water sports, Phuket

Know about this? Rate It!

calm conditions
    Cruising Nicely!
    Concentrating
  • junecorlett's Profile Photo

Jet-skiing

by junecorlett Updated Jul 23, 2009

4 jet-ski's on the water

This is a great pastime to see the beach and view of the island from the water.
    We hired 4 jet-ski's.
    The cost per half hour is 1400TB (40 US$) per jet-ski.
    A lot of fun.
    My husband took our 5 yr old grandchild on the jet-ski with him, and the rest of us went 2 per ski.
    We stopped off to have a swim in the deep aquamarine water.
    I am waiting for pictures taken with an underwater camera which I will add to this tip.
    The owners of the jet-ski's have no insurance, so it is best to be careful.
    Any damage to their equipment will be for your cost.

You can even stop off to have a snorkel.

Equipment: Life jackets are a must which is provided by the owners. (The locals)
    Keep your watch handy as the time elapses pretty quickly (while you are having fun)

Jet Ski

by imstress Written Jun 21, 2007

Jet Ski

There are lots of Jet Skis for rental along Patong Beach. Prices range from THB500 for 15 mins and THB700 for 30 mins for a small single ski. For the double ski, THB700 for 15mins and THB1000 for 30 mins.

If you don’t have a license to operate you can still hire one where you can be ride with the trainer.

• loisl's Profile Photo

Great dive sites

by loisl Written Aug 25, 2008

Phuket and the surrounding islands offer some great dive sites.
    The reefs and rocks are very lively and colorfull.

I booked my dive trip through Marcia (VT: Quero) from Gekko Divers.
    She was great, organized everything for my, the diving, as well as the excellent accommodation.

Equipment: If you are a scuba diver you know it.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Learn diving

by Myndo Updated Sep 12, 2004

Phuket is an ideal place to learn diving.
    One of the many dive schools will also have a course in your language...

There are also many interesting dive sites around - even the one close to Patong Beach (Paradise bay) was a surprise, so good was it.

First you have one or two days in the pool - getting to know the equipment and emergency procedures - and learning the basics.

Then you will have several trips out in the sea.
    I enjoyed this a lot ( a second time, I already had my licence, but my buddy had't).

Equipment: Diving Equipment is available at the many dive shools in Patong or at other beaches.

We have tried scuba cat in Patong. They were great.

Parasailing

by imstress Written Jun 21, 2007

Parasailing

If you walk along the beach, you will be asked to do lots of water sports. To have an bird's eye view of Patong Beach, you could do Parasailing. The cost of parasailing is at THB700. It will only take you less then 5 mins to get the adrenaline pumping through your whole body.

You will have to put on all your gears and weights. And safety precautions will be checked before you take off from the beach. One of the staff will be “flying” with you to take control of the directions we will be heading. He will also make the landing as smooth and safe as possible.

Banana Boat

by imstress Written Jul 1, 2007

Banana Boat

A Banaba Boat can be hired at Patong Beach for THB300.

It is one of the cheapest and safest water sport on the beach. You will just need to sit on the banana boat and it will be attached to a jet ski and you will be dragged along. So if you find the rest of the water sport to expensive or too dangerous, why not give the banana boat a try?

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Scuba diving

by phil_uk_net Updated Mar 8, 2003

Kata Beach dive shop

Phuket offers some good scuba diving although the dive sites tend to be quite crowded. It is also possible to get trips to the Similans from Phuket but I would recommend going to Khao Lak to do this.

On my last visit to Thailand I returned to Kata Beach to see if the KB dive shop was still there. It was. This was where my interest in diving began. In 1992 I hung around here with a group of divers and did my first resort dive to see what it was like. I later learnt to dive in the UK but returned here in 1996 to do my advanced course. Since then, Kata has become too developed for me so I have ventured away from Phuket to find quieter places.

Alan Rooney, who owns the shop, is a Brit and a really nice guy. If you are in Phuket and want to do some diving I recommend the KB dive shop.

Equipment: Equipment is available to rent if you don't have your own.

• stappm's Profile Photo

Para Sailing

by stappm Updated Dec 10, 2006

We para-sailed from Sing Cape and Surin Beach. They pick you up at Sing Cape but only launch from Surin Beach (more room and the beach is in better position for take-off)

It was a lovely experience and the equipment was new and safe. It was a blast of a good time. We negotiated 1000 BHT per person.... it was high-season. After arriving on Surin Beach and seeing my friend go up, I became apprehensive. But the guys hooked me up and off I went. I was very glad I gave it a try!

• canicus's Profile Photo

Diving in Phuket (Report) Woohoo!

by canicus Updated Nov 16, 2005

Hiya All,

Just got back from Diving in Phuket on 18-22 August. Weather there was cloudy but no
    heavy rains. Joined a German DC(DiveAsia) at Patong for a day trip
    for diving.

Price for 3 Dives and Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner was BHT 2900 and 500 for
    equipment.

Dived at Ko Dok Mai/Ko Bida Nai/Ko Bida Nok. Total Time for trip (8am -8.30pm)

Seas were choppy in the morning but leveled out towards the afternoon.

Visibility for Ko Bida Nai/Ko Bida Nok was about 10-15m and was about
    15 - 20 for Ko Doc Mai.

