69 Bar Restaurant, Hanoi

3.5 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

69 ma may street

The breaded spring roll...
    Inside 69 Bar and Restaurant
  • 69 Bar Restaurant
  • TheAndos's Profile Photo

69 Bar Restaurant: Hanoi restaurant

by TheAndos Written Mar 21, 2012

69 is situated in a old house, over two floors. We sat on the balcony overlooking the street - had fresh spring rolls and Hanoi spring rolls, eggplant and rice, chicken chilli and beers. Cost $25. English menu and English spekaing staff.

• nezz's Profile Photo

Bar 69 Restaurant: Fantastic Food in Hanoi Old Quarter

by nezz Written May 28, 2011

We were very fortunate indeed to be staying in a hotel in Ma May Street in Hanoi's old quarter. The very first day my husband discovered the 69 restaurant which unsurprisingly is at 69 Ma May St. Being so close to our hotel we did end up using it on many occasions . For lunch and dinner both dining in and taking away.

It is set in one of the original houses from the old quarter , only one room wide but going back in depth. The decor was very authentic 18th century Hanoi.
    We really loved the attention to service from the even to the way they showed me how to eat the Cha Ca fish which is a Hanoi specialty dish and oh so good.

On the last day we went to say goodbye and my husband asked one of the female waiters if she had gone to school in american beacause she spoke perfect english with an american accent. She laughed at him and said no she had learnt english from the american tv show friends...HA HA..

Favorite Dish: Some of our favourite dishes included their spring rolls, chicken thighs 69 style, the Cha Ca fish ,sesame coated squid the outer coat was crunchy and I was amazed the sesame seeds stayed coated onto the squid . The squid was tender inside and beautifully cooked. I'll let the photos do all the talking.

Chicken Pho Soup was my daughters all time favourite .It also comes in beef as well. This to me will always be the signature dish of Hanoi I'd say. Along with Bun Cha it is on every Hanoi restaurant menu and also available on every street corner as a local dish too. We even had it included on our breakfast menu at our hotel. It is so different to any other asian noodle soup that I have tried. The reason is the soup base has a distincly different group of flavours. Ginger that has been bbq'd and peeled, cloves, star anise and cinnamon. Fresh corander and spring onion greens along with beansprouts are added last as a garnish. The broth is light and delicate but is bursting with so much flavour

I can say that every meal we had was beautifully cooked and the staff were extremely attentive. The drinks were cold and in the really humid heat of the Hanoi summer they sat us upstairs in front of the air-conditioner, that was much appreciated.

• imstress's Profile Photo

69 Bar Restaurant: 69 Bar Restaurant

by imstress Updated Apr 4, 2011

69 Bar Restaurant

Located in the soul of Hanoi's old quarters is 69 Bar Restaurant where u can dine in Vietnamese traditional ambience of a restored ancient house which was built in the 19the century.

Try the local authentic Vietnamese food.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

69 Bar Restaurant: Come here for drinks, not food.

by Tijavi Written Jul 24, 2010

The breaded spring roll...

Somehow the restaurant did not live up the good reviews. True, the building, a beautifully restored Vietnamese house, is very atmospheric. But the food failed to impress me.

I ordered very traditional Vietnamese food: seafood spring roll, this time, fried. It was heavily breaded, you could hardly taste the seafood. My mains, marinated pork barbeque over coals, were more like pork patties and they were tasteless; so was the dipping sauce. And the dessert of flamed banana with orange sauce was very bitter. The only redeeming factor was the Vietnamese coffee. But that could hardly compensate for the below par meal.

And while having all these, diners were serenaded with Silent Night, yes Silent Night the Christmas carol - and it was way past Christmas! Strange place.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

69: duck a la orange

by Willettsworld Written May 12, 2010

This was another place that was just down the road from where I stayed in the Old Quarter, just across the road from New Day restaurant. Unlike the New Day, this place is far more upmarket with nice dark wooden interior, wooden tables and mirrors. I went for a western dish - duck a la orange (see second photo) which came with mashed potatoes and veg and was pretty good if a little skimpy on the portions. Good food.

• 69 Bar Restaurant: Terrible

by vjb1965 Written Jan 24, 2008

Nice Old House, worth to take a look. Decent wine selection at reasonable prices. But: We waited for our food order for one hour and then left without eating. Absolutely ridiculous service. Maybe the cook was asleep or they ran out of ingredients, but I do not recommend this place as a restaurant. Take a look, take a picture, have a glass of wine and then go eat somewhere else!

Favorite Dish: Don't know... never got the food.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

69 Bar Restaurant: Great food

by albaaust Updated Oct 28, 2006

Girl cooking fish on coals at our table

Favorite Dish: This restaurant was one of the better restaurants in terms of enjoying the food especially the local fish speciality.

The only down side was that everywhere we looked was a westerner and a Lonely Planet book!

• xaver's Profile Photo

69 Bar Restaurant: Great people

by xaver Written Dec 10, 2003

food

I came here my first evening in Hanoi and just kept coming back any time I was in town.
    As for the hotel, my coming back was something like a visit to old friends, the manager of the reastarant, Huong, is always extremely helpful with travel and dishes tips.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

69 Bar Restaurant: 300 year old House now a restaurant in old city

by cochinjew Written Dec 7, 2002

a three hundred year old house, multistoried with a veranda, renovated to seat diners in various separate areas, either western or eastern style, serving eastern and western food plus drinks

Favorite Dish: spring rolls (coi guon tom ga )
    griller skewer chicken with rice noodles ( ga xien muong cuon bun banh da )
    sauteed water spinach with garlic (rau muong xao toi)
    sauteed green vegetables with garlic (ran cai chao dau thue cat)

Instant Answers: Hanoi

Comments

Hotels Near 69 Bar Restaurant
4.0 out of 5 stars