Tourist Attractions in Phuket

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Phuket

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Credit Cards

by Tina-Perth Updated Jun 21, 2006

As credit card fraud becomes increasingly bad, be ultra-vigilant in Asian countries. Thailand is well known for it. Even though you may take precautions such as not letting your credit card out of your sight, it is not enough. Once they have the imprint of your details, you are at risk.

We observed all the rules about credit cards in Thailand and we're not sure how, but someone managed to make a number of withdrawals from our account adding up to $6,000. It may have been that they accessed our account details whilst we were using wireless internet to check account balances and transfer money. The money was taken out in the UK. I have heard of many people with the same problems recently. You must check your account for a few months following your visit as the withdrawals have happened as long as 3 months after the visit.

Unique Suggestions: My advice to anyone is to withdraw cash at an ATM (with caution) and use that. Do not use your credit card for general transactions.

We found that although you are supposed to be able to withdraw 40,000 baht per day, we could only get 20,000 in a transaction.

Fun Alternatives: Perhaps the wisest choice is to take as much cash with you as you can and keep it safely on your person.

• Business Travel

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

Buying drinking water

by jenniferchin Written Jan 4, 2004

Everytime I go out to buy drinking water in Thailand, I get a bottle for 10 bhat. I was getting used to this price until I went to the local 7-11. It was only 5 bhat there.

Granted, there is not much difference in price and this does not really warrant as a *Tourist Trap* but I guess that if one is actually in dire straits, then it makes a difference, no ?

• imstress's Profile Photo

Join Minibus

by imstress Written Jun 21, 2007

One of the cheapest mode of transportation from Airport to Patong Beach is to take the join minibus. Tickets are priced at THB150 and can be purchased at the counter upon exit of the arrival hall. You may also pay direct to the driver who will make purchase of the tickets on your behalf. The mini bus will depart when they have 10 passengers. Turn to your left and you will see a mini bus signage.

Although the price of THB150 is cheap compared to the price of a taxi, I would caution those in a hurry to pay the extra THB to have your own taxi to bring you direct to your destination. I would consider taking the join minibus as a tourist trap as they don’t even ask us where we were all going when we board.

Finally, we were all driven to a travel agent company where they gave an excuse that there were so many of us and need to check our tickets and make some rearrangements. So we were all asked to seat at the desk. The staff asked where we are going and have we booked our accommodations and tours. He tried to sell us accommodation and tour packages and we gave them the we are not interested look. We wasted half an hour of our time here where we have to wait for the rest to be brainwashed. Surprisingly, the rest were local Thais and they all signed up their packages either for tour or accommodations. Probably they were given locals prices.

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Modern Style Limited Tailor

by Mahieu Updated May 25, 2004

In Phuket there are a lot of tailors ready to make you a nice suit for a very cheap price. And no doubt, there are some honest and good working people amongst them.
    But if you decide to go to "Modern Style Limited", then don't. They are situated at Patong Beach, on Bangla Rd, Viking Corner. They promised to make us a shirt with a text upon it that we had chosen. When we came to pick it up, they told us that we should wait for another 2 hours, because it wasn't ready yet. Ok, that can happen, so we waited. When we got back, it still wasn't ready. We couldn't wait any longer and we asked to see the result so far. Briefly, nothing had been done!!! Luckily, we didn't pay yet.
    We decided to go to another tailor in Hua Hin and this time everything was done as asked!

Unique Suggestions: Difficult to tell if someone is honest or not. Anyway, put it perfectly clear that, if the result isn't like it should be, you won't pay.

And if you have the opportunity, go to Bangkok to have a suit made. Better quality and prices!

• stiab3's Profile Photo

The downside of James Bond Island

by stiab3 Written Jan 25, 2005

Khao Ping Gan is not really an island but a rock. You visit a nearby island where there is lots of souvenir sellers hassling you to buy things.

It's also usually very crowded . . . with people by the boat load.

Unique Suggestions: Do a day tour of Phang Nga Bay. Then you'll see that James Bond Island is only a small, and not even spectacular, part of the area.

