Places to eat in Ho Chi Minh City

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Various: Famous beef noodle of Vietnam

by muratkorman Written Nov 7, 2008

You can find many resturants in HCMC serving Beef Noodle which is a local favorite meal in Vietnam. Around backpackers area, you can just go into one restaurant and order this delicious meal.

Favorite Dish: Beef Noodle

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

333 Beer..don't leave Saigon without it

by bpwarne Updated Aug 17, 2007

Do'nt know if the legend is true or not but it goes back awhile. 33 beer was purported to have formaldehyde in it back in 1970 when I was in Saigon. Supposedly as a preservative. Back then it was the beer of choice for many 'Saigon Warriors' as there were not many other choices. Sure, you had American brands which you could buy at the PX and most probably did, but they kept those in their fridg in their barracks or their off post apartment to drink. Or they sold them on the black market. You had a ration card and were only allowed so many cases a month, however if you knew the right person you probably had two or three ration cards, which made for a happy camper. The first of the month you would run to the PX, buy all the
    cigarettes, beer, and liquor (Hennessey was worth gold)you could, then sell it to a cabbie, the mama san at your apartment, or a bar, which more than paid your rent for the month and gave you extra pocket money besides. If you went out to the bars on Tu do Street or Plantation Road, etc, American beers were relatively expensive as they were the same beers sold to the bars by the GIs on the black market. I was told it was originally a french beer (French? In any event, they were not bad but did have a very distinct taste. The 333's I had in Vung Tau, Nha Trang, and Saigon tasted different than the old 33 beer I remembered , rather flat, a lot like the low grade American domestics such as Bud or Coors. Not much kick either.
    Regardless of how it tates now, many vets returning to Saigon for a visit will certainly want to try the new 333 beer and compare it to the 33 beer of old.

• Beer Tasting

• Eurasian68's Profile Photo

BiBi's/Le Bordeaux/Le Caprice: French restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City

by Eurasian68 Written Jan 6, 2006

There are several French restaurants in the city. A popular and cosy bistro is BiBi's-colourful and affordable with Mediterranean flair. Quite remote but well worth the detour is Le Bordeaux, an excellent and romantic spot. Perhaps the classiest act in town is Le Caprice-the cuisine quality, views and indeed the bill are sky high

• mnhaus's Profile Photo

everywhere: Local Restaurants

by mnhaus Written Apr 6, 2005

there are so many good places to eat! Went to a small place in Go Vap where I was told they served "food from the forest", recommended to me by a local. They had an interesting array of foods. One of my favorites was the fried fish - they are just crispy little things that have a mild flavor and go great with a bia.
    Wish I could remember the directions....sorry

Crispy fish!

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

travelmad478's Restaurant Tip

by travelmad478 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite Dish: In Saigon, we had everything from incredible French pastries to a delicious clear soup with shrimp and spinach. Go figure. I wish I could remember names and locations of restaurants, but since I was there in 1996 my suggestions would probably be outdated anyway.

• drolkar's Profile Photo

The Chinese district, CHOLON,...

by drolkar Written Aug 24, 2002

The Chinese district, CHOLON, is a good place to go for Chinese food.

Favorite Dish: The omni-present Vietnamese dish is pho or noodle soup, which comes in many varieties.

Coffee is usually served with evaporated milk and is therefore very sweet. The bread and croissants are probably the best to be found in Asia, no doubt thanks to the influence of the French !

• carstenj's Profile Photo

I can't say I have a favourite...

by carstenj Written Aug 24, 2002

I can't say I have a favourite restaurant in Saigon, home cooking is good though. In general, chinese and vietnamese cuisine is good, cheap and plentifull.
    We tried Shrimp Burgers which were not bad at all.
    Fresh Coconut juice or Sugar Cane juice made fresh as you wait. It is so good and refreshing.

Favorite Dish: NOT is the ducks eggs. They actually contain a small duckling and this is considered a delicatesse. Yuk!

• chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

no name known: Eating snake? Isn't it dangerous?

by chrisvandenbroucke Written Feb 24, 2004

Snake is a delicatesse and is never on the normal menu.
    In our hotel, the owner asked us if we were interested to eat snake in a nearby restaurant. They had to have at least 8 customers to afford the meal.
    The second, they already had 6 people and asked us again...
    Well, we were late, having had a few beers, and were the last ones to enter.
    The butcher made his entrance, bowed and showed the enormous snake around his arm. He went from table to table because he cut the head off. Above two glasses... ours!!!
    The snake blood dripped in our wodka and we had to drink it.
    I closed my eyed and drank it in one time.
    I got applause but didn't feel very brave...
    Luckily we had a few beer before so that I had no time to realise what I was doing there

Ho Chi Ming, snake supper

• Beverages: Soft Drink Reference

by chunk38 Updated Mar 3, 2012

Number 1 yellow - like a red bull but not carbonated and without the foul aftertaste
    Number 1 red - Strawberry
    Number 1 "black" - cola ( they will tell you it doens't exist but I have had it)
    Number 1 White - I forget maybe soy milk

Xaxi - A foul attempt at root beer
    Sarsi - see "xaxi

Marinda orange - orange soda
    Marinda Sarsi - even worse a xaxi than xaxi

Sinh To - fruit or vegetable "smoothie"

