Zoo, Phuket

1.5 out of 5 stars 1.5 Stars - 7 Reviews

• This is part of the fantastic elephant show
    This is part of the fantastic elephant...
    Jom at the entrance to the Aquarium
    by austarman
    Part of the garden at the zoo.
  • shane_02's Profile Photo

by shane_02 Updated Oct 5, 2005

Phuket Zoo

Amazingly well-trained elephants that surely entertain visitors who take time to visit the zoo. The large creatures perform a number of shows that will undoubtedly impress onlookers. Tourists can watch also watch performance and shows at the zoo. Aside from the elephants, there are crocodiles, monkey, ostriches, tigers, snakes and many other kinds of animals that can be seen. An underwater world is also open for viewing. A photo session with an orang hutan or tiger is also possible.

The zoo is open daily from 8.30am - 6pm.

Monkey Shows: 9am, 12pm, 2.30pm,4.45pm
    Crocodile Shows: 9.45am, 12.45pm, 3.15pm, 5.30pm
    Elephant shows: 10.30am, 1.30pm, 4.00pm
    (Note: show timing may varies according to tourist season)

Orchid Garden, Buttefly Garden, Aquarium opening time: 9.00am - 5.30pm

• Theme Park Trips

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

by Tina-Perth Updated Apr 4, 2011

An unhappy tiger.

The Phuket Zoo, whilst not great for the animals as it is still very sub-standard, can be a great few hours out for children. It could be a good way to teach kids about how animals should NOT be kept.

There are monkey, elephant and crocodile shows.
    SHOW TIMES:
    Monkey Show: 9:00am, 12:00am, 2:30pm, 4:45pm
    Crocodile Show: 9:30am, 12:45am, 3:15pm, 5:30pm
    Elephant Show: 10:30am, 1:30pm, 4:00pm
    Butterfly Garden: 9:00am - 17:30pm
    The zoo is open 7 days from 8:30am - 6:00pm

Entry fee for adults is 500 baht

I guess I'm adding this as a thing to do tip because many people like to go to zoos, but I find it very upsetting myself. I went for a second visit this week to see if there had been any improvements. There were, but only slightly and a few. I think they may have found out about my pictures and comments about the zoo on the internet, just under their listing.

I don't know whether to encourage or discourage people from visiting, as the animals may suffer even more if the money dries up.

• Phuket Zoo

by ah_bian Written Dec 26, 2006

For those who intend to visit the Phuket Zoo, please reconsider. My friend and I were horrified at the living conditions of the animals.

Many of the animals were pacing up and down their cages in fixed patterns (which I believe is a sign of stress), the aquatic animals are kept in algae-filled ponds that you can smell before actually seeing it; it seemed that most animals, regardless of species, are fed with bananas. The last straw was when we saw a rotting chicken head in the otter's enclosure.

The entrance fee of 500BTH is plainly exorbitant, I suggest you donate it to other conservation efforts if you are really keen in helping animals.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

by Cathy&Gary Updated Feb 22, 2009

We have been to Phuket 9 times over the last 14 years and had never been to the Phuket Zoo. There have been a lot of bad reports on various forums re this zoo but I thought its time I went and made up my own mind.

To be honest the zoo has many good points and many bad points. It reminds me of the way zoo's use to be in Australia 20 years ago. (Though Adelaide zoo still has some pretty sad areas today and I'm sure there are still other zoos across Australia that are not up to scratch).

I can totally understand why children would love the place and hope the photos will help people make up their minds whether they should go or not.

The bird aviaries are a decent size, clean and the birds had seed, corn etc. Some cages could have done with a bit of greenery but that’s about it.

All the animals seemed well fed, the cages and enclosures were clean, the grounds are very beautiful and there is plenty of shady areas and drink stops.

Drink prices were 60baht for a Singha and 20baht for a can of soft drink. If you intend having lunch there is not much choice, tuna and salad sandwich for 80baht and French fries 60baht.

That's it, there was nothing else available

Some of the bad points are the monkeys, gibbons and tigers in small cages. The leopard cage was very small and he is right next to an enclosure of deer. What torment both animals must go through.

There is a huge tiger on display for photos, I did not have a photo taken with him, only because I was not interested but lots of people are. Is it wrong, I don’t know and I’m not going to judge people who do this, you can have photos with animals in Australia so really no difference.

There are loads of crocodiles there (way to many for a zoo - maybe they are being farmed for their skins!!)

So there, that’s it, I’m still a bit confused about what I think of this zoo but it could be fantastic with a few improvements.

Entry fee for an adult is 500baht which is quite expensive and far more than a local has to pay!. When you first go in they take your photo and the sign says that the photo will cost 200baht, however when we left we were only charged 150baht.

There are various monkey, elephant and crocodile shows throughout the day and also a small aquarium which could do with a good cleanout as it was discusting.

Lots more Zoo Photos here,

• susu77's Profile Photo

by susu77 Written Oct 23, 2006

I wasnt sure if I wanted to go there cause I had heard some bad things about how they keep the animals. But on our second trip we did go and Im not sorry we did. Things could have been better for the animals but everything seemed to be quite okay. Maybe in this case its better to support the zoo and buy the entrance ticket.
    Aquarium there was cool and elephant show was classy.

• Phuket Zoo

by DebbieUK Written Sep 22, 2005

My husband and I returned from an amazing holiday in Thailand, just two days ago. Everything was perfect . . . except for Phuket zoo. We have visited many great zoos in different parts of the world, but have never seen anything as cruel as this. The crocodiles were laid in about 6 inches of water in the scorching sun. The monkeys were in mesh cages with only a tyre hanging from the roof - a concrete floor, no trees, no visible food, no greenery, nowhere to hide. The elephants were chained to the floor - it couldn't have been longer than a couple of feet long and was attached to a foot, the elephant was desperately trying to move around. There was a huge, beautiful tiger on a small podium, where tourists could have their photo taken next to it - again with a very small ( and thin ) chain tying it down. It's eyes were closed - it must have been drugged as it could have quite easily snapped the chain - and the keepers kept swatting it to make it open it's eyes. The elephant 'show' was demeaning and cruel, the animals were pushed and pulled into doing the 'tricks'. We thought the monkey show may be better but the monkeys were lead onto a stage with leashes around their necks looking absolutely terrified. They are so clearly trained with fear. We actually walked out of the monkey show and went to wait for our taxi (two hours) which was far preferable to seeing any more of the horrible zoo. I refused to take any photos while inside, and I would very strongly recommend avoiding this awful place.

• austarman's Profile Photo

Visit Phuket Zoo

by austarman Updated Jul 7, 2008

Jom at the entrance to the Aquarium

Phuket Zoo is a great place to go for a day away from the pace of Patong.
    Its a cool and quiet place with great shady gardens and plenty of animals to check out as well.
    They have a big Aquarium and animal shows daily as well as plenty of places to eat and drink.

Daily Shows
    Monkey Shows : 09.00, 12.00, 14.30 and 16.45 hrs.
    Crocodile Shows : 09.45, 12.45, 15.15 and 17.30 hrs.
    Elephant Shows : 10.30, 13.30 and 16.00 hrs.

Instant Answers: Phuket