Hanoi Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Hanoi

DOG MEAT IN HANOI

by balhannah Written Sep 23, 2009

Dog meat is still eaten in Vietnam.
    Our guide told us , that we would never have dog meat served to us, as it is classed as a luxury.
    Certain breeds of dogs are raised on farms and slaughtered for their meat.
    The raising and consumption of dog meat has been linked to the transmission of rabies to humans.

On my walking around Hanoi, I came across a street in which every shop was selling "DOG"

Dog for sale

• balhannah's Profile Photo

ROW BOATS....AND THE ROWER!

by balhannah Written Sep 23, 2009

On a visit to Tam Coc, take a look how some of the ladies row their boats.

Would you believe, that they ROW WITH THEIR FEET.

Actually, the photographer who took my photo, rowed alongside our rowboat, paddling with her feet, and taking the photo at the same time!

Rowing with her feet!
    • Sailing and Boating

SNAKE & SCORPION WINE

by balhannah Written Sep 23, 2009

In Vietnam, you will see a lot of Snake Or Scorpion wine for sale at Tourist shops. These can be bought in all size bottles, and are very attractive to buy for a 'DIFFERENT SOUVENIR'
    The small bottles only cost $1 - $2.

Just be aware of what you can bring back into your home country.
    You may not be allowed to take it home, and end up losing it at customs!

At least it is cheap, so declare, and see what happens, it makes a good talking point!

What you can buy!

BIRDS

by balhannah Written Sep 22, 2009

When walking the Old Quarter of Hanoi, I could hear some Birds singing. There, above the street stall, was a Bird in a Cage. From then on, I started to look up and take note, I saw quite a few more, great pets for people who live in units.

Pet Bird

GIFTS

by balhannah Written Sep 22, 2009

So, you are in Vietnam with your girfriend, and you want to impress her!
    Why not buy her a gift like the Vietnamese do!

Pictured, is what my Cyclo Driver told me, what Boyfriends buy and give to their Vietnamese girlfriends.

I actually did see a young man on a Motorbike, with a woman on the back, and she was holding one of these.
    Is it chocolates, I don't know, just a different gift idea.

Present for the girlfriend

FUNERALS

by balhannah Written Sep 22, 2009

On your travels around Vietnam, you are sure to see the large Wreaths for sale, the same as the ones in my photo. Some places they vary in colour a little.
    I did see a couople of Funerals, and at a stop in a country town, heard the music. I was on tour, and we all wondered what it was, so our guide filled us in on Funerals in Vietnam.

WE WERE TOLD, .....Vietnamese attach great importance to care for their parents in their old age and to mourn them in death, and that they mourn the dead parent for 3 years. Sometimes, mourning even begins beforehand!
    At this time, the eldest child suggests a name for the dying person for it is considered unfortunate to continue the same name used in life after the relative has died.

According to ritual, when the parent has died, the children do not, as yet, accept the idea of death.
    They place a chopstick between the teeth of the deceased and place the body on a mat on the floor in an effort to "bring it back to life".
    The next rite in this tradition is for the eldest son or daughter to take a shirt the deceased has worn in life and to wave it in the air and call upon the soul of the dead to return to the body.
    After this rite has been completed, the descendants then perform the ceremonial cleansing of the body.
    The corpse is bathed, hair is combed and nails clipped.
    Money, gold and rice are placed in the mouth of the dead to indicate that the deceased has left this world without want or hunger.
    The corpse is then wrapped in white cloth and placed in a coffin and members of the family form a honor guard around the clock until a propitious time for burial is selected.

AND.......I also had a motorbike whizz past my Taxi, it had a Coffin stapped to the back, they sure were getting a fast ride!!

Funeral Wreaths

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

The Bicycle Is Still a Transport Option, for Now

by AKtravelers Written Oct 27, 2008

If Hanoi is like the other rising Asian cities of Taipei and Beijing, the bicycle as a transportation mode is fading fast. While I saw plenty of bicycles in the steets, the predominant conveyance was the motor scooter, and the older people sticking with their bicycles clearly seemed out of place -- literally being passed by the new era.

Bicycles are still common in Hanoi, for now

• BluePinay's Profile Photo

Asking for Discount

by BluePinay Written Sep 4, 2008

When buying stuff, be pleasant. Smile and haggle. Usually, they charge more for tourists. So always look around first before buying. Since most of them do not speak English, but they know the word,"Discount". So, just say discount with a smile.

My great finds are all in here

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Bonjour Vietnam/Hello Vietnam

by cochinjew Written Jul 31, 2008

Pham Quynh Anh is a Belgian of Vietnamese extraction, thus a Viet Khieu, is a talented young singer who released a song written for her over the net which has become the favourite of millions of people all over the viet khieu world.
    the words are very touching and you can watch it on youtube.com look under quynh anh and hello vietnam
    The English lyrics of Bonjour Viet Nam, as circulated on the Internet, are provided below:

Hello Viet Nam

by Marc Lavoine

Tell me this strange and difficult name to pronounce

that I have carried since birth

Tell me about the old empire and the features of my slanted eyes

describing me better than what you dare not say

I only know about you from images of war

A movie by Coppola and the angry helicopters

Someday I will go there, someday, I’ll say hello to your soul

Someday I will go there (to) say hello to you, Viet Nam.

Tell me about my colour, my hair and my small feet

that I have carried since birth

Tell me about your house, your street, tell me this unknown entity

The floating markets and the wooden sampans

I only know about my country via the photos of war

A film by Coppola and the angry helicopters

Someday I will go there, one day I’ll say hello to my soul

Someday I will go there (to) say hello to you, Viet Nam.