Tra Da - Iced Tea
    Tra Xanh - green tea

Cafe Da -Iced Coffee
    Cafe Sua Da - Iced coffee with condensed milk

Nuoc Suoi - bottled spring water, sanitized ( note- brand "Happy Water" is not sanitized)
    Nuoc Dua - Coconut
    Nuoc Cam - orange juice
    Nuoc Thom - Pineapple
    Nuoc Ca Chua - tomato juice
    Nuoc Chuoi - "banana juice" but its what girls call semen so don't ask for banana juice

"ep" means pressed or squeezed

Amuse your friends - tell them the Number1 yellow you're drinking is sterilized monkey urine

number 1 mau vang cafe da

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Baguette with a view

by Ramonq Updated Apr 11, 2012

Located in the a corner overlooking the Notre Dame Cathedral, this is an open restaurant that serves local and foreign dishes. Nice for a quick bite and refreshing beer whilst watching the Saigon world go by. I saw a wedding pictorial down below. Being an open restaurant it can be warm upstairs.

Favorite Dish: I had French style baguette sandwich which was satisfying.

Note my VT bag!

• Let's Boc (Use your fingers): Finger food with a twist

by treksta Written Mar 13, 2011

I happened to stumble on this particular restaurant while taking the taxi and the name of the restaurant intrigued me. I asked the lady owner to find out that the name 'Let's Boc' means 'Let's Eat Using Your Fingers', so basically traditional Vietnamese finger foods - majority of which is fresh Spring Rolls (Rice Paper Rolls) that is pre made or you roll your own (my preference) depending on what you order from the menu. My favourite is 'Nem Nuong Tra Vinh' aka 'Tra Vinh style pork skewers' & 'Goi Cuon' aka 'Rice Paper roll'. It also comes with different dipping sauce (one of my fav things about Vietnamese food) that complements the food.
    The restaurant is kind of small, which is kind of expected in Vietnam, but the service was friendly and welcoming, also as expected when coming to Vietnam.
    Last, but never the least, the price is so damn cheap. I think i paid no more then $10 (incl. tips) and had one of the best rice paper rolls that i made to my likings.
    Great experience.

Favorite Dish: There were so many great dishes but if i must choose one, I'll have to say it was 'Nem Nuong Tra Vinh' aka 'Tra Vinh style pork skewers' that comes with fresh greens and delicious dipping sauce.

Lover's Spring Roll Grilled scallop Nem Nuong Tra Vinh Grilled Tiger Prawns Stirred clams

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

I Love this Cafe

by bpwarne Written Jan 10, 2010

This is a great little cafe with a very private feel about. Open for breakfast and lunch with set menu offerings at 35,000 dong for breakfast and 45000 dong for lunch (less than $2 for breakfast and about $2.25 USD fo lunch, not including drinks. Lunch in Jan 2010 consists of a salad bar, soup, a piece of fruit for desert and your choice of 1 of 4 entrees, usually two fish dishes and 1 pork and 1 chicken dish. Entrees are served with rice and some vegetables.This cafe sets back a good distance from the street, located at the end of a private walkway. There is a rather large indoor dining room with air conditioning offering a very pleasant dining experience. If the weather is not too hot you may prefer to dine outside at one of about six shaded tables.Staff does not speak much English but are very gracious and helpful. Food is great, service is excellent and a most enjoyable relaxed feel to the setting. I have dined here a few times and have yet to encounter another westerner here.
    a Vietnames iced coffee with milk (ca phe sua da) will set you back 29000 dong. a bit pricey but not for District 1 area. Ccheaper than most District 1 Trung Nguyen or Highland Coffee shops. Definitely a lot better coffee than Highlands.
    Dinner is not served at this cafe. In the evenings it functions as a coffee house/lounge offering nightly pop music entertainment with no cover charge.

Favorite Dish: Any of the fish entrees. Great salad bar with different sauces/dressings.

• Business Travel

• pebs's Profile Photo

by pebs Written Feb 25, 2008

Highly recommended is the sapodilla (ciku fruit) juice. As I personally aint a big fan of ciku, I found it nice. But my personal favorite is the soursop juice. blended with ice and milk - yummy and tasty esp on a hot day!

Can be found in most restaurants and eateries for about US$1 per cup

• Audia's Profile Photo

Halal Restaurant inside the mosque complex: Halal Food

by Audia Updated Mar 22, 2008

This is the Indonesian/Malay food place located within the mosque complex. The price for two persons (big portion of rice, one veggie and two meats) is at around 100 thousand Dong.

A bit pricey, though.

Favorite Dish: Anything.

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Lion Tea: Bubble Tea Anyone?

by Aidy_p Written Apr 27, 2007

Walking back from Pham Ngu Lao to our hotel in District 3, we chanced upon this bubble tea shop that seemed like a popular hangout for the young Vietnamese adults. The manager of the shop seemed to know that I'm a Chinese and started speaking to me in Mandarin. Wow! I did not know that Vietnamese could speak such good Mandarin. The manager said that his ancestors were from China and had settled in Saigon a couple of generations ago.

Favorite Dish: Prices for the nice, cold bubble tea starts from 7,000VND onwards (Less than USD 1)!

Ho Chi Minh City Hotels

Bongsen Annex Hotel
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

Ho Chi Minh City Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ho Chi Minh City locals.
Map of Ho Chi Minh City