Rock Climbing, Krabi

• Rock Climbing
    by Paul_the_Seeker
  • Rock Climbing

by eugene29 Written Jul 18, 2008

The guides at Hot Rock Climbing are wonderful and experienced. Hot Rock conducts climbing classes for beginners and has guides for hire for the lone climbers. Equipment is provided with drinks.

The are also many other climbing shops around in Railay too. To name a few, there's Tex Climbing, King Climbers and a few others.

The climbing areas in Railay are also abundant but it depends on the level of experience you have. 1-2-3 wall is normally crowded with the climbing shops conducting courses as the routes here are generally easier. For the more experienced climbers or anyone that wants a challenge, Ton Sai Bay would be the place to go. The routes there are significantly harder and ranges from 6B+ onwards. It is also generally quieter too.

• Adventure Travel

• bladedragon's Profile Photo

Rock climbing

by bladedragon Written Mar 26, 2008

Krabi is also known for a rock climbing place.
    You can find an easy to moderate level of rock climbing here.
    Many tour operators offer rock climbing packages, and some even offer basic rock climbing training for beginners.

• gwen_tifa's Profile Photo

Rock Climbing in Rai Ley

by gwen_tifa Written Dec 25, 2005

Quite a number of enthusiasts do rock climb at the cliffs of Rai Ley. If you are a climber, you can bring your own equipment along and climb on your own for free. For amaetures like me would require a guide (or whom they call "a leader") to help to set up the ropes. It's my first time climbing and I have enjoyed it a lot - probably we always climb the fake rock walls in Singapore. This is quite a challenge and I am glad I have picked it up as one of my interest if I ever try rock climbing on real cliffs!

Quite a number of various climbing schools in Rai Ley beach, you might wish to walk around and find out which one you think you can rely on best. The one which i signed up for is Hot Rocks, half a day cost 800Baht , while a full day (inclusive of lunch) costs about 1600 Baht - and it could be perfect compeition that the prices are more or less same across the different schools. I saw the Cliffsman climbing school (they have nice hair style too!) as well, also quite reputable. So climb on today!

Climbing
    • Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• Paul_the_Seeker's Profile Photo

Rock Climbing in Railay, Krabi, Thailand

by Paul_the_Seeker Updated Nov 15, 2004

Railay is a rock-climbing mecca of Southeast Asia. Rock climbers made this area popular, and now it is a hit among other tourists as well. This has spurred lots of development (not good), which is mostly old, hut-style places being replaced by fancy, upscale bungalows. Inflation here is among the highest in Thailand, but it is still relatively cheap compared to most western countries. As for the scenery, all around are shear limestone cliffs with over 500 bolted routes. If you have never climbed before, no problem; most climbers here are experiencing their first climbs. There are a half-dozen climbing shops with experienced guides who lead groups usually no larger than four (the two times I've been, there were just two of us). You can rent gear here, or bring your own and climb to your heart's content. You can also hire boats for trips to several nearby islands.

For much more info including climbing shops, check out this site: www.simonfoley.com

For a good map, click on the link below, then select "Krabi" from the pulldown.

• pehsan's Profile Photo

rock climbing

by pehsan Updated Dec 13, 2003

it was the spectacular experience i never thought i could do. i made a booking from my simple beach side fan bungalow for a whole day rock climbing. the climb cost me 1500baht for whole day inclusive lunch and a free t-shirt from cliffman's climbers. if you just want to try-out u may book for the half day package cost 800 baht exclude lunch and t-shirt.
    my first time advanture started out at 9.00am in the morning and a van pick us up at our bangalow to ao nang beach. after 15 mins boat ride to railey beach we walked to "cliffman's climber" with excitment and curiosity... my senses were telling me this will be my best experience in krabi once my eyes were on all the climbing tools display on the shelf.
    time flew by and our batteries were down, before i knew it...it was time for us to leave. it has been 1 hour behind the schdule and we had to wait for hours for the long tail boat to send us back. when the long tail boat was in view, you have to walk in the water with your pack and get on the boat from the shore. (that was my first experience too which i dun really want to experience it again...). but it might be unforgetable moment for some love birds strolling in the water hand in hand...hee...

ahhh...