Quan An Ngon, Ho Chi Minh City

4 out of 5 stars 34 Reviews

138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia

• Quan An Ngon
    by f8stop
  • mixed tapioca.  heaven in a glass.  woohoo!
    mixed tapioca. heaven in a glass. ...
    by f8stop
    Inside the restaurant
    by Markyreid
  • Quan an ngon: Sugar cane prawn

by Clawdia78 Written Mar 18, 2008

Okay I guess I have to mark it under 'street vendor' as that's what all the chefs are. This is an awesome place for dinner or lunch, I'd read on here that it was a good place to eat, thought I'd ask our hotel manager where a good place to eat was, guess where he said.... that's right, Quan An Ngon. We ate here 4 times in 7 days, fanatstic food and service, if you don't knwo what to eat, just ask the staff, they will recommend something. It's special in the fact that you just rock up and they'll seat you within 10mins max. It has a buzzing atmosphere, not too lit up but not so dim that you can't see what you're eating.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the sugar cane prawn (shared it with me), was delicious, I had rice with pork and beef, another delicious dish, then again we ate here 4 times, I can't remember what else I had but all the food was fantastic. Have to try the ice-cream in young coconut...... that was awesome, and the fresh fruit shakes too (I liked banana), try not to eat fruit in Vietnam, when you get home you'll be sorely disappointed, we got home and found the fruit here bites. I like all the dishes, can't really pick a favourite. Just pick something, if you don't like it, order something else, it's so cheap you can afford to... I don't think you'll not like it though.

• Markyreid's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Street food in a restaurant

by Markyreid Updated Sep 6, 2007

Inside the restaurant

A novel idea has bought together the local street vendors in a hygenic and regulated restaurant. The prices are still very cheap, the food is fantastic and the atmosphere is very quaint. Highly recommended.

• Quan An Ngon: The Best retaurant in Saigaon

by praticaltraveler Written Aug 7, 2007

This place is in front of the old Presidential Palace. Good selection of viet cousine. Place is clean and the staff are accomodating, avoid the rush of lunch crowd if possible. We ate lunch here while waiting for the Palace to open in the afternoon. Write down he name of the palce and show it to the taxi driver.

• edelng's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Nice food at good price

by edelng Written Jul 1, 2007

Most food are prepared in open concept kitchen. A lot of locals eating at the restaurant too. 3 of us ordered Vietnamese pancake, spring rolls, grilled prawns, crab meat soup, cuttlefish, noodles, beer, fruit juice and the vietnamese desserts. Cost only US$15.00. As we had no idea what to order, the waiter recommended most of the dishes.

Favorite Dish: Spring rolls and dessert.

• liemel225's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: authentic Viet

by liemel225 Written May 30, 2007

Quan An Ngon entrance

food: very Vietnamese - from starters to dessert, it serves cuisine famous around vietnam

ambiance: pretty crowded
    especially during weekends since both locals and foreigners go here to eat

surroundings: they got all corners covered specializing in diff aspect of the Vietnamese food.
    i saw one corner that only cooks all the varieties of Pho (noodle soup) by the way, make sure that you get a table already.

the menu doesnt not have pictures, just description of what is included in the dish you will order. so it might not be as what u imagine it to be.

a friend had pineapple ice cream, it was vanilla with 2 pineapple slices a tthe side. go figure! or if we just didn't read the menu well! hahaha! also other desserts are sweet but will be hot (i guess im just program to always expect cold dessert!)

Favorite Dish: the Vietnamese rice paper! it is a must try for the foreigners.
    they have different sets arrange for this,
    if you are vegetarian, you get to have all the greens you want
    or if you want meat with the greens, then a choice for pork, chicken, or beef
    and their waitresses are nice enough to even demonstrate for you HOW to wrap and eat this.
    the sauce can be spicy. but you need this to soften up the wrap.
    or else its a battle betweeen the teeth and the hand.
    but no matter who will win, you will end up with an unwrap food! scattered on your plate!
    c",)
    happy eating!

• XRSIST's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Open Air Restraunt

by XRSIST Written Mar 1, 2007

I've been to Vietnam numerous times, and I usually have lunch or dinner here. Its clean, has lots of variety, quick and decently priced. Have a walk around and have a look at what's cooking!! They pretty much cater for all the main dishes served in Vietnam. Theres not that hasn't been said but a reminder to get in early if you plan to go for dinner, the dinner menu has much more variety! It also gets extremely packed at night and dishes do run out!

Favorite Dish: None of the dishes shined out extremely nice, but they are all above average hence why I keep coming back. I do enjoy what they call the 7 colour desert.

• JonnyVN's Profile Photo

Quan Ngon: BBQ world

by JonnyVN Written Feb 10, 2007

This rooftop terrace Vietnamese BBQ joint is probably my favorite, opens at 5pm is usually very busy. With great selection of BBQ dishes, cooked on a burner on your table, great seafood and beef with cheese is delicious. And most importantly the beer is cold, something often missing at these sort of places........beer with ice? mmmmmmm not for me

• haydnesque's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Very Vietnamese

by haydnesque Written Oct 14, 2006

i had a local friend and we decided to eat here. We ordered some Vietnamese spring rolls, pho, snails, some local dessert and drinks. My gosh, its so delicious, man! Mouth watering! Cost only D120,000 ($8.00). Very cheap.

Favorite Dish: snails! Hahaha! The Pho of course!

