Boats & Ferries, Ko Samui

Know about this? Rate It!

Clock tower in Hua Hin where buses leave
  • Boats & Ferries
  • Boats & Ferries
  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Bus/Ferry to Krabi

by Willettsworld Written Jan 12, 2010

It's possible to get a bus/ferry combo ticket to Krabi from Ko Samui. I booked mine through a travel agents in central Chaweng which cost 500 baht. I got picked up early in the morning from my hotel and we picked more people up and headed towards the ferry pier in Nathon. We then transferred onto an oldish looking bus that then took us south to another pier outside Nathon where we got on to the ferry bound for Dousak. The ferries look pretty ancient and simple with no amenities apart from a small snack shop. We left Ko Samui at just after 8am and arrived in Dousak at 9.40am where we got onto another newer bus that took us to a travel agent office in Surat Thani about 68km away. Here we had breakfast even though it was gone 11am and we then got taken to the main bus station and shown to another bus bound for Krabi. We had to wait some 40 minutes for this bus to leave which it finally did at 12.30pm and we arrived in Krabi at 3.40pm.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Getting to Ko Samui from Hua Hin

by Willettsworld Written Jan 12, 2010
    Clock tower in Hua Hin where buses leave

It's possible to take a bus/ferry combination to Ko Samui from Hua Hin. I booked my trip from the Tourist Information Office beside the Clock Tower on the main highway near the temple in Hua Hin, who were very helpful. The ticket is a bit pricey at 1300 baht as the 3.5hr ferry isn't cheap. The rather posh VIP double-decker bus leaves at about 8.30am from the clock tower and picks up more people along the way before it meets up with the ferry outside Chumphon. The ferry arrived on Ko Samui at about 5.30pm.

• YaaDong's Profile Photo

Lomphrayah High Speed Catamaran

by YaaDong Updated Feb 4, 2009

A comfortable,fast and safe way to get to Samui ,Koh Phangan and Koh Tao is by this high speed Cat.You can catch the catermaran from Suratthani to Koh Samui .However I got it from Mae Nam pier Samui to Koh Tao at 8 am .There is also another one at 12:30 pm daily .From Koh Tao it then heads to Koh Phangan . The catermaran also travels from Chumpon to Samui.
    It's a very relax way to get to these popular Islands as the catamaran is air-conditioned with coffee,snacks, movies and lots of life jackets!

• YaaDong's Profile Photo

Train Coach Boat Combo Ticket

by YaaDong Updated Jan 20, 2009

You can buy the train/ bus /boat combo ticket at any travel agent down Khaosan Rd.The tickets are cheap no more than 300 baht. It's a long trip but you have a sleeper on the over night train .During the journey a guy comes around selling food ,beers and coffee in the morning.You can even have a shower if your up for it.A coach picks you up at Surat Thani station and takes you to the pier where you can have breakfast before you catch the boat to Samui.The boat is aircon with lots of life jackets and a movie to watch.This type of ticket is good value if you are on a budget.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Ferry Boat to Ko Samui

by SLLiew Written Aug 22, 2007

From Surat Thani on the mainland, there is passenger and vehicle ferry run by different boat companies to Ko Samui. Travel time around 1.5 hour but depend on boat company and which pier destination in Ko Samui. They depart from different piers in Surat Thani.

When you are on a ferry and a foreign tourist, you will be immediately swarmed by free lance agents trying to sell your hotel accommodations and tours.

As there is a bit of travelling time, there is no harm considering if you have no prior reservation.

Once arrival at Ko Samui, again there will be a horde of tourist agents. There are pick-up trucks ready to carry tourists to different destinations of the island. Just relax and get to your first destination safely unruffled.

• clouds111's Profile Photo

High Speed Catamaran

by clouds111 Written Aug 3, 2007

To get to the other islands (Koh Phangan and Koh Tao) from Koh Samui the shortest crossing point is from the Bophut and Mae-Nam areas where several services operate. The quickest and most comfortable is the Lomprayah Catamaran, around 45 mins. Around 500 bahts each.

• austarman's Profile Photo

Ferry service to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao

by austarman Updated Jan 28, 2007

The sea-trans ferry to Koh Tao and Koh Phangan

From Nathon pier in koh Samui you can take a boat to the other islands around-about or you can take a ferry to the mainland near to Surat-Thani.
    This first photo is the passenger and vehicle ferry that you can board in Nathon.
    More photo's in my Koh Phangan transport page.

• Sailing and Boating

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Koh Samui Tender Ferry

by ATXtraveler Updated Aug 18, 2006

Tender boat off to the island

As Sarah and I came into port on the P&O Cruise ship, the captain announced that we would be tendering into the actual landing in Koh Samui. As a veteran of tendering on cruise ships, we made sure to schedule a cruise tour that had the early departure off the ship, so we would get priority.

