Fun things to do in Phuket

by terryphuket
    by euzkadi
    by behnzz

Most Viewed Things to Do in Phuket

Phuket Scuba Club - Diving

by Cathy&Gary Written Jan 16, 2014

Finally after many years of being determined I was not interested in anything to do with diving, mainly due to being scared, I am happy and proud to say I have recently completed my Introduction to Diving course with Phuket Scuba Club.

We did the pool option and our instructor Lauren was fantastic, so patient as it did take awhile with me for all the information to sink in. We were on our knees in the pool practicing breathing etc, how to clear our masks and expelling air without the regulator, then finding it and putting it back on under water etc.

We spent about 2.5 hours in the water and I have to say at one stage I panicked a little bit and was going to get out the pool. But I knew if I did that would be the end and I would never try again so I stuck with it and it turned out to be so much fun. We did not want to get out of the water.

Now Chantal’s goal is to get me diving out at the Karon Reef. I will have a good think about that one ha-ha, but you just never know!

Phuket Scuba Club Phuket Scuba Club Phuket Scuba Club Phuket Scuba Club Phuket Scuba Club

Phuket Scuba Club - Snorkeling

by Cathy&Gary Updated Jan 16, 2014

One day during October I was going to meet Chantal from Phuket Scuba Club for lunch. A couple of hours before that she rang me to say that she was taking a couple of Chinese people snorkeling to teach them how to dive down when snorkeling etc & did I want to come along. Of course I said yes!

Now Chantal knows that I am not a confident swimmer. I have been snorkeling quite a few times but am too scared to dive down for a closer look etc. I am more your float on the top of the water type, mainly because I do not know what to do & I get a bit scared.

I met Chantal at their Karon shop which had just opened due to the fantastic October weather we were having. The shop is on the southern end of Karon Beach, the one with the blue roof! It was a beautiful day & the water was so flat (thank god), all our snorkeling equipment was supplied. It was also good that everything was checked to make sure it fit and was on tight enough etc.

Chantal also put a life jacket on me as she knew I was nervous. The other couple did not want one as they were keen to dive down.

We started out where the huge rock is at the southern end of Karon Beach and started going out, I was amazed that I was already seeing beautiful fish, I do not know one fish from the other, except I did know there were Parrot Fish (have seen these before), there were also hundreds of little fish, which Chantal said were Glass fish and I also saw my first ever Lion Fish.

It was fantastic; I never realized you could even go snorkeling here on Karon Beach! The Chinese couple were like experts within a few minutes, disappearing from sight, me; well I just kept floating around enjoying what I was seeing.

Next trip I will do this again with Chantal – without a life jacket, I am determined to conquer this little fear & if anyone can help me then Chantal is the girl to do it. She has so much patience & is full of knowledge re the area, the marine life, safety etc.

Now normally I have a camera with me no matter where I go, but sadly our waterproof camera sprung a leak, so now I have to do this again next year so I can take photos!

Phuket Scuba Club have 2 shops, their main shop is near the Boathouse at 225 Koktanod Rd Kata Beach. This is where Kevan, Chantal’s husband is based and their second shop is right on the beach at the southern end of Karon Beach.

We have also had many friends do their diving through Phuket Scuba Club and they have nothing but praise for their professionalism, knowledge and friendliness. Thank you Chantal and Kevan for a fantastic time!

• Water Sports

Phuket Sail Tours Speed Boat Tour

by Cathy&Gary Updated Feb 13, 2013

Over the years we have been on many sailing tours with Phuket Sail Tours which have always been at the top of our list of our favorite tours. However their Phang Nga by speedboat is also a fantastic day out and totally different.

Including us there were about 12 people on the tour and there was still plenty of room on the boat.

Some of the highlights of the day were canoeing through a mangrove forest, exploring some lagoons and caves (on foot which is amazing). We went into the Mangrove Hong and the Oyster Cave; once again this is so good with Marks tours as we were the only people there. We also stopped at beautiful Naka Island for swimming and relaxing. There is a lovely beach bar here as well.

The tour also takes you to Koh Panyi which is a Muslim fishing village on stilts over the water. You can explore the village and if you’re interested there is lots of shopping which is very cheap! Everyone is so friendly here and they love to chat with you, it’s also a bit of an eye opener to see how the villagers live etc. (You can do home stays here as well which would be fantastic).

