Phuket Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Phuket

Mengrai seafood: Fantastic and cheap

by johnaalex Written Feb 11, 2007

Location of

I am very grateful for Tina-Perth (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9045f/) for getting me to eat here. In over 20 holidays on Phuket I must have walked past “food alley” hundreds of times without ever trying one of the several restaurants there. This January (2007) I met up with Tina and she said that this place did the best Thai food in Patong and she talked me into to eating there. I have to say every dish was great! Quality ingredients, well seasoned, well cooked and nicely presented. Sitting on a small and for somebody my size, rather uncomfortable red plastic stool was a small price to pay, but then the cost of the food was even smaller. The beef fried with Thai basil was very spicy and tasty – just what I like, the pad Thai which is not that spicy was a good dish to go with it and the spring rolls were fantastic. I revisited Mengrai with another group of friends and we ate a feast for about 350 THB each including beers. On that occasion there was a Thai in our party and she said the food was authentic and very good. Sabai Sabai is still my favourite place to eat as it is a bit more comfortable, but the menu here is more varied, the food is of comparable quality and it is a bit cheaper! The fact that there so many restaurants in such a small alley means competition is very high. I look forward to trying some of the other restaurants in Food Alley on my next trip.
    Note that it is easy to walk past the entrance to Food Alley so please use refer to the map posted with this tip.

Favorite Dish: Beef with Thai Basi - nice and spicy - tastes great!

• missblonde's Profile Photo

Promthrep Restaraunt: Make sure you go to Promthrep Cape Restaraunt

by missblonde Written Feb 9, 2007

The view at Promthrep is fantastic, worth a million dollars, and very popular...yet the food is so cheap and tastes great!
    Organise to visit the cape at around 6pm, get a seat right on the edge, looking over the cliff, and watch the sunset (6.30pm) as you eat!! The food is so cheap, its unbelievable, and enjoy a cocktail too!

Favorite Dish: Their vegetables were steamed to perfection, the crab was beautiful and the pork was so delicious. Their cocktails are yum too!

• joolssss's Profile Photo

Nong Pla: BBQ on the beach

by joolssss Written Jun 16, 2006

The food on offer!

We were taken here by a VTer who lives in Phuket. Its an awesome place on Rawaii beach. The "restaurant" barbeques, fish, crabs, huge prawns, chicken etc. We were introduced to Papaya salad which is hot and extremely yummy! We all had fish and chicken, and of course a few beers! you then cross the road and on the beach are tiny low tables with matting all around them, you sit on the floor on the matting with crossed legs or legs under the table and wait for them to bring your food and beer over! You are right next to the sea while you eat and while we were there we didnt see another single tourist! It was brilliant and the girls who work there are great fun and typically Thai - full of smiles and giggles!

Favorite Dish: Papaya sald is probably my favourite from here as it was the first place that I tried it and it was the hottest one that I tried! THe fish and chicken was cooked to perfection and it was the only place were we served with sticky rice which is much much nicer than "normal" rice!
    The beer was Chang beer ( ask for this as you are not often offered it, its local beer and much nicer than the Singha you are often offered!) And it was ice cold! perfection!

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Adventure Travel

• sukawats's Profile Photo

Bang Mud Restaurant: Freshest Seafood at floating Restaurant

by sukawats Written Jul 20, 2006

Floating Restaurant 01

If you want to getting away from all of the touristy restaurant in Phuket Town or Patong. I reccomend the Floating Seafood Restaurants, at Leam Hin.

Quite Hard to find the way, but if you start from Phuket Town Heading North passing Raschapath University then Super Cheap for 1 kilometer. There will be a small road off the main Thepkasatree Road on the right had side, with small sideboard say "Leam Hin Seafood Restaurant". That where you have to turn. But since there is no direct exit to that small road. You need to drive 500 meters further to take the u-turn and then turn left to that small road.

Don't worry that you will get lost. Just follow the sign "Leam Hin Seafood Restaurant" to the end of the road where you will find Leam Hin Seafood Restaurant on your left hand side, parking lot on the left and if you go right ahead you will find small wooden peir. That you have to go to. For get the restaurant on your left, it is over price and not as good.

The end of the peir there will be several longtail boats waiting to take passenger to Coconut island. Take one of those boat and tell them to take you to Bang Mud Restaurant. The word Bang is locally used to called male musalim. So when you eat in one of this place there will be no alcoholic beverages of anykind.