The ferry tenders would hold about 150 passengers at a time, which was plenty for the old boats on a thirty minute one way trip. People were selling water and drinks for the day on board, but almost everyone on the trip just looked out into the beautiful ocean view, and watched as other fishing boats went off to sea for the day.

There was no cost for this tender ferry, but if you were to need boat transportation to the mainland, it is best to proceed directly to the port.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

P&O Cruises

by ATXtraveler Updated Aug 18, 2006

Sarah and I may be considered "old souls" when it comes to travel, because we do enjoy cruising as a easy form of overview travel. It gives you the ability to see many smaller locations that you may or may not want to invest an entire week of vacation in. Koh Samui for example was one place I preferred to spend a single day in, and move on.

We sailed to Koh Samui on P&O Cruise's Pacific Sky. The Pacific Sky is a grand old ship, which probably needs to be put out to sea and turned into an artificial reef. Shortly after our 7 day cruise, the ship ended up being stranded off the west coast of Malaysia when it's motor stopped working.

During our 7 day cruise however, there were no major problems, and I would recommend Koh Samui as a destination for cruising!

Enjoy your trip!

EDIT: Please note that P&O has since sold the Pacific Sky, so this cruise line will no longer serve Ko Samui.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Cruise from Singapore

by aussirose Written Jul 4, 2006

Superstar Cruises

One way of getting to Koh Samui is on a cruise.

I'm sure I've shown you enough tips on that haha....

If not, well then please check out my Asia pages for the full run down on our Superstar Gemini cruise from Singapore :o) ....Hope I can tempt you..... ;o)

• Photography

• Samui to Krabi

by strollingfish Written Dec 8, 2005

Na Thon Pier is on the northwest of the island. The red car can take you there which costs 50B.

If your destination is Krabi, you can buy a joint-ticket at 380B. A bus will take you to another pier and get on the ship together. After arriving Surat Thani you'll change onto another bus that will drop you at Krabi. The whole trip spends 8 hours.

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

To and from Bangkok

by meaganelizabeth Written Sep 10, 2005

I flew into Koh Samui the first time, but took a train home. I was with a man so I felt quite safe, and Im really glad that I did this. First you must take a speedboat or ferry to a bus, then once on the bus, they take you to a train station. This was an overnight train. WE didnt have to book a hotel that night, and had a good night sleep. In the morning the view was interesting. You really saw the poverty and landscape surrounding bangkok. Something you can see from the mekong perhaps, but not driving around. I was very scared of the train, not sure if we might be robbed or bothered. It was comfortable and definately interesting. Seemed safe. And inexpensive, perhaps $20 rather than $100 for the flight, plus no hotel room.

• Trains
    • School Holidays

• grahamopey's Profile Photo

Ferry to Surat Thani

by grahamopey Written Jun 29, 2005
    Ferry views

In order to get to Malaysia I took the ferry / bus transfer to Surat Thani for something like 300B, This is excellent value.

I then took the sleeper train to Penang, one point you probably should not though, the train to Penang (via Hat Yai) only arrived at 2.30 a.m. 6 hours after arriving at the train station, I was then awoken by border control at 7.a.m. and spent the rest of the journey bright eyed and bushy tailed until I crashed out in georgetown.

It cost about 1100B (£14 ish) and although I'm glad of the experience I would probably opt for an earler train in a general southbound direction, then catch the malaysia train the next day.

To say I smelt would be an understatement ;-)

• hash09's Profile Photo

Scooter & tuk tuk is a best transport to go around

by hash09 Written May 13, 2005

Im on tuk tuk, going back to our hotel after shop

This journey is from KL to Koh Samui trip (warning!! This is non stop journey)

From KLIA to Hat Nyai Airport (Flight – 1 Hr 30 Min)
    From Hat Nyai to Suratthani (Train – 5 Hrs)
    From Suratthani to Koh Samui (Boat – 3 Hrs)

During the time we are in the island, we have seen so many scooters has been riding by a tourist, scooter is a handy transportation which you can travel all by yourself to anywhere you like to go. The whole day renting of the scooter is about TH150 - TH200.
    Tuk Tuk also fun, i like to ride with tuk tuk while im going there, it a small truck for you to moved around with cost about TH50 - TH100 to lamai shooping area. I shop a lots though

• balisunshine's Profile Photo

From Ko Samui to Ko Phangan

by balisunshine Written May 5, 2005

Take a boat!

If you don't want to stay
    the night at Phangan,
    then go for the day!

Take a snorkelling and fishing tour
    to getan idea of what the island is like.

Daily departures (according to the weather)
    start as early as 9:00 am and return at 5:00 pm.

One available boat is the Sirene at:
    077-425301