Animals & Wildlife, Ko Samui

Know about this?

by Princess_Emily
    by Princess_Emily
    IN FRONT OF MY HUT-Koh Samui.
    by mamasan69
  • Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

Elephants like bananas

by Princess_Emily Updated Sep 19, 2009

Don't feed the animals

On the way to the area where the elephants are kept i had eaten a banana and afterwards wiped my hands off on my pants as we kids like to do.
    As you can see in the photo, these elephants are kept on a short chain and that's all, so when this little guy got close enough to me to smell the banana on my pants he pulled on my pant leg towards him until they were around my ankles. Lucky for me Dad was not far away and was able to pull me from the little guys grasp before anything bad happened.
    Lucky for me it was the little guy who got hold of me and not one of the bigger ones.
    My warning to all: Do not go near these elephants if you smell like a banana.

• Adventure Travel

• Princess_Emily's Profile Photo

by Princess_Emily Updated Sep 19, 2009

Monkey

They are cute to look at but, keep your distance. This little guy ran up my leg, and tried to grab my camera out of my hands. Luckily this time around I was faster, so no damage was done. Two bikini clad girls came along shortly after me and one suffered a nasty bite to her finger. Best advice: Stay away from these little creatures.

• Beaches

• JessH's Profile Photo

Calling all Animal Lovers!

by JessH Updated Jul 10, 2007

Do a good deed during your holiday...

If seeing the street dogs in Koh Samui upsets you, and if you're a good person and animal lover, instead of turning a blind-eye why not do something about it?

Try something different during your holidays and volunteer at the
    Dog Rescue Centre Samui!

The centre is owned and run by Brigitte & her husband Werner (both German, but fluent in English). It opened its doors in April 1999 and carries out the following activities:
    - To inject all stray dogs and cats against rabies.
    - To sterilise all dogs and cats by castration.
    - To treat dogs suffering from mange.
    - To deworm all dogs & cats.
    - To treat all stray dogs & cats in the event of injury or sickness and give them somewhere to rest.

The centre either captures, sterilises, vaccinates and releases healthy dogs, or allows older or injured dogs to stay at their large shelter to live a happy and healthy life.
    Not only dogs, but also cats are helped by the DRCS and Brigitte and Werner also try to rehome animals on the island, or even help with tourists wishing to adopt a dog/cat and transporting them to their home country at the end of their holiday in Samui.

John and I volunteered for 2 days at the large shelter at Ban Taling Ngam. Bottle-feeding puppies, taking out ticks, and giving the animals lots of snuggles and love!

--> Material donations are always appreciated: old towels, dog/cat toys, flea collars, shampoos, Frontline, etc.
    Or: If you would like to carry on helping after your holiday has ended, you can also sponsor and dog or cat for only USD 15.- / EURO 15.- a month!

Check out their website and experience a holiday with a difference. We loved it and I will surely be returning to Koh Samui to once again help out Brigitte with the lovely dogs & cats.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Study Abroad

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

DOGS

by mamasan69 Updated May 5, 2005

IN FRONT OF MY HUT-Koh Samui.

When you are on Koh Samui you will notice many dogs all over the island. I never had any problem with them myself, but I talked to a woman on the beach that was bitten in the face. I also heard from a person who was bitten on the leg as he walked past a dog on the sidewalk.
    The dogs fight with each other enough during the day, but at night all hell breaks lose at times. There was a few nights that I could hear dogs barking, yelping, fighting outside my hut. With this in mind, most of the dogs that you will see are not in very good shape. Most of them are beat up or flea ridden, however there are some exceptions to this of course.
    My warning is to be careful when near the dogs that you see, especially at night or when eating on the beach. From what I saw on the beach, everytime somebody tried to be nice to one dog, another would get upset and a fight would soon start.

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo

Watch out the killer dogs!!

by kimmo_v Updated Aug 21, 2003

The dog on the pic has nothing to do with that air

Well, thats what we saw one sunny day.

A innocent girl was approaching the beach with air-matress from the sea. When she reached the sea, this doggy came running and starting to bite the air-matress!
    The girl had to give that air-matress to that beast for her own safety.
    The doggy just bite and bite and bite until, "pfooof", air-matress was empty.
    After that, the dog lifted up his left back leg, and marked the air-matress.
    Noughty boy!!

• ratherton's Profile Photo

Dogs on the streets

by ratherton Written Jan 17, 2005

Let sleeping dogs lie

Around the streets and beaches at Chaweng, there seem to be an endless number of dogs just wandering around. I never saw any acting agressively towards anyone but it's best to leave them alone.

• TinyTuck's Profile Photo

Little Doggies

by TinyTuck Written Nov 23, 2002

I had a hard time not to pet them, and to keep in mind that street dogs might transmit all kinds of deseases :-(

Instant Answers: Ko Samui

• Feb 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM

If you are a sensible person, you will see quite clearly that as pointed out a few posts up. These aren't like the pets u and your mates have but pretty easy to see that they're pretty dirty and not worth stroking anyway. Never had a problem. Just use your common sense. Leave them alone unless you see it interacting with another person well. Problem solved. They won't attack you, as a previous message said, they fight amongst themselves. If you don't bother it, it won't bother you