Lunch is on Koh Panyi and it is delicious, the food just keeps coming out, we had soups, chicken dishes, rice dishes, vegetables, omelet’s, whole fish, seafood dishes. You most definitely will not go hungry on this tour. There is also an unlimited supply of food on the speedboat during the day, the famous crunchy chicken wings, Kanom (Thai snacks) which is my favorite treat of sticky rice, banana, black bean wrapped in banana leaf, fresh fruits, cheese & biscuits, plus water & soft drinks.

After lunch we went to a secret place of Mark’s for swimming, it is a beautiful lagoon inside an island. This place was amazing, no one there except us, and it was perfect!

The speed boat tour also goes around Koh Tapu, which is better known as James Bond Island, I have to say that over the years we have never had any interest in going to this place but now I can say we have been and it really is beautiful, actually it is stunning. However it is ruined by the amount of hawkers on the beaches.

So what do we think of Phuket Sail Tours speedboat tour of Phang Nga Bay, well it is equal to his sailing tour, totally different but a fantastic day out and worth every cent! The company was great, the food fantastic, the views are spectacular, everyone enjoyed the tour.

Mark and his team are the perfect hosts, nothing is to much trouble and they go out of their way to make sure everyone has an enjoyable day away from the hordes of big jam packed boats. So if your looking for a great value day out with a small group of people then look up Phuket Sail Tours. They also do Phi Phi Island tours which is another fantastic day out.

Click here for more photos from Phuket Sail Tours Speed Boat tour of Phang Nga Tour

Phang Nga by Speedboat Phuket Sail Tours Phang Nga by Speedboat Phuket Sail Tours Phang Nga by Speedboat Phuket Sail Tours Phang Nga by Speedboat Phuket Sail Tours Phang Nga by Speedboat Phuket Sail Tours
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Sailing and Boating

Phuket Helicopter Tours with HeliThai

by Cathy&Gary Written Feb 9, 2013

Now a lot of people know that I am terrified of flying, I hate planes, even though we do at least 8 flights each trip I need to pop a few pills, it all started from watching Air Crash Investigation years ago, I was addicted to the show, I haven’t watched it for 3 years now but I am still scared!

So what I did next is very weird, Gary and the boys were going on another Harley ride to Krabi and staying the night so I thought what can I do on my own that is different – So I booked in for a 30 minute tour of Phuket – by Helicopter with HeliThai.

I have no idea why I did this and I was only going to do the Joy Ride which was 10-12 minutes but then decided to do the Magical Bays of Phuket which is 30 minutes at a cost of 7,900baht.
    With the tours you can also do the doors of option, so I thought why not, at least the photos will be good. Waiting for this day I was terrified and honestly thought I would not be able to go through with it.

The morning of the tour I am on my own, Gary is in Krabi (he sent a message saying Good Luck) now I am nearly ready to cancel, its 9am so I made myself a good stiff vodka and coke, talked myself into being brave and went down to reception. The pilot (Andreas) picked me up from Swiss Palm and he looked the part – in a nice uniform & all that.

Hopefully he knows what he is doing!

We drive to the Helicopter Pad and there are 2 male passengers from the Indigo Pearl, they are from management and not scared at all! But they did not want their doors taken off. My door and the pilots are then taken off and in the front I go, oh god we have to wear life jackets. Yikes – up we go and that was the end of me.

I absolutely loved the whole experience, instantly I was not scared, the feeling of just sitting there with no door next to me was amazing, I could not stop saying – WOW – it is spectacular seeing Phuket this way.

Really not much more to say as the photos say everything, it was just the most fantastic experience and maybe next trip I will even do their Phang Nga flight which is 50 minutes.

Lots more photos here

Phuket Helicopter Tours with HeliThai Phuket Helicopter Tours with HeliThai Phuket Helicopter Tours with HeliThai Phuket Helicopter Tours with HeliThai Phuket Helicopter Tours with HeliThai
    • Adventure Travel
    • Photography

Warfare Victory Memorial Park Phuket

by Cathy&Gary Written Feb 9, 2013

If you head north on Thepkasattri Road not far from the Heroines Monument roundabout at Thalang there is a sign saying Warfare Museum. Gary and I had been meaning to go there but didn’t get around to it, so Chaya from Phuket Heritage Trails and I went together. Once you turn left off the main road the signs say Warfare Victory Memorial Park.

