Renting Cars and Drivers, Phuket

Know about this? Rate It!

My Sydny's Toyota Forerunner
    by sritamh
  • junecorlett's Profile Photo

Toyota Quantum

by junecorlett Written Jul 22, 2009

We rented a Toyota Quantum which seats 11 people. Full aircon with a DVD player for the children.
    We needed to take the family (of 10) on a tour of Phuket.

Master Car Rental situated at the Hilton Hotel Karon Beach were able to help us.

You will need a copy of your Passport, Drivers licence and a credit card guarantee. The deposit was B20 000 ( about 500 US$). The total cost for the day was about 60 US$

When calling from within Thailand; 076 396 038

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo

Airport Transfers - Meter Taxi's

by Cathy&Gary Written Mar 18, 2009

If you do not have transfers organized through your hotel or travel agent, then I would recommend taking a Meter Taxi.

As you come out of the terminal doors you will be swamped by touts asking if you need a taxi.

(These touts use silver taxis with no meters)

Just ignore them, turn right and walk down, you will see the taxi booth.

You tell the person manning the booth where you want to go and he will issue you a receipt and let you know your driver.

These meter taxis are yellow and red.

There is a surcharge for taxis leaving the airport, the taxis are trying to run a legitimate business and need our support.

Average prices to Patong are 400 - 450 baht.

If you want to book a private driver for your hotel transfers there are some recommended drivers on the link below.

Cathy and Garys Travel Pages

• Business Travel

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

A good driver

by johnaalex Written Feb 19, 2009

I suggest you contact a driver I used on my last trip. His name is Mai, his phone number is +6641 134 809 and his e-mail is hknuch@hotmail.com.

He charged me 600 THB for airport transfer to Patong and is a good driver.

Regards

John

• Luxury Travel

• bulldogtwo's Profile Photo

Phuket car rentel

by bulldogtwo Written Aug 9, 2008

Not sure about a jeep specifically, but here is a couple of sites that you can check out. A couple of the better ones that I found.
    www.thailand-carrental.com
    www.thaifocus.com/carhire/index
    rates seem to be pretty reasonable and what I also like about them is that it included insurance in the price.
    Good luck
    I would be interested to hear back from you as to how it went and if there were any problems.
    Good luck and have fun!

• Recommended Driver in Phuket

by biaoism Written Aug 9, 2008

I contacted Kom (kom99@hotmail.com; 083-1720862) a couple days ago to book him for a day tour around Phuket.

From 9.30am to 8pm, he drove us around and waited for us wherever we stopped. He also made many good recommendations for activities and shows at good prices, but unfortunately we had too little time to take up any of those.

Kom had an ice box with water and coke in his car boot for us to drink, free of charge. He bought a local snack for us to taste too. Upon knowing I have an ulcer in my mouth, he also paid out of his own pocket to buy me a medicated gel.

He also brought along his own digital camera and took photos and videos of us, then sending it by email to me.

He also brought us to local food places to sample authentic and affordable Thai cuisine. As Sylvia had mentioned, he speaks very good english and has a pocket translator in the rare even that he has to translate something.

This is exceptional service - I have several regular drivers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and none of them have ever offered anything more than driving and answering questions.

Above all, Kom charges a very competitive price for his services, and has a very pleasant disposition even though he had to do overtime (11+ hours).

We highly recommend him as a driver in Phuket. It would be good if you let him know where you would like to go in advance, so that he can plan an optimal route and make recommendations for activities.

• simcard's Profile Photo

Definitely rent a car for at least one day

by simcard Written Apr 14, 2008

We rented a honda jazz on our last day as we had to check out early while our flight didn't leave until midnight. We paid 1000THB including insurance for that and it was worth of everything! We rented the car right on the street by the beach. The car was very clean and in good shape. We ended up driving around the whole island, got to see the other beaches, went downtown phuket, had our romantic sunset dinner at Promthep Cape.

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Private Driver

by Tina-Perth Updated Feb 25, 2008

The new car, seats 7.

