Thieves & Beggers, Ho Chi Minh City

Know about this?

• PROTECT ALL THAT YOU ARE TRAVELLING WITH,,
    PROTECT ALL THAT YOU ARE TRAVELLING...
    by DennyP
  • bpacker's Profile Photo

Conned on a Joy Ride

by bpacker Updated Dec 1, 2004

The homicidal cyclo

TIP: Personally, I have nothing against cyclos even though I was harassed to death by them. But it just pays to be careful, especially if you are a solo female traveller or even a 100kg American male!Yup, I think after reading these 2 real life-accounts, you just just might be a tad bit more careful.

Story 1:
    A new Aussie friend told me how she was nearly conned of USD20 when she took a joy ride on one of those quaint cyclos. The driver took her to a God-forsaken district and threatened not to cycle her back until she paid him! Well, the good news is that she outwitted him back and said.....

a) She wasn't American so she only had dong;
    b) She didn't have that much dong with her with her in the first place!

Thumbs up to her. She paid him half the amount and got back safe and sound to tell me this tale. *

Story 2:
    Recent Update: Never ever hop unto a cyclo for sight-seeing unless you are God-Dammed sure about the asking price! My husband's American colleague recently got harassed by an unusually aggressive cyclo when he did just that. Yeah, what was supposed to be a quaint, Vietnamese cyclo-sightseeing experience turned to something more reminiscent from "The Fugitive" after the cyclo demanded 1 million dong for half a day's efforts.

Why the fugitive?

Well, after my husband's colleague refused to pay 1 million dong ( He gave him a lower fee ) , he was chased around Vietnam until he took refuge in his hotel. Hotel security was called and the cyclo disappeared . But after that, the colleague had a serious case of paranoia each time he left the hotel. At the back of this mind, there was a cyclo lurking around with homicidal tendencies so he stuck to my poor hubby like a remora (sucker fish) after that *

Wanna avoid being mugged by children? click on b'packer's hcmc page to find out more

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Vietnamese Children

by bpacker Updated Dec 1, 2004

Goodie! Let's aim for the big white guy..

This is not really a big problem espcially if you keep your backpack locked but be careful of these innocent cuties, especially,if you're a Caucasian. Vietnamese children will usually target you and badger you to buy postcards, hats, little grasshoppers made from grass, etc. It's very difficult to refuse them because they are such sweethearts. But giving money to one will encourage the rest to swarm to you like bees to honey. Also, do take note that while you are paying attention to one cute child, another could be helping himself to your wallet when you're not watching!

Update: Well, even if you're not Caucasian, you'd better take note of this warning as well. My poor hubby recently got pickpocketed in HCMC, or shall I say backpack-pocketed? Some light-fingered fella unzipped his backpack and fished out his new cell phone. Amazingly, his wallet was left untouched. Well, not so surprising, if you consider that it looks like yesterday's lunchbag

Wanna avoid getting mugged by a cyclo rider? click on b'packer's hcmc page to find out more

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Hustling cyclo-drivers

by ValbyDK Updated Mar 3, 2013

My friend and I were approached by a couple of cyclo drivers just outside the Ho Chi Minh City Museum, and we agreed on paying them around 3 USD for a short trip to the Reunification Palace.

I have always thought that tuk-tuks and cyclos were a great form of transportation in the bigger Asian cities, and have never had any problems at all – but not this time…

The cyclo drivers didn’t take the direct route to the Palace, but they explained they wanted to show us the People Committee and an Indian Hindu Temple (read other warning). But when we were getting closer to the Reunification Palace the cyclo drivers took us into a back alley and now wanted around 75 USD for the half hour trip!!! The atmosphere was bad and we felt a little threatened - and ended up paying them 20 USD each to get away!!!

Before the trip, one of the drivers showed us a book with recommendations from other tourists – I now assume it was fake – or stolen…

• stedeb's Profile Photo

Watch your jewellry

by stedeb Written Nov 16, 2003

I was wearing a gold chain around my neck along with my wedding band was the only jewellry I was wearing. While waiting to cross the road a young man on a motor bike motioned to me that I should remove my chain. I assumed he was giving me a warning as he didn't speak English we couldn't converse. I took his advice and took it off unti I got home. The Lonely Planet does warn against jewellry wearing as there are thieves on motor bikes who snatch your stuff while they drive off. We had none of these problems but took the precautions just in case.

• perseushermes's Profile Photo

Begger Children

by perseushermes Written May 20, 2006

When I was at Andong Market or even at Ben Thanh Market , there were children beggers asking for money.

Warning : the moment you give a kid saom 2000Vmd, more kids will arrive and you will have a handful.

Advise : Don't give a single Vmd although your heart may pity them.

