel

Friendly face

by jamiesamui Updated Oct 5, 2006

My Mate

This is my friend Usa who is the owner of 1 of the what seems like thousands of clothing stalls.

Her stall / shop is located in 1 of the many soi`s that all seem to sell the same thing.
    I was looking through her stall when I noticed she had some shirts & shorts for the larger sizes.She asked me how long I was staying on Samui & asked me to come back before I left,so I did & she had been to where ever she gets her supplies & got a wider range of my size.I told her I would be returning in 6 mnths & she said she would order stuff for me.
    Anyway I did & she did & now when on Samui I do 90% of my shopping there.
    When I returned in September this year even though I haven`t been to Samui for 18months she remembered me & made me & my wife more than welcome.

This is 1 reason why I don`t feel comfortable bartering ( see tip) I do barter with this lady but I don`t try & shake her down as much as I could.

What to buy: Her store sells a little bit of everything eg shirts , T shirts, shorts, long pants , sarongs , skirts ,caps, general niknaks catering to both men & woman.

Keep Smiling

by jamiesamui Updated Oct 5, 2006

What to buy: Whatever you buy in Koh Samui or Thailand in general, remember to barter unless you are in a department store or a store that advertises fixed prices.This to me personally is something I am not comfortable with & would rather not do but I know that it is something I have to do.I have a friend who on 1 trip insisted on haggling over 20THB (less than $1 AUD) why bother?

Here is my take on bartering if the vendor is asking say 600THB I work at 50%-300THB then they come down & I go up probably settling at around 450THB . These figures are meant as a guide only , you pay whatever you think something is worth,however I have found that you will get a better deal if you are pleasant & do what I consider is important KEEP SMILING.

Another thing important in the bartering process is to know the value of your currency to the Thai baht. It helps considerably if you can do the math in your head reasonably quickly(helps you keep your budget in check) nothing wrong if you can`t but it would be advisable to carry a pocket calculator & know the current F/X rate.

• tere1's Profile Photo

Lots to shop

by tere1 Updated Aug 3, 2006

Vendor in Chaweng beach

What to buy: There is plenty of shopping in Koh Samui. You can buy beautiful crafts and nice clothes in the shops along the roads. Things are usually cheap. The road of Chaweng beach is packed with small little shops.

There are also many vendors in the beaches trying to sell you sarongs and other things. Don't go with the first price they ask. You can alwys get the items for a lower price, learn how to bargain a bit.

• Pomska's Profile Photo

Everywhere: Fake goodies

by Pomska Updated Aug 9, 2005

There are actually a good selection of street vendors who sell quite high quality fake things, such as t-shirts, sport shorts, sunglasses, bags etc. But you must bargain because otherwise they will cost too much.

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

THE FOCUS: NICE CORNER STORE

by mamasan69 Updated May 10, 2005

ACROSS THE STREET FROM FOCUS-Koh Samui

On all of my trips to Ko Samui, I frequented this store almost everyday for one reason or another. It is a small store, but has many items to choose from, depending on what you are after. They sell everthing from food and booze to beach gear and household goods.
    I liked this store mainly because it was located close to where I was staying (at Charlies) and it is open fairly late.
    While visiting here on my second trip, I got to know the owners better and they seem like really nice people.

What to buy: They have such a variety of goods for sale here it's hard to pick out distinct items. They have a nice selection of books, beer, liquor, sun/skin products, and small gifts.
    Just about anything you might need or want can probably be found under this roof.

What to pay: The prices seemed to be similar for most products compared to 7-11 or Mini-marts that I went to. However, the prices for booze is definitely cheaper here than what you pay in the bars.
    ****PAY IS THE KEY WORD, ANYONE CAUGHT SHOPLIFTING WILL PAY BACK 100X THE ORIGINAL PRICE.****

• School Holidays

• SamuiDean's Profile Photo

Nathon Town: Cheap Bargains

by SamuiDean Updated Sep 30, 2004

Nathon is situated on the North West side of Koh Samui. I have found it an excellent place for shopping and prices are generally cheaper than the more touristy spots on the island like Chaweng.

I find the best place to park is next to the ferry terminal, from here you cross over the road. Just walk down one of the many side streets and you will find plenty of shops.

What to buy: There are lots of things to buy, items such as Thai dolls, Thai fans, sculptures, ornaments and various wood carvings etc.

There is also a huge array of fake designer items to buy, everything from running shoes through to sun glasses.

What to pay: It depends on the item you are buying but haggling the price is the key. Don't be embarassed to start haggling at a really low price and work the price up slowly. A good trick is to say no thankyou and walk out the shop if you think the price is too high, the seller will often try and negotiate a new price.

• davidsummers's Profile Photo

Any shop on Chaweng beach road: T-Shirt Paradise

by davidsummers Written Sep 13, 2004

My Samui purchases

I like my t-shirts so i was in a good place to buy them. Every other shop in Chaweng sells t-shirts of varying quality and design. There is less choice here than there is in Bangkok by a long stretch but you can get the old classics like the Thai Coke t-shirt and the Singha and Red Bull t-shirts. which i did buy in Chaweng although i saw them for half the price in Bangkok. Stupid boy!!!

What to buy: Although Chaweng is over run with Von Dutch at the moment (I hate this label with a passion) you can still get surf, skate and other labels if you look harder.
    I bought Stussy and Spitfire stuff and the Coke and Singha and Red Bull t-shirts.
    If you are going to Bangkok before or after Koh Samui then save your money until then and go to MBK where you will be in t-shirt paradise.
    Happy shopping.

What to pay: 300bht per t-shirt but buy more and haggle them down further.

• School Holidays

Laem Din: Budget Conscious

by jamiesamui Written Feb 16, 2004

This is not a shop but rather a whole area where you can shop very cheaply at the markets that stock allmost everything,plus numerous road side stalls that sell mainly clothes and nik naks.

What to pay: I have found this area a little bit cheaper than Chaweng

• Moustique's Profile Photo

Lots of shoes: Small Feet

by Moustique Written Jan 18, 2004

I have really small feet, size 5 to be exact and it is very hard for me to find shoes, but not in thailand. I came home with several pairs of shoes.

You can also buy clothes and cd's for really among tons of other stuff, so stock up

• Sajt's Profile Photo

Moving Shops

by Sajt Written Mar 9, 2003

Moving Shopson Ko Samui

If you need something like food, dring, icecreem, clothes, tatoos or something little you even don't have to move enywhere the shop will coming to you. You have to try the corn. I like corn and I always bought from this people. You have to be storng say no, if you don't want to buy anything. Who want tatoo from the beach? :)

• jolou's Profile Photo

Waterproof everything

by jolou Written Jan 15, 2005

What to buy: These saved our sanity - be sure to invest in some waterproof ponchos if you have got the weather wrong!

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

Comments

Ko Samui Shopping

Reviews and photos of Ko Samui shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Samui sightseeing.