Krabi Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Krabi

• Gard's Profile Photo

Hot Springs

by Gard Written Apr 22, 2003

Trying out the hot springs

Favorite thing: We decided to rent a car one day and we just asked the in reception. After a couple of hours Budget brought a nice Honda Civic to us for 2000 baht for a day. Driving around Krabi was not to bad even if they drive on the “wrong” side of the road. I guess the main point is to try to drive like the locals. At one point we were going to slow and the cars behind us very eager to get past us. We drove of to find some hot springs but that turned out to not be that easy. Some of us read the map while I tried to keep the vehicle under control. When we were getting closer to the hot springs we started asking locals and we were sent in all sorts of directions. But we found it in the end and we were more or less alone here. They have built concrete pathways in the jungle and in the end you find the hot springs were you can take a little bath. Once again it seems like they are doing lots of construction work so I’m sure the place will change quite a lot in the future. I didn't try out the water because I had already gotten a sunburn the day before and I didn't feel like getting even warmer :-)

• j-san's Profile Photo

Karsts and palm trees - Krabi skyline

by j-san Written Apr 12, 2003

karst and coconut palms

Favorite thing: This karst forms a kind of backdrop to Ao Nang. At its base are the more expensive resorts.
    I found this information on the internet:

These limestone karsts were formed 260 million years ago when a shallow sea, running the entire length of south Asia, slowly built up deep deposits of coral and shells which were later buried under sediments washing in from the land.

Compressed deep in the earth these calcium carbonate remains formed limestone. This was thrust up above the surface when the Indian subcontinent collided with mainland Asia some 30 million years ago. From Gualin in China, to Sarawak in Borneo, the limestone created craggy islands on land and in water. In the South of Thailand, the provinces of Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Krabi and Trang have the most spectacular examples of this type of scenery.

• Beaches

• Elginah's Profile Photo

Small Town

by Elginah Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: There wasn't much to see and do in Krabi - after having spent most days by the poolside. So we took a longtail boat out to the other beaches. Not quite what we expected, but nice beaches nonetheless. Unfortunately the rains kept us from going snorkeling again at Koh Phi Phi Don this time. We took a trip out to James Bond Island and went canoeing.

Fondest memory: Chasing a gecko out of our bungalow *lol* And chasing butterflies around the hotel.

• Spa and Resort

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Getaway

by leffe3 Written Jan 21, 2003

Favorite thing: Believe it or not, this is the 'resort' town of Ao Nang. As you can see, there is very little development, thus providing the perfect beach getaway holiday but with enough to do to prevent you going stir crazy.

• papajoeb's Profile Photo

Catch the longtail!

by papajoeb Written Feb 14, 2003

Favorite thing: Didn't spend much time in the town, but what i saw was decent. What i recommend however is to catch the first longtail out to Rayleigh beach. It will blow your mind!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Rayleigh was pushing aside a giant palm leaf to discover the lagoon in the center of a hollowed out mountain!

See my off the beaten path tip for this

• where in Krabi?

by seagypsy Written May 8, 2009

Favorite thing: Hi OP Jane,
    when you say Krabi are you referring to the town of Krabi or to the province because there are towns such as Ao Nang or Railey West that would meet your family's needs with swimming pool. Anyways, was in the area last month and it wasn't that busy so you could elect to wait until you arrive to shop around and see the places for yourself BUT major discounts are given by hotel websites which would be much cheaper than 'off the street' or 'walk-in' rates.

As for beaches, Raileh West is much nicer than Ao Nang. Napporat Bech which is west of Ao Nang is very shallow at low tide so you kids might enjoy chasing small crabs in the mud flats. Overall, Raileh West's beach is beter and there are areas that are roped off to protect beach-goers from longtails and speedboats.

• bulldogtwo's Profile Photo

Buying silver

by bulldogtwo Written Sep 19, 2009

Favorite thing: If you are going to Krabi then I will assume that you are going through Bangkok??? That is where I would get it if you are not going to chiang mai. You are going to have a better selection and it's going to be a lot cheaper. There are hundreds of places to get it around Bangkok, if you have the time shop around for the best deals and you'll be happy.
    Have fun

• jackiesg's Profile Photo

Be patient with your food, or the cook...

by jackiesg Written Feb 9, 2008

Thai stir fry flat noodles - Phat Thai

Favorite thing: Krabi, a beautiful place and gives one a very relax feeling.

People there are truly friendly and easygoing.

