Taxis, Hanoi

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxis
    by kimhachin
    Noibai Taxi
    by jennyngn9
    Airport Taxi, Hanoi
    by cal6060
  • Beware of the Taxis in Hanoi

by thanathon9 Updated Jun 14, 2010

I just came back from Hanoi yesterday and just wanted to let everyone know how bad most taxis are in Hanoi. Before my trip I did read on many websites including this one on how tricky taxis were in Hanoi but was told by a friend that they have cleaned this up - BUT ITS NOT TRUE!!
    I started of my trip with a taxi (which I got my hotel to call for me) from my hotel in the Old Quarter to the Ho Chi Minh Maousaleum. This trip took 15 mins and about 30,000D which sounded fairly reasonable. The meter also was not dodgy and increased slightly every time we moved.
    After enjoying my day around the sites here I decided to take a taxi from the temple of literature back to my hotel. I was really tired so got on the first one available (many taxis were waiting out side and I just got on the bloody worst one!) The meter was normal and started off at 12000D which is the standard fare, however due to my fatigue it was 50,000 after 3 minutes. After telling the driver my thoughts about him cheating and wanting to get down on the next stop it jumped 1,000D every second and was 100,000D in no time and by the time he stopped the meter read 130,000D. Luckily I keep my money in seperate areas and spent most in my wallet leaving only 80,000D. He stated yapping Mafia Mafia and pointing to his old geezerd body stating he is part of the Mafia - hardly like it but better safe than sorry. I showed him the cash and tried getting out but he used the baby lock so I couldnt open the door from inside. I demanded he opened the door so he lowered the back window so i opened the door from the outside chucked what ever cash i had in his face slammed the door and got out.
    The amount of money wasnt alot I mean 80,000D is only about 4 bucks so it wasnt the money i was mad about but the manner of it. For those of you reading I am also sorry not to get the plates or the company because I was really mad. I am sure there are still good and honest cabs but the bad ones really project a bad image for all taxis.

I only took a taxi twice during my stay in hanoi but i would recommend that you get your hotel to call you one and maybe use the larger companies like what everyone says on here.

PS Count your change for everything because I seem never to get the right amount back. Thre notes here are in large denominators so becareful!!

• Beware when getting on!!

by thanathon9 Written Jun 14, 2010

• kimhachin's Profile Photo

Hanoi Airport Transfer Service

by kimhachin Written May 23, 2010

We have a great experience when using Hanoi Airport Transfers service, The vehicle was on time, clean, and the driver was friendly, and helpful with my luggage. We Highly Recommend this company to anyone contemplating travel to Vietnam, whether for business or pleasure.

• Business Travel

• Beware of Mr. To Vu of Vietnam Air Airport Taxi

by TravelDocta Written Jun 14, 2009

I just returned from a trip to Hanoi and it couldn't have started out much worse than this: The man listed in my title (Mr. To Vu) approached me upon arrival stating that he was sent by my hotel to take me to my hotel (which turned out to be a lie, of course). However, he did not have a placard with my name on it, nor did he know the address of my hotel (he said there were two locations and he didn't know which one it was - another lie!), and his answer as to how he knew I was the person he was supposed to pick up was shady and inaccurate as well. All of these should have alerted me to the scam but I went with him anyway (I'm still not sure why, but I'm blaming fatigue). He actually ended up being the passenger, as he had a driver - Lai Xe - who was silent during much of this short trip. On our way to the airport exit, To Vu informed me that he needed my passport for some tourist ticket so he wouldn't have to pay an exit toll or something (that part is still not clear to me). That was the final straw for me and when I refused to give him my passport, he said he was taking me back to the airport. He then asked for his business card back and when I refused, he became irate (his face turned red and he was spitting as he talked and everything!) and verbally abusive, using the "F" word several times, saying, "Don't F with me!" and pointing his finger in my face and telling me not to talk. It was all I could do to stay calm and ask him to stop yelling at me and take me back to the airport. He attempted to drop me off at a taxi gathering point outside of the actual airport grounds but I insisted that I be dropped off at the terminal, which he grudgingly did. I didn't have to pay (monetarily) for this little ride, but it definitely took an emotional toll! My attempts to lodge a complaint while in Hanoi were unproductive due to the language barrier and I am still trying to see if I can do so via the internet. However, I know how many people use these travel sites, so if I can get the word out there about this person in particular (if he even works for Vietnam Airlines Airport Taxi - that could have been a lie as well, since the car we were in was a black Toyota Camry with no decals on it), then I've done my duty. So beware!! I'm a pretty savvy traveler (most of the time), so if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody!! Travel safely!!

