Motorbikes & Scooters, Ko Samui

Know about this? Rate It!

Scooter
    Emily and her scooter
    Scooter view point
    by Princess_Emily
  • Very affordable automatic scooter and motorbike

by NHJ1981 Written Jul 14, 2012

hi,

i found a very affordable scooter rental(atutomatic) starting at 100 baht per day for yamaha mio and 125 a day for honda click, price per month is 2000-2500 baht.

the guy is from belgium and delivers the bike or pick you up around the island.

• katpunik's Profile Photo

Best way to get around the island - scootering!

by katpunik Updated Dec 6, 2011

This is indeed the best and inexpensive way to get around the island - hire a scooter/motorbike!

You can get one from any rental shops down the street starting from 250 baht for 24 hours but my partner and I rented one from our hotel for 300 baht. Our hotel has tie-ups with rental companies nearby and its so convenient to have our bike delivered to us straight to the lobby with just a phone call from the reception. You don't even have to surrender your passport or provide your credit card number as collateral. (That's in the case for my hotel, no frills, yay!) Heck, they don't even bother to want to see your driving/riding licence. They will just ask, "You have ride before? Where you ride?" "Okay, here is key." There, mutual trust and respect among fellow human beings. Harhar.

Beware that most companies do not provide insurance for bike rentals, only for cars and jeeps, so your travel insurance back home may not cover any accidents.. Ride at your own (but sensible) risk... Check the bike before you go and take lotsa pictures of it as evidence. Go over any existing damages already on the bike with the vendor. Btw, the bike company we dealt with were honest and helpful so we were not scammed. 150 baht for a full tank( 2 litres for 125cc auto scooter) from the company is daylight robbery but heck, we took it for convenience's sake so that we do not have to top up before we set off.

Note: Gas is sold any many shops along the streets ( in yellow, green and red steel drums or yellow and orange bottles) for 40 baht a litre. so full tank would cost ya only 80 baht... Top-up at gas stations- much cheaper!! The cheapest and I guess lowest grade petrol costs only 31 baht a litre! A bargain! A full tank will last you a ride around the island for the whole day... just don't accelerate and brake like a mad person ( i did) and waste the gas.

Be careful when navigating the streets. Always wear a helmet ( who cares if you look dorky, you'd want to live to see another day!!) and ride on the left side of the road if you are less confident. Other mad motorists like farangs (caucasian tourists) and locals will speed past you but most polite ones will toot their horn at you to warn you that they are overtaking. Such courtesy! Zero road rage! Watch out for portholes, cracks, water puddles, sand and crossing animals on the streets. The pedestrians are not as suicidal as those in Bangladesh, Vietnam, Bali even Italy when they cross the busy streets. They wait and cross... patiently and politely. Thats because the motorists here are polite as well and are never out to kill or knock down anyone - they slow down way ahead in time.... here I am raving about Thai traffic.....

If you get lost, (which my bf and I did, trying to ride home at night in the monsoon rains), ask for help at the Police Stations (we stopped at Bophut Police Station), ask the security fellas at the luxury resorts or as a last resort, stop at any convenient store. Chances of them being able to speak some English and direct you is much higher than if you were to stop and ask any passing local... Bring a map with ya because it would be your own navigating bible. No GPS here...

In a nutshell: for a Thai island adventure, scooter your way around Samui!

• Singles

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Bike/scooter hire

by Willettsworld Written Jan 12, 2010

There are plenty of places around the island that hire out bikes and scooters and I hired a little automatic scooter from a place called Bum (I kid you not!) near where I was staying in central Chaweng for 250 baht. It's the best way to get around the island and I spent a day visiting the major sights such as Lamai beach, Hin Ta Hin Yai, the mummified monk, a couple of waterfalls, a couple of the northern beaches and the Big Buddha. Be safe and legal by wearing a crash helmet and take care as the roads are cracked and potholed.

• Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

Scooter

by Princess_Emily Written Sep 10, 2009
    Emily and her scooter

Watching from the sidewalk one may think they are all suicidal but, it's actually quite safe riding around on a scooter. Rental fee was approx €4.00 per day which means this is much cheaper than a taxi, and faster than walking.

