Cha Ca La Vong, Hanoi

• sightseeing's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: 90,000VND per person

by sightseeing Written May 8, 2008

ok..let's face it..

this restaurant is getting more and more attention by tourists..

and if u've done the research, they sell only one dish - Cha Ca...

priced at 90,000 VND per person, we gave it a missed, and turned to Golden Land restaurant opposite to it..

Cha Ca La Vong-serve only one dish, no aircond, cook it yourself, expensive.
    (2 person can't order for one)

Golden Land - varieties of menu, aircond, nice ambience, waitress cook it infront of you, at only 75,000 VND per person. (we order Cha Ca for 1 person, and side dish spring roll, turn out to be a full and satisfied meal )

• happy128's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: Unique Vietnamese food experience

by happy128 Updated Dec 14, 2007

A little shop in a small little lane. However it is very famous, so you can easily get the direction from any local. Their business in very good, packed with local and foreigners in the 2 storey shoplot.

We were not sure how to order, the waiter show us the menu we order the set for about 35,000dong each we ordered two sets. It came with a charcoal po, some spring onions, some vegetables(mint leaves?), some onions, some oil, some cut chili. We did not know how to start. Then the local sat next to us show us we have to out the spring onion/veg into the hot pot, put some oil then fish slices(called cha ca in vietnam). After the fish is cooked, we could eat with the rice noodles provided, you could add the cut chilly or shrimp sauce or lime to go with it.

Favorite Dish: Cha ca (the fish slice)

• Cha Ca La Vong: Over-rated and over-priced

by emmanue113 Written Jul 4, 2007

Heard so much about the restaurant and the dish, I thought I had to give it a try. I missed it a couple of times because it only opens for dinner at 5pm. So, on the last day of my trip, I made it a point to get there at 5pm for dinner, before rushing to the airport at 6pm. Well, it was a great disappointment. I find the dish (made up of grilled fish cubes and vege) tasteless and oily. Definitely not worth VND 75,000 per person.

• yeikloen's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: Fish In Pan

by yeikloen Written Dec 6, 2006

There has been much hype about this restaurant, ran by 5 generation on Cha Ca Street. I have not tried any other Cha Ca but I will surely do in another restaurant the next time when I am there. They charge VND70,000 per person which I think if way too much for the portion but it is the way the food is being served. You get load of veg and noodles but there isn't enough of sauce to eat with... but should try at least once......

Favorite Dish: They do not serve anything other than Cha Ca

Cha Ca La Vong The Pan Veg?

• KookieDough's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: No talking needed

by KookieDough Written Apr 3, 2006

We really didn't need to say anything when we ate at Cha Ca La Vong. We just took our seats and signalled how many servings we want. The attendant returns with a bubbling iron plate of fish with plates of noodles, herbs and fish sauce.

Before finishing the first plate of this Vietnamese specialty, customers usually ask for another one. Again, no need to talk. There is no other dish served in the venue, so no explanation necessary. Anyway, mother said don't talk when your mouth is full.

You shouldn't leave Hanoi without having tasted Cha Ca. Don't be intimidated if the attendants seem not the usual smiling faces of Hanoi. I think it's part of the charm of the place. My husband and I even regret not returning before we left Vietnam.

• pez's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: It must be Cha Ca, because it's on Cha Ca Street

by pez Updated Aug 2, 2003

The classic Cha Ca place. Ambience is a bit local. If you want similar Cha Ca, visit La Brique on Nha Tho street. It's about the same price, but the atmosphere is friendlier to foreigners.

Favorite Dish: Well, they only serve one dish. Cha Ca is fish fish fried over a charcoal stove on your table, served with dill, nuoc mam (fish sauce). Very delicious.

• dragonfr7's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: Try the stinky sauce

by dragonfr7 Written Feb 9, 2007

This place is famous enough that most people have heard of it by now, since it's probably the only place in the Old Quarters that serves the "Cha Ca" dish (grilled fish). But I noticed that the last time I was there, when we sat down, they served us the dish with the standard Vietnamese "nuoc mam." Traditionally, the dish is eaten with an odiferous shrimp paste sauce that non-locals would probably have to ask for. It's called "mam tom" and you can't miss it by the smell :-) If you're willing, ask for it and try it the way locals do!

• Cha Ca La Vong: Avoid- A massive Rip off full of tourists

by paullyt Written Mar 28, 2012

First time i have been compelled to write a review, unfortunately a bad one. Tonight I went to Cha Ca La Vong with my girlfriend after seeing it recommended in the lonely planet. Sounded good as a local place that has been going for 5 generations serving only one dish...

