Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City

boat station
    by machomikemd
    dried fruits, rice wine and honey
    traffic hehehe
  • aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Written Jul 5, 2006

Mekong Delta

I had been looking forward to this....and wasn't dissapointed. The peaceful ambience as we slowely drifted through the palm lined canels was unforgettable. It was all I had ever anticipated and more!!

• Cruise
    • Photography

• swervie's Profile Photo

Up a Lazy River...

by swervie Updated Aug 7, 2006

PBR Street Gang--Do you copy?

Our guide suggested we take a local bus from the Chinatown bus station in HCMC to My Tho, the nearest part of the Mekong Delta from HCMC. It was a ride I won't soon forget. It was probably one of the loudest and most obnoxious experiences of my life--yet, at the same time, it was an incredible experience or REAL Vietnam. A wide range of people rode with us, from students who stared curiously but were to shy to practice their English on us, to babies being handed to us to hold by strangers, to the various food and trinket vendors, to the screaming "lane clearers" who yelled constantly at the motorbikes to get out of they way as the bus veered over to make a stop along the way, to the woman motorbike rider who wrecked in front of our speeding bus and was almost (actually?) hit as we skidded to a halt, to the old women who couldn't seem to get enough of that durian smell on themselves, and the ever honking driver who seemed unaffected by it's jarring blasts that eminated from every side of the bus.

Once there, we hired cyclo drivers to run us about to see various pagodas and to hustle us to the public ferry across the mighty Mekong River to Ben Tre. In Ben Tre, we hired a private longboat to motor us up the canals to see amazingly lush jungle waterways with palm and coconut canopies. We ate, drank and took a nap in a hammock afterward. We also learned that you can make almost anything out of a cocont tree...

• Eco-Tourism

• kenningst's Profile Photo

by kenningst Written Aug 26, 2008

I would say that almost 99% of the people I know who comes to Saigon makes a trip to the Mekong Delta. I did mine with Sinf Cafe and did not regret it a single bit. Will be good if your tour guide does a little history explanation of Mekong Delta and its uses during the war.

There are loads around Saigon which offers different prices and routes. Just make sure you do some comparing before you hop on to one.

• Mekong Delta trip - cheap but very worth it!

by baby156 Written Aug 24, 2011

During our trip to Ho Chi Minh city, we joined 2-day tour to Mekong Delta. It was very nice experience. We visited local coconut candy home-factory, watched live performance of folk songs, sat on the boat to go to floating market and a lot more. We spent a night at Can Tho city. The tour guide introduced to us to have dinner on Ninh Kieu boat. Thumb up! We loved all local Southern Vietnam food that we had chance to eat during the trip.
    The 2-day tour costs about 20USD per pax, including 1 lunch, 1 hotel night and 1 breakfast which I thought is very worthy :).
    You can opt for a choice of 3 to 5-day tour which will travel to Phnom Penh by boat from there as well. In my group, some of Americans joined Phnom Penh tour, so they spent a night elsewhere, in stead of Can Tho city.

The tour agency I joined is Sinh Cafe. Not sure if they are "real" Sinh Cafe, but the service is not bad.
    Here is their address: 248 De Tham St, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

• Eco-Tourism

• fbvdloo's Profile Photo

Mekong Delta Tour: Don't take Sinh Travel

by fbvdloo Written Jan 17, 2006

During Mekong Boat tour

The trip could have been nice if only we wouldn't have spend so much time on the bus. The hotels were fine, the breakfast offered (free of charge) were a joke, a piece of bread (1000 dong) and some toxic jam and at the second hotel in Can Tho we got some acid juice probably imported from Tsjernobyl.
    Tourguide
    Absolutely horrible: the guy kept on repeating his jokes (look we paid for tourguide not a Jerry Seinfeld wannabe), we were forced to eat in overpriced restaurants (they took us to place where there were no alternatives). It was even that bad that once when everyone was sleeping in bus (cause we were already stuck there 2 hours we were forced to get out solely because the tourguide, the driver and his little elf got a free drink and some food. No there were 30 people waiting for them to finish their food before we could go back to HCMC.
    Boattrips
    Were ok but too short and we got dropped off at places where foreigners can get ripped off. FIne I understand but why on earth can't they tell anything about the significance of the different industries we are visiting (though I doubt whether crocodile farming has any economic significance for the Meking Delta Region). At the boat-ride in Ca Do we were extorted 2 give our rower a tip (asking for 15.000 to 50.000 dong which is between 1 and 3 USD). When I refused since I am Dutch :-) the women stopped peddling, now there we are stuck in middle of mekong river with a women complaining that she has a baby (remember abortions are pretty much free in Vietnam and condoms can be get anywhere from the goverment since Vietnam is one of most progressive family planning countries in the world). Anyway, so this was quit intimidating.
    Cham village
    Ya, 10 little begging kids selling cakes. My gosh what a waste of time was that visit. Well for those who never visited a Mosque it must be nice, but boy oh boy
    Advise
    If you at the place in near the Cambodia go the big expensive Victoria hotel and indulge yourself for an absolutely amazing dinnner (8 usd a person but very woth it

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Mekong Delta Tours

by Blatherwick Written Oct 10, 2004

Mekong

The Mekong Delta tours are worth taking. They are cheaper than it would be to do it yourself. However, remember that cheaper does not always mean better. There are different tours that take you to different places and for different amounts of time.

You will get a glimpse into the true Vietnamese countryside. Cities that can be visited include My Tho and Ben Tre for the short tours. Cities such as Can Tho and Chau Doc can be seen in longer tours. On the tour I took we went down canals by boat. We visited a candy producing factory. We sipped tea with honey while listening to a Vietnamese folk singer and being shown the bee hives that the honey came from. On the longer tours you can see the larger floating markets of the river.

