Krabi Sports & Outdoors

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Krabi

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Rock climbing at Railay

by deeper_blue Written May 21, 2012

Near to Krabi lies beautiful Railay bay, and a large rock climbing centre. There are lots of centres who will guide you up the rock face for a good price, I used King Climbers.
    The rocks are all made from limestone and there are plenty of easy, medium and hard climbs to try out.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Gentle Kayaking with Mr Kayak

by sourbugger Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are several companies offering excursions, and all at around the same price.

I was however quite impressed with the Mr Kayak outfit. They had good equipment, new their territory well and were very friendly.

We bought a two-island visit, and after kayaking over to the island we tourned the logoons and mangrove swaps, coming across monkey colonies, caves, gekkos and other wildlife. It was well paced, and sensible stops were taken for refreshment. The monkeys were obviuosly well-used to visitors and eargerly lept from boat to boat to secure the goodies on offer.

We also found a monkey by himself in the mangrove swamp, who it is believed (at the moment) somehow ostracised from the main group.

Unfortunately the winds came up at lunchtime, which meant the second half of the trip had to be cancelled. To their credit half of the money was refunded without the slightest hesitation and lunch was thrown in for free.

• Kayaking

Swimming

by GracesTrips Written Oct 31, 2008

How can you not enjoy the water at the beach?! The water temperature is soooo warm you feel like you're in bath water. It feels great! Not much of a surf or wind, though. So, you probably couldn't go surfing or windsurf. The sand is extremely soft and fine. Almost like powder. We also found lots of small seashells on the beach.

Rock Climbing

by GracesTrips Written Oct 29, 2008

We didn't do this but saw quite a few people who were. You don't need to bring any equipment with you because they have everything you need there. Everything in Railay was one entire cost to do snorkel tours or climbing tours. Climbing tours were located on Railay East.

Rent a Kayak

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 29, 2008

Renting a kayak from Railay Beach is rather easy and inexpensive. No need to shop for the best rate because all of them charge the same price. Renting is by the hour and the more hours you rent your kayak for, the cheaper it is. For two hours it cost us 300 baht (US$9.00). Because we rent the kayak from our own resort, they let us add the cost to our room tab. Ask for a waterproof storage bag for the items you plan to take along with you. You will need it because it gets pretty wet onto the kayak.

We enjoyed kayaking around Railay. There are many beaches to just stop off at and enjoy. Lots to explore right near the coast. I wouldn't try kayaking to Chicken or Poda Islands, it's a bit far. Even by long tail boat, it takes some time to reach them. They appear not to be that far but they are.

Equipment: SUNSCREEN is a must. The sun is intense and if you hop into the water, you don't feel the heat of the sun.

Take bottled water and some fruit. We did and after an hour of kayaking, we were thirsty and a bit hungry.

• Water Sports

Snorkeling at nearby Islands

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 24, 2008

Snorkeling in Krabi! We stayed on Railay Beach and I had researched various boat tours to the local islands to snorkel at. Green Planet Tours seemed to be quite reasonable (450 baht per person or US$13.64) but there was a reason for that. I think I saw other boat tours for 1200 baht per person. Green Planet takes you to 4 islands (more like 3), provides lunch (hot chicken, vegetable dish with rice- that was pretty good) and snorkel gear/life jackets. We traveled on a long tail boat not a speed boat as the brochure shows you. So, getting to the islands takes some time. The islands we went to were Poda Island, Tup Island and Chicken Island. We also stopped off at Phranang Beach where we waded through the water to climb upon a cave area. Total time was about 4 hours.

Safety tip - make sure to put sunscreen on your back several times during the day. You don't feel the sunburn because you're in the water but the sun is quite intense.

Equipment: Sun Screen

• Ofusan's Profile Photo

Climbing

by Ofusan Written Mar 22, 2008

Hi..
    I'm from Malaysia and there is some routes for climbing in Tioman and Batu Caves (K.L) If You're heading to Tioman go to Kampung JUARA (Juara Village)
    Over there they have about 50 (more or less) routes for climbing.

I'm going to Krabi in July myself. I've book the ticket flights already. My plan is t stay in Krabi for a few days then take a boat to Phuket. I wont be bringing my ropes, just my runners/ shoes and of cause my harness. Well, we just pray :) the rain wont be so heavily in that month.