Whenever we are in Phuket we use the services of a driver who has a clean, air-conditioned car which can seat up to 8 passengers (at a squeeze - 4 is best). He is prompt, reliable and speaks English well. He helps us with everything you can think of, from great meals at the most incredibly cheap prices to picking up things for us, picks up and drops off our laundry which he gets done at bargain prices, shopping on our behalf to give us new tastes and experiences at the markets or festivals. He also gets us 'Thai prices' when we're out shopping.

He is friendly, fun and incredibly helpful. Having him makes Phuket like a second home for us because we have easy access to anything at any time with local knowledge.

Mai is available for airport transfers at a quoted price, but usually 600 baht, then usually 1,500 baht per day, as fuel costs have risen and he now drives a large commuter van. Longer distances may incur a little extra, but Mai will give you a price up front.

Mai's wife, Nuch (pronounced Nooch) has an email address which she checks every few days. It is listed below. I will include her telephone number as well, as she takes the bookings. If you call Thailand, be prepared to hear a beeping sound, the phone does not make a ringing sound that you are probably familiar with. It does not mean the phone is disconnected or engaged, just hang on.

Mai now has two vehicles, as he has purchased a minibus which can seat 11-12 passengers so he can accommodate group bookings or smaller ones.

Please note the change of email address, the other account no longer works.

• Business Travel

• euli's Profile Photo

Rent Car will Travel Freely

by euli Updated Feb 14, 2008

Rented a Honda Jazz for about 1300bht per day (including insurance and excess). Great to have especially since I have a toddler travelling with my husband and I. Could go from where we stayed in Kamala Beach to many shopping trips in town, Carrefour, Jung Cylone shopping centre, phuket fantasea, etc

• MilKy83's Profile Photo

Renting a VIP high-roof van with a driver

by MilKy83 Updated Dec 6, 2007

I m very satisfied wit the van and driver provided by Smart World Travel agent during my travel to Phuket! The service provided is not only cheap but also reliable. I found tis travel agent thru the internet n Mr. Ekkawit sent me the quotation. I sent him our itinerary n he oso offered to help us to book for shows like Phuket Fantasea and Simon Cabaret wit discount and even gv us VIP seats for the shows.
    3 days: 5500 baht with driver (until midnight with no extra charges)
    We pd for the fuel: 1000 baht
    Jus tell Ekkawit tat Kimberly highly recommended Smart World Travel Agent if u wish to get their service. MSN messenger: ekmatsha@hotmail.com

• Seniors

• WSH80's Profile Photo

Car Rental - Thai Car Rent & Tours

by WSH80 Updated Sep 4, 2007

Toyota Avanza (7-seater)

Driving in Phuket is not hard, as updated map is provided in the airport, free of charge. My friends and I rented this 7-seater car (Toyota Avanza) at Phuket International Airport. We approached Thai Car Rent & Tours airport counter (the office is located 3 minutes from the airport). Originally priced at THB1400 per day, we managed to bargain for THB1100 per day (inclusive of insurance). It's very reasonable and car is in pretty good condition. Good service and friendly staff too.

After agreeing with the price, they drove the car to the airport for us to check. We're satisfied and one of the staff drove all of us to the office for some procedures and payments. All you need to get ready are your passport and driver's license. They'll fill in the form details for you and they'll also make a copy of photocopied passport for their record. Once done, you can pay them part of the total price and settle the remaining balance when you return the car (remember to fill the fuel tank to full upon returning the car). After that, they will mark in the car diagram for any scratch or deformation of the car (you may take picture if you want). When done, the car is all yours for the rented period. :-)

You may also rent from other international car rental service provider like AVIS. The counter is available right in the airport too.

• Beaches

• imstress's Profile Photo

Car Rental

by imstress Written Jun 21, 2007

K J Motorbike and Car Rental

You may wish to consider renting a car to go about in Phuket. We rented a Toyota Yaris at KJ Shop for THB1000 for 24 hours. For a small Suzuki Jeep, the rental fee is about THB700 per day for a small Suzuki jeep.

I think renting a car would be a good option especially if you have 4 or 5 person. Do make sure that insurance is included in the car rental fees. Do read the fine prints before you sign on the dotted line.

• illusion_huanr's Profile Photo

Cheaper transport from Airport

by illusion_huanr Updated Jun 13, 2007

Taxi booth at the airport corner

Once step out from the Phuket International Airport, you can get the silver taxi & van to hotel.