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Getting about!

by Suzze Updated Mar 14, 2008

My hubbie and I hired a bike for the day and it was good fun. I admit I was a bit worried, having been told by a VT member that it's quite dangerous. The locals living on this island are so polite and courteous on the roads, and they also drive allot slower than back home! Nobody got road rage at all!! As long as your sensible it's a great way to get about the island. We hired a bike for 300 baht for the day, but that was from our hotel, over the road we found out later it was 200

• pstanley's Profile Photo

Gasoline is cheap

by pstanley Written Jan 29, 2008

Hiring a motorcycle or scooter is alot cheaper then catching a truck or cab anywhere.

My advise for hiring a motorbike is practice to drive one on a quite street or parking lot first...it may save you some pain later on. and get a helmet!

• kls67's Profile Photo

Best way to see the island

by kls67 Updated Mar 19, 2007

We rented scooters from our hotel - but I think you can find rental companies everywhere. This way afforded us some of our best adventures...once getting off the main road and winding up in the middle of a village, with monkey's jumping on us and children running along wanting to play. The gas was fairly cheap and you could really get far for the money. We found our way around the island with no problem. I think the best advice though is to be careful and cautious and pay attention to what is going on around you.

• JappaJukebox's Profile Photo

Rent a Scooter on Koh Samui

by JappaJukebox Updated Feb 1, 2007

Scootering on Samui

Although we were at first reluctant to rent a scooter because of all the warnings and dangers we read online, we eventually grew tired of going through the whole negotiation process every time we needed transport. We also saw so many other farangs zooming around that we decided to get our own scooter. We rented one from our hotel for 250 Baht per day excluding fuel, which as I understand is a bit more expensive than the street shops, but we didn't have to hand in our passports as collateral and we had safe parking at night at the hotel.

It takes an hour or so to get a feel for what the traffic is going to do and if you are expecting impending doom around every corner and can live with it, you should be doing OK. Easy does it and common sense will get you through the rough spots.

Watch out for loose sand, water filled potholes and reckless construction lorries and your eyes locking on to the girl's butt on the scooter in front of you. You don't need that kind of distraction right now.

If you are not used to scooters, be careful not to burn your leg on the exhaust pipe when you get off or park the scooter. It happens so often that there is a name for it - a Samui tattoo

Fuel is available all around the island from private vendors who will pump a liter or two out of a big drum with old style pumps with glass reservoirs. Prices are around 100 Baht per liter if you don’t care to haggle about it.

Try it as an alternative to taxis and songtheaws. If you do come unstuck and spend half your leave in hospital nursing some major roasties, rest assured you will not be the first or the last to do so.

• Bigger bikes on samui

by breakz Updated Nov 30, 2006

NSR 150 that I ended up with...good for 75+ mph!

I went to Samui earlier this year, and it seems that most people there get around on scooters, costing 150-200 baht each per day, but you can barter the price a bit if you're going to have them for a few days, you have to barter the price on EVERYTHING in Thailand. I wanted something a bit more powerful than a scooter though, so I went looking for bigger bikes. I hired a Honda XR 250 Dirt bike for 500 baht a day, and it was a good bike, especially for exploring the mountain paths, but it was very expensive, so I ended up taking it back and getting a Honda NSR 150 for the rest of my stay at a more reasonable 350 Baht a day. Not a massively powerful bike, but I managed to get 75 mph out of it! I saw some people on CBR400s, and even a couple of ZX7Rs and bigger CBRs about. Theres a big bike hire shop near the entrance to Chaweng beach where you can hire just about anything, but I wouldnt reccomend it unless you really know what you're doing with a big bike, because Samui's roads are awful... potholes, cracks, waterlogged roads, dust, and terrible drivers all make it rather dangerous, and you have to keep your wits about you all the time! That said, there really is no other way to explore the island properly except by motorbike, just dont get sunburnt like I did! Have fun and be careful =)

• Study Abroad

• Robert_Hun's Profile Photo

Rent a bike and ride!

by Robert_Hun Written Feb 5, 2005

Fishing village

The best way to discover the island is to rent a scooter. It's cheap, easy and, as the traffic is not as big as eg. in Phuket, relatively safe.
    The island is not too big (cca. 70 km's around) and the main road follows the coastline, it's not too tyring to drive around. You have the possibility to explore popular and less visited spots for yourself. For example I really enjoyed to drive trough a traditional fishing village which was not touched by tourism at all.