• tropical459's Profile Photo

Dishonest Motor bike and Cycle transportation.

by tropical459 Written Apr 25, 2009

I was on my own in Ho Chi Minh City and was obviously regarded as easy pickings. I encountered 'Chin' he called to me as I was exchanging my money from an 'ATM' He showed me his credentials and photographs of holiday makers who had written very good things about him in his little book.
    I was relieved as he made me feel safe and offered to take me to the local markets on the back of his bike, he advised me to hold on to my camera as other passing bikes would snatch it out of my hand. I asked him to drop me off at Tourist Information as when I had enquired how much he was going to charge me he had said "give me what you think, no problem" I thought the best way to give him a fair amount would be to ask at 'information' the going rate. The man told me that he thought 20000 was the amount I should pay for the length of time I was planning to spend with 'Chin' on the back of his motor bike was fair.
    It was when I told him I was hungry and he offered to take me to a restaurant things got a little shaky. First of all he sat down and polished off 3 beers! I thought, hang on a minute if I stay much longer I am going to be riding behind a piddled driver. The food was awful and the place was questionable. I have eaten in many local cafes and was expecting the price to reflect the building. But 'no' the bill came and cost me around 25 dollars! I was furious. Chin tried to tell me that I had been eating in Cambodia and things were always cheaper there, I retorted that my hotel room in Ho Chi Ming was only 30 dollars. The penny finally dropped that I was being taken for a ride.
    Luckily he dropped me outside the market and then his true colours were revealed he showed me another price list and wanted 25 dollars for my trip. I told him that when I had been in the tourist information they had told me to give him 5 dollars 10 dollars at the most. In a short time his friends had surrounded us. I ended up paying him about 20 dollars and considered myself lucky.
    You would have thought I would have learned by this error but 'no' the next day I was approached by a cycle rider. This time I arranged a price before I got into the carriage. But again at the end he took out his book and argued that I had spend more time than agreed. He pulled up down the road from my hotel, it seems they are afraid to take you to the hotel in case you run inside for backup. He got lots of dong off me, probably around another 20 dollars.
    Be warned as I walked up the street I saw two people pass me being peddled to their doom, I shouted, I wouldn't go far if I were you they are going to demand a lot more money than you think, they just smiled and waved.
    Do not use the motor bikes or cycles unless you have really, really agreed a price. I found if I got into a taxi I had to give him the money agreed beforehand or they ask for a lot more at the end of the journey.
    I will probably get diddled again if I return as they are sooooo goood at it!

• mnhaus's Profile Photo

Small Children

by mnhaus Written Dec 9, 2004

I had more problems with this in Pham Ngu Lao probably because of the high number of tourists...but they are present everywhere in HCMC. Many of these kids are 10 & under and try to sell postcards or gum. Some will try to get you to play a version of a shell game. Anyway watch your pockets around them. I know they're cute, their English is usually quite good, but their stories are always the same and oftentimes in groups they can be quite quick with their fingers. Just be careful.

• dbestofaman's Profile Photo

Thieves in Sai Gon

by dbestofaman Updated May 14, 2010

Pham Ngu Lao area, District 1, HCMC

Last night I had just finished having dinner at Pho Quynh Restaurant right at the corner of Pham Ngu Lao St. and Do Quang Dao St. The table is right at the entrance of the restaurant and I was sitting there with Pham Ngu Lao St, on my back. I took my cigarette from my waist bag and put the bag on the chair in front of me. When I was about to light my cigarette, suddenly, a man on a motorbike came into the restaurant and grabbed my bag. He came from behind me and I didn't notice until he took my bag. The owner of the restaurant was sitting beside me, facing Do Quang Dao St., but failed to (or pretending to not) recognize the thief. How could a man with a motorbike came in to the restaurant without him noticed what was about to happen?

When I saw the man grabbed my bag, I ran after him and cried for help. He went fast along Do Quang Dao St. and managed to disappear after turning right at Buy Vien St.. People looked at me, but no one talked to me. A white man silently and carefully came out of bar and asked me what happened and told me where the police office is.

I was so confused as not even one local person tried to help or even approach me to just show curiosity. Maybe they were not so curious as this snatch-and-run thing happens everyday in tourists area of District 1. They seem to be affraid of getting involved in my case.

I went to the police office on Buy Vien St. to just being asked to come back in the morning. What a great officer they have!

I went back to the corner of Pham Ngu Lao St. and met a motorbike-taxi rider. He told me he recognized the thief. He was there when everything happened. He said, "That is a bad guy. He took cocaine and become a bad person." I thought he should've known all the sequential events.