• stalks's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: so..so... good......

by stalks Written Sep 11, 2006

We read about this place from this site and was no way disappointed. It was fantastic.The minute we walked in we were shown all the way around the food stalls and had alot of the food explained to us in very limited english but enough to enable us to order Special Spring Rolls, Shrimp and sweet potato pancakes and fried squid. YUMBO. We were also recommended this restaurant by a local not realising we had already experienced the delights. If you're in Saigon you just must go !!!!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Everything --just want to go again and again

• caren293's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great Vietnamese Restaurant

by caren293 Updated May 15, 2006

This restaurant was recommended by my vietnamese friend while I was looking for local food to try out on my visit to Saigon. Quan An Ngon deserve to be highly recommended, despite its elaborate decoration in traditional vietnamese style, the foods are superb. The service is great, staffs are friendly. I didn't actually know much abt vietnamese food, the waiter were very professional in his way to recommend their traditional foods. They even taught me how to wrap the food with rice paper, which I really feel appreciate to their service. I was surprised the price of the foods are very reasonable & affordable.
    The location of Quan An Ngon is opposite Thong Nhat conterence Hall.
    They offer wider choice for dinner, go there before 7.00pm to avoid crowded, because this restaurant is popular to local people too. Appointment is neccessary on weekend.

Favorite Dish: Beef Noodle
    Vietnamese Pancake
    Mince Ball Rice Paper - ***highly recommend***
    Shrimp Salad

• Alliet03's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great food at great prices!

by Alliet03 Written Apr 15, 2006

Food Galore!

My husband and I sure lived up to the Singapore "favouritest" past time - food! From the tons of recommendations that I got from the other VT members here, we were at Quan An Ngon for 3 nights to sample the local delights. The food there was FANTASTIC!

Quan An Ngon was about 10mins walk from Rex Hotel and the place is packed! From the look of it, it is a very popular place amongst the locals and is fast becoming very popular with the Westerners and tourists. My advice is to go there early ~ 5+pm for dinner. Once 6pm sets in, you would have to wait very long before being allocated a seat.

The main eating area is shaped like an "U" with the centre of the place, dedicated to a bar. It is mainly an outdoor dining place (with some "rooms" available for indoor dining though my advice is to sit outside and enjoy the place & experience) and is decorated in a rustic setting with bright yellow walls and terracotta tiles. It also reminded me of Marche here in Singapore as the kitchen also has an "outdoor" concept - you can see your dishes being whipped up before your eyes if you are seated near to the stations.

Whart works for me at this place is that the portions are not too big. We could each order a Pho and an ice coffee, and then order another main dish to share - fried rice / macaroni (the latter was quite darn good!). In addition, we would also order 2 seafood dishes to share - clams / cockles / snails and another side dish such as Rice Paper Rolls (okok, I own up, we ordered like 2 to 4 of them each time...). My husband, having a very sweet tooth would end his meal with a dessert. He tried the Che Suong Sa Hot Luu which a fellow VT member recommended.The drink reminded me of "Chendol", a popular dessert here in Singapore, minus the gula melaka.

Favorite Dish: We tried the snails with the limegrass dip on our first day there. But we preferred the clams instead. The clams there were quite big and were not "fishy" at all. My husband and I also thoroughly enjoyed the fried macaroni there with minced beef; it was tasty and very fragrant. Our dinner there would typically cost about VND150,000. Great value!

• Business Travel

• Quan An Ngon: popular street foods in a nice and clean setting

by nvomy Written Jul 17, 2005
    quan an ngon

The price is higher than the same food elsewhere; but, it's nice that you can find many different things in the same place. You can also walk around to see how the food is prepared.

Favorite Dish: I ordered eggroll. It was okay. Not as good as I expected.

• NeverGrowOld's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: 3 IN 1 - I

by NeverGrowOld Updated Jun 2, 2005

Lying right in the heart of HCMC, close to Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Church and 30-4 Park, Quan An Ngon (Delicious Restaurant) is an ideal place for you to have a snack after your short city tour or to full your stomach with a wide selection of Vietnamese delicious dishes cooked by skilled chefs. I call it 3 in 1 cause they serve 3 regions' specialities in 1 restaurant.
    The restaurant is an old French-style village, decorated with banana trees, wooden tables & chairs and some red lanterns. Do not forget to “wash your eyes” by watching how the food is cooked and let good smells spreading out from big pots at open-air kitchens stimulate your gastric juice before eating.
    People like this restaurant not only because of nice place and nice food but also the way you are served. Cause restaurant owner used to work in a travel agent, he knows what to do to attract fellow dinners. If you are foreigners and do not have a Vietnamese friend to show you how to choose and eat Vietnamese food, waiters/waitresses here will help you with smiles.
    A place you should not miss.

Favorite Dish: I like every dishes in this restaurant

• Quan An Ngon: Great restaurant

by evertonrthebest Written Jan 20, 2005
    Quan an ngon

This was a great restaurant because it has really nice surroundings. It is always packed by locals and the food is really cheap. It was my favourite restaurant in our time in Vietnam.

Favorite Dish: The shredded chicken with sticky rice had a really good flavour to it.

• mnhaus's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Packed nightly

by mnhaus Written Dec 8, 2004

dining at ngon

We asked our hotel deskperson where to go for good but inexpensive food, and he told us to come here....when we saw the outside of this place we were a little worried as it looked nice, but expensive. There was a HUGE amount of people lining up also, and quite a lot of foreigners. So atleast, we thought, it would be safe. Anyway we were still seated within about 5 minutes, and although the menu covered just about everything in Vietnamese cuisine, everything was edible and of pretty good flavor. I wouldn't say it was the BESTmeal we had but solid and a great introduction to anyone venturing into VN food for the first time.

Favorite Dish: Can't pick a favorite.....the banh xeo was OK for a restaurant version.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

• misterzro's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM

There was a restaurant named "Quan Ngon" located exactly where is now the so-called "Quan An Ngon". "Quan An Ngon" is trying to take advantages from the fame that the previous brand has built up for years. How can they serve good food when they intentionally fool visitors from the beginning.

Hotels Near Quan An Ngon