Quy Nhon Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Quy Nhon

• Foundryman1's Profile Photo

The Central Market in downtown Quy Nhon

by Foundryman1 Updated Apr 22, 2006

Grilled meat on a stick and a side of stickyrice

This is the central market in Quy Nhon.They don't get as many westerners here as the bigger cities so you get stared at a little more than usual but the folks are friendly.People will pull you aside when they see you taking photographs and ask you to take a picture of a friend or relative.The girl with her hands over her face ducked under the counter when her brother asked me to take her photograph .she was surprised when she popped up and I was still waiting to take her shot.Lots of laughter here.The vender-ladies will sit on top of the pile of veggies they are selling and do bussiness without getting up.You'll see them eating their lunches too.Lot'fs of fresh fish.

Watch The Fishermen

by neurochic Written Mar 23, 2006

Boats on the South China Sea

Some of the most beautiful boats that you will ever see in the world are fishing boats in Southeast Asia. And Quy Nhon is no exception. Quy Nhon is located on the South China Sea and still depends heavily on fishing and its products for its economy. On the main beach in Quy Nhon you will find many fishing junks out in the sea that provide wonderful photo opportunities.

Also if you like you can take a break on the boardwalk along the beach sitting on a bench feeling the cool breeze and watching the fishermen leave shore in these round basket tubs. They look like something to haul the fish in rather than to be able to haul a man.

• Beaches

Quang Trung Museum and Tay Son Place

by neurochic Updated Mar 23, 2006

Quang Trung Museum

If you have time to kill and like to learn a bit about the history of the area you are visiting, a trip to Quang Trung Museum and Tay Son Place are worth a visit. The museum is located in Tay Son Village about 40 km Northwest of Quy Nhon City.

The museum is a tribute by the people of the Binh Dinh province to their much beloved Tay Son brothers who led the Tay Son Rebellion from 1771-1802. The brothers were born in Tay Son and they were kind of like the Vietnamese version of Robin Hood. During their dynasty, they were able to wipe out the corrupt lords that ruled the North and South and were able to reunite Vietnam into one country. They would wipe out the corrupt politicians and whatever wealth they would find, they would redisburse amongst the people. One of the brothers was named Quang Trung, thereby explaining why the museum is named so.

Despite seeming to be out in the middle of nowhere, within the museum most of the items on display have English explanations, however a lot of the maps that show where battles took place do not. I would recommend that you read just a tad bit about the Tay Son Rebellion and Quang Trung before you go to the museum. A good website to check out is Tay Son Rebellion which is provided by the US Library of Congress.

If you want to learn more about the history, please see my travelogue The History of The Brothers Tay Son.

• Museum Visits

English Lesson

by neurochic Written Mar 22, 2006
    Our Friends Hua, Linh, and Huynh

One of the greatest things that I have come across in my travels is how sweet people truly are. Being a doctor, especially a neurologist, in an urban metropolis such as Detroit, you see a lot of the awful things that humans do to one another so I am always so pleasantly surprised when I'm reminded in my travels how great the human spirit truly is.

One of the best things my husband Ben and I did on our trip to Quy Nhon was to have lunch with some of the local high school students. The Saigon Quy Nhon Hotel is right next door to a school. Since Quy Nhon isn't visited much by tourists, if you are foreign you stick out like a sore thumb. One day walking down the street, we were approached by these 3 high school students who wanted so badly to practice their English on us. We invited them to lunch and over lunch we learned a lot about their life in Quy Nhon as they did with our lives in the US. I practiced the small amount of Vietnamese that I knew on them as they practiced their English on us. Also because we were with them, we were able to have lunch at a local restaurant that isn't frequented by tourists and had someone order for us.

The girls were really sweet and we exchanged addresses and plan on keeping in contact with them. We found out that the girl with the red tie wants to be a doctor too and we hopefully one day can help her do an exchange program here in the US once she goes away to her university. We even met their English teacher and were invited to come back to their home village for dinner but we were short on time.

I have read other pages that have said that having locals wanting to practice English on you is a con. The first thing I thought is "Are you crazy!" This is one of the many perks of traveling. To find out about others and their culture is one of the many luxuries that money can't buy.

Walk Along The Boardwalk

by neurochic Updated Mar 22, 2006

Beach Boardwalk

I'm not exactly sure the name of the Beach but right in front of the Saigon Quy Nhon hotel off of Xuan Dieu St. near the victory statue is a beautiful white sand beach that has a nice boardwalk that you can sit at and enjoy the coastal breeze or watch the locals converge onto this hot spot at dawn or dusk to play soccer, walk the dog, or hang out with family. Also since Quy Nhon is still a fishing town, you can also spend the day watching the beautiful multicolored fishing boats out on the South China Sea. Its also