It is not really a museum but a nice park area with a Temple housing statues of the Heroines, who were two brave sisters Chan and Mook who helped defeat the Burmese army in 1785.

There are often festivals held in this park with the biggest being in March for the Phuket Heroines Festival which attracts thousands of visitors.

Warfare Victory Memorial Park Phuket Warfare Victory Memorial Park Phuket Warfare Victory Memorial Park Phuket Warfare Victory Memorial Park Phuket Warfare Victory Memorial Park Phuket
    • Museum Visits
    • Photography

Wat Prathong - Phuket

by Cathy&Gary Written Feb 9, 2013

About 20 kilometers north of Phuket Town is Wat Prathong, this Temple might not be as spectacular as Wat Chalong but it has a fantastic story and is an extremely important temple in Phuket, it is also empty of tourists. Inside the Temple is the upper half of a large Buddha statue that emerges from the ground.

Legend has it that during the Burmese invasion they tried to dig out the Buddha, but every time they tried swarms of hornets would swoop down on them so they gave up. Many years later the Thai people covered the statue in gold and that is how it has remained. I bought some beautiful Buddha’s here; it was quite funny as the Monk who sold them to me was very impressed with a Buddha I was wearing from Nan Province.

There is also a large museum that has everything you could possible think of, old shoes, typewriters, beds, televisions etc. It really is interesting but no photos are allowed inside the museum. I think Wat Prathong is definitely worth visiting and I went there as part of my day out with Chaya from Phuket Heritage Trails.

Wat Prathong - Phuket Wat Prathong - Phuket Wat Prathong - Phuket Wat Prathong - Phuket Wat Prathong - Phuket
    • Architecture

Wat Khun Chee - Buddhist Nuns Monastery Phuket

by Cathy&Gary Written Feb 9, 2013

Wat Khun Chee which is a Buddhist Nuns Monastery, Meditation Retreat Centre and a training Monastery for lay women & nuns in the Thervada Buddhist tradition.

It is a beautiful peaceful place which has been used by the nuns since 1924 and offers a peaceful monastic life and facilities for female guests to stay and practice with the resident nuns in a serene monastic atmosphere.

One nun who made a lasting impression on me is in her late eighties, but she is such a character, we had many photos taken together and she made us tea from flowers she collects then crushes. She said she wants copies of the photos I took of her.

Then she went back into her room, came out and gave me a plastic hospital medicine bag, it was full of the crushed flowers, she wanted me to have it so I could make tea each day. So wonderful and I will be back next trip to visit her with copies of our photos.

Visiting guests are required to follow the daily routines of the resident nuns and join in with all communal meetings and work activities. To visit the monastery or any inquiries, email Chaya from Phuket Heritage Trails: kritchaya.nt@gmail.com

Wat Khun Chee - Buddhist Nuns Monastery Phuket Wat Khun Chee - Buddhist Nuns Monastery Phuket Wat Khun Chee - Buddhist Nuns Monastery Phuket Wat Khun Chee - Buddhist Nuns Monastery Phuket Wat Khun Chee - Buddhist Nuns Monastery Phuket

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

Visit the Big Buddha

by johnaalex Written Jan 29, 2013

One of the newer sights on the island is a massive marble Buddha situated on one of the highest hills for a commanding view of the island. The statue is actually a wooden frame clad with marble, but an impressive sight nonetheless.

At the base of the statue is a large tented area where monks go about their daily business, you can see details of how the buddha was built and donate money to the cause.

A very big Buddha Monks at work 1 Monks at work 2 Monks at work 3 Monks at work 4

• Nidnida's Profile Photo

swimming, snorkling, diving

by Nidnida Written Jan 20, 2013

Nok Air dont have direct fligth to Koh Samui, but they will transfer their passengers from surattani (nakhorn si Thammarat) by coach to Laem thuat pier and will be continued by high speed catamaran to Nathorn pier in Koh samui, I did this on August 2012.

Khai Nok Island: Swimming and Snorkeliing

by machomikemd Updated Nov 2, 2012

part two of my khai nok islands tip with pictures of swimming and snorkelling with the fishes.

