Allez Boo, Ho Chi Minh City

187 Pham Ngu Lao St.

• kidfree's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: A Great Hangout

by kidfree Written Sep 15, 2006

The Allez Boo is possibly the most popular place of its type in the so called backpacker area.
    Located on the corner of Pham Ngu Lao and De Tham it is attached to the Liberty 3 Hotel and rarely seems to close.
    The food is pretty basic fast food type of thing that appeals to its target group; young tourists on the move but they do have a selection of local dishes as well. Draught and bottled beer is available with a good selection to pick from at average prices.
    This is a great place in a great location to just hang out and meet people, you can sit outside and enjoy the street scene or sit at one of the tables inside or at the bar itself. There is a really good atmosphere here and the staff were very friendly. If you are travelling alone this is a place to make friends.

Favorite Dish: Good burgers and a reasonable spaghetti, OK spring rolls.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: Never thought I would die for a hamburger !!

by pfsmalo Written Aug 23, 2007

Clock tower of Ben Thanh market.

This place on Pham Ngu Lao is a favourite of the backpacker area for all sorts of people. I liked this place for its very good music, but also when you've overdosed on noodles, rice, soup and everything vietnamese for 3 weeks they had the best tasting hamburger and chips ever, washed down with a nice cool beer. Deeelicious !!!

Favorite Dish: Hamburger, chips and beer.

• neurochic's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: What's The Big Deal

by neurochic Updated Mar 29, 2006

Ok I don't understand why this restaurant is always packed. The service here is lackluster and very slow. The food is nothing to write home about and the prices are high. Furthermore, the restaurant being located on the corner of a busy street, if you attempt to try and sit next to the window you will be harassed by street vendor after street vendor.

The restaurant does stay open quite late to service the backpacker crowd and they do have a full service bar. Also the majority of the food on the menu is of Western fare so if you are looking for nonasian food this is your place. My Italian dad just had to have spaghetti while we were in Vietnam.

Favorite Dish: The fried spring rolls are very good. I also tried the Vietnamese curry dish which was ok and nothing like Vietnamese fare. Tasted more like a Thai dish.

• tabatha's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: Allez Boo

by tabatha Written Sep 2, 2002

Not only for the food but also because it´s a nice place, more a bar than a restaurant, which can also be visited as after the dinner for some cocktails.

Favorite Dish: Pasta Pesto 20.000 dong (delicious)
    Mi xau 20.000 dong (fried noddles with seafood)

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: Try the Local Food

by Aidy_p Updated Apr 27, 2007
    Looking Out to the Street

Though located along the backpackers' alley of Pham Ngu Lao, the ambience of this award-winning restaurant is one of the best around the city, though prices of food ain't.

Jac and I felt that though it was slightly more expensive than the normal fare around Ho Chi Minh city, it was still of good quality.

Favorite Dish: I had the vietnamese chicken curry while Jac had the egg noodle with seafood. To round it off, we even had a glass of red wine while watching the people and vehicles along the busy street go by.

Vietnamese chicken curry (Curry ga) - 55,000VND
    Egg noodle with seafood (Mi Xiao) - 45,000VND

• karoshi's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: overrated

by karoshi Written Jun 29, 2007

Well, this is clearly 'the' spot to hang out late night in the backpacker area. The place is packed with people that spend about 3 days in the city at most. Probably because of that it doesn't do any proper service nor is the cuisine worth to mention. We got half-burned springrolls there. Annoyed by street vendors, hookers and too loud music we left the place soon.
    Prices are higher than in some proper restaurant somewhere else in Saigon.

Favorite Dish: none

• Allez Boos: Avoid this place like the plague!

by aroundtheworld80days Written Jun 25, 2012

We were charged 5 bottles of unopened water + a soda. which we did not order and did not drink. They simply brought them out to the table and left them there. 40,000 a piece (for water), which is double or triple the going rate in this part of town. We asked the price for Instant Noodles: 80,000! LOL. Everything was given an automatic 20% increase because it was "late at night". One teeny pizza (which was advertised as "large"), plus about the 2 drinks which we actually ordered (coffee and coconut!) came to nearly 700,000 VND !!!

