Ko Tao Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by food_fanatic
  • Restaurants
    by food_fanatic
    Su Chilli restaurant, Ko Tao.
    by planxty

Most Recent Restaurants in Ko Tao

• SophieCheer's Profile Photo

The Gallery: Best fried rice on the island

by SophieCheer Written Jan 6, 2013

Small fresh restaurant with amazing food. Everyone working on the restaurant are extremly nice and friendly. Chris and his wife owns the restaurant. Chris is very nice! Lots of food to choose between on the menu plus they have specials everyday. Great traditional Thai food. Fresh and clean toilets which I think is a big plus. Not expensive at all. I ate at a lot of good restaurants on Koh Tao but I'd say this one wins a big trophy. You'll have to go there yourself to see what I mean. I ate there 3 times during my stay. Soon there will also be a gallery and spa!

Favorite Dish: For starter I'd recommend the spring rolls or satay sticks. For main course the Fried rice with chicken it's amazing. Best of all the chicken fried rice I ate and I ate a lot. And as for dessert, fried bananas with chocolate chip ice cream. I got to taste some dishes from my friends and everything was amazing so I'd say go for anything.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• MOOV Restaurant, Club and Art Garden: The most beautiful location with the best food!

by food_fanatic Written Jul 8, 2012

MOOV Restaurant & Club is enchanting, playful & imaginative! ​

By entering the first feeling was coming into little Morocco ! The design and decor Moroccan style, very cozy atmosphere.

The garden is huge and a funny art playground.
    A big statue, like the once on Easter Island, named Hank, is residing over a gorgeous pond with little Aardvark next to him!
    That's just two out of many!
    Not to forget the only tree house on Koh Tao is found there in a huge cashew nut tree with sea view.
    Everywhere through out the garden are comfy seats and cozy corners to have yummy tapas and delicious cocktails.
    Very cool and relaxed place with good tunes to hang out or play some pool.
    Twice a month great parties often with funny themes. Updates always on http://www.moov-kohtao.com/#!home/mainPage

Favorite Dish: - Super yummy ribs, so tender and juicy, the meat is nearly falling of the bone!
    - Tuna Taco with red tuna Sashimi inside hmmmmm
    - Japanese Gyozas, just the right crunchiness on the outside and juicy inside!

• Business Travel

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

El Toro: Mexican and a movie!

by tvdandy Updated Feb 6, 2012

This is a great restaurant in Sairee Village. Not only does it have solid mexican chow, which is kind of rare in the land of rice, BUT it also runs movies throughout the night. I love being able to chill on a cushioned chair or sofa, order some grub, and watch Hangover 2. Now that's my idea of paradise.

• Barracuda: Best seafood on the island, hands down!

by hannjoy Written Sep 5, 2011
    The after picture.... I was sad it was gone!!

I got my open water scuba certification while on Ko Tao and asked my dive instructor where the best seafood could be found, he sent me to Barracuda. The restaurant is situated on Lotus Road, across the street from Lotus Bar. A small venue, it's well lit and very clean with a more attentive level of service than most Thai restaurants you come across. Meaning that they have you wait to be seated and the server will check in several times rather than just taking your order then bringing the food and the check. During peak season it's recommended that you make a reservation, this is the only restaurant in Thailand where I've seen that. There was a special promotion when we went there where the meal was discounted %10 and you got a free glass of red or white wine with your meal. The menu had a wide variety of sea food and non-seafood options, including the fish for which the restaurant is named.

Favorite Dish: We ordered mojitos because they were the special and they were soooo good! A lot of specialty drinks that you might order in Thailand are either really sweet, or not exactly how you expect them to be made, but these were perfect! The entire menu looked amazing, it's a different type of Thai food, more of a Thai/American/BBQ fusion. Overwhelmed by choices we ordered the Special Seafood Platter which came with: a whole grilled red snapper, barracuda steaks, Thai fish cakes (more of a crab cake with fish meat then the deep fried thai versions we've seen), GIANT whole prawns, baked green-lipped mussels, and quartered roast potatoes. ORDER THIS!!!! It was flipping fantastic. I literally wanted to cry. We've made it a mission to find the best seafood in Thailand and although this was not traditional Thai food, it was still one of the best meals I've ever eaten. It was a little pricier for the special and it was a two person minimum dish, 390 baht each. Still well worth it. In America the same meal could have gone for $200.

• Beaches

• austarman's Profile Photo

Wind beach restaurant: BBQ seafood on the beach!

by austarman Written Feb 2, 2010

Seafood BBQ anyone?

There are lots of resorts that have restaurants with tables right on the sand overlooking Sairee beach.
    The one at the northern end of the beach was our favorite as the staff were so friendly and the food excellent.

