Quan An Ngon, Ho Chi Minh City

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 34 Reviews

138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia

• Quan An Ngon
    by f8stop
  • mixed tapioca.  heaven in a glass.  woohoo!
    mixed tapioca. heaven in a glass. ...
    by f8stop
    Inside the restaurant
    by Markyreid
  • jessicalovecanada's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great Decor, Average Food

by jessicalovecanada Updated Apr 4, 2013

The establishment has great decor and is worth a visit for that alone if you are craving something a bit different from the average HCMC vibe. The menu is big with lots of choices but the food was quite average and definitely overpriced.

Favorite Dish: The sauteed flowers were interesting.

• Luxury Travel

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great food and atmosphere

by ValbyDK Updated Mar 3, 2013

Quan An Ngon is located in an old French colonial style building in the centre of Ho Chi Minh City - very close to the Reunification Palace. The name of the restaurant means "restaurant of delicious eating" - and it is a well-deserved name... The menu card consists of many regional Vietnamese specialities, and the food is absolute fantastic. My friend and I tried a few different small dishes (spring roll, salad, rice, seafood, and meat) and they were really great and tasty – and at very reasonable prices.

You can sit inside the restaurant or outside in an open-air-dinning area. The kitchen – or rather the small cooking stalls are also located outside, and it gives the restaurant a relaxed atmosphere. We had a table inside on the first floor and were placed together with a friendly Vietnamese family. They did their best to help us arranging the local dishes – great fun for all of us...

Quan An Ngon is very popular and always crowded at dinnertime. Book in advance or expect to wait for a table – however it is worth the wait…

• Quan An Ngon: Awful -worst food in vietnam!

by pjgoodway Written Dec 29, 2011

I have just dined at this restaurant (29/12/2011) and want you to know how awful it was both in terms of food and service. I ordered a beer and beef skewers with rice. The beer was served in a boiling hot glass - just out of the dishwasher and when I informed the waiter he laughed. Then the beef arrived 10 minutes before the rice (despite requests for it to be served) and the beef was then tough as old boots. We've been in Vietnam for two weeks now, and this was the worst food and service I have ever experienced. While the restaurant was full and looked nice, it was let down by the very poor food. I got the impression that we were treated in this way because we were tourists. I'd strongly recommend that you avoid this place.

Favorite Dish: N/A

• Luxury Travel

• HongPhat's Profile Photo

Qua'n Ngon: Excellent and very clean restaurant

by HongPhat Written Oct 28, 2011

A luxury site for locals and best for foreigners, where you can get many dishes and the food there is so excellent, is Ngon Inn (Quan An Ngon)

See it by: http://thodia.vn/quan-ngon-ho-chi-minh-2.html

and in its old (physical) address:

Favorite Dish: Many kinds of dish to try

• viet street: No More

by atiziano Written Jun 25, 2011

More is now less. Street food for the " white tablecloth" is no more a good dining experience. The first and foremost : Nothing taste good.
    The concept of street food made well and sanitary for all palates , is no more. A Bahn Xeo that is barely filled , the simple bean sprouts are not even edible

NO this places needs to go back, less is more.

Favorite Dish: none

• ccortez's Profile Photo

Quan an Ngon: Best place for Hue Spicy Noodle Soup!!!

by ccortez Updated Jun 14, 2011

I really like the decorations and architecture of this restaurant. It's the right atmosphere to eat local Vietnamese food. Most importantly, the place is clean and nice so I never feel worried about getting stomachache while eating here :)

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish was definitely Hue Spicy Noodle Soup. It has a very authentic taste. I actually found this noodle was more flavorful than Pho. It had the uniquely thick noodles, Vietnamese hams (with pepper) and ham hock~~ yummy! The restaurant did not make the noodles too spicy so I was able to finish the whole bowl :)

• Asian food court: EXciting experience & great food

by Cellini1 Written Dec 25, 2010

Don't miss this. Browse many kitchens surrounding courtyard in this old mansion and choose to try what delights you to try. Staff are busy but will help if you persist. Don't be afraid of fresh vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Spring rolls.

• Quan An Ngon: Only a Nice Building

by kenmunn Written Nov 25, 2010

Having rejected the restaurant by the same people in Hanoi over 2 years ago, we decided to try the one in HCMC just to see if it was different and a better experience. Oh Well... Its surely a beautiful place. But the experience stops there. While the food is tasty enough, the minuscule portions are a major disappointment (same as Hanoi), and the service at this restaurant was just pitiful. Most of the wait staff just didn't seem to have a clue. And there was no leadership for them anywhere. My companion ordered a full plate meal, grilled sliced beef, rice, veggies. She said it was very nice.. And, it came to the table almost immediately. I ordered a basic green salad, the ox tail soup, and grilled pork ribs with green onion. My companion had completed with her whole meal before I was served the salad. Not any amount of asking could get me a knife and fork for the salad, however I did finally get some salt. The soup was good enough, but the tiny bits of ox tail were tough as leather. All that gone, as well as my patience, and I was finally delivered my pork ribs. And after raising my voice, a knife and fork. Two tiny ribs, with some green onion sprinkled over them. I think there was more meat in the soup than on the ribs. I just hate leaving a restaurant hunting for a place to go eat. So, unless you just like to be seen in a nice location, avoid both the Quan An Ngon restaurants, HCMC and Hanoi.