In Vietnam if you do not open a drink, you are allowed to return it when paying. (In the rest of the world you are not brought drinks which you do not order! lol) When we questioned the charge, multiple guards dressed in black, with sticks, suddenly appeared out of the woodwork! Like a bad B-movie. I guess the guards are there not so much to protect the customers, but to safeguard the restaurant owner's fat pocketbook. What does a restaurant need 10 security guards for? lol. Motorbike parking was 10,000 per bike. Most restaurants will charge you nothing. Again, we were physically prevented from leaving until we paid the over priced parking fee. A horrible ending to an otherwise decent night on the town. Refusing to pay the jacked-up bill or the unadvertised parking fee would have led to physical confrontation. Welcome to Allez Boos.

The Pham Ngu Lao/De Tham/Bui Vien area has plenty of small, friendly, affordable places to eat, but as for Allez Boos:

Avoid this place like the plague!

Favorite Dish: none

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: Enjoy the happy hour!

by theguardianangel Written Nov 25, 2012

This place is located at the side of a street in District 1. I think the location is great where most of the cafes, bars and other restaurants are found too. The place is made mostly of bamboo poles and wood which gives a cozy atmosphere. It has also a bar inside making it great for drinking wine/beer with friends after a tiring day. The staffs are friendly, smile often and try to speak English. I like people who make an effort to do something even it’s difficult for them and that’s what I like to their staffs here. I don’t care if it’s a wrong grammar, as long as we can speak a common language and we are able to understand each other, everything’s fine.

Favorite Dish: The foods are great! The spring rolls and pork steak are must try! It’s just a bit pricey but worth it. Rice is separately ordered costs 15,000VND (as far as I can remember). They also have service charge added in the total bill starting at 10pm. My friends and I decided to have a drink just to celebrate our 1st night in Saigon. At that time, they have a promo of the drinks called the happy hour which starts at 10pm also- 100,000VND for 3 drinks of Margarita, Vodka and I forgot the other one. We realized that it’ll be cheaper than to order solo drinks since each costs about more than 53,000VND.

We ordered more foods until we realized we had a total bill of more than 2M VND. We ran out of VND, and here we learned for the first time that most of the restaurants in HCMC accept USD. However, the only disadvantage I see in paying USD is that the rates differ instantly (based from the exchange rate at that time of payment).

• Women's Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• Alley Boo: Tourist rip off

by peter_hatinger Written Jul 24, 2011

I paid triple !!! the normal price for a small tiger beer (50) and I had the smallest thai curry ever without even any veggie for 150 !!! that is more than double the normal price for a tiny portion, and they charged a service / tip charge Places like this give saigon a bad name for ripping tourists off . Stay away !!!

Favorite Dish: Only had one curry dish that was tiny, below average. !!! stay away

• Allez Boo: Here's a tip: avoid Allez Boo

by peachesbaby Updated Sep 16, 2010

This place is awful. My friends and I went here for dinner tonight out of convenience/close to our hotel. First, the food is not good. I ordered Coconut Shrimp and got a dish full of shrimp sitting in what appeared to be half & half...no coconut flavor whatsoever. My friend asked the waitress if the spring rolls were vegetarian. The waitress smiled, nodded and said 'vegetarian, yes'. They definitely were not, the spring rolls clearly had meat in them. The ambience was horrible. The music ranged from really bad techno that may have been cool in 1999 to Enrique Iglasius. To top it off, the waitress ripped us off. We gave an extra $100,000 dong & asked for change. She brought us back $20,000 dong. We explained to her that it was wrong and she pretended not to understand us. This place is only cool if 1) you like cheesy places (think Hard Rock Cafe or Senor Frog's) and 2) you have horrible taste in music.

• Clodagh's Profile Photo

Allez Boo: Great place

by Clodagh Written Jan 31, 2006

In Allez Boo

If in Saigon you have to eat here. They have a wide variety of lovely food, full bar, great staff, atmosphere and pool tables too.

Favorite Dish: Steak with mushroom sauce and chips.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

Comments

View all Ho Chi Minh City hotels