Ko Samui Shopping

Best Rated Shopping in Ko Samui

• JessH's Profile Photo

ART STUDIOS: A splash of colour, after your holiday!

by JessH Updated Feb 18, 2007

Surprisingly, apart from beach-wear and souvenirs, Ko Samui is great for other shopping: ART!

All along Chaweng Beach Road, there are numerous smaller & larger art studios.
    We were surprised at such a variety on this small island in Thailand, and marvelled at the incredible skill with which the artists re-created famous paintings of Da Vinci, Keith Haring, Van Gogh, Salvador Dali, etc. as well as creating their own individual artworks.

What to buy: You can usually bargain for better prices, especially if you've seen the same piece in many other shops. Quality will vary so it's advisable to shop-around and compare.

Not only paintings, but also carvings and statues are on display at various shops.

So instead of having a boring-old print of your favourite painting, buy yourself a proper painting! Fake, but at least it's affordable for "us normal people" – LOL!

What to pay: I purchased a set of 4 re-created paintings by Swiss artist Franz Ruzicka, and paid a total of 800 baht (click on the picture to see them). They now adorn the wall above our bed, and I absolutely love the colours and the style of painting.

Our Samui-paintings back home in Dubai Copy of Van Gogh in Ko Samui shop Copy of Renoir in Ko Samui Shop From Pop-art to classic - find it in Samui!

• JessH's Profile Photo

SAMUI HOT CLUB: Cheap, bright, colourful, fantastic!

by JessH Updated May 16, 2007

Samui Hot Club is a Member of the Tourist Association of Koh Samui.

A 2-storey building packed full with clothes, accessories & souvenir bits & pieces!

I found it to be a fabulous place to shop for that essential light clothing you’ll need to survive the tropical humidity!

A great place for holiday-hippy-clothes, as well as goodies to bring back for friends & family back home.

What to buy: Expensive by Thai standards, but cheap by visitor standards, everything is available:
    from colourful sarongs, Thai-dye beach dresses, t-shirts, shorts, fashionable hand-crafted belt to wooden carvings, wind chimes, lamps, drums, and much more!

I bought a really nice windchime made from bamboo and coconut here, with hand-painted geckos on the sides. It's still handing in my garden to this day, making a lovely "clonky" sound in the wind :-)

What to pay: Sarongs (long) vary between 150 - 300 Baht.

Samui Hot Club bag Choices, choices, colours, ...
    • Study Abroad

• tere1's Profile Photo

Lots to shop

by tere1 Updated Aug 3, 2006

What to buy: There is plenty of shopping in Koh Samui. You can buy beautiful crafts and nice clothes in the shops along the roads. Things are usually cheap. The road of Chaweng beach is packed with small little shops.

There are also many vendors in the beaches trying to sell you sarongs and other things. Don't go with the first price they ask. You can alwys get the items for a lower price, learn how to bargain a bit.

Vendor in Chaweng beach

Laem Din: Budget Conscious

by jamiesamui Written Feb 16, 2004

This is not a shop but rather a whole area where you can shop very cheaply at the markets that stock allmost everything,plus numerous road side stalls that sell mainly clothes and nik naks.

What to pay: I have found this area a little bit cheaper than Chaweng

Keep Smiling

by jamiesamui Updated Oct 5, 2006

What to buy: Whatever you buy in Koh Samui or Thailand in general, remember to barter unless you are in a department store or a store that advertises fixed prices.This to me personally is something I am not comfortable with & would rather not do but I know that it is something I have to do.I have a friend who on 1 trip insisted on haggling over 20THB (less than $1 AUD) why bother?

Here is my take on bartering if the vendor is asking say 600THB I work at 50%-300THB then they come down & I go up probably settling at around 450THB . These figures are meant as a guide only , you pay whatever you think something is worth,however I have found that you will get a better deal if you are pleasant & do what I consider is important KEEP SMILING.

