Khiva Tourist Traps

Khiva - photo opportunity (by Chris)
    by toonsarah

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Khiva

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Photo opportunities

by toonsarah Written Aug 4, 2007

Khiva - photo opportunity (by Chris)

In several spots in the old town we saw these “photo opportunities”, where tourists could dress up in traditional costume and pose in elaborate settings. It was far too hot though for us to want to put on layers of heavy clothing or thick furry hats, even if we’d wanted to pay for the privilege of looking a bit silly! There’s also a place where you can be photographed with a camel (called Misha according to my guidebook) but I’m fond of camels and it didn’t seem to me that he was very happy with his lot so I kept away in order not to encourage this practice.

Fun Alternatives: If you want pictures of traditional Uzbek clothing the locals will be more than happy to oblige!

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Simply be prepared (not a real trap)

by Trekki Updated Oct 10, 2006

Well, by now I don't see this as tourist trap anymore, but want to place it here for all who might read my writings.

Be prepared that, as a foreign tourist, you have to pay more than Uzbek tourists. I cannot judge about prices in restaurants or hotels, but it is due for all entrance fees.

Simply accept this, don't complain (as I did in between, but only to myself). Just consider that the price you paid to get from your country to Uzbekistan is much more than people earn here per month.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Khiva

Comments

Khiva Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Khiva tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Khiva sightseeing.