Krabi Tourist Traps

• Gard's Profile Photo

James Bond Island

by Gard Written Apr 22, 2003
    Scenes from James Bond Island

I guess this is one of the most well know landscapes in the world and it was made popular by the movie “The man with the Golden Gun”. The island itself was not worth more that the 30 minutes we stopped there but I have to admit that it is cool to have been there :-)

Phi Phi Don - Tonsai Bay

no swimming in Tonsai Bay

It certainly makes a pretty picture, but would you want to swim there? Not to mention the noise of these boats. I almost feel sorry for the people who booked their accommodation on this side of the island. (Except for the fact that they have a heck of alot more money than me! ;) )

So smelly

Phi Phi Don side streets

Mind your step and hold your nose as you walk across from Tonsai Bay to the otherside of the island. I was shocked that this is a National Park?!? There is clearly some problem with waste disposal. I hope they can solve it soon...

Phi Phi Don

by j-san Written Apr 12, 2003

Thumping music and chairs for hire

Ok, I can't judge for sure as I was there for only a couple of hours. However upon arriving at Phi Phi Don you can forget about Tonsai Bay: it's a boat harbor. Then walking across to the otherside you have to walk through litter-filled and very very smelly little streets. On the otherside you are greeted with blaring music from the beachside hotels and restaurants and signs telling you that the beach-chairs blocking the sand and views can be hired. I was glad to get out of here quick!

Unique Suggestions: If you can afford the expensive resorts that are probably away from the sewer-like stench that permeates the Tonsai area, and don't mind the music and Club-Med type atmosphere than you just might love it!

Princess Cave and beach

by j-san Written Apr 12, 2003

the only few meters free of boats

This is shown in all the pictures of Krabi and touted as one of the most beautiful spots. When we got there the water was full of longtail boats and the beach far from deserted, but instead full of other one-day trippers like us. There is also absolutely no where to escape the crowds yet nowhere to get a drink. The worst of both worlds - crowded, yet not convenient!

Ao Nang Princess day trip to Phi Phi

by j-san Written Apr 11, 2003

view from the upstairs level

The main reason why I wanted to sit in an airconditioned ferry is because I was rather sunburnt and the pamphlet made it all sound so nice. We were actually also ferrying passangers paying ONE THIRD less than us who were being taken one way to Phi Phi Don. They constantly complained why were making stops here and there. I should have realized that because its a ferry obviously, in spite of the what the pamphlet promised, we would never actually stop anywhere but out at sea or in a harbor. So we didnt go to any beaches (though the pamphlet showed them). When we did stop for snorkelling: 1) All the coral were dead 2) once we stopped somewhere with such a strong undercurrent that it took all my energy to swim back and two women had to be pulled back in 3) ALL the masks were leaking! it was ridiculous. The windows were dirty so it made it impossible to really enjoy the view (one of the reasons I took an air-con ferry was so I could avoid the sun of longtail boat for a day but still enjoy the view from inside.) The lunch we were served was some of the worst food I have ever tasted in thailand. And unbelievable as it may seem, they actually served us pinneapple that tasted like detergent! At the end of it people were really complaining. AVOID THIS TOUR!!

Fun Alternatives: It's a perfectly fine way to get to Phi Phi, if you will be staying there perhaps, but you simply won't get to see or enjoy much if you take it as a one day tour. The 4 island longtail boat tour was vastly superior and a third of the price.

• ubiq's Profile Photo

Floating Muslim village, Koh Pan Yi, Phang Nga

by ubiq Updated Mar 29, 2003

Floating Muslim village, Koh Pan Yi, Phang Nga, Thailand

not a total ripoff, but very touristy and overcrowded. Built totally over the sea, this floating village has almost nothing to see inside except the extensive souvenir shops.

Koh Pan Yi is very popular lunch place among the day trippers of Phang Nga's limestone sorroundings. Most restaurants are beside 'harbour' and are quite expensive compared to 'normal' tourist food at Thailand. Our food was very good, one fresh lobster and one fresh fish with side orders, but the bill was nearly 2000 BTHs. For Koh Pan Yi, I have to emphazise that he lobster was one of the most delicious one I've ever eaten.

Prices of seafood is not necessarily provided in the fresh aquarium of menu. So if you have tight budget it is best to ask the total sum of the lunch *before* you make your order.

Image is courtesy of www.phuketwebsite.com; will be changed

Unique Suggestions: Consider eating fresh seafood.

Instant Answers: Krabi

Comments

Krabi Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Krabi tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Krabi sightseeing.