• Beaches

• hash09's Profile Photo

Cheap, but its not cheap as you think of

by hash09 Written Apr 26, 2006

This places are a tourist area and all the hookers would like to get extra money from 1st timer tourist like me. As i thought all the thing over patong area will be cheaper, but i was wrong about it. Eg. a simple sandle same as in malaysia i can get at RM6 which is THB50 only, but when i get there, i was asking for the sandle and they gave me price at THB220 which is RM20. The sim card in malaysia you can get at THB100 only (for those who can speak thai) and me i get it at THB400 with THB50 free credit.

This all has been tought by my friend who live there for 9 months, according to him, for those who cannot speak thai at all, they will giving you a double price or even more than what they offer to the local. And if you can speak little thai, says at the average, you have middle low price and if you are a thai or can speak excellent thai, you can get even lower price as local can get.

Other than that, if you deal with a tourist agency, my advice to you is, better check at many tourist agency as you can and believed me, you can get a prices at far different range from each places you went. That is my experience, i finished a lots of money because of this trap.

Fun Alternatives: Learn at least a little thai or get a friends who can speak thai and ask them to company you when you do shopping, at least you can make different for the prices.

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Time Share

by Cathy&Gary Updated Oct 2, 2006

Unless you are going to Phuket to buy a Timeshare, just beware of the couples on motos who pull up and ask if you speak English (most of the time they are English themselves, though can be any nationalities).

They won't tell you that they are anything to do with timeshare, sometimes they say its a survey, or they will give you a scratchie card (and of course you will win something).

The main aim is to get your contact details and the name of your hotel etc so you can then be contacted to attend the hard sell presentation etc.

We just say to them as soon as they pull up, we dont speak English, smile and keep walking haha.

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Security

by Tina-Perth Updated Jul 8, 2007

I wasn't sure on previous occasions I stayed in Phuket whether I had lost some money or whether I'd spent it without noticing. The last time I was sure I'd had money stolen by the housekeeper, as I set her up after I became suspicious and caught her. It also appears that she or her young daughter who she would bring to work on a Saturday took my Prada sunglasses.

Friends of ours stayed at the Diamond Cliff Resort, they had a pair of Armani sunglasses disappear from their room, along with at least AUD$100. The $100 note was stolen from the daughter's purse while the family were at the pool. The parents aren't sure whether they had any go missing or not as they didn't check.

Unique Suggestions: Do not leave your valuables anywhere they are accessible even while you are in the apartment/suite. The money I had stolen was taken while I was upstairs and the maid was downstairs.

• xaver's Profile Photo

Stop asking for sex while having a Thai massage

by xaver Written Apr 8, 2009

Phuket and specially Patong beach is one of the places on earth where it's easier to have sex if you want to.Now i wonder why people must ask or accept sexual performances while having Thai massage.I write this because I could not find one and I repeat one Thai massage place in Patong where the girl did not stress you offering sexual services.10 years ago when you asked for a Thai massage you could simply lay down and relax while the lady stretched all your muscles.Now you practically spend most of time refusing her offers and for sure you do not get out relaxed.

Unique Suggestions: When the firl asks you to get naked, tell her you want to keep your underwear on and try to make it clear that you only want a Thai massage.

Fun Alternatives: As can see from the pic, I started to ask to wear a massage suite in order to let the masseu understand I was there fr a massage only.Did it work? No Way, as I said I got offered sex in any massage I went.

• Singles

• icyjo24's Profile Photo

Beware of Agency Rip-offs - Day Trips from Phuket

by icyjo24 Written Dec 28, 2005

When I took the minibus service from Phuket International Airport, the minibus driver stopped at this tour agency on the pretext of saying we have to stopped there to confirm the location of our dropoff points and to check tickets and some other crap. Actually its a trap to get tourists to sign up for day trips at higher prices at the agency and the driver will get commission from this. The advertised price for a day trip to the Phi Phi Islands will be something like 2800 baht but they will tell you that they are giving you a 35% discount and the cost will be around 1700 to 1800 baht. This is a trap. The prices quoted is still high as compared to what you will get if you shop around the travel agencies selling exactly the same tour near the main beaches. I jolly well know of such traps but fell for it again, perhaps because it was an early morning flight and I didn't sleep for the previous night. Luckily we just signed up for one day trip. It cost 1700 baht and the first quote we got from an agency near our guesthouse was 1500 baht for the same tour with the same brochure!

