water sports, Phuket

Know about this? Rate It!

Concentrating
    everybody busy
    calm conditions
  • DONBURGESS's Profile Photo

Fishing is cheap

by DONBURGESS Updated Feb 17, 2006

one that didn't get away

A great way to spend the day with family or freinds is to hire your self a fishing boat for the day, they will pick you from your hotel and drive you to the harbour where you will board a thai fishing vessal for your days fishing.
    Ther eare many diffrent types of boats avavilabe for hire depends on your wants and needs and your budget.
    We had a boat arranged for us by a Thai friend and it was a great day out, they provided us with everything, all meals soft drink water and even the beers.
    We trolled for the best part of the day catching abuot 30 fish for the day, our skipper and deck hand tended to our every need and put us on the fish.

So for a good cheap day out go hire your self a boat and see some more of the islands and catch dinner at the same time.

Equipment: All your fishing gear is supplied but your welcome to bring your own if you like, themeals are good and there's plenty of water and soft drink.
    The fish belong to the skipper but if you want a fish for your self just ask they will gladly give you one or two.

• scubaphoto's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving

by scubaphoto Written Nov 24, 2004

Dive boat

Visibility is very good 20-25 metres. Most of the dive sites are in shallow waters and boat journey times are short. Sea life is rich although we didn't come across many big fish during our dives. Some good wrecks but you will need to be a proficient diver at depth to maximise your bottom time.

Equipment: No real need to bring your own gear, i usually just travel with my own mask, snorkel, knife and fins and rent the rest of the gear when on a backpacking trip.

• Adventure Travel

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Diving

by dragontml Written Dec 8, 2003

One of the major assets of Phuket as a flourishing vacation resort is its abundance of diving destinations both in its vicinity and off islands several hours boat ride away, all offering a fantastic underwater world of tropical fishes and coral formations, so exotic and colorful.

Much more popular are trips to islands lying to the south and east of Phuket about 30 minutes to 2 hours away by motor boat including Coral Island (Ko He) which offers a dive all year round and has very beautiful natural scenery; Ko Racha, which has dives of down to 30 meters; Shark Point, a favorite sleeping spot of leopard sharks and stingrays; Ko Dok Mai which offers an impressive wall dive and a series of cave dives; and Ko Phi Phi where you can see white tip sharks, stingrays and moray eels besides colorful reef fishes.

Truly world class diving sites are located further away including Ko Similan, Ko Surin, Richelieu Rock and Burma Banks. Despite their long distances, tours are organized by some agencies in Phuket regularly during the dry season. All the first three island groups are marine national parks which offer magnificent coral gardens. Burma Banks being the farthest and newest, is in the best condition as a diving site.

There are a lot of dive schools in Phuket, all staffed with qualified instructors who are members of PADI or NAUI, and provided with all sorts of modern equipment.

• PotatoChips's Profile Photo

Finally get to do paragliding!

by PotatoChips Updated Sep 30, 2006

uhmm...umm....*nervous*...

Well, always wanted to do paragliding and it was a fun experience. Although I thought it rather strange to paraglide with a guy above me on the same glide (that dude basically directed the glide while i hang helplessly like a puppet going ooh-ing and ah-ing at the scene below :) ).

I actually went haggling along the beach with Marcus and found one that gave me the price I wanted. There are a lot of people offering the same sports on Phuket beach itself so hangling to save a few bahts wasn't such a bad idea :)

• Adventure Travel

• Golfing in Phuket--try Blue Canyon

by Sammyfloyd Written Apr 7, 2004

I played the Laguna Phuket Golf Club (within the Laguna complex) and the Blue Canyon Lakes course. My suggestion is don't waste your money at the Laguna. The Blue Canyon course is much better. The Lakes course is beautiful even though the Canyon course is more famous (and twice as expensive!). Look for package deals from Blue Canyon itself or from your hotel. Also, you can play an additional 9 holes at twilight rate which is fantastic value. Ask the pro shop.

• beccyandjohn's Profile Photo

scuba diving around phi phi

by beccyandjohn Written Jan 22, 2007

talking about our dive

We went on a 2 day diving trip with santana divers, i did 8 dives also all your food and drink was included , beer you had to pay for, we had acomadtion on phi phi and breakfast at the hotel , very good trip lots to see , my wife whos dosnt dive swam to the beach as in the film, she said it was very nice, ,

Equipment: I took my own regs computer fins mask and hired my bcd wet suit and tanks and weights,

• annase's Profile Photo

Snorking on the shores of Racha Yai island

by annase Updated Jan 28, 2011
    Racha Yai (Bay No 2)

My partner and I went on a snorkeling trip on Racha (or Raya) Yai island. I am good swimming but I hadn't snorkeled before so I didn't know what to expect really. As it turned out, this little day trip was one of the highlights of my holiday! We were looking for trip which would be only for people who wanted to go snorkeling, but were a bit disorganised and decided only the day before that we should go. We therefore ended up going on a trip with a group of scuba divers as we happened to walk past a couple of diving shops. Although we got the trip for half price (1500 bath instead of 3000 bath) since we were not diving and the trip was a load of fun, I think it would have been nicer to go on a speed boat with a bunch of other people who were snorkeling too, since there was only 3 non-scuba divers on board and we were always the last ones in the water and pretty much the first ones out - although I could have stayed in the water for longer.

