Ashgabat Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Ashgabat

• Evenbach's Profile Photo

Coffee House restaurant: Best restaurant in Ashgabat and Turkmenistan

by Evenbach Updated Aug 8, 2012

relaxing atmosphere and nice art

I have eaten at the Coffee House many times and have never been disappointed. The staff is friendly and attentive. It is more relaxing than many of the larger restaurants you might choose. Try it!
    Very nice place! good food, relaxing atmosphere, very nice pictures of Turkmen talent artist on the walls, artist's name Mamet, and you can buy some of them for your interior. Recommended!

Favorite Dish: This restaurant has the best beef that I've had in my eight years in Turkmenistan. Their filet mignon, while not quite what you find in the West, is delicious. Hightly recommend the Korean Salad, too!

• Gay and Lesbian

Gülüfar: Restaurant at the Russian Market

by sachara Updated Sep 1, 2008

At the entrance of the Russian market you can go down the stairs to the Gülüfar restaurant. It was the only place I saw in the citycentre with tables outdoors, though undere the huge roof of the markethall. I visited the Russian market in the morning just after breakfast, so it was not the right time for a meal, but only for a drink.

Besides tables and chairs there was also a traditional bed to sit at (see picture 3). If you prefer a quick bite, there are also some shaslik stands at the entrance of the market.

Altyn Dan: For a good lunch

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2008

Altyn Dan

The second day in town we visited in the cytrcentre the Altyn Dan Restaurant. It was a a pleasant place with international food. I didn't see many restaurants in town. No terraces outside anyway. All happens inside in airconditioned rooms.

Favorite Dish: As starter we had several tasty salads ( see picture 3). The main course with rice I can't remember very well. I think I skipped this part and took the dessert of sweet melon instead.

Coffeehouse Güzer: European or African atmosphere

by sachara Updated Aug 27, 2008

Nice ehtnografic decorations

For lunch we went to the Coffeehouse. It was a surprise to find a interior with an international European atmosphere. The more surprised I was about the African ethnografic decorations.

Favorite Dish: Of ocurse the coffee was very good with a nice selection. There was a menu with a variety of international meals. We decided to have a small lunch with delicious salads and bread. They had also my favourite tabuleh salad.

• aboulmiche's Profile Photo

Can't remember ... Sorry :(: Lebanese Restaurant in Ashgabat !

by aboulmiche Updated Jun 30, 2005

Believe it or not ! There is a Lebanese restaurant in Ashgabat. It seems that a Lebanese guy opened it some time ago and after a certain time, he left.
    However, as for dishes, they taste anything but Lebanese ... If you have already eaten in Lebanon, you will know what I mean ...
    As for the Lebanese traditional Arak drink, it is replaced by a similar Turkish one, called 'Yeni Raki'.

Favorite Dish: The closest dish to Lebanese taste was the chicken barbecue also known as 'Chich Taouk' in Lebanon ...

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Shashlikh stands: Restaurants without the restaurant

by bdwoot Written Jan 1, 2005

Behind apartments and garages throughout Ashgabat are little bastions of capitalism. This is the Shashlikh stand. The one that I went to with two officers of the local version of the KGB and a coworker of mine was behind an apartment block. There were outdoor tables in a little garden and several yurts if you wanted to eat it indoors in a traditional manner.

Shashlikh is like a cross between shishkebab and satay, where strips of beef and lamb (no pork, mind you, it's an Islamic country) or even camel are cooked over hardwood charcoal in a 55 gallon drum turned on it's side and cut in half. This is accompanied by salads of carrot and beet, and the ubiquitous vodka, though tea is also consumed.

A word of warning: don't drink the sour camel's milk. It was obtained for me by one of the officers I was eating with, and I tried to drink it as a courtesy. I am usually hale-and-well-met and will try anything once, but this was the worst stuff I have ever put in my mouth. I am serious, I have vomited up stuff that tasted better. (Gross, but that is exactly what I thought as I tried to drink it.) One of my hosts drank it just like it was buttermilk.

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

The Florida: Caviar

by bdwoot Updated Jan 1, 2005

Actually, every restaurant I ate in shared one characteristic: the caviar. Unbelievably cheap, fresh, like nothing else I have ever eaten. I can't say I had much before I visited Ashgabat, or even any of the real stuff from sturgeon.

One thing for sure, I doubt if I will ever experience as much or as good as I had there. Salty, cool, fishy, and a glorious little "sploosh" every time you bit into one of those little pearls. Eat it with black bread or crackers with sour pickle relish and a hit of vodka, and you want to moment to last forever.

• ashtox's Profile Photo

You Get Turkish, Italian...

by ashtox Written Dec 12, 2003

There are many restaurants where you can get a variety of food like Italian, Turkish, Turkmeni, Russian etc. I heard there is some Indian restaurant but could not find it!
    Italian: Ahal, Nissa
    Turkish: Altyn Plaza, Ankara, Shereton, Florida, Mizan

Favorite Dish: One must try Turkish Lamb... its just delicious!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Yimpas: Turkish Investment

by traveloturc Written Jul 21, 2006

yimpas in ashgabat

Yimpas is a super mall builded by turkish investors .Its a market of 20000 m2 covered area and has very good restaurants and cafeterias

• aboulmiche's Profile Photo

The English Pub: Enjoy Happy Hours

by aboulmiche Written Jun 1, 2005
    Florida

Nice place with nice food and drinks.
    They also have a pool table.
    Happy Hours from 8 to 10 PM with 50% discount on your bill.

Favorite Dish: You would enjoy drinking rather than eating.

• Business Travel

• Four Points Ak Altyn Plaza...

by gligor_kot Written Aug 26, 2002

Four Points Ak Altyn Plaza Hotel Restaurant
    Indian cuisine. Selection of steak, pasta and chicken. Pleasant environment. On the weekends, chamber and jazz groups perform.

• Four Points Ak Altyn Plaza...

by gligor_kot Written Aug 26, 2002

Four Points Ak Altyn Plaza Hotel Coffee Shop
    American and Turkish dishes. Good selection of sandwiches and light fare. On the weekdays there is also a buffet of Turkish salads, meats and desserts.

Instant Answers: Ashgabat

Comments

Ashgabat Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ashgabat restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ashgabat sightseeing.