Another thing important in the bartering process is to know the value of your currency to the Thai baht. It helps considerably if you can do the math in your head reasonably quickly(helps you keep your budget in check) nothing wrong if you can`t but it would be advisable to carry a pocket calculator & know the current F/X rate.

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

THE FOCUS: NICE CORNER STORE

by mamasan69 Updated May 10, 2005

On all of my trips to Ko Samui, I frequented this store almost everyday for one reason or another. It is a small store, but has many items to choose from, depending on what you are after. They sell everthing from food and booze to beach gear and household goods.
    I liked this store mainly because it was located close to where I was staying (at Charlies) and it is open fairly late.
    While visiting here on my second trip, I got to know the owners better and they seem like really nice people.

What to buy: They have such a variety of goods for sale here it's hard to pick out distinct items. They have a nice selection of books, beer, liquor, sun/skin products, and small gifts.
    Just about anything you might need or want can probably be found under this roof.

What to pay: The prices seemed to be similar for most products compared to 7-11 or Mini-marts that I went to. However, the prices for booze is definitely cheaper here than what you pay in the bars.
    ****PAY IS THE KEY WORD, ANYONE CAUGHT SHOPLIFTING WILL PAY BACK 100X THE ORIGINAL PRICE.****

ACROSS THE STREET FROM FOCUS-Koh Samui
    • School Holidays

• SamuiDean's Profile Photo

Nathon Town: Cheap Bargains

by SamuiDean Updated Sep 30, 2004

Nathon is situated on the North West side of Koh Samui. I have found it an excellent place for shopping and prices are generally cheaper than the more touristy spots on the island like Chaweng.

I find the best place to park is next to the ferry terminal, from here you cross over the road. Just walk down one of the many side streets and you will find plenty of shops.

What to buy: There are lots of things to buy, items such as Thai dolls, Thai fans, sculptures, ornaments and various wood carvings etc.

There is also a huge array of fake designer items to buy, everything from running shoes through to sun glasses.

What to pay: It depends on the item you are buying but haggling the price is the key. Don't be embarassed to start haggling at a really low price and work the price up slowly. A good trick is to say no thankyou and walk out the shop if you think the price is too high, the seller will often try and negotiate a new price.

• neshica's Profile Photo

Big Boss: Suits in Samui

by neshica Updated Dec 6, 2006

Big Boss is a small Tailoring store in Chaweng Beach.
    His service is proffessional and suits are made quickly and the workmanship is of good quality.
    Big Boss tended to be cheaper than the other stores in Chaweng.

What to buy: Suits

What to pay: The price gets better depending on the quantity you buy.
    Prices also depend on what fabric you choose, the style and how quickly you want it.
    You may pay about $90 for a suit.

• Business Travel

• davidsummers's Profile Photo

Any shop on Chaweng beach road: T-Shirt Paradise

by davidsummers Written Sep 13, 2004

I like my t-shirts so i was in a good place to buy them. Every other shop in Chaweng sells t-shirts of varying quality and design. There is less choice here than there is in Bangkok by a long stretch but you can get the old classics like the Thai Coke t-shirt and the Singha and Red Bull t-shirts. which i did buy in Chaweng although i saw them for half the price in Bangkok. Stupid boy!!!

What to buy: Although Chaweng is over run with Von Dutch at the moment (I hate this label with a passion) you can still get surf, skate and other labels if you look harder.
    I bought Stussy and Spitfire stuff and the Coke and Singha and Red Bull t-shirts.
    If you are going to Bangkok before or after Koh Samui then save your money until then and go to MBK where you will be in t-shirt paradise.
    Happy shopping.

What to pay: 300bht per t-shirt but buy more and haggle them down further.

My Samui purchases
    • School Holidays

• Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

Butterfly Garden: Butterfly Garden

by Princess_Emily Written Sep 19, 2009

I'm not a real big fan of honey but this, made by the bee's at the Butterfly Garden, golden necture has converted me. We purchased a small glass during our visit to the Garden but first opened and sampled the honey when we arrived back home. MM MM good, a real taste treat for the taste buds, wish I had bought more than just this one glass.

