Tourist Attractions in Hanoi

• HALONG BAY: A UNIQUE HERITAGE AND NOTORIOUS GUIDES
    HALONG BAY: A UNIQUE HERITAGE AND...
    by RAVINDRAN72

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Hanoi

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Hawkers at Tam Coc.

by pfsmalo Updated Aug 2, 2007

This trap is one of those that is so hard to get out of. Works like this : When you hire your sampan the rowers work in pairs and both get on board at the embarcation. No problem says you!! Half way round the scam starts : Buy a table cloth please lady ? Buy a t-shirt please mister ? And there you are, stuck half way up a river, no way of getting off, so what do you do ? The litany then carries on, that is if you have decided, at that point not to buy anything all the way back to the dock. And that means listening to 3/4 of an hour of pleading. I must admit I cracked....So, if you do get on a sampan in Tam Coc, be warned.

Our rower in Tam Coc.

• gOmbak's Profile Photo

I will help you get to anywhere you want.

by gOmbak Written Jun 26, 2007

This offering always comes with a 10 dollar tip.
    10 x 10 dollars = 100 dollars.
    Motorbike ride around Hanoi city is always VND10,000 to VND15,000 not more.
    Make sure which Pho=Street you wanted to go.
    Hanoi Bus is around VND3,000
    Further trip to outer of Hanoi city, with mini bus may go up to VND40,000

Unique Suggestions: Just say, I'll give you 2 dollar? or find yourself a local friend especially restaurant or pub owners or a person who have been there, they'll more then happy to help you for free.

mini bus ride motorbike ride
    • Hiking and Walking

• Halong Bay Tours Price Range

by Stubi Written Oct 21, 2006

If you book a tour to Halong Bay you will find endless travel agencies offering you tours for one or two days. The price range for a normal one day tour will be from $ 17 to 25 and more. They will tell you different stories about the food quality, the amount of people to expect, the bus, the ship...

Normally the only difference is the price. You will end up often on the same tour. On our $ 17 trip were people paying $ 60 (but for two days) and others paying extra for a special tour with special food and a small amount of people. We all had the same food, boat and bus. We were only 11 people on our tour.

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Sinh Cafe -- fake ones

by WaRPer Written Jul 8, 2006

You'll see SINH CAFE all over the place, but only one is REAL!!
    I dunno what happen to Vietnamese, this is some kinda FRAUD isn't it? The real one is at 18 Luong Van Can, hope I'm not wrong!!! Don't believe everything in the LP guide book, it's not always right...actually lots of places (agencies and hotels) listed in that book SUCK!! Like the Kim Cafe.

(Please read my further comments)

Fun Alternatives: Tamarind Cafe, pay a lil' more money but you'll get the best thing

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Kim cafe -- don't ever step in there!!

by WaRPer Updated Jul 8, 2006

Kim's Cafe is a tour agency, also listed in Lonely Planet guide book.
    They sell tickets a little cheaper than some other agencies, but don't let them fool you. OK You get cheap tickets, but it's no quality tour at all. I booked a Halong 2-day tour with'em for 20 bucks each person. The boat was a real JUNK sh*t (the worst one we've ever seen), no fresh water and electricity at night and 3 meals on board they're all the same!! Us 5 girls, another French couple and a Dutch guy (whom the agency forgot to pick him up at his hotel a day before), we're all so pissed....

As soon as we got back to Hanoi, we were heading down to Kim Cafe. The lady just ignore our comments, no apologies, nothing. She just kicked us out and said "IF YOU ARE SMARTER, If you're not pleased with the boat you should ask the crew to sail back" Yeah sure, nobody on that fukkin'junk can understand English!!

Unique Suggestions: JUST DON'T GO TO THIS PLACE, they're goin' down!!!

Fun Alternatives: Tamarind Cafe
    Sinh Cafe, but watch out they're Sinh all over the place...only one is REAL

Kim Cafe

• KhanhLy's Profile Photo

Bring extra money if you want to use the restroom

by KhanhLy Written Jan 4, 2005

After paying an entrance fee to Hanoi First University, check your change to make sure they gave you back the right amount. Also bring an extra $500dong if you want to use the restroom, there is a lady sitting there to collect your money, even though they have a donation box there.

• guell's Profile Photo

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum-Changing of the Guard

by guell Updated Jan 1, 2005

We happened to be at the Mausoleum during the changing of the guard. It’s nothing special. The new guards show up, and the old guards leave. That’s it!

Unique Suggestions: If you’re already in the area, see it. Otherwise, it’s not worth the $1 moto-taxi ride.

Fun Alternatives: Visit the One Pilar Pagoda, and stroll around the nearby park. Hop on a moto-taxi and go for a ride.

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum - Changing of the Guard

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Water Puppets

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 29, 2004

I guess everyone that visits Hanoi goes to see the “world famous” water puppet show. It is full of tradition and surely a bit of a laugh for tourists too. Local kids seem to love it though I guess at the prices they charge, not every kid gets to go. The puppets are operated by people that stand behind a curtain and in knee deep water! The music is interesting at first but gets tiresome after an hour.

Unique Suggestions: One thing they do is try and sell you tickets close to the stage (or water!) and from what we saw, those people seemed to get wet and worse yet, they were close to the fireworks that went off too. It was a poorly ventilated room and the smoke bothered me a bit in the middle of the hall. The seats from the middle to the front were 48,000 dong ($3) and included a cassette of the music from the show. If I was to do it again, I opt for he half price seats as they seemed just as good and I’ve only listed to the tape once since returning. It’s pretty awful.

a bit hokey but I guess it was worth it, once

• elbe's Profile Photo

Cha Ca - better choose another restaurant

by elbe Written Feb 24, 2003

I’ve read about this restaurant in many books before I came to Vietnam. So we went there one evening. Okay, the food is good, it’s funny that only one dish is on the card and the atmosphere is quite nice. Great that one family offers that dish (fish) for five generations. I know that sounds hard but beside the food on the boat trip in Saigon this was the worst food we got in Vietnam. That doesn’t mean that it’s bad but I’ve never eaten that fat in Vietnam. Afterwards we all felt completely full and a bit sick – and we didn’t eat much. Reminded me to the feeling I sometimes have when I go to the Greek in Germany. And the price for the dish is a little about the average, probably because this restaurant is kind of famous in other countries.

Fun Alternatives: There are soo many possiblities you have, especially in bigger cities like Hanoi. Just try another restaurant.

Hanoi Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 12 Reviews
Viet Anh Hotel
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews

Instant Answers: Hanoi

Comments

Hanoi Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hanoi locals.
Map of Hanoi