But, if you're looking for a cheaper option, turn to the right and look for this yellow booth at the end.

They charge arcording the metre. As an example, from airport to Kata including airport tax THB100, normally not more than THB480/car.

• genie47's Profile Photo

Suzuki Caribian (actually Caribbean)

by genie47 Updated Jun 3, 2007

The Phuket Race Driver with his mean Caribian

Pleasant experiences with it though the vehicle isn't top notch. The Suzuki Caribbean I rented is a truly certified 4X4. Robust and even at 20 years old (the SJ413 series came into being in 1984), really keeps going like a Duracell. Please note that this is not a passenger vehicle. The Caribbean is basically a cargo 4X4. The Caribbeans you see in Phuket with rear seating are sort of modified to fit seats behind in their cargo compartment. They are essentially cargo vehicles like the Daihatsu Hijets that are used as tuk tuks in Phuket.

They are cheap to rent at THB700-850 a day but know that they come only in manual. Due to the age and it being an offroad vehicle basically, the steering wheel play is really big. There is no powersteering. If you have been fed on a powersteering cars from driving school till now, it will be a big shock to you.

The wheels are OK for the one I rented. Most rented vehicle wheels don't offer the grip you are used to with your own car back at home. However, I forgot to check the lights. My Caribbean was lacking in high beams.

I got mine from David Car Rent. They have the advantage of being near to the airport. So if you drop the car off at the departure hall Burger King, they can come in 5 minutes to settle payment should you pay in cash and all the details and you just walk in for your flight. The other which I didn't use the AP Car Rent. They are also located near the airport.

• yukisanto's Profile Photo

renting cars and mini van

by yukisanto Updated May 17, 2007

We hired a mini van from our hotel for 1200 baht a full day. rather worth it when you split it among 9 pax. you do need to take control though, if not the driver will just drive you to places where he can earn commission.

i also hired for myself a driver for one day which cost me 1500 baht per car. Averge rate, but for one person, it may be slightly expensive. However since I was alone the first day, this was a good and safe option. Mr Sam picked me up from the airport and brought me around the island showing me the different local places and some toursit attractions which i wanted to go. thanks to him, I had a complete understanding of the real side of phuket and not its image as just a resort. really recommend him. I contacted him before I went.

His no is +66 846 309 334. His email.. can't rem offhand, but if you PM me, I'll tell you.

• genie47's Profile Photo

Getting around by car

by genie47 Updated Mar 30, 2007

Our rented Toyota Vios

Getting around Phuket by car is easy. It's not easy to rent a car though. We came during the peak season of December. As a result many car rental companies have all their cars leased out. Even giants like Budget Car and Truck Rental have no more vehicles left. Finally only Pure Car Rent has an available car. A manual transmission Toyota Vios powered by a 2NZ-FE engine. My advice, go online and book the car in advance before your arrival in Phuket.

If you are from Malaysia or Singapore, you just need to present your own driver's license. Drivers from other places, better get an International Driver's License.

If you have children like me, you can request for child restraint systems. As usual, the rental car's tires are left to be desired compared to what you usually have at home.

The roads in Phuket are generally very well mainatained except for the small roads. Huge potholes exist and best avoided if you don't want damage to the vehicle's suspension. Usually, driving around in Phuket involves rather hilly roads with lots of bends. It can be challenging to a novice driver. It is however heavenly for the expert driver but I will not recommend any Takumi wannabes to try any touges. December sees a lot of tourists riding motorcycles and even sidecars.

Since Phuket is connected to mainland Thailand via the Sarasin Bridge, it is entirely possible to drive all the way from Singapore to Phuket. You can check out Poortraveller's blog, a daring individual who has driven from Singapore to Ko Samui. He gives vital information about driving your car into Thailand from Malaysia. Not only he has done it, on TV, the local news program PGTV showed images of the Singapore Porsche Club driving their mean machines up here to Phuket.

See my travelogue on Driving around Phuket.

Instant Answers: Phuket

• Feb 26, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Po him just made my holiday complete !!! He even bring my son to play with his cute son! Service rate 10/10 will definitely hired him again!!!
    I promised him to recommend his services so this is his contact +66 0899742099.