Vessel was M/V Dive Asia II (23m) had all the amnities needed.(Read
    as "place to take a crap & nap"

Things spotted during this dive trip:
    Huge Phuket Lobster, Moray Eels, Leopard Shark,Lionfish, Grouper,
    assorted other fishies.

Was pleasantly surprised to find such a profusion of marine life
    after the tsunami, ask the DM and he said that it could be due to
    the "new food sources" after the tsunami.(hehehe)

Corals around Ko Bida were slightly damaged but Ko Dok Mai was still
    more or less intact.

Really enjoyed the dives as I had a DM as my buddy and we dived some
    really interesting places (Ko Dok Mai Underwater caves anyone?)

Okay, that's abt it for now. Drop me a line if you want to find out
    more?

Btw, Diveasia is at http://www.diveasia.com/

Who to look for for group bookings or a better deal: Stefan (DM)

Cheers!

Equipment: Standard Gear. BCD regulators and suits were quite new and well maintained.

• National/State Park
    • Spa and Resort

• kelnsha's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving @ Similan & Surin Islands: Liveaboard

by kelnsha Updated Feb 10, 2007

Our liveaboard dive boat - The Really Wicked Witch

Liveaboard is a good opportunity to see manta rays, , frogfish, seahorse, pipefish, octopus, cuttlefish, stingrays, sea snakes, napolean wrasses, scorpionfish, moray eels, jellyfish, nudibranchs and etc...

It saves a lot of time and it is more relax than days trips because you get to do whatever you wish to (eg. eat, sleep, read, suntan, watch VCD/DVD, share diving experiences, log dives, snorkel ant etc) when you are not diving.

If you are lucky, you may even get to see whale sharks and leopard sharks...

Do check out my travelogues for more underwater photograhs...

Equipment: Bring your own dive gears if you have because you know that they will not fail you if you have maintained them properly. In addition, you do not need to worry if you can get the right size or not.

It will be a bonus if you own an underwater camera or videocam. Of course, remember to bring extra batteries, memory cards and chargers.

Do not forget your sunblock lotion if you do not wish to be burnt. Cheers!

• tangomango's Profile Photo

surf by yourself

by tangomango Written Mar 16, 2008

known reef break on Phuket

I have been going to Phuket now for the last 4 years and intend to return again...One of the main reasons why i go to Phuket besides the obvious that it is a gorgeous tropical destination is that Phuket does have good surf(not great but good)and it is possible to surf good waves at my favourite spot alone or with just a few out....

Equipment: I always travel anywhere and everywhere with my boards....It is possible to hire boards in Phuket but if you're fussy like me,then bring your own....Doesn't cost any extra,just a hassle carting your board around.....But you'll be so glad you brought your own trusty board when the waves turn on....

• Surfing

• WSH80's Profile Photo

My First Parasailing!

by WSH80 Written Jul 28, 2007

Parasailing on Sky!

What a nice experience for me! I love it, even though it's only for about 3 minutes (1 small round in the sky) for THB700 (inclusive of tips). It costs THB1,000 for a longer time (bigger round in the sky).

Equipment: I guess just you, and someone to take pictures/videos for you. :-)

• Sailing and Boating

• kenari's Profile Photo

SNorkeling at the Andaman Sea

by kenari Written Jun 21, 2006

Eventhough i quit scuba diving after married but my passion to the undersea world still strong.i bring my family for snorkelling by renting a boat for USD25 for 1 hours to the nearer reef.My daugther only 10 years old but look like she gonna follow my footstep.the reef halfly damaged due to TNUNAMI but the fish ok .A good start for my daughter as she start asking me when we gonna snorkel again .

Equipment: The Snorkel gear available on the boat no need to buy.

• Rodan44's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving Excursion to Ko Racha Yai

by Rodan44 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nemo Found, Ko Racha Yai

In May'05, my wife and I took a daytrip scuba diving excursion from Phuket to Ko Racha Yai, a small island to the south. We used South Siam Divers, who offer a 2 dive package for only 1,900 Baht per person. The dive boat was comfortable and the facilities were adequate. Breakfast and lunch were provided. The divers were broken up into small groups and assigned a dive master. Our dive master was Swedish, and he did a good job. Water visibility off Ko Racha Yai was quite good that day, the coral was relatively healthy, and there was plenty of aquatic life to see. On our second dive we saw a wreck of a small boat. Overall a good experience and good value for money.

Equipment: If you own your own gear, then obviously you should bring it. Otherwise, you can rent a full set of gear from them for only 500 Baht. Definitely bring your own mask and snorkel, fins too if you got em. Bring towels. They will provide motion sickness tablets. Lastly, bring an underwater camera!

The company can provide transfers to and from the pier.

• fidainc's Profile Photo

Snorkelling anyone?

by fidainc Written Feb 21, 2007

Attractive packages will be shoved in your face and you'll be spoilt for choices. Funny enough, in my experience its all the same package everywhere and they almost go to all the same places. But in Phuket the prices are a hell lot steeper. Recommended diving/snorkelling packages to be booked in Krabi instead :)

Hehe... spoiling market for Phuket!

Equipment: If they dun provide the equipment, move on to the next shop

• Aquarium