Quan An Ngon, Ho Chi Minh City

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 34 Reviews

138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia

• Quan An Ngon
    by f8stop
  • mixed tapioca.  heaven in a glass.  woohoo!
    mixed tapioca. heaven in a glass. ...
    by f8stop
    Inside the restaurant
    by Markyreid
  • Quán ăn ngon: Local food in a great setting

by travellercheech Written Jul 20, 2004

Food amidst palm trees

This restaurant was recommended to us by a local tour operator when we asked for a place 'which serves good local where the locals go to'. What we were looking for was food that was neither adulterated for the foreign palette nor priced for the tourist wallet.

This is certainly the place to go if you want street-styled food in a relaxed and hygienic environment. The diffused lighting and banana plants makes an idyllic setting, transporting us away from the madness of traffic.

The restaurant serves a variety of noodles, rice dishes and finger food, all at a mere 50% markup from the roadside stall (a mere 50% because as a tourist, you probably do not want to try your luck with your stomach with the street variety). Not knowing what to order from the bewildering choice coupled with waiters who are not able to describe to you, we were invited to walk around the many stalls.

This place is very, very crowded during lunch hour. So, if you have the time, do go a bit later.

See this interesting writeup http://noodlepie.typepad.com/blog/2004/05/streetfree_stre.html

• NeverGrowOld's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: 3 IN 1 - I

by NeverGrowOld Updated Jun 2, 2005

Lying right in the heart of HCMC, close to Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Church and 30-4 Park, Quan An Ngon (Delicious Restaurant) is an ideal place for you to have a snack after your short city tour or to full your stomach with a wide selection of Vietnamese delicious dishes cooked by skilled chefs. I call it 3 in 1 cause they serve 3 regions' specialities in 1 restaurant.
    The restaurant is an old French-style village, decorated with banana trees, wooden tables & chairs and some red lanterns. Do not forget to “wash your eyes” by watching how the food is cooked and let good smells spreading out from big pots at open-air kitchens stimulate your gastric juice before eating.
    People like this restaurant not only because of nice place and nice food but also the way you are served. Cause restaurant owner used to work in a travel agent, he knows what to do to attract fellow dinners. If you are foreigners and do not have a Vietnamese friend to show you how to choose and eat Vietnamese food, waiters/waitresses here will help you with smiles.
    A place you should not miss.

Favorite Dish: I like every dishes in this restaurant

• Alliet03's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great food at great prices!

by Alliet03 Written Apr 15, 2006

Food Galore!

My husband and I sure lived up to the Singapore "favouritest" past time - food! From the tons of recommendations that I got from the other VT members here, we were at Quan An Ngon for 3 nights to sample the local delights. The food there was FANTASTIC!

Quan An Ngon was about 10mins walk from Rex Hotel and the place is packed! From the look of it, it is a very popular place amongst the locals and is fast becoming very popular with the Westerners and tourists. My advice is to go there early ~ 5+pm for dinner. Once 6pm sets in, you would have to wait very long before being allocated a seat.

The main eating area is shaped like an "U" with the centre of the place, dedicated to a bar. It is mainly an outdoor dining place (with some "rooms" available for indoor dining though my advice is to sit outside and enjoy the place & experience) and is decorated in a rustic setting with bright yellow walls and terracotta tiles. It also reminded me of Marche here in Singapore as the kitchen also has an "outdoor" concept - you can see your dishes being whipped up before your eyes if you are seated near to the stations.

Whart works for me at this place is that the portions are not too big. We could each order a Pho and an ice coffee, and then order another main dish to share - fried rice / macaroni (the latter was quite darn good!). In addition, we would also order 2 seafood dishes to share - clams / cockles / snails and another side dish such as Rice Paper Rolls (okok, I own up, we ordered like 2 to 4 of them each time...). My husband, having a very sweet tooth would end his meal with a dessert. He tried the Che Suong Sa Hot Luu which a fellow VT member recommended.The drink reminded me of "Chendol", a popular dessert here in Singapore, minus the gula melaka.

Favorite Dish: We tried the snails with the limegrass dip on our first day there. But we preferred the clams instead. The clams there were quite big and were not "fishy" at all. My husband and I also thoroughly enjoyed the fried macaroni there with minced beef; it was tasty and very fragrant. Our dinner there would typically cost about VND150,000. Great value!

• Business Travel

• mnhaus's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Packed nightly

by mnhaus Written Dec 8, 2004

dining at ngon

We asked our hotel deskperson where to go for good but inexpensive food, and he told us to come here....when we saw the outside of this place we were a little worried as it looked nice, but expensive. There was a HUGE amount of people lining up also, and quite a lot of foreigners. So atleast, we thought, it would be safe. Anyway we were still seated within about 5 minutes, and although the menu covered just about everything in Vietnamese cuisine, everything was edible and of pretty good flavor. I wouldn't say it was the BESTmeal we had but solid and a great introduction to anyone venturing into VN food for the first time.

