Pho Hao, Ho Chi Minh City

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Pho Hoa: The Best Pho in HCMC

by bpacker Updated Nov 21, 2004

Slurp Slurp Slurp in Pho Hao

Well before you wonder what the hell pho is(say "fur") , it is a thin and white long thing, the most delicious noodle in the whole of Vietnam. This place is listed in Patricia Schultz's "1000 places to see before you die" so it's practically an instituition.

In all my 4D in HCMC, I've tried pho from street stalls to fine-dining establishments. The best, IMHO, is found at PHO HOA (say 'fur hua' ). The shop is tucked away quietly in Pasteur St and it can be quite difficult to find unless you hijack a cab (well,hunger drives you crazy sometimes ). Upon reaching, you should see a shop crammed with locals eating at all hours of the day ( see photo ) .

Favorite Dish: Choose a table and order PHO BO (say fur boar) or beef noodles. This is their specialty and it's way better than their chicken noodles (pho ga).

What makes their PHO BO good? Well for one , the beef is tender and the soup naturally flavourful unlike the msg-laden crap you find elsewhere. No names here but sometimes you shouldn't believe in celebrity endorsement.

To see more delicious picture of Vietnamese food, click on b'packer's hcmc page

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Pho Hoa: Pho Hoa

by kenningst Written Aug 26, 2008

This place is listed in Patricia Schultz's "1000 places to see before you die" so I guess it is logically that I took an hour's walk to spot this place down. This places serves Veitnamese's most common local dish which is Pho. I tried it here and think that it is pretty good. Try it if you are around the neighbourhood.

Favorite Dish: Pho

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Pho Hoa: The Yummiest Pho in HCMC

by chatterley Updated Jun 20, 2005

Thanks to tips from VTer bpacker, we decided to try the pho at this restaurant, and we were certainly not disappointed! The beef was tender, the pho was smooth and slides down your throat...very GOOD! This had to be the best pho bo we've eaten in HCMC!

We were lucky that we tried this restaurant on our last day in HCMC...if we had eaten here on the very first day of arrival, we probably could not bear to eat the pho at other restaurants, and had to keep coming back! Yes, it really was that good...and we were glad we saved the best for last.

The only problem was that no staff seemed to understand English, and we had a bit of trouble getting the waiter to know what we wanted.

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

PHO 2000: CLINTON ATE HERE!!!

by alyf1961 Written Oct 15, 2012

DELICIOUS PHO

The restaurant is famous locally for Pho which is a classic Vietnamese dish of white noodles in a broth with chicken or beef.
    President Clinton ate here in 2000; he was the first President of the USA to visit Vietnam after the Vietnam War. He visited with his daughter Chelsea. They sat at a table with a red tablecloth which is still used in the restaurant. His menu is displayed under a glass top on the table and pictures of him are displayed on the walls.
    The food was delicious and very cheap. I had beef Pho and a coke which came to 73,000 VDN (dong) which is about $4 or £2.50

Favorite Dish: BEEF PHO

• XRSIST's Profile Photo

Pho Hao: Great Pho...

by XRSIST Updated Mar 4, 2007

There's nothing better than a great bowl of Pho so when I came back to Vietnam a few years ago trying to find what the 'origin' could offer, I was quite disappointed. After reading bpackers review, I couldn't agree much more especially the celebrity part, so from his review I thought I'd try this place.

I have to say this place is quite packed especially with the locals. It was completely full when I went but the staff were happy to help out and find us a table quickly. The service is quick and friendly but I did notice there seems to be more room upstairs than the lower and ground floor so try to get seating there.

They don't skimp on the greens, it comes in a big bowl with bean sprouts, basil etc.

Favorite Dish: While the Pho came out only warm instead of hot (probably more a personal preference than anything) it was the best I've had in Vietnam, cheap too!

The only downside is they have tuon (aka the brown paste) and the chill sauce in glass jars which were left open causing the top layers to dry. Although saying that, I still ate it!! It's all in the experience.

I'll be back definitely!!

• sunshine_01's Profile Photo

Pho Hoa Pasteur: Pho, Pho and more Pho

by sunshine_01 Updated Apr 18, 2012

3 different types of pho

It's name tells it all, this place sells nothing but pho. You knew you had come to the right place when you saw the restaurant was crowded with locals.