The temples and stone-carved Buddha statues for my fathers

The stooping women in rice fields for my mothers

Praying in the light to see my brothers again

Touch my soul, my roots, my land...

Someday I will go there, some day I’ll say hello to my soul.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Les amoureux des bancs publics

by kokoryko Updated Mar 5, 2008

No, it is not voyeurism! In Hanoi, you may be surprised by the number of young couples, walking hand in hand, sitting on benches, kissing as if nobody is around. . . refreshing view to me, optimism, just beauty of life! Nothing more, and it remembers me an old song from Georges Brassens, an anarchist poet and singer, famous in France in the sixty-seventies. . . listen to Les amoureux qui se bécotent sur les bancs publics, which mocks people scandalized by what they see on public benches. . . . I blurred the faces of the protagonists, when it is possible to recognize them, I do not want to trigger possible conjugal problems!
    Is it not refreshing?

Tortoise Tower Hoan Kiem Lake In a park On the shore of a lake Ho Tay Lake

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Biker is a very strenuous job in Hanoi!

by kokoryko Written Jan 19, 2008

During the day, walking in the streets, you may see lots of these guys having a rest on their bike! The pictures here demonstrate following: if these guys are able to sleep on their narrow bike, they must be very dexterous in the traffic! So do not be scared when taking that kind of transportation, guys sleeping on their bikes must be good at driving. But all guys sleeping on their bikes are not taxis, so do not wake them up for a ride, you never know in what mood they wake up. . . . . Ah! The guy on the third picture is a goods transporter, he has no space on his vehicle. . . . and the biker on the fourth picture just woke up

I could not do that! How nice to sleep. . . . Delivery will wait. . . . I even take off my shoes. . .

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Prepare to fight for the fatherland!

by kokoryko Written Jan 19, 2008

The Chinese invaded Viet Nam several times, the French colonised Tonkin and Annam, the Americans “napalmed” villages and cities and defoliated thousands of square kilometres of forests, but all learned to know the bitter taste of defeat!
    Military training is apparently a very important custom in Vietnam, and walking in the streets you may often come across groups of young people, school pupils attending military training. The photographs here have been taken in public parks (in the morning), on several occasions south and east of Hoan Kiem lake.
    I personally HATE militarism, military marches, weapons, uniforms, “homogeneous” crowds or herds etc. etc. . . but have respect for freedom, people who defend their faith, ideas, beliefs, their group or person. . . well, no space here to discuss about! Thinking about with historical background and examples is part of real tourism to me. And here, my understanding is that recent history may in some way be responsible for these brainwashing sessions, which are felt necessary by government and people. Sad but I can understand in some way
    Ah, the brainwashing session is not that bad, the young people smile and wink at the foreigner looking at them!(Picture5)

Listen guys! look, they are not all concentrated. Learning defense (or agression?) No video game, this is real game!! Your turn. . . And here other victims of brainwashing. . .

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Wedding season in Hanoi ?

by kokoryko Written Jan 19, 2008

It may be all the year round and it is a very nice sight, these young people who decided to bind their destinies and show it to the world.
    In parks, gardens, museums, the young people pose for professional photographers and the traveller who has the luck to be there at the right time is sometimes invited to make pictures too, or is at least allowed to make some shots; it is a bit an exotic thing to witness, and a sign of optimism and faith in future! And if many brides are dressed in white, some wear original colours like red or light violet, which is a nice colour for that special event. . . . . giving them a special charm. . . a pity for the photographing traveller they are about (or just) to marry. . . hahaha!
    The traditional wedding feasts last at least three days and nights, and the young people pose for photographers before the real marriage, which takes place a few days later; imagine the couples posing after three days of feasts. . . . they would not look fresh and in good shape like that, that is why they have the photographing sessions before the marriage.
    The pictures have been taken at Hoan Kiem Lake, on Ly Thai Tô Avenue, in the gardens of the Ethnological Museum. . . . . .

Romantic. Isn't it? In the flowers Ethnological museum Let's take a rickshaw Ethnological museum

Going to the reception!

by kokoryko Updated Jan 18, 2008

Going to the reception, playing billiard on the street, making a little fire,
    Near Le Tai To statue and park is an official building and, one evening, I stepped across these venerable ladies preparing to go to a reception; They arrived by taxi-bike, and then prepared their clothes and appearance before going to the building; in some way they looked very noble to me.
    In the small streets between the opera house and the Museum of history, it is very quiet and people install even billiard tables on the street, other make small fires, quiet place where people have a rest from their hectic life on the busy streets.
    And this lady carrying her few goods (for sale?) , she just deserved to be photographed!
    Everywhere in Hanoi, are interesting street scenes, to me, watching people was one of my “fondest memories”.

Last preparatives for the reception going to the reception Billiard on the street Cleaning Few things to sell

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Not a surprise the imperialists have been expelled

by kokoryko Updated Jan 18, 2008

The inhabitants of Hanoi have an incredible sense of discipline! Do you see the difference on pictures 1 and 2? One has been taken before December 14th 2007 and the second one after December 14th 2007! Yes! From one day to the other the motor bikers changed from driving without helmet to drive with helmet; the law making helmets compulsory was applicable from that date and it was a surprise to see suddenly all these helmets on the streets, as there were very few, one day before; may be government and police are very strict, whatever, all these people followed the rule, and it may have a link with long historical sense of discipline. . . .
    The two next pictures are also from before and after 14th of december and the last picture is from December 13th evening. . . . some shops were very busy!

Before Dec. 14th After Dec. 14th Before Dec. 14th After Dec. 14th Dec. 13th night : busy shop

Instant Answers: Hanoi

Comments

Hanoi Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Hanoi local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hanoi sightseeing.