Favorite Dish: The BBQ Snapper was great as was the mixed BBQ. Great food, great location and great staff.

• Beaches

• planxty's Profile Photo

Dang Dang restaurant.: Nice local food.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Dang Dang restaurant, Ko Tao, Thailand.

I only ate there once, in the mid afternoon, and it was consequently fairly quiet, although it gets busier in the evening and rightly so as the food is very good. Service is quick and friendly, there is an English menu and the staff all speak it to a greater or lesser degree.

I had a dish of curried pork and rice which was very tasty and, after the usual ritual about being able to eat hot food, was spicy as I like it.

Had there not been so many other options locally I wanted to try, no doubt I would have returned here more often.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: Curried pork and rice.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Little Chef.: A taste of the West.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Little Chef restaurant, Ko Tao, Thailand.

If you have had a fill of noodle soup and rice, you may well feel like a taste of home, and this is a decent place to get it. The Thai lady and her European boyfriend, seen here beavering away) knock out the usual range of breakfasts, burgers, chips (French fries), sandwiches and the like. I used to pop in here for a light snack before diving as I didn't want to be too full obviously.

A decent place to satisfy those Western cravings.

Favorite Dish: The scrambled eggs on toast was good.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Thongpat's Thai Food.: Friendly local eatery.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Thongpat's restaurant, Ko Tao, Thailand.

Let's be honest, the name is pretty unimaginative but that is about the only negative quality here. As the name implies Thongpat's deals only in Thai food, the only nod to Western cuisine being the omelette. This is in stark contrast to most of the restaurants on Ko Tao which are very much geared to travellers. The eponymous Thongpat and her English boyfriend are both very friendly and I ate here a few times, with the food being of a consistently high standard and served quickly. I never had a less than totally enjoyable meal here.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: All delicious but, if forced, I would say the garlic and pepper pork.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Unnamed restaurant.: My first taste this trip.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Unnamed restaurant, Ko Tao, Thailand.

I am very partial to the do-it-yourself barbecue / soup style of eating favoured round much of Southeast Asia. For those of you not familiar with the concept, allow me to explain. A bucket of glowing charcoal is place on (often in a hole) the table, then a round metal utensil with a reservoir on the outside and vents in the conical centre. You are provided with raw meats / fish which you barbecue in the middle and then fill the reservoir with broth in which you cook noodles, vegetables and sometimes an egg or two. As the juices run down from the cooking meat, it makes a beautiful soup which you eat with the meat. Have a look at my Luang Prabang page for a full description of the process involved.

For various reasons I hadn't managed to have such a dish until I got to Ko Tao and I stumbled upon this unnamed restaurant in Mae Haad. Service was good and friendly although the man had very limited English, and the food was very good. As usual here, by home standards it was also very inexpensive. The idea of this kind of eating is that it is very much "en famille" and my problem is that there is always far two much for just one person even with my appetite. Best shared between at least two, which was what was happening amongst the predominantly Thai clientele.

Favorite Dish: The DIY barbecue / soup as described.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Street stall.: The most beautiful kebabs.

Kebab, Ko Tao, Thailand.

Right beside the pancake lady in Sairee (see seperate tip) there is another stall worthy of note. You will find kebabs of just about every description all over Thailand but I have to say these were some of the best I have ever tasted. I think the secret is in a tomato chilli sauce that they uses to baste the kebabs as they cook which gives them a lovely glaze. You can choose from various meats, my favourite being the pork (ask for moo) and they make a delicious late night snack.

Again, as is the way here, prices are ridiculously cheap, merely a few baht per stick. I apologise for the photo, there were initially more sticks but , so delicious were they, I had devoured them before I remembered to get my camera out!

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: Kebabs obviously, but I think my favourite is the pork.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Street stall.: The other pancake man.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Pancake Vendor, Ko Tao, Thailand.

If you have read my other tip about Ali the pancake man, you will know that I found an alternative source for my late night pancake indulgence a little closer to my bungalow. This place has no name, just one of the ubiquitous street stalls that so define Thai eating, but the pancakes here are every bit as good as Ali's. It has the additional benefit of being right next door to another stall which serves some of the best kebabs I have ever had so a quick five minute visit will supply all your late night eating needs (see seperate tip for the kebab stall).

Here is a tip about pancakes in Thailand. Many of the vendors will have a limited English vocabulary comprising basically of the nouns on the menu, chocolate, banana and so on. However, most will enquire, once the pancake has been prepared and cut into bite sized pieces, "Sweet?" This effectively means "do you want me to pour Carnation condensed milk over this?" The answer for me is generally yes. Apart from the fact I love the stuff, it really does add to the flavour. Think about it, why would it be offered if it did not taste good?