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

SCOOTERS-Fun but they can be scary at times.

by mamasan69 Updated Jan 23, 2005

MAIN STREET ON CHAWENG BEACH-Ko Samui.

We were able to purchase a manual driven scooter for 150bht per day or they also had automatics for 200bht. They are in pretty good working condition, but never came with much fuel. We always had to rush to the nearest fuel station, both times we rented the scooters.
    Make sure you go over your scooter with the rental agency for damage before you leave with it. I did hear from a few people that got charged for damage that was already on the scooter, but they couldn't prove it was there before renting.
    When renting one , your passport must be left with them until the scooter is returned. If scooters are not in the game plan, taxis are fairly cheap except in the early morning hours(5:00-8:00am).
    ***If you get caught without your helmet on it is a 500bht fine, however I never saw many people wear them, including the locals.****

• balisunshine's Profile Photo

Motorbikes and Passports

by balisunshine Updated Sep 23, 2004
    Think about leaving your passport twice

Motorbikes are available for rent
    in most parts of Thailand.

Very much to my surprise,
    to rent a motorbike from
    one of the street stalls or agencies,
    they require that you leave you passport as a guarantee.

In most cases, there is NO insurance.
    So you are responsible if it is stolen or any damage occurs.

No motorbike, no money?you don?t get your passport back.
    A passport is an important document and not to be taken lightly.

Think about this twice!!!!

1) Find out first, what is the estimated value of the motorbike.

2) If something were to happen, do you have access to this kind of cash.

2) Be sure that if you will be renting the motorbike over night,
    that you have a safe place to park it. I wouldn?t doubt that some of these
    greedy road stall renters have someone to so-called steal them at night.

3) It may be a bit more expensive, but first try to rent them from your hotel
    who will normally take you credit card number as a guarantee.
    This is the right way to do it.
    If something goes wrong,
    and you feel that you are not at fault?you may be able to dispute it.
    Also, some credit card have some kind of insurance while traveling.

Bear in mind?..it is against the law in someone countries
    for someone besides authorities
    to hold your passport against your will.

If you can, don?t entice the Thai to continue this habit.

Prices:

For a 100cc four gear between 120-250 Bahts a day

• heywinks's Profile Photo

Getting around by motor scooter

by heywinks Written Dec 21, 2003

Spend a day going around Samui by motor scooter. It`s great fun & you can get a great tan (don`t forget to slather on that sunscreen though as you can burn really fast & not even notice while scootering). 150 baht/24 hrs. Not bad at all. You just have to pay for the gas.
    The only thing you have to worry about besides getting hit is that you have to give up your passport as a deposit for the scooter. Most people don`t want their passport out of their reach so if this is not your thing you may want to pass this up. I would risk it though!! :)

There are alot of scooter rental places all along the main thoroughfares around Lamai & Chaweng beaches.

• acaciawould's Profile Photo

Don't Delay, Rent a Scooter Today.

by acaciawould Written May 27, 2003

The absolute best part of my trip to Samui was riding a scooter around the island. While I had never riden one before, and come from a country in which we drive on the right side of the street, not the left as in Thailand, I thought it was easy to get used to and turned out to be the cheapest way to get around. You can rent them almost anywhere and this seems to be the preferred method of transportation for locals, as well. However, the traffic can be heavy in Chaweng so you should be Very careful. Although you won't be traveling too fast in town, the locals do and if you're not careful, you may get off balance as the traffics stops suddenly. Also, be careful where you park. The parking may not be in the same place it was the day before. Look for other bikes parked in the same area and park off the street whenever possible.

• yellowstar's Profile Photo

rent a motor bike

by yellowstar Written May 16, 2003

Usually you can rent your motorbike via your guesthouse you're staying in. It's very easy to do and costs little.
    It's also the best way to get around, to get to the waterfalls and to get to know other beaches.

gas is inexpensive, but you have to go to the fuel station and negotiate the price BEFORE getting the fuel. Otherwise they can ask for any price.

Be careful with the traffic. Although it's much better than on the mainland, you should be aware, that the Thais take a two lane road sometimes for a four lane road.

Instant Answers: Ko Samui