I lost my passport, money, ATM cards, credit cards, IDs, and other valuable documents. Now, here I am staying at the hotel without any money! The consulate is closed and I need to wait until tomorrow to report the loss of my passport!

Oh... there is one worse case. A white lady was sleeping on Buy Vien St. for hours after loosing her bag, passport, and money and went to the police office without anybody there speak English. WHAT A GREAT CITY!!!

• DineshKapur's Profile Photo

chain snatchers

by DineshKapur Written Jun 28, 2012

I was staying at a hotel at Distt centre 1 and morn at around 6.30 am when I went for a walk ,In broad daylight 2 guys on motorbike came and one of them tried to snatch the gold chain ,I was wearing. They were in speed and could not reach my chain. My T shirt was badly torn but my chain got saved.
    I was lucky and I would say that Ho chi Min is a city where one has to be Very very careful with Money / wallet / purse / ornaments

• DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS AND BAGSNATCHERS

by DennyP Written Feb 3, 2012

PROTECT ALL THAT YOU ARE TRAVELLING WITH,,

HO CHI MIN CITY (SAIGON)
    When just visiting or travelling through the country of Vietnam BEWARE of bagsnatchers and pickpockets. This is a tourist "ripp off" Mecca..Seems as economies do it hard the tourist is the focus of "easy money". Always be aware of your surroundings here especially where there are lots of people...and that's everywhere. I have seen first hand at the ease at which some travellers holidays were ruined by being just a little careless. Drive by motorbike bag snatchers here a frequent. Most of the time that "ripp offs" occur is when the victim is concentrating on something else.They usually work in groups so be aware..The main places to be aware of are busy Markets, bus and train stations, busy restaurants and bars even crowded streets ...anywhere that there are crowds!!

Never put your bag down without some form of personal restraint.
    Always carry your bag around your neck..not just over your shoulder.
    Don't flash cash in public. try and have notes folded singly in your pocket having them in order of denominations, so that you can take out a small note or a larger note, one at a time.
    Don't fall for the friendly hug scam..
    Try and NOT keep all your money in one place...have a seperate "stash" on your body somewhere..maybe a body belt!!
    I always carry enough in travellers cheques to get me home..I know a lot of people think that they are "old hat" BUT,...if you lose them you can get them replaced. Unlike cash and cards.. They are as good as cash to you!!...They don't expire , if you don't use them on this trip use them next time.. I still have TC's that I have had for five years..I always carry them with me and if I do use them I replace them. Like I did when I was recently robbed in Mongolia.
    REMEMBER--THESE PEOPLE ARE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO ---THEY DO IT FOR A LIVING

• Hiking and Walking

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Begging kids

by BorneoGrrl Updated Feb 1, 2007

When walking in Ho Chi Minh city, I was approached by children begging for money on several occasions. It is a sad sight because they are so young and sometimes with torn clothing. I've come across beggars before, be it in Asia, Africa or Europe.

The kids here are quite daring, they would tug at my shirt and keep asking. As with any country, there is always the risk of getting pickpocket. So be careful!

• Business Travel

• KhanhLy's Profile Photo

Pickpocketers are very common

by KhanhLy Written Nov 19, 2004

Watch out for your valuables!!! Leave them at home if you value them. As for the ladies carrying monies. Use one of those cross-shoulder small backpack and walk with your hands over the zipper. Or better yet, I used one of those small fabric purse that you put jewelries in. They have a zipper and a snap flap on them. Pin it to the inside waistband of your pants/shorts. All the beggars have sixth sense, as soon as they hear a zipper, they are all over you. If you want to give them something, put a few dollars in your pocket before leaving your hotel.

• juunbug25's Profile Photo

PICK POCKETS

by juunbug25 Written Oct 18, 2007

The last time I went to Ho Chi Minh City, I had my wallet picked. Luckily it was not my "real" wallet. I keep my real one in my jacket pocket and the fake one in my pants' back pocket. The funny thing is, I didn;t even realize it until much later that it had been picked. I suggest people to take cautuion with their wallets.

• Experienced chain snatching

by MDFPARIS Written Oct 1, 2008

I was discussing with 3 of my friends on the platform, while a bike came behind me with two guys on it. And one of them snatched my chain i was wearing. You hardly have anytime to react. May be if i had read these discussions before i would have been cautious enough to avoid wearing chains visible. Well, i would not name saigon as a dangerus place, it is certainly a beautiful place.

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo

Pickpockets

by jmmorgan Written Apr 14, 2003

We were told to beware of pickpockets. I kept my valuables hanging around my neck, inside my shirt, where they were totally invisible.
    Only once did I feel a hand in my pocket and that was when surrounded by kids.

Instant Answers: Ho Chi Minh City

Comments

View all Ho Chi Minh City hotels