When I get time to construct my Prachuapkhirikan page I will explain how I had a pancake (more a crepe really than a pancake as understood in the UK) with an egg in the middle and covered with the stuff. It sounds odd but was absolutely delicious.

Favorite Dish: Pancakes obviously, I do rather like the peanut butter and honey (my own invention!)

• planxty's Profile Photo

Ali the Pancake Man.: A Ko Tao institution.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Ali's pancake, Ko Tao, Thailand.

According to travellers and guidebooks alike, this guy is something of an institution in Sairee, he is Ali the pancake man. Pancakes are a staple for travellers and indeed they are very well prepared all over Thailand but this guy seems to have acquired some legendary status apparently. Actually, I found another pancake stall a bit nearer where I was staying that offered comparable food but the lady here doesn't seem to get the plaudits Ali does and she rightly deserves. I think it is a problem of Lonely Planet guides, which I have used for years, although as I mentioned in my Myanmar pages a while ago, a place gets into the LP guide and suddenly everyone goes there and ignores all the other local options which may be as good or even better.

I suppose with Ali it is the old dictum of location, location, location. Every night he sets up at the corner. Don't worry about which corner, there is only one and anyone will guide you there. Until the not so early hours he knocks up delicious pancakes for the tired and over-emotional wending their wear way home from the bars, and he does it very well.

Worth a visit but don't ignore the other pancake sellers just because Ali is in your guide.

Favorite Dish: Pancakes obviously, just take your pick of the fillings.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Snack Shack: A taste of home.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Snack Shack, Ko Tao, Thailand.

OK, so you have been on the road a while and, despite your best efforts to live locally, you are craving a hot dog, burger, fish and chips or whatever, this is the palce for you. Located just behind the very popular Lotus Bar (see seperate tip) it is designed to ensnare the homesick backpacker. Let's be honest, it happens to us all sooner or later although my choice, late one evening, of a falafel pitta pocket and curried chips probably owed more to the Beer Chang consumed than anything else. Thais don't always get Western food quite right, indeed why would or even should they, having such a wonderful cuisine of their own. Undoubtedly my offering of Tom Yum Kung would be laughed at by most Thai, although this place does better than most. Whilst you may feel you are compromising your "real" travellers credentials, it is worth a stop if you feel the need.

Note that it runs fairly much in sync with the Lotus Bar and does not open until about 5 in the evening, staying open half the night.

Favorite Dish: The falafel pitta pocket was very tasty.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Tik restaurant.: Small but perfectly formed.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Tik restaurant, Ko Tao, Thailand.

Whilst out walking one day I happened upon this small place and, feeling a bit peckish, decided to pop in for a bowl of soup noodles, which I am fond of. I was greeted warmly by the lady there who had only limited English, although the menu was in both languages. I ordered my soup noodles with pork and a watermelon shake which arrived very promptly. Very tasty it was too, especially after I had added the requisite chilli flakes, and two different kinds of chilli oil. Yes, it is true, like the peoples of Southeast Asia I do like chilli. Actually, I read just recently that the chilli is not indigenous to these parts but was introduced by the Portuguese for which I must thank them.

The menu featured all the usual standards and some Western food as well, no doubt to satisfy the travellers and expats. Indeed, I saw a couple of expats eating here so it must have a good name amongst them, given the amount of local competition.

Anyway, there is not much more to say about this place. It is a little off the main drag but worth seeking out. It is clean, the food is good, the service friendly and prompt and the price almost laughably low. What more could you possibly ask for in a restaurant?

Favorite Dish: The soup noodles as described in the main text.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Marina restaurant.: A surprising disappointment.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Marina restaurant, Ko Tao, Thailand.

I had been told that the Marina restaurant was a good bet for a meal, and I headed there one night. Now, I am forever telling people that I have never had a bad meal in Thailand, and it would be unfair to say this was bad but it just wasn't that good. Being off season the place was a bit quiet and I did arrive a bit late. I was warmly welcomed in the Thai way, and the location was pleasant on the beach. My disappointment stems from the food. I understand that some of the more chilli laden dishes may be toned down to cater for Western palates not used to the heat but this was not the case here. I opted for the sweet and sour prawns, which were beautifully presented, the prawns themselves being well cooked and succulent. The sauce however I can only describe as bland. I am no chef but I could have produced a sauce with more taste than that.

I really do not like producing negative tips and, as I say, everything else was spot on but in an area with so many very good options (see other tips) and my time limited, this seemed like a bit of a wasted opportunity. Perhaps I just caught the chef on a bad night but I can only report as I find. I would have to say, this is the only culinary (slight) disappointment I have had this, or indeed any other, trip to this wonderful country.

Favorite Dish: On the basis of my one visit, I would not care to recommend anything.

Instant Answers: Ko Tao

Comments

Ko Tao Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ko Tao restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ko Tao sightseeing.