• Travworld's Profile Photo

Taxi's at Hanoi Airport

by Travworld Written Feb 21, 2009

When you have a confirmed reservation at a hotel , ask if they have transportation available , even for a small fee take this offer . Most taxi drivers will tell you your hotel is closed and will take you to a hotel that they receive a referral from.

• Ladyfromasia's Profile Photo

Taxi in Hanoi

by Ladyfromasia Written Oct 21, 2008

Mai Linh taxi

There are many Taxi companies in Hanoi but the most popular providers are:

Mai Linh group taxi: the biggest provider Co. Tel: +84(4) 38 222 666/222 555. The price is quite expensive (15.000 vnd for the first 1 km) but clean nice cars and uniformed, english speaking drivers.
    Hanoi taxi: Tel: +84(4) 3 8 535353 (15.000 vnd for the first 1 km). English speaking drivers, clean cars.

The cheapest and safe taxi providers:
    Morning taxi: Tel: +84(4) 3 2 525252. Small car but clean, some drivers can speak English. 8.000 vnd/first 1 km.
    VIC taxi: small Matiz cars with violet banner. 8.000 vnd/first 1 km. Tel: +84(4) 3 8 230230.
    Van Xuan taxi: small clean cars. Tel: +84(4) 3 8 222888.

You can call or just wave anywhere in the streets but be careful with inlicensed taxis, usually parking around tourist areas. Make sure the meter is on!

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

late arrival at hanoi airport

by cochinjew Written Jun 5, 2008

I am not sure where you got the 100 usd fare, i have taken the taxi on numerous occasions and it is always between 10 and 15 usd. get a taxi and agree on a price and get to the town fast.. i dont think the bus which runs to the centre of town runs late at night, during the day it is an alternative but it leaves you near the Viet air offices and you have to still take a taxi to your hotel..

• grahamNI's Profile Photo

taxi from Hanoi airport to downtown

by grahamNI Written Jun 5, 2008

If you pay US$100, then something is very badly wrong!

I was last there just over a year ago and the rate for a taxi...... pre-agreed, is more like $10........... though the taxi drivers will try every trick in the book to up this rate, my advice is to write what you WILL pay on a piece of paper, so have a pen and paper,..... the taxi guy wont!

Not sure what the public transport options are at that time, but if you have a problem, let me know and I can enquire from a mate who lives in Hanoi and has done for over 10 years.

Happy travels.

• Taxi Services in Hanoi

by fwadswo Written Mar 16, 2008

Only use Hanoi Taxi. Used another taxi service (small green taxis) once to return to our hotel after eating dinner at a restaurant and the fare was 40% higher (28000 versus 20000 to get there by Hanoi Taxi).

• Business Travel

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Good taxis here!

by kokoryko Written Jan 19, 2008

View of the traffic

At the airport or in town it is quite easy to find a taxi.
    On travel from airport to town, be sure the driver puts on the meter or if he does not want, negotiate the fare: it must not be more than 15 US$ from the airport to the old town.
    In city travels, always ask the meter to be working; usually the drivers do it, but sometimes they may “forget”.
    There are all sorts of cabs, and it seems they all have the same price.
    If you go for off beaten areas, take a map with you, as the majority of drivers, 1) do not understand English, 2) they know only touristy places when spelled in English.
    Usually, to the contrary of the motorbike taxis they do not try to cheat the tourists.
    Taxi fares are cheap (despite the astronomic numbers when you pay in Dong): 1 to 1.5 US$/km. (1 US$ = 16000 VNDong); some meters display the fare divided by 1000.
    Ah, Taxis sometimes drive a bit recklessly (like in many places), and if only bikes are on the opposite lane, they do not hesitate to take it (main picture).
    Day or night, be sure the meter is working. (pictures 2 and 3).