• stevebruce's Profile Photo

Biking Mekong Delta

by stevebruce Written Aug 10, 2011

Mekong River floating market

We had a great trip and enjoyed our time together in Vietnam biking together on a group trip.

We did enjoy our trip and stay in Vietnam. We thought the trip was well organized. Mr Phuc, our guide was very friendly, knowledge, funny during our trip and easy to work with and the driver Chong was also fine and very friendly. We enjoyed the ride in the late afternoon the best. It was on quiet roads and canals and we could see the daily life. The homestay was interesting and unique. Our guide was flexible and had nice trails to ride on.

We saw lots of nice countryside areas along the Mekong - very interesting and informative. The driver was always there as planned with some nice fruit snacks and cold water during the day.

We definitely recommend Active Travel Asia to our friends who plan to travel Vietnam in coming time.

• Cycling
    • Adventure Travel

• jolou's Profile Photo

Mekong Delta tour

by jolou Updated Apr 24, 2005

Sinh Cafe

We went on the 3 day, 2 nights Mekong Delta region tour with the Sinh cafe. It was well worth it and excellent value for money. Any more info about this tour is under my Can Tho page as I couldn't find anywhere better to put it:

Jo's Mekong Delta tour review & tips

If you are returning to Saigon after a tour (ie not exiting via Cambodia) you can leave any luggage you don't need at the Sinh Cafe which was handy.

There's a lot of tour companies running mekong trips. The sinh cafe was very good but I'm sure the competition is of a high standard too so it's worth shopping around.

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Sailing through the Mekong

by NYTim Written Nov 19, 2009

Leaving the port

It was a nice one day trip to the Delta. Most of it was so serene and quiet in amongst the lush tropical forest. I should have spent more than just one day there but my flight left the next morning :(

• Photography

• neris29's Profile Photo

Mekong - Not that fantastic

by neris29 Written Sep 6, 2008

If you come from South East Asia, I would not recommend the Mekong Delta tour which brings tourists to see the usual floating markets, rice paper making , coconut candy making "factories". The places that they bring you are specially created for tourists, so it is hardly an authentic experience. I was espeically disappointed by the floating market because by the time we arrived, there was nothing except a few barges with watermelons. The river itself is not particularly pretty and in fact quite muddy looking which cannot be blamed on anyone as that is what one would expect from a delta anyway. Not to mention that it can get quite hot. It is just not worth the time as the trip takes the whole day and you would probably get a more by walking aroung Chinatown

• screamcheese's Profile Photo

Relax...

by screamcheese Written Oct 22, 2008

We rode a boat to Mekong Delta.. it was pretty hot that time so most of my relatives were wearing hats, which they bought just before our boat ride. The island had a lot of souvenir shops in it. We spent a couple of minutes tasting the tea with honey and calamansi (which by the way was so yummy). They were also selling Royal Jelly. It was said to give wonders to your skin:D

On the way back to our motorboat, we were asked to ride a canoe. It's similar to the ones from my country but this time, the person rowing the canoe was standing up at one end wearing a cute vietnamese hat. It was such a great experience since the view was perfect:D

Fish Cages and Fish Aquaculture

the fish pens

The Mekong River Delta is one of the powerhouse cultured fresh fish exporters in the world due to the abdundance of nutrients needed for fish aquaculture as many top soils from the upper mekong is carried away to the mekong delta where stays and with the nutrients that go with it. plus the area has many microorganic planxtons that fishes eat hence a proliferation of fish pens & cages here for fish breeding. a tour of the mekong delta will have their last stop along the fish pens & cages lining the mekong delta and visit the station and you can feed the fish with bread or fish meal.

Among the seafood exports that the mekong delta produces are the Tiger Prawn Shrimps, the Basa Fish (Big catfish also known as "River Cobbler") and the Big Head Carp (also known as "Cream Dory Fish").

• Fishing
    • Cruise

My Tho at Mekong Delta!

At Mekong Delta

This will be a general overview of a whole day mekong delta tour. I will have particular tips on each.

As all deltas, it receives the bounty of the siltation from the upper Mekong, and as such is a very rich and lush area, covered with rice fields. It produces about half of the total of Vietnam's agricultural output, and is the place for timeless sceneries of farmers planting or harvesting rice.

The Mekong splits in Cambodia into two main rivers, the Bassac (Hậu Giang) and the First river (Tiền Giang), then in Vietnam into a more complex system, creating a maze of small canals, rivers and arroyos interspersed with villages and floating markets.

Life in the Mekong Delta revolves much around the river, and all the villages are often accessible by river rather than by road. The ‘rice bowl’ of Vietnam, the Mekong Delta, with its nine river branches, low-lying rice paddies, thick mangroves, palm trees, bustling floating markets and enterprising fishing communities, is a fascinating slice of Vietnamese culture.

Activities of the Mekong Delta day tour include visits into a Bee Farm, A Snake Farm, Tasting Local Wines and Elixirs, Fruits, Lunch with Elephant Ear Fish, Fish Farm tour with the Starting point at My Tho City, capital of Tinh Tien Giang Province.

price of tour is $ 26 and is available everyday

• Wine Tasting

Mekong Delta 2

Fish Cages in Mekong Delta My Tho

This is a continuation or part 2 of the pictures of Mekong Delta Tour that I wrote here.

price of tour is $ 26 and is available everyday

• Wine Tasting

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Visit the Mekong Delta

by brewjohnson Written Aug 24, 2002

The Mekong Delta is a place I'd heard of long before I was there (mainly because of U.S. made Vietnam War movies). Even if you haven't heard of it, it is a worthwhile place to visit. The Delta provides Vietnam with much of its food supply and there are numerous small villages that allow you to get a good idea of Vietnamese village life.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

Comments

View all Ho Chi Minh City hotels