The Khai Island group of 3 islands (Khai Nok, Khai Nui and Khai Nai island) is a popular snorkelling and swimming destination in itself and there are half day and full day tours to the Khai islands from Chalong Pier Everyday but Khai Nok Island receives the lion's share of the tourists as it is the largest of the three Islands and it has the largest white sand bar that connects this dumb bell shaped island that has rows and rows of beach bunk beds and unbrellas for the thousands of day tourists coming to this island. Khai Nok Island gets the lions share because almost all of the Phi Phi Island and Krabi Islands Speed Boat Tours have a pit stop here for 1 to 2 hours where the guests can relax at the beach bunk beds (you have to pay 100 baht extra for a pair of bunk beds) and have free fresh fruits like watermelons, dragon fruits, papaya, pineapple. there is also some beach bars along the sand bar that you can have assorted brewskies and soft drinks and alco pops like vodka cruiser and bacardi breezer for 120 baht a pop.

Khai nok island also has clear green waters where you can swim and snorkel and be with the fishes as the fishes here are friendly and you can feed them bread too. just be careful of the strong undercurrents at the shoreline. the sands is is powdery white.

Khai Nok island is 20 minutes by speed boat from chalong pier and is part of Pha Nga Province.

clear green waters clear even under water yes with the fishes underwater shot
    • Fishing

Khai Nok Island

by machomikemd Written Nov 2, 2012

This will be a two part tip of Khai Nok island with more pictures.

pose in the army of beach bunk beds nice views the view beach bar
    • Beer Tasting

At Hill Monkey Show (2)

by machomikemd Updated Nov 1, 2012

Part two of my monkey show tips with more pictures (see my videos too)

This Monkey Show is located in the road going to the Chalong Buddha and it features monkey show lasting for about 30 minutes. Entrance Fee to the monkey show is 500 baht (monkey shows in Bangkok only costs 300 baht) and you can pose with the pig tailed macaque monkeys for free or buy the souvenir plate with your picture in it with the monket for 100 baht.

At the monkey show, the monkeys to many things like harvesting coconuts at the tree, swimming in a small pool, weight lifting, basketball, simple arithmetic with you choosing numbers from 1 to then and the monkey getting the number you chose and riding a bicycle.

Monkey Show opens at 9:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday

the souvenir plate monkey harvesting coconuts monkey riding a bike pose monkey weightlifting
    • Safari
    • Zoo

At Hill Monkey Show (1)

by machomikemd Updated Nov 1, 2012

This will be a two part tip with more pictures

Monkey Show opens at 9:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday

pose ticket booth ticket inside thank you
    • Zoo
    • Safari

Sri Bhurapa Orchid Cashew Nut Factory

by machomikemd Written Oct 31, 2012

When you are on a half day or whole day city tour, included in the Package is a visit to a cashew nut factory as southern thailand is famous for it's large plantations of cashew nuts and there are a few cashew nut factories in Phuket and one of the biggest is the Sri Bhurapa Cashew Nut Factory at the outskirts of Phuket Town. I will have a different shopping tips on their store.

The Cashew nut factory shows you how they harvest cashew nuts using th old traditional style (but they have a larger machine operated modern area for harvesting commercial quantities of cashew nuts). They also don't throw away the cashew fruit but instead they process it into cashew juice (has a slightly bitter taste) and let you have a free taste of the cashew juice and assorted cashew nuts flavored with an assortment of things like honey, nougat, pad thai taste, chili taste, barbecue style cashew nuts and more.

Opens: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm everyday

outside memorial the old cashew separating machine separating the cashew nuts cashew juice

Karon Viewpoint

by machomikemd Updated Oct 31, 2012

The Karon Viewpoint (others will call it Kata Viewpoint) is the most photographed area of Phuket and is the main stop of the phuket city tours (half day and full day). It is located at a top of a hill in Route 4223 Road, Located between Nai Harn and Kata Noi beaches, going south and is about a 30 minute drive from patong and 10 minute drive from Kata Yai Beach. This view point offers wonderful and panoramic views of the Andaman Sea and the Panoramic Views of Kata Noi, Kata Yai and Karon Beaches (you can take a picture each beach if you have a powerful ultrazoom camera like a canon powershot sx 40 or Nikon Cool Pix 810). and Koh Pu Island. It is called locally ‘Khao Saam Haad’ (Three Beaches Hill).

Admission is Free.

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Baan Krating Jungle Beach
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews

Instant Answers: Phuket

Comments

Phuket Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Phuket locals.
Map of Phuket