The tour operator arranged the gear and provided us with a transport to Chalong Bay in the morning (they picked us up from the hotel around 8am), breakfast and lunch on the boat and transport back in the evening around 5pm. The trip to Racha Yai island lasted for about 1h 40min on a boat that can carry scuba diving gear (so very slow compared to a speed boat which would have taken about 40min) and about 30 people on board and on the way we saw lots of huge, rather nasty looking jelly fish which put me of going into the water all together! Luckily, I was told there were no jellyfish where we were going, since the idea of one of them touching me by accident made me cringe.

The surroundings in Racha Yai island were absolutely stunning: the water was very clean and visibility was very good (about 15m or more). There were a lot of fish and they did not shy away and came very close (almost a bit too close for my liking). Apparently divers feed them so they were hoping to get some bread or banana. I'm glad I didn't take any since they were curious enough of us without even having being fed. We saw the most incredible looking, colourful little fish I have only seen on telly before as well as amazingly ugly Titan Trigger Fish, which I thought looked like something I wanted to avoid. Luckily the Trigger Fish didn't come close to me but stayed close to the bottom of the sea bed since it is known to bite divers if you go too close to it during the mating season. Luckily, they usually attack the flippers (due to they being colourful) rather than any other body parts.

The waves on the numbered bays of the island were quite strong though and the guide told us that they had not come there for a few weeks since the waves had been even stronger there.

• Sailing Training In Phuket Thailand,

by amh2304 Written Jan 10, 2013
    Cruising Nicely!

I visited Sail In Asia Ltd in July 2012 to take a 3 week sailing course that would take me from not knowing a thing about boats except which end is the front or 'bow' as i was immediately corrected. The school is located on an amazing quiet sandy beach called Ao Yon. There are about 30 yachts anchored in this quiet little bay. They called it the Zero to Hero Option 3 and at the end of it i got a cool little photo ID card stating that I was sufficiently qualified to charter my own sailing yacht! The school is IYT which I understand is an equivalent to RYA but just not quite as famous. I was on a course with 2 other guys, one from America and one French guy who lived in Hong Kong. The instructors were really great at teaching and made everything easy to digest and fun.

I enjoyed the sailing so much that i decided to take the basic safety training course STCW 95 which every body who works at sea requires in order to get on a ship. This as a more class room based course but we got to play with fire extinguishers and fire engines at the local fire station in Phuket Town and set off life rafts in the ocean which was good fun.

I would definitely recommend this company to any one who wants to learn how to sail or just wants to have a bit of fun on a sailing boat as you get to sail around the south of Phuket and see some really nice islands and quiet beaches. I didn't use them but i also think they had some kayaks and stand up paddle boards for rent.

Thanks a lot.

Equipment: Hat to keep the sun off your head, sunglasses to save your eyes from the glare, sun block, soft shoes like plimsoles and maybe a dry bag to keep your phone and wallet dry althougha plastic bag is probably sufficient.

• Kayaking

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Liveaboards from Phuket

by DSwede Updated Jan 30, 2008
    Harlequin Shrimps

I cannot tell you enough how good the diving is while living on a live aboard for 8 days. I've done it many times before and I'll do it again. The west coast of Thailand has wonderful underwater flora and fauna. We even saw some leopard sharks when we crossed into Burmese waters!

The MV Anggun left from Phuket and dove in Thai waters for a few days. We then stopped in Kawthaung Burma for our entry Visas, then proceeded to dive the Burmese waters for ~6 days. It had plenty of charging stations for photographers as well as general assembly tables for gear. The crew was superb.

• loisl's Profile Photo

Sea Canoe

by loisl Written Aug 27, 2008

Islands

The sea canoeing was a great relaxing activity.
    The cave tunnels and the secluded areas behind are really stunning.
    Also suitable for families with children.

• Kayaking

• jnyvegas's Profile Photo

Jet ski's

by jnyvegas Updated Nov 15, 2004

The rent jet skis on the beach. They are not cheap expect to pay $50. Be very careful, 2 tourists were very badly injured just before we got there.

• shane_02's Profile Photo

Wake Boarding

by shane_02 Updated Nov 16, 2003

Wake Boarding

At the Patong Beach, there offers many water sports activity. This wake boading is 700baht for 3 rounds when I took it in May 2003.

• shane_02's Profile Photo

Para-sailing

by shane_02 Written Nov 16, 2003

Para-sailing

This para-sailing activity can be found at Patong Beach. It costed me 750baht for a 20 minutes ride.

• susu77's Profile Photo

the fast and the furious

by susu77 Updated Oct 26, 2006

2006

Waterjet cant be rented on Patong and Karon but not necesserely on other beaches. Not very cheap but good fun.

• beccyandjohn's Profile Photo

scuba diving around phi phi

by beccyandjohn Written Jan 22, 2007

this is where the food is made

this is our eating part of the boat ,they had some guys from thailand cooking all the meals , they were very good, the food was very nice

Instant Answers: Phuket