BUT it was terrible. From the moment we arrived the staff ignored us. We found a table to sit down and then had some cold rice noodles and herbs dumped in front of us. The hot plate with fish came out next, the taste was ok but there was nowhere near enough of it- about 10 small pieces. And, at 170,000 Vietnamese Dong per person it was a complete rip off!! We asked for beers which arrived 10 minutes later with the top on. We then waited another 5 minutes until we were given a bottle opener to open them ourselves!

The place is filthy, and had a load of tourists who'd obviously read the same glowing lonely planet review..

For what came to $20 USD, try somewhere else that has a nice local feel to it and better value for money.

• Cah ca la vong: Avoid unless you like being ripped off

by Deniseamericangirl Written Jan 4, 2011

Avoid this place. It has been featured in Lonely Planet, maybe at one time it was value for money but the guide we looked at said it was $6 per person; it was $10 per person and we needed to ask for more food because the portion was so sparse. Please note, we are not obese greedy people- we just needed more food because the portion served was not at all sufficient for one person never mind for two people. The restuarant is a dump, grubby dirty and lacks any soul. This place will give Hanoi a bad reputation if people continue to be ripped off like this. There's got to be better value for money in Hanoi, I shall pursue that tomorrow night. Save your money, do not eat here.

Favorite Dish: There is one dish on offer here- an insufficient amount of fish dripping in oil and dressed up with some rice noodles to make it look better than it is.

• Women's Travel

• Cha Ca La Vong: What a shame...

by SachaMortensen Written Aug 18, 2008

Me and my husbond went here 4 years agao and we both remembered it as different amd eceptionally good. So we had no doubt in our mind to come back this time and try the food once again.
    This time we did not meet our expantations at all!! We were so dissapointed! The food was uneadible to put it mild!! To much oil and no flavor at all!!
    We will return to Hanoi but never to this restaurant again!

• sunny_koh's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong: Tourist Trap

by sunny_koh Written Dec 11, 2008

Give this place a miss unless you have extra cash and don't know what to spend on. The place is small and cramp, it will be hard to run for your life if a fire were to break out.

A rip-off for a few miserable pieces of fish swimming in oil - not for the health conscious. Paid 200 000 dong for a meal for 2 including 2 bottles of mineral water. Taste is not bad but for the meagre portion and location with zero ambience, 80 000 dong will be more like it. Even a random coffee shop in my homeland fill my stomach better for less than half the price.

• akikonomu's Profile Photo

Cha Ca La Vong

by akikonomu Written Dec 23, 2008

Fried fish and vegetables simmering before you over a charcoal stove and eaten with the chewy noodles. Taste ok with beer. A little too oily for my taste and honestly, I think the price is a little of a rip off.

Try if you must for the "famous" fish dish in Hanoi but you could get nicer food elsewhere.

• go_AIR's Profile Photo

Cha ca La Vong: Fried fish & fried veggies ;)

by go_AIR Written Apr 3, 2009

It's located in the old quarter..Need to be careful as there are similar restaurants offering similar dish. Picture of the original restaurant is attached.
    It's a two floor restaurant. Don't bother to ask the staff in front of the restaurant to get a table for you, either wait on 1st floor or just go upstairs. You need to queue in the alley, when there is an empty table just take it.

Favorite Dish: Only cha ca (fish and veggies fried) offered here. You should put all the veggies in the pan. After all get cooked, put it on your rice noodles and add several condiments for additional taste. I personally prefer the fish sauce added with fresh red chillies instead the one with shrimp paste..
    Btw, I overcooked my dish as shown in the attached photo.. ;)

fresh from the charcoal stove the original restaurant Ready to eat cha ca

• Just "Cha Ca" (see the picture): Good Cha ca and Bahn Cuon

by oerkenbo Updated Dec 11, 2007

This restaurant is righ across from the Cha Ca La Vong restaurant and serves only 2 things: Cha Ca and Bahn Cuon. (Bahn Cuon are steamed rice crepes stuffed with chopped meat.) Both are very good and the Cha Ca is really the same quality as the famous one across the street if not better. It's easy to find them -- right across the street from Cha Ca La Vong. Just look for the sign shown in the picture.

• Cha Ca La Vong: Yummy fish

by n1te Updated Mar 22, 2008

Only sells the one dish. Restaurant is a little warm, probably due to the dish "cooking" on the table. Fish comes with fish sauce, peanuts, chilli and a vege. Can opt to cook all the vege together with the fish but that would make it a little too oily later on.

Fish eaten with noodles served, vege, peanuts & fish sauce.
    Paid VND 90K per person, excluding drinks upon shown the price on a piece of paper before having our meal. Has the impression that tourist are charged more than locals.

The meal Fish+vege+noodles The fish boiling

Instant Answers: Hanoi

Comments

Hotels Near Cha Ca La Vong
2.5 out of 5 stars