Favorite Dish: Haven't got one.

• Museum Visits
    • Business Travel

• Quan an Ngon: Watch out for the Supra Rats!

by fec Written Nov 15, 2010

Having read the good reviews of this restaurant, I was happy to give it a go. It looked truly lovely when entering. However most of the meals on the menu were not available as it was 9.30 at night, from the limited choice available, we made a selection - however our stay was to be short lived. We did not expect rats to be on the menu of course, but neither did we expect them to be running over and around our feet. We left the table immediately but the manager was more concerned about the bill being paid for food that had been ordered and for dishes that had not even been brought out of the kitchen rather than the fact the he had a vermin ridden kitchen and dining room. His only concern was that the bill was paid, despite the fact he had extremely unhappy customers.To beat a hasty exit from the place we thrust the full amount of money into his fist and escaped to the sanctuary of our hotel. Cannot recommend this place.

Favorite Dish: Pho a la Rat!

• f8stop's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Highly-recommended!

by f8stop Updated Apr 20, 2010

mixed tapioca.  heaven in a glass.  woohoo!

I don't know where to start. We simply love this resto!! The place was clean and tastefully decorated. The food and the service were excellent! (Most of the staff were English-speaking) The prices were surprisingly low considering the ambiance and the quality of food they serve.

I guess my only complaint about this restaurant is they refused to accept a $100 bill that had a slight crease in the middle. We had to replace it with another note. But we didn't think much of it since we've noticed that almost all establishments in Ho Chi Minh were quite picky when it comes to dollar bills with big denomination anyway...

Favorite Dish: The mixed tapioca with crushed ice and coconut milk was amazing!!! Loved it loved it loved it! (reminded me of the Halo-Halo in my homeland The Philippines)
    =)

• Huynh912's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Fun place... Average food.

by Huynh912 Updated Jan 6, 2010

I'm glad we went to Quan An Ngon. It was fun and the place looks really nice, but if you're really into the food it is disappointing. The food was okay; just average. We had a lot of different items and nothing was bad, but nothing was great either.

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Possibly the Definitive Saigon Dining Experience

by bpwarne Updated Dec 29, 2009

If you will be in Saigon for only a short time, THIS is the restaurant you must dine at. Large selection of both traditional and street foods within an enormous. dining venue consisting of multiple indoor rooms on different levels plus outdoor seating. A short walking tour around the outer perimeter of the restaurant, past all the 'stalls' where the food is prepared is a bit of a culinary experience alone, perhaps something not to be missed in itself. Simple dining, yet with an unexplainable air of sophistication, perhaps merely the affect of the building it is housed within itself. Busy, frequented by both locals and an increasing tourist/expat crowd, it can be noisy at times.
    I have read much about this restaurant over the last few years, there are many write ups/reviews on all the travel forums, so many in fact that I just could not believe it would be worth a visit. As often is the case, once a restaurant receives accolades from the likes of Lonely Planet and Frommer's, the service/quality goes down as the prices and patronage soar. This is what I had believed I would experience at Quan An Ngon. Well, I finally gave in and investigated the restaurant in Dec 2009 while living and working in Saigon and surprisingly, that was not the case. Food is exceptional, presentation is good, maybe very good in some instances, staff is friendly menu is quite large, decor and ambiance slightly festive but not over done and prices are actually on the cheap side for a restaurant of this quality in District 1, Saigon's premier dining area. For anyone traveling to or through Saigon, this is a must dining experience, especially if the length of your stay is limited. Rest assured the overwhelmingly loyal patronage this establishment enjoys by the locals is in no part attributable to the American or European Travel industry's or any popular travel forum's coverage.

Favorite Dish: Sugar Cane Prawns
    Rice Paper.

by featherdeane Written Jan 6, 2009

This is a great restuarant, specialising in Vietnamese cuisine, so good infact we ate here 2 out of 3 nights and then tried the one in Hanoi (we prefered Saigon). The ambience was good, the service excellent, the waiters spoke English and will advise you what to eat and then how to eat it, need be. You can't come here and just have 1 meal each - you must order a variety of dishes so you can share like the Asians do. It is far more enjoyable and you get to taste a variety of food.

Favorite Dish: The Vietnamese crab, sweet potatoe and shrimp pancake, the fish soup and to be honest, everything we had was good, except for the drunken rice pudding. Generally speaking Asian desserts are not for Western palates - best stick to the delicious ice-cream.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

• misterzro's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM

There was a restaurant named "Quan Ngon" located exactly where is now the so-called "Quan An Ngon". "Quan An Ngon" is trying to take advantages from the fame that the previous brand has built up for years. How can they serve good food when they intentionally fool visitors from the beginning.

Hotels Near Quan An Ngon