Happy Climbing!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• clouds111's Profile Photo

Muay Thai - Ao Nang Stadium

by clouds111 Written Jan 7, 2008

Muay Thai is popular through out Thailand and Ao Nang has its own stadium. For 800 bahts each (more for ring side seats) you can watch up to 10 fights. The levels of experiance and ages get higher so the longer you stay the better fights you will see.

The stadium is quite large but unless you're in ring side seats you cannot access the bar but a guy will come round selling chang, singha and soft drinks.

Diving

by Sambawalk Updated Dec 24, 2006

Ao-nang dive shop in Krai Seaview Resort

There are many dive sites around Krabi area. There are local water or diving in Phi Phi islands. I chose to dive in Phi Phi islands when I was there. Prices in Krabi to dive sites are quite expensive. The locla water dives are 2,200 bahts for 2 dives and to Phi Phi islands 2,900 bahts for 2 dives. Equipments are 700 baht extra. If you do 3 dives from Krabi, it will cost 3,900 bahts plus equipment. In my opinion, expensive.

In addition, although there few dive shops in town, all prices all standardised and the same. I found out that all dives shops have agreement to maintain the same prices. So it is cartel operation.

I stayed in Krabi Seaview Resort and it has its own dive shop:

Other dive shops that you can check out as follows:

Kayaking

by Sambawalk Written Dec 23, 2006

Kayaking is enjoying in the Krabi islands. There are day tours which combine island hopping and kayaking together. The sea is calm, as you can see, so no worries. The day tour may cost 1000 baht up, depends on the tour contents and duration. There are half day or full day in various places.

Rock Climbing

by Sambawalk Written Dec 23, 2006

Krabi is famous for rock climbing on the limestone outcrop. The climb is vertical is some parts and you can see form the pics. But training is provided and your climb is under supervision. No worries.

Equipment: The operator will provide you evrything, including the shoes.

• DarkRay's Profile Photo

Kayaking In Krabi

by DarkRay Written Apr 15, 2005

Kayaking in Ao Thalen

Whether it is cutting through the mangroves in Ao Thalen, or navigating around an island in the open sea, kakaking can be a relaxing way to do it.

Tuned out from the engine noise of a boat, you are also able to feel closer to nature and explore a place at your own leisure pace.

There are various operators in Krabi offering a number of kayaking expeditions to many different parts of Krabi. Prices usually range upwards from 750 baht.

Equipment: Do bring a good dry bag if you are bringing your camera along and of course, the ever indispensible sunscreen!

• Kayaking

• gabyne's Profile Photo

Rock climbing in Krabi

by gabyne Updated Mar 19, 2005

me bouldering in Krabi

Krabi is one of the best and most well-known areas for rock climbing in South East Asia. The landscape is magnificent: the blue sea, white beach, green jungle and the high limestone rocks in all shades between red, grey and brown.

The biggest areas are Railey West and East, Tonsai (for the very good climbers) and some smaller ones like Pra Nang, Eagle Wall etc.

Equipment: You can bring your own gear or rent it at one of the climbing shops around. You can also do courses with the climbing shops.

• gib157's Profile Photo

World class climbing

by gib157 Written Jan 26, 2005
    Climbing

Although I didnt do any myself I met quite a few people who were in the Railey area rock climbing. Aparently it is well known among rock climbers and I can see why. Sheer rock cliffs amongst stunning natural scenery. I cant think of a nicer place, the views must be amazing. There a re a few climbing shops so its very easy to get started.

• Tenzin's Profile Photo

Admire the caves close up

by Tenzin Written Oct 14, 2004

Have fun.

At Ao Talane about 30 minutes drive from Ao Nang, we went kayaking as part of the half day tour package. My wife was hesitant initially but as she gathered confidence she began to enjoy the 2 hrs rowing as we all did. The guide took us on the calm emerald waters into the brownish ones at the mangrove swamp. If your eyes are sharp and quick, you will get to see macaques, kingfishers and monitor lizards. A waterproof bag is provided for your camera and binoculars.

Equipment: Just wear your life jackets and you are ready to go. It's a good idea to learn from the guide how to steer the kayak before venturing forward. Saves a lot of arguing with your partner later.

Instant Answers: Krabi

Comments

Krabi Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Krabi sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Krabi sightseeing.