Maybe it's their lifestyle that they take things slow and easy, my food always (actually it's everytime) comes served after a long wait. For all my dinning experience in Krabi, no matter it's open-air hawker stalls or restaurants,the wait for my food to be served is never less than 30 mins after ordering.

So friends, go find food before you're very hungry, bcos if not, you'll turn very angry instead. :P Order some drinks first, sit back and relax or chat with your friends bcos even the starters like deep fried spring rolls can take some time too.

"When in Rome, do what the romans do" - relax!

• heitim's Profile Photo

Lonely on the beach!!

by heitim Written May 6, 2003

Favorite thing: If you take a longtail boat and visit some island near Ao-Nang, then you can njoy the beach alone! Not overcrowded beaches at all

Fondest memory: What can I say... most beautiful beaches and best seafood restourants in the world. I miss it so much right now.

• Honeymoon in Krabi province

by seagypsy Written Jul 22, 2009

Favorite thing: I agree with the above post that the Andaman Coast will pretty much have come to the end of the monsoon season whereas the Gulf islands will be starting up their's.
    And besides, the Krabi area offers more natural beauty and far better marine life than Samui.
    As to accomodations, you've got the choice of Ao Nang or Railay (and even more exclusive places) with Ao Nang being a touristy zone with many places to eat, shop (touristy shops) whereas Railay is mainly a resort zone with a far better beach (though still not great for snorkeling) but limited and expensive restaurants.
    Then you've got the choice for islands of Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta of which PP is more famous for it's stunning beauty. If you want privacy, then there are some resorts on the eastside that have their own beach that are more exclusive but you're a short longtail ride into the central busy area at Ton Sai.
    Depending upon how much time you've got, I recommend splitting your time between the mainland (Ao Nang or Raileh West) and PP Island.

• National/State Park
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• bulldogtwo's Profile Photo

Driving in Thailand

by bulldogtwo Written Oct 3, 2009

Favorite thing: es, as Grace said, you can rent a motorbike for a few $$ but it really depends also on how far you wnat to travel, your skill level in traffic to and from. Your destination is NOT just around the corner, I think it is a good distance to travel, easily doable, just keep in mind the distance, and I think there is currently contruction going on in between but it is not bad and traffic does flow decently.

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Take it Easy, My Friend

by Aidy_p Updated Apr 3, 2007
    Aircraft's view of Krabi Airport's surrounding

Fondest memory: Once the aircraft lands on the tarmac of Krabi Airport, it signals the start of your glorious holiday. Especially if you come from a hustling bustling city like Singapore, time seemed to tick away so slowly.

Take it easy. Don't need to rush to take a leak and then plow yourself through the gates to hail a taxi.

• iNorv9's Profile Photo

High season/Low season?

by iNorv9 Written Dec 21, 2005
    Blue skies even during the low season....

Favorite thing: The high season in Krabi generally lasts from October to April, while the low season is between May and September. Prices increase almost by double during the high season, though from what I heard, you pretty much get what you pay for.

My visit to Krabi was during the low season in late July; I have school the rest of the year so there really wasn't much of a choice. That said, the weather wasn't all that bad. On the whole, I'd say it was sunny at least every other day, and it rained about once every 4 days (and luckily the rain usually comes in the late evening). Apart from the weather, a major downside to the low season is that the sea is usually rather choppy, making boating excursions a little less enjoyable. At the same time, you won't have to deal with crowds.

The people I talked to while I was in Krabi said the low season weather really goes in spurts: you can have a week of sun followed by a week of dreariness. So weigh the pros (less crowds, lower prices) with the cons (unpredictable weather, higher prices), and see what time is right for you.

• Glorija's Profile Photo

For all the romantic lovers

by Glorija Written Oct 15, 2004
    Me and Saso

Favorite thing: While exploring Krabi we meet two lovely couple who just get merried and there were on hooneymoon on Krabi. So remember if you are looking for a nice place to take you beloved person try krabi beach. I am sure the satisfaction will be both way totally.

Fondest memory: I was exploring Thailand and Krabi with my favorite person Saso and must admit I would love to go there again. But there is so much places more undiscovered I believe our road will lead us further in Asia since I like it so much.

• vigi's Profile Photo

Kids Aquatic Playground

by vigi Written Sep 6, 2005

Fondest memory: A rush whirlwind trip to Krabi... we had a LONG tiring bus trip up from Phuket. Our first stop after lunch was Hat Noppharat Thara Beach, where a group of kids were happily playing with the waves.

Instant Answers: Krabi

Comments

Krabi Favorites

Reviews and photos of Krabi favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Krabi sightseeing.