Favorite Dish: Can't pick a favorite.....the banh xeo was OK for a restaurant version.

• JonnyVN's Profile Photo

Quan Ngon: BBQ world

by JonnyVN Written Feb 10, 2007

This rooftop terrace Vietnamese BBQ joint is probably my favorite, opens at 5pm is usually very busy. With great selection of BBQ dishes, cooked on a burner on your table, great seafood and beef with cheese is delicious. And most importantly the beer is cold, something often missing at these sort of places........beer with ice? mmmmmmm not for me

• f8stop's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Highly-recommended!

by f8stop Updated Apr 20, 2010

mixed tapioca.  heaven in a glass.  woohoo!

I don't know where to start. We simply love this resto!! The place was clean and tastefully decorated. The food and the service were excellent! (Most of the staff were English-speaking) The prices were surprisingly low considering the ambiance and the quality of food they serve.

I guess my only complaint about this restaurant is they refused to accept a $100 bill that had a slight crease in the middle. We had to replace it with another note. But we didn't think much of it since we've noticed that almost all establishments in Ho Chi Minh were quite picky when it comes to dollar bills with big denomination anyway...

Favorite Dish: The mixed tapioca with crushed ice and coconut milk was amazing!!! Loved it loved it loved it! (reminded me of the Halo-Halo in my homeland The Philippines)
    =)

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great food and atmosphere

by ValbyDK Updated Mar 3, 2013

Quan An Ngon is located in an old French colonial style building in the centre of Ho Chi Minh City - very close to the Reunification Palace. The name of the restaurant means "restaurant of delicious eating" - and it is a well-deserved name... The menu card consists of many regional Vietnamese specialities, and the food is absolute fantastic. My friend and I tried a few different small dishes (spring roll, salad, rice, seafood, and meat) and they were really great and tasty – and at very reasonable prices.

You can sit inside the restaurant or outside in an open-air-dinning area. The kitchen – or rather the small cooking stalls are also located outside, and it gives the restaurant a relaxed atmosphere. We had a table inside on the first floor and were placed together with a friendly Vietnamese family. They did their best to help us arranging the local dishes – great fun for all of us...

Quan An Ngon is very popular and always crowded at dinnertime. Book in advance or expect to wait for a table – however it is worth the wait…

• 34N118W's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: "Delicious Restaurant"

by 34N118W Updated Jul 12, 2003

Quan An Ngon In Saigon

The name translates as "Delicious Restaurant" in English. It certainly lives up to it's name too. Since I live in Vietnam, I occasionally get tired of eating the local food. However, I never tire of eating here. They have indoor or outdoor eating areas. It's nicely decorated in colorful paint and beautiful foliage. The cooking area is open to diners so you can see how they prepare Vietnam's traditional food. Ngon is popular with locals and expats alike. It's always busy so you may have to wait for a table.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite is the Ngon Special Salad. It contains banana leaf, shrimp, peanuts and many other 'delicious' ingredients.

• liemel225's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: authentic Viet

by liemel225 Written May 30, 2007

Quan An Ngon entrance

food: very Vietnamese - from starters to dessert, it serves cuisine famous around vietnam

ambiance: pretty crowded
    especially during weekends since both locals and foreigners go here to eat

surroundings: they got all corners covered specializing in diff aspect of the Vietnamese food.
    i saw one corner that only cooks all the varieties of Pho (noodle soup) by the way, make sure that you get a table already.

the menu doesnt not have pictures, just description of what is included in the dish you will order. so it might not be as what u imagine it to be.

a friend had pineapple ice cream, it was vanilla with 2 pineapple slices a tthe side. go figure! or if we just didn't read the menu well! hahaha! also other desserts are sweet but will be hot (i guess im just program to always expect cold dessert!)

Favorite Dish: the Vietnamese rice paper! it is a must try for the foreigners.
    they have different sets arrange for this,
    if you are vegetarian, you get to have all the greens you want
    or if you want meat with the greens, then a choice for pork, chicken, or beef
    and their waitresses are nice enough to even demonstrate for you HOW to wrap and eat this.
    the sauce can be spicy. but you need this to soften up the wrap.
    or else its a battle betweeen the teeth and the hand.
    but no matter who will win, you will end up with an unwrap food! scattered on your plate!
    c",)
    happy eating!