The menu had 12 standard types of pho and on top of that you could mix & match 2-3 different types of meat to your order of pho. I had ordered Pho Chin and my companions ordered Pho Ga(chicken) and Pho Tai(raw beef). My Pho chin(well done brisket) has a light clear broth with hints of beefy goodness. The broth was just right; not very salty and the brisket was tender. Fresh herbs were served together with our phos. You could tear the herbs into small pieces and add them to your bowl of pho for more flavours. The herbs that I could recognise were sawtooth coriander, mint and Thai basil. There was one particular herb(I'm clueless of it's name) that I simply disliked. It had a soapy taste and it reminds me of Japanese Shiso leaves. Yucks.

Side dishes such as gio chao quay(fried fritters) and cha(lean pork paste)wrapped in banana leaves were placed on our table. At the end of the meal, if you had eaten the side dishes you will be charged accordingly. We paid 52,000VND for each bowl of pho.

The cost of the pho is based on the following:
    1. Pho Thuong (normal size): 52,000VND
    2. Pho DB (special/big size): 60,000VND
    3. To Thit Nuoc (big size; without noodle): 52,000VND
    4. Pho Em Be (child size): 40,000VND
    5. Bahn Nuoc Lon (big size; without meat): 30,000VND
    6. Chen thit Nuoc (small size; without noodle): 40,000VND
    7. Dia Thit (per order of meat): 100,000VND
    (Note: My volunteer guide helped me to translate the above charges from Vietnamese to English)

Opening hours: 7.30am to 2.00pm and 5.30pm to 9.30pm

• edelng's Profile Photo

Pho Hao: Best Pho I've tried

by edelng Written Jul 1, 2007

Best pho in HCMC

Since it's listed as best pho in HCMC by bpacker, I definitely must try. Very tasty soup and tender meat. Pho with beef brisket cost 29000dong. A lot of locals. I was eating alone sharing table with 2 smoking locals. Soccer match was screened on a very large LCD TV. Will come back again for the pho if I come to HCMC next time.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

pho 2000: PHO ? YOU GOTTA HAVE IT WHEN IN VIETNAM

by xymmot Written Feb 5, 2013
    THIS IS THE SMALL BOWL

There is no ambience besides their famous pictures of the boss and then President Bill Clinton sitting down for a bowl of Pho. Of all places he picked this one and it was good

Favorite Dish: BEEF PHO, large bowl please, comes with wilted beans sprouts on the side, if you get the small bowl version, no BS

• vanchi228's Profile Photo

Pho Hoa: If you've never tried PHO, you've never been to VN

by vanchi228 Written Nov 20, 2006

the restaurant's setting is very average, nothing fancy or excited about it. there's no air-con, only ceiling fans. the service is pretty good and quick although I doubt that all the staff can speak English. if you go with a VN friend, there wouldn't be a problem. if you go by yourself, I think they have an English menu so you can choose. in the worst case, if they don't have one, just say or signal "1 PHO" and you will have a Pho bowl shortly :)

Pho is an art of VN cooking. It's VN's traditional food. It comprises of many ingredients and each PHO restaurant has a slightly different way of cooking it, which makes their signature. PHO is a noodle soup that has either beef or chicken toppings and you have to add some herbs (which are given to you in the order) to your bowl to taste the true aroma of PHO. If you want some extra beef flavour, ask the staff to give you a small bowl of "nuoc beo" which contains a little bit of fat.

PHO HOA is an established brand and has been around for many many years. However, today there are many other competitors whose PHO is just as good. In fact, many HCMC residents prefer other PHO restaurant than PHO HOA.

1 bowl of PHO costs about US$2 and I must warn you it's a huge bowl. You think you've finished but actually there's still more to eat! It is very filling.

while you're in VN, try PHO at many other restaurants, too so that you can compare and choose a place you like the most. PHO HOA is only one of the many hundreds Pho restaurants in HCMC.

Favorite Dish: of course, PHO. PHO HOA only sells PHO, nothing else.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

Comments

View all Ho Chi Minh City hotels