• STRATOS79's Profile Photo

BAR BILLS

by STRATOS79 Updated Mar 26, 2007

When you go to a bar it is wise to see the prices first because not all bars have the same ones,and if you want to drink a few more drinks maybe a good idea to check your bill because sometimes 2-3 drinks are charge to you without you know anything

• Water Sports!!

by shalin Updated Oct 19, 2002

Water Sports at Patong have actually been WARNED against in the hotel manuals-we mocked them at first, and haha the last laugh was on us!!!!
    What happened was that we took the water scooters for an hour (did NOT check them as supposed to before taking them out) and came back like 5 mins past the hour-we were regular customers and were promised the extra 5 mins (oh yeah-IT IS A BIG DEAL!)
    So anyway, these guys come running n yelling down at the beach (super rudely!) and find some paint mark on one of the scooters since they couldnt catch us about the time..end result-a ruined last day in Phuket, haggling with these dudes, meeting the cops and blah

Unique Suggestions: Please check the scooters in advance!!!!
    And be wary anyway! We were told this happens often-and everyones in league with everyone!

• icyjo24's Profile Photo

Online booking of accommodation

by icyjo24 Updated Dec 28, 2005

I book online for a guesthouse known as the Beshert Guesthouse and Hostel which is about 5 minutes walk to Karon Beach. The prices seem too good to be true, 200 baht per person for a twin room, which is supposedly at the guesthouse. When we arrived at the guesthouse, the person pointed us to the Beshert Hostel which is on a building behind. Both are under the same owner. The room we were given was a single room which they allow for twin sharing at the price we paid. We try to argue with her but she don't really understand English but I manage to understand her Thai Language and she said we could talk to her boss and change room at a later time. We were quite angry at first but we manage to upgrade to the twin room for 600 baht in total but we lost our 10% online booking fee. So be careful when you book online. I also wouldn't recommend this place as it can get noisy at night with the people getting drunk and screaming at the bar in the ground level. This place is only 3 to 4 storeys high.

• Beaches

• sweetie_inc's Profile Photo

Got Cheated (Part III)

by sweetie_inc Updated Jul 16, 2006

I wanted to avoid the crowd at Patong Beach that I decided to go to Karon Beach for water sports..

There were only 3 man in-charge of the jet-ski & parasailing on the beach.. We were quoted TB1500 for parasailing and TB1200 for jet-ski which of course the price was unreasonable.. I was told that jet-ski would cost me TB700 at most so we tried to bargain...

When we asked for TB800, the guy was so rude and told us, "If you want take, if not don't take".. There were no bargaining at all!! I was shocked and because I wanted to ride the jet-ski so much, I paid that price, thinking that it could be due to inflation that's why the price increased so much.. And because it was too expensive, I didn't want to take the parasailing....

Later I found out that another VT whom I met there got offered TB500 for the jet-ski in Patong Beach.... What a *** I was!!

Unique Suggestions: If you want to play water sports, go to Patong Beach, and try not to go other beaches..
    And remember to bargain!!!

Remember that jet-ski won't cost you more than TB700....

• lindyz's Profile Photo

ATM withdrawals come with a 150bt fee

by lindyz Updated Oct 4, 2010

I only used an ATM in Patong twice, but both times were at differenct Banks and both times I was hit with a 150bt fee. Im not entirely sure if this is the case with all ATMs but just be aware of it and therefore make the largest withdrawals you possibly can, I think the biggest possible withdrawal at one time was 5000bt. But still I guess a $5 fee to quickly and easily access your money while overseas is not too bad.

Phuket Hotels

Aloha Villa Phuket
CC Bloom's Hotel Phuket
Latest: Apr 5, 2014

Instant Answers: Phuket

Comments

Phuket Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Phuket locals.
Map of Phuket