• stalks's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: so..so... good......

by stalks Written Sep 11, 2006

We read about this place from this site and was no way disappointed. It was fantastic.The minute we walked in we were shown all the way around the food stalls and had alot of the food explained to us in very limited english but enough to enable us to order Special Spring Rolls, Shrimp and sweet potato pancakes and fried squid. YUMBO. We were also recommended this restaurant by a local not realising we had already experienced the delights. If you're in Saigon you just must go !!!!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Everything --just want to go again and again

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Possibly the Definitive Saigon Dining Experience

by bpwarne Updated Dec 29, 2009

If you will be in Saigon for only a short time, THIS is the restaurant you must dine at. Large selection of both traditional and street foods within an enormous. dining venue consisting of multiple indoor rooms on different levels plus outdoor seating. A short walking tour around the outer perimeter of the restaurant, past all the 'stalls' where the food is prepared is a bit of a culinary experience alone, perhaps something not to be missed in itself. Simple dining, yet with an unexplainable air of sophistication, perhaps merely the affect of the building it is housed within itself. Busy, frequented by both locals and an increasing tourist/expat crowd, it can be noisy at times.
    I have read much about this restaurant over the last few years, there are many write ups/reviews on all the travel forums, so many in fact that I just could not believe it would be worth a visit. As often is the case, once a restaurant receives accolades from the likes of Lonely Planet and Frommer's, the service/quality goes down as the prices and patronage soar. This is what I had believed I would experience at Quan An Ngon. Well, I finally gave in and investigated the restaurant in Dec 2009 while living and working in Saigon and surprisingly, that was not the case. Food is exceptional, presentation is good, maybe very good in some instances, staff is friendly menu is quite large, decor and ambiance slightly festive but not over done and prices are actually on the cheap side for a restaurant of this quality in District 1, Saigon's premier dining area. For anyone traveling to or through Saigon, this is a must dining experience, especially if the length of your stay is limited. Rest assured the overwhelmingly loyal patronage this establishment enjoys by the locals is in no part attributable to the American or European Travel industry's or any popular travel forum's coverage.

Favorite Dish: Sugar Cane Prawns
    Rice Paper.

• Quan an ngon: Sugar cane prawn

by Clawdia78 Written Mar 18, 2008

Okay I guess I have to mark it under 'street vendor' as that's what all the chefs are. This is an awesome place for dinner or lunch, I'd read on here that it was a good place to eat, thought I'd ask our hotel manager where a good place to eat was, guess where he said.... that's right, Quan An Ngon. We ate here 4 times in 7 days, fanatstic food and service, if you don't knwo what to eat, just ask the staff, they will recommend something. It's special in the fact that you just rock up and they'll seat you within 10mins max. It has a buzzing atmosphere, not too lit up but not so dim that you can't see what you're eating.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the sugar cane prawn (shared it with me), was delicious, I had rice with pork and beef, another delicious dish, then again we ate here 4 times, I can't remember what else I had but all the food was fantastic. Have to try the ice-cream in young coconut...... that was awesome, and the fresh fruit shakes too (I liked banana), try not to eat fruit in Vietnam, when you get home you'll be sorely disappointed, we got home and found the fruit here bites. I like all the dishes, can't really pick a favourite. Just pick something, if you don't like it, order something else, it's so cheap you can afford to... I don't think you'll not like it though.

• caren293's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Great Vietnamese Restaurant

by caren293 Updated May 15, 2006

This restaurant was recommended by my vietnamese friend while I was looking for local food to try out on my visit to Saigon. Quan An Ngon deserve to be highly recommended, despite its elaborate decoration in traditional vietnamese style, the foods are superb. The service is great, staffs are friendly. I didn't actually know much abt vietnamese food, the waiter were very professional in his way to recommend their traditional foods. They even taught me how to wrap the food with rice paper, which I really feel appreciate to their service. I was surprised the price of the foods are very reasonable & affordable.
    The location of Quan An Ngon is opposite Thong Nhat conterence Hall.
    They offer wider choice for dinner, go there before 7.00pm to avoid crowded, because this restaurant is popular to local people too. Appointment is neccessary on weekend.

Favorite Dish: Beef Noodle
    Vietnamese Pancake
    Mince Ball Rice Paper - ***highly recommend***
    Shrimp Salad

• edelng's Profile Photo

Quan An Ngon: Nice food at good price

by edelng Written Jul 1, 2007

Most food are prepared in open concept kitchen. A lot of locals eating at the restaurant too. 3 of us ordered Vietnamese pancake, spring rolls, grilled prawns, crab meat soup, cuttlefish, noodles, beer, fruit juice and the vietnamese desserts. Cost only US$15.00. As we had no idea what to order, the waiter recommended most of the dishes.

Favorite Dish: Spring rolls and dessert.

• Asian food court: EXciting experience & great food

by Cellini1 Written Dec 25, 2010

Don't miss this. Browse many kitchens surrounding courtyard in this old mansion and choose to try what delights you to try. Staff are busy but will help if you persist. Don't be afraid of fresh vegetables.

Favorite Dish: Spring rolls.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

• misterzro's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM

There was a restaurant named "Quan Ngon" located exactly where is now the so-called "Quan An Ngon". "Quan An Ngon" is trying to take advantages from the fame that the previous brand has built up for years. How can they serve good food when they intentionally fool visitors from the beginning.

Hotels Near Quan An Ngon