There will no need to pay for the boat, the normal fee for passenger to Coconut Island is 20 Bath. But if you going to eat at any of these floating restaurants the owners will pay for the boating service.

There are 5 restaurants in the area but Bang Mud is the Best. The journey is taking about several minutes across the river. The Restaurants are all openair with natural roofing from some type of dry leave. The best time to go is around 6-7 PM. the atmosphere is very cosy and breezy. When you order something they will scoop it up from the storeing net middle of the restaurant. So food is as fresh as it come.

Favorite Dish: I recomend the spicy crab with black peper for those who love spisy food. It not hot but the pepper does its trick a bit.

But whatever you order it will be good because it is very fresh. The owner get their seafoos from local fisherman then store them in the storeing net to keep them alive. And you will get fresh seafood everyday, except days that monsoon come to the area.

Patong Seafood: Great food and nice seting

by johnaalex Written Feb 6, 2006

APtong Seafood

Patong Seafood is one of the oldest restaurants on the Beach Road in Patong. It was badly damaged by the 2004 tsunami, but it is now fully operational and continues to serve good quality food at reasonable prices.

Of course seafood is the main attraction and they have a good range of fresh fish, including live lobsters, crabs and prawns. For a couple of years they did have “Killer Prawns” live in a tank. I am not sure what these things are, but I have included a photo of them with this tip. Each prawn is about 8 inches long. I have not eaten them as, sadly, prawns, lobsters etc can have a bad effect on me irrespective of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dishes are:

Spring Rolls - great taste and freshly cooked

Roast Duck - very tender and lean duck breast

Prawn tempura and Tom Yam Goong (even though it does not agree with me!). The soup is very tasty and spicy so beware!

• Sabai Sabai: Sabai Sabai - affordable local/western food

by picknick Written Apr 2, 2005

This restaurant is a favourite with expats, Patong regulars as well as tourists. They serve excellent Thai and western dishes at very affordable prices. We ate here twice during our short stay in Phuket.

Favorite Dish: Thai dishes like Tom Yum soup, green curry chicken or pork. Western dishes like mixed grill, chicken chop.

Savoey: Fresh Seafoods

by Cielo_Algaeed Updated Jan 27, 2007

Savoey offers a wide selection of seafoods...fish,shrimps,crabs,clams etc name it and they all have it.

The place is usually full during dinner time. Price differs on the size and weight..

Located along the major road of taweewong.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo

"Just a small restaurant owned and run by a local": Beach Restaurant

by junecorlett Written Mar 2, 2009

This is what I love about Thailand.
    We were on the beach at the Chedi Hotel.
    A local family had their own little restaurant on the beach, tucked away in the corner.
    The waitress brought us a menu, we ordered mouth-watering Thai food, and we were called when our table on the beach was ready.
    The waitress also kept us supplied with wonderfully cold beers and soft drinks and ice.

Favorite Dish: I dont remember what it was called. It was a noodle dish with seafood. Mild sweet chilly flavour.

Nong Jam Restaurant.: Nong Jam Restaurant - Great Seafood

by Cathy&Gary Updated Feb 16, 2012

More Food

Nong Jam's would have to be one of Patong's best budget restaurants.

On a previous visit we must have walked past this restaurant 100 times but never thought of going in.

Then one day we ventured in and are we glad we did as its a great little restaurant which has now become a favorite.

Nong James is on the beach side of the road in the Loma Park complex. Just after the laneway leading down to the beach where the jetskis are is a building with lots of tiny restaurants (Loma Park).

Nong James is the middle one, this place is nothing flash, plastic tables and chairs, daggy table settings, but they have great tasty good priced meals.

The staff are lovely and even if you don't go in for a meal, they love to have a chat.
    We ended up having quite a few meals and snacks here, from a simple tuna sandwich to their delicious garlic and pepper prawns (only 250 Baht).

• earthboundfaerie's Profile Photo

Pan Yaah Thai Restaurant: Amazing view of Patong beach at night!!

by earthboundfaerie Written Nov 8, 2006

Pan Yaah from the outside

Was supposed to dine at Baan Rim Pa initially because more than the food, what we wanted was a good view for our last dinner in Phuket. Going to Fantasea one night though, we saw that Baan Rim Pa's view of Patong would be a little more compromised because it's a lot nearer to Patong Beach already. We saw Pan Yaah though a little further along the road and the view from that point was gorgeous!! Getting there for our last dinner, we were just struck by the lovely simpicity of the restaurant. It's such a quaint, lovely restaurant with very helpful staff and the most amazing view of Patong at night. We wanted a table by the balcony so we can enjoy the view better but all the tables there were reserved but we still got a nice table with an equally incredible view. We also noticed that most of their clientele are local so we took that as a good sign. Food was great and a lot more reasonably-priced than Baan Rim Pa. But the best part was the view of Patong and the refreshing sea breeze while eating. So for everyone who wants a gorgeous view plus great food but think Baan Rim Pa is a little too pricey, please go for Pan Yaah. It will not disappoint!!!!!