• Airport Taxis still $10

by oerkenbo Updated Dec 16, 2007

Taxis between Noi Bai airport and Hanoi should still be $10. There are rows of taxis waiting ouside the airport. As soon as you exit, someone will take you to one. Make sure you confirm it's $10. Also, my taxi driver tried to get me to agree to $12 after I got in despite the agreement with the dispatcher. Insist on the $10 rate. Don't spoil things for others.

On the way back to the airport, there's a big taxi stand on Quang Trung not far from Lake Hoan Kiem (opposite Vietnam Airlines office) that has a sign for a $10 trip to the airport. You can make an arrangement here for them to pick you up at your hotel. They'll try to get you to agree to a higher price. Just point to the sign and insist on $10.

There're places in the old town that advertised $7 to the airport too.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Taxi to and from the Airport

by Etoile2B Written Oct 8, 2007

The easiest way to get from the airport into town is by taxi. The airport is located 35km from the city and the ride takes about 45 minutes to an hour. A taxi into the city generally costs between $10 and $12 US. Settle on the price with your driver prior to departure and also determine if you are responsible for the $2 US toll at the bridge. There is also a bus service that is much cheaper, it runs between 5 am and 9 pm but it can take considerably longer than a taxi service.

If you make a reservation at a guesthouse or hotel prior to arriving in Hanoi most will arrange to have a driver waiting for you at the airport if your provide your flight information at the time of booking. Some hotels will provide the taxi service for free, but most of them will charge you for the ride. Just check with your hotel at the time of booking to determine their policy. If the taxi ride isn’t included check, likely you will pay the fee directly to your guesthouse NOT to the driver, so again confirm with your hotel.

• izar's Profile Photo

be aware

by izar Written Oct 3, 2007

I would encourage you to ONLY take CP taxi or Hanoi Taxi. When you or somebody calls for a taxi for you , it is best to emphasize. Otherwise you may end up paying double the amount.

WE once took a CP taxi, we thought, a restaurant called, and he had a fake "label" outside. It was a magnet. He touched something under the glove compartement and the meter started to run , my husband told him what was happening and suddenly the meter stopped. We paid the fair price.

Make sure the meter is covered by glass.

I hope they have told us when we first arrived.

• Hanoi Airport Transfer

by travelonline Written Jun 18, 2007

You may have heard stories of the ‘perils’ of hiring a taxi in an unfamiliar city. A common tale is of taxi drivers telling newly arrived travellers that their hotel is closed down, full or no good and that they know of another / better hotel they can take you to instead. If you hear any stories like this pay no attention, and if you need to take a taxi from the airport simply insist on being taken to the hotel you want.
    It is possible that some taxi drivers may try to overcharge you for the journey you are making. To avoid this you should agree a set fare at the start of the journey. If a driver do not agree to this request then you should find an alternative taxi. If you have any problems once you reach the hotel, go to the reception desk and ask them to sort out any queries or problems. In the interest of comfort and safety it is always best to travel in the rear seat of a taxi. This will not be considered rude by the taxi driver. If the driver insists that you should sit in the front, we recommend that you locate an alternative taxi.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Taxi

by victorwkf Written Feb 19, 2007

Taxi at Hanoi, Vietnam

Taxi is a relatively cheap mode of transport in Hanoi, and a trip will normally cost between 10,000 to 20,000 Vietnamese dongs. However, the main problem is that taxi drivers may try to rip off tourists e.g. using a tampered taxi meter, going by a longer route etc. One way is to negotiate a suitable price before taking the taxi (some taxi drivers do not even care to reduce the price despite bargaining) or ask your hotel to get the taxi for you as the hotel staff will know the price and how to negotiate with the taxi drivers. The main taxi operators in Hanoi include Hanoi Taxi (tel: 04-8535353), CP Taxi (tel: 04-8241999) and Mai Linh Taxi (tel: 04-8222666).

Instant Answers: Hanoi

• ulm168's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

booked to visit Hanoi soon. HOW RELIABLE IS HANOI TRANSFER SERVICE AS A TRAVEL AGENT? THEY ARE ASKING FOR PAYMENT OF LAND ARRANGEMENT UPON DELIVERY TO HOSTEL. SHOULD I PAY? AM SUGGESTING TO PAY BY INSTALLMENT, SAY USD20 UPON DELIVERY TO HOSTEL, 261 USD UPON PICK UP FOR HALONG AND SAPA, THEN USD20 UPON PICK UP FOR AIRPORT DEPARTURE?