Out of Hanoi-Halong Bay, Hanoi

Know about this? Rate It!

• Out of Hanoi-Halong Bay
    by tseman82
    About to head in and through!
    by balhannah
    Heading through!
    by balhannah
  • munapong's Profile Photo

Amazing Scenery and Caves

by munapong Written Apr 17, 2006

Ha Long Bay

Travel to Ha Long Bay to experience the beautiful scenery and caves. I travelled to Ha Long City from Hanoi. Ha Long Bay trip is good especially you board a chinese junk. The sea breeze is cold, so bring something warm eg jacket.

My guesthouse Manh Dung helped arrange the tour - do contact them for assistance.

• KhanhLy's Profile Photo

Tally Ho!

by KhanhLy Written Oct 11, 2005

Ha Long Bay

Halong Bay, located on the east coast of northern Vietnam. Our driver got us there in less than 3 1/2 hour by weaving thru pedestrians (some of them walking their cows), trucks and buses.
    Outside of Hanoi, we hit two lanes highway. We passed many cemeteries. Historically, family members were buried in the fields where the family grew crops. Today, bodies are placed in concentrated cemeteries. Bodies are first buried in the ground; after 3 years, the bones are dug up and reburied. These "villages of the dead" are found among rice paddies and fields. I was also shocked to see restaurant signs indicating their specialty - dog meat (thit cho)!
    When the junk started sailing, it was kind of misty. I was worried that my trip was spoiled because it was so foggy. Even though I've seen many pictures of Halong Bay, nothing had prepared me to actually seeing it. It looked like something out of the South Pacific movie. It was so breathtakingly beautiful. Imagine the junk sailing, you are standing on the deck, on the edge overlooking the blue-green water. With the wind blowing in your face, the junk sailed in between massive limestone formations. It took my breath away!
    We spent the day exploring limestone caves and stayed over night on the boat. There are over 3000 of these rock / limestone formations (called grottos) in Halong Bay, of course we only saw maybe 5% of that. Legend has it that Ha Long was formed when a dragon flew through the region dragging its tail which carved the earth thus forming the grottos. There are even people who live around these rocks on floating houses and cities built into the walls of the mountains. We even saw a pack of wild dogs on one of the small islands without any other inhabitants.
    That night we spent the night in the open sea on the junk. That long twilight on the deck as the islands turned grey and then black, stars overhead, and the quiet lapping of water on the wooden hull made it a night to remember.

• undiascomootro's Profile Photo

sail back in time in Halong Bay

by undiascomootro Written Sep 22, 2005

emeraude steam cruise in Halong

IT HAS been said that if you are Vietnamese and haven't been to Halong Bay, you can't really understand your own country. And if you are a foreigner and haven't visited Halong Bay, you can't say you have been to Vietnam.

In 1910 a steamer called the Emeraude was offering unforgettable cruises in Halong Bay. The boat was part of a flotilla that had left Bordeaux in 1858 in search of adventure and fortune. Over more than 50 years they were fortunate enough to find both. Today a luxurious replica of the Emeraude offers overnight cruises on the bay.

As I walked into my cabin, the smell of freshly oiled wood filled my senses. The cabins were crisp and clean with brass fittings and old-world charm, designed to exemplify the charisma of colonial Indochina. A heavy haze draped itself like a tablecloth around each of the islands in view and I feared that my timing on this cruise had been very bad. But as Aussie captain Jody Atterton let go of the ropes and steered through the soaring peaks of limestone, the haze became a cloak of beauty and we slid silently into the hidden world of Halong Bay.

Then it was back to the onboard luxury of our paddle steamer, where the crew had swung open the huge paddle wheel to expose a perfect swimming deck. Passengers hurled themselves into the calm waters of the bay, humbled by the scope of the surrounding scenery, described as a world of animals.