Favorite Dish: My husband and I shared a set meal of Chicken in Pandan Leaves, Tom Kha Gai, Green Curry, Baked Mussels and Garlic, Crab in Clay Pot with Noodles, Fresh Fruit for dessert plus a few more other things that I forgot. :( All for 650Baht! Very, very reasonable especially since i would've paid that much just for the baked mussels and garlic alone since it was just sooooo good! It's served in this clay pot kind of thing that adds to the appeal of it.

Family Mansion 2: Family Mansion 2 - Fantastic Cheap Food

by Cathy&Gary Updated Oct 20, 2006

Family Mansion

We had never heard of this place until some friends who live in Phuket invited us there for dinner.

Well we will certainly go back again, one of our group was a chef and he said the steak he had there was one of the best he has had.

My curry was also the hottest I’ve ever had.

Fantastic place with cheap prices.

Family Mansion 2 Website

• Beer Tasting

Buffalo Steakhouse: Buffalo Steakhouse

by Cathy&Gary Updated Feb 24, 2009

We have eaten here a couple of times over the years and once again absolutely no complaints.

Meals were delicious and big serves. They also have a free salad bar.

All their beef is imported and their menu has European, Thai & International choices.

Open 09:00 - 24:00 Daily
    Capacity: 100
    Adress:
    Soi Patong Resort Patong Beach Phuket
    Telefon: (076) 340855

Sabai Sabai: Small Cafe - Great Food

by johnaalex Updated Mar 15, 2005

Sabai Sabai

I started eating at this little Thai café about 6 years ago and make a point of returning at least once during my annual trips to Phuket. Sadly this string was broken in January as the restaurant was closed while it was repaired after the tsunami of 26 December 2004. Luckily for me I returned to Phuket with my girlfriend (Jan) in March and as I knew Sabai Sabai had reopened we did not waste much time getting there.

Usually this little place gets very busy and justifiably so. Numbers of tourists are climbing, but still a long way off normal and considering March comes towards the end of “high season” it was not surprising that we did not have the customary wait for a table. The quality of the food is about the only reason you would go to this rather cramped eatery on Soi Post Office in Patong. At busy times you will have to wait in the street and will more than likely end up sharing a table with strangers. But, the food is worth the effort. Thai food is the order of the day. What sets this place apart is the quality and quantity of the meat they use. The satay is a great example of this, thick slices of meat cooked perfectly with a great sauce. All of the dishes are great and can be made as spicy, or otherwise, as you wish.

Between the two us we had 5 small Singha beers, some pork satay, a spicy beef salad, two curry dishes and rice. The quality of all the food was first class, served nice and spicy as we both like, and the portions meant we were full when we left the table having spent less than 700 Baht in total for a very good dining experience.

One further a story that added to the evening: as we were about to leave a pizza delivery bike pulled up at the front of the restaurant. The woman who I think is the owner of the restaurant and mother of at least two waitresses explained that her daughters liked pizza as a change from Thai food. Fair enough I suppose, but the look on the mothers face was disapproving to say the least!

Favorite Dish: My favourites here are the Yam Nua, Thai spicy beef salad, and the satay.

The Pizza Company: Good Food

by Cielo_Algaeed Updated Jan 27, 2007

Pizza Company is located along Bangla Road. It is usually full during dinner, so if you plan to go for a visit and dine make sure to go early.

Interior is nice, friendly staff and location is very accessible.

Favorite Dish: Pizza
    Spicy chicken
    Garlic cheese bread
    All their pasta

Coffee World: Dont Miss their Hot Chocolate & Cheesecake

by Cielo_Algaeed Updated Jan 27, 2007

A great place to have an afternoon coffee..They have a very nice signature coffee plus their white chocolate cheesecake.

So, for those who have sweet tooth and craving for something nice for dessert go for Coffee World

Instant Answers: Phuket

Comments

Phuket Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Phuket restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Phuket sightseeing.