What to buy: Glass Jars of Honey.

What to pay: €0.50 per glass.

Butterfly Garden Butterfly Garden Butterfly Garden Butterfly Garden Butterfly Garden
    • Eco-Tourism

• lalikes's Profile Photo

Everywhere: Designer bags galore

by lalikes Written Sep 16, 2008

There are many, many places to find knock off Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc., bags and luggage. Just need to find the "real" authentic ones. Great secret places in Bangkok and Koh Samui. I found an upscale place where I bought a Gucci and Louis Vuitton handbag that wasn't even available in the States for 5 months. I also bought a piece of Louis Vuitton luggage. All 3 purchases were $320. Now there were places in Bangkok that are souvenir shops but have back rooms set up like designer hand bag stores. Amazing. We heard through a couple of other travelers. When we bought some souvenirs we asked if we could see the hand bags and we had to go to the back of the store up 3 flights of stairs and voila' it was like an upscale boutique store.

Supposedly, illegal or not, there are local workers that work in the designer's factory and somehow get drawings of the up and coming new products where they manufacture at another place. They aren't even considered knock offs but exact duplicates.

No one come and arrest me for copyright infringement. I'm just going by what I'm told.

What to pay: Bargain your butt off. They started out wanting $800 US for 2 hand bags and a smaller piece of luggage. I got them down to the price stated above.

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Chandra: Great clothes

by clouds111 Written Aug 3, 2007

Chandra is a boutique clothes store selling exotic finds from all over Asia, including Bali and India. They also sell a lovely range of their own designs. As well as clothes Chandra has jewellery and accessories. There are some great items in Chandra, although they can be quite expensive compared to other clothes shops around the town. The clothes have fixed prices so there will be no haggling.

• Glory Samui: Where Women's Fashion meets Price!!!

by maekay8 Written Feb 17, 2009

Glory Samui sells fashionable women's dress ideal for full moon partys, and clubbing in samui. They also have a great selection of trendy shoes, flats and heels, amazing party tops, jewelry, bags, and pants at great prices found nowhere else in Samui. The best part of this shop is that the style that you get which is really trendy, equivalent to a chic shop in paris, is affordable at a great price, and the location is in the famous Chaweng Beach Road, right next to McDonalds and Starbucks, and infront of Coyote Samui and Chaba Hotel.

What to buy: Chic tops, trendy shoes, bags, heels, flats, pants, jewlery.

What to pay: 600-1000 Baht, equivalent to 17 to 27 US dollars.

• Women's Travel

Friendly face

by jamiesamui Updated Oct 5, 2006

This is my friend Usa who is the owner of 1 of the what seems like thousands of clothing stalls.

Her stall / shop is located in 1 of the many soi`s that all seem to sell the same thing.
    I was looking through her stall when I noticed she had some shirts & shorts for the larger sizes.She asked me how long I was staying on Samui & asked me to come back before I left,so I did & she had been to where ever she gets her supplies & got a wider range of my size.I told her I would be returning in 6 mnths & she said she would order stuff for me.
    Anyway I did & she did & now when on Samui I do 90% of my shopping there.
    When I returned in September this year even though I haven`t been to Samui for 18months she remembered me & made me & my wife more than welcome.

This is 1 reason why I don`t feel comfortable bartering ( see tip) I do barter with this lady but I don`t try & shake her down as much as I could.

What to buy: Her store sells a little bit of everything eg shirts , T shirts, shorts, long pants , sarongs , skirts ,caps, general niknaks catering to both men & woman.

My Mate

• Sajt's Profile Photo

Moving Shops

by Sajt Written Mar 9, 2003

If you need something like food, dring, icecreem, clothes, tatoos or something little you even don't have to move enywhere the shop will coming to you. You have to try the corn. I like corn and I always bought from this people. You have to be storng say no, if you don't want to buy anything. Who want tatoo from the beach? :)

Moving Shopson Ko Samui

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

Comments

Ko Samui Shopping

Reviews and photos of Ko Samui shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Samui sightseeing.