When the sun rose, climbing higher in the sky and toppling over the closest mountain, it was time to say our goodbyes. We made the three-hour journey from Halong Bay back to Hanoi. I braved the traffic and experienced the warmth of roadside markets awash with conical hats and ladies selling everything from seed potatoes to pigs. Previously this was the only Vietnam I knew, the one that throbs so hard it hurts. But for a few short days I'd taken another step towards truly knowing other aspects of her character.

• undiascomootro's Profile Photo

overnight on a luxury cruise Halong

by undiascomootro Written Sep 22, 2005

World Heritage-listed Halong Bay, in Quang Ninh Province, is certainly an imposing sight. More than 2000 islands project out of the pea-green waters of the Gulf of Tonkin and form a mysterious tourist drawcard. Legend has it that an enormous dragon plunged to Earth with tail lashing and gouged out valleys and crevices with its mighty force.

I passed up the Loch Ness-styled stories and boarded instead another piece of history, a paddle steamer called Emeraude.

We passed innumerable caves and grottos, small curls of sand and local fishing boats that bobbed cheerfully at anchor. We stopped at Sung Sot (surprise) cave where I figured the 90-step climb would provide great views, even though I wasn't particularly a fan of caves. The view was indeed lovely but the cave, as it turned out, was spectacular.

Then it was back to the onboard luxury of our paddle steamer, where the crew
    had swung open the huge paddle wheel to expose a perfect swimming deck.
    Passengers hurled themselves into the calm waters of the bay, humbled by the
    scope of the surrounding scenery, described as a world of animals.

As the stars started to shine in fewer numbers, a distant sound of beating
    drums echoed through the bay. The birds began their high-pitched shrills and
    small fishing boats started to work the waters.

When the sun rose, climbing higher in the sky and toppling over the closest

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Halong Bay - Paradise, part II

by King_Golo Written Aug 25, 2005

And we had fun fun fun...

Halong Bay is not only a natural wonder, it's also a good place for sports. You can go trekking on Cat Ba Island, do some speleology in Sung Sot Cave, enjoy yourselves while kayaking in the warm sea, and much more. Many tour offices offer special sports tours to Halong Bay - check out the offers in Hanoi's old town.

• Kayaking
    • Beaches

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Halong Bay - Paradise on earth

by King_Golo Written Aug 25, 2005

Halong Bay

First of all, Halong Bay is not at all off the beaten path - there's just no category in VT so far which it fits in. Never mind that, Halong Bay is a must when in Vietnam and therefore one of the places visited by numerous tourists.
    Halong Bay is a world heritage site of the UNESCO and definitely deserving this honour. In one word: It's paradise!
    What is it that makes Halong Bay so special? Consider the legend: A dragon who hit the ground with its tail, thus creating more than 3000 islands in a turquoise sea... Halong Bay is one of the natural wonders of the world and the best way to explore it is by ship. You can either rent boats on your own or - what most people do - go with an organized tour from Hanoi. I did the tour and it was really great. We stayed on the boat overnight and as it was a warm night slept on deck beneath a starry sky. The only sound to be heard was the lullaby of the waves and the wind. The air smelled salty like the sea. A single shooting star crossed the night sky. (Well, this was a lie) I was completely happy...
    Enough of this dream. Go there, find out yourselves, and tell ME if you love Halong Bay the same.

• Beaches
    • Kayaking

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

Visit Halong Bay

by Wild_Orchid Updated Aug 2, 2005

set sail!

If you are in Hanoi, and have at least 2 days to spare, do make your way to Halong Bay. I highly recommend it, because Halong is simply beautiful.

For more information, please check out my Halong Bay pages.

Halong is only 180 km away, but due to poor road conditions, your coach will take at least 3 hours to get to Hanoi. Ours took about 4.5 hours and I had a lot of irritated people on my hands, especially when it turned dark. The journey was made longer due to one of those shopping / coffee breaks at one of those "humanity" centres.

OVERNIGHT STAY ON A BOAT-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    Since the coach journey is quite long, please plan to spend at least 1-2 nights on board a boat at the Bay. Those who take the 3-hour drive here and then just do the day-cruise (approx 6-hours on board), will not have a good time. This is because, 6 hours on board is simply not enough time for you to wind down and relax sufficiently to appreciate all that the World Heritage Site of Halong Bay has to offer. Please trust me on this!

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Ha Long Bay: Ratten Boats

by bpacker Updated Feb 2, 2005

Floating Village, Ha Long Bay

You'll see countless of these little ratten boats once you're in halong bay. Lightweight and strangely sea-worthy, this boats can carry up to three locals at once.

A man paddles on a boat woven like a basket, slowly and silently across the green waters

Where:Somewhere in the depths of Ha Long Bay

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 29, 2004

incredible vistas, Halong Bay

Well, Halong Bay is not exactly off the beaten path as many people go to Hanoi JUST to visit the famous World Heritage Site but is far from Hanoi and for the short term visitor, it just may become a non-must see. But for those with the time and not minding a hording of tourists, it is certainly one of the great sights of Vietnam. Set in the emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin, the stand out feature is a series of tiny islands with mountainous terrain. The scenery is storybook stuff and as an added interest, there are numerous illuminated caves you can explore as well. Though it can be visited as an independent traveler, it is much easier and perhaps even cheaper to do it on a group tour from Hanoi. Just remember it is a 3.5 hour trip one way so a day trip is not really worth it unless very pressed for time. You can arrange multi-day trips and we did one where you can stay right on the boat in the bay. Details for such trips are in my accommodations guide of this page so check it out if interested. It’s cheap and well worth it. And this comes from someone that had awful weather. Remember also that Halong Bay is famous for bad weather. The summers are stormy and the winters drizzly. Go in spring if you can arrange it and good luck.

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Sunset at Ha Long

by muddybok Written Nov 1, 2004

Sunset@Halong.com.vn

I admit this is not the nicest sunset picture even taken at Ha Long Bay. But it is my personal best sunset shots at Ha Long Bay.

How could I miss the sunset at Ha Long that was once my only reason to visit Vietnam? I was doing sea kayaking that evening without bringing my camera because my pal is 2nd time doing the canoe or kayaking. Since the camera does not have as high water resistant capability as my Casio G-Shock, I decided to trade off the great sunset opportunity.

Did I regret my decision? I don’t regret my decision, because those great sunsets images are already imprint in my memory.

• muddybok's Profile Photo

by muddybok Written Nov 1, 2004

Ha Long Bay

Halong Bay is a "Must Visit" if you're visiting Hanoi/Vietnam.

The folk tale has it that the dragons descended from heaven to help locals by spitting jewels and jade to the sea, forming a natural fortress against invading beasts from China.

More Ha Long pics/tips are featured in my Halong Bay page.

• MoeB52's Profile Photo

Halong Bay "Descending Dragons"

by MoeB52 Written Mar 7, 2004

Halong Bay

While you are in Hanoi make sure you take a day trip out to Halong Bay. Better yet plan to spend a night there . No wonder Halong is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site ! The tranquil jade/aqua colored water and the surrounding landscape of majestic limestone peaks is breath taking! You can even charter your very own Junk with crew and lunch for around $30 for a 5 hr sail .

• Umea6's Profile Photo

HA LONG BAY - "DESCENDING DRAGON"

by Umea6 Updated Dec 3, 2003

Cruising among more then 3000 of tiny dramatic islands sprinkled across awesome Ha Long Bay is well worth it. You will spot "floating villages" in the Gulf of Tonkin. Don't look surprised if you see women cooking, men repairing fish nets and children playing on the deck. The image is like seeing the pirates who are believed to be roaming theese waters even now. If possible stay one night on the boat on the open sea.

• SumTingWong's Profile Photo

The Mysterious and Amazing HaLong Bay

by SumTingWong Written Feb 25, 2003

Boat on HaLong Bay

You must leave 2-4 days to go to the amazing HaLong Bay. I cannot reccomend this place enough. The scenery, people, swimming, beaches, and excursions are excellent. For some more HaLong Bay picts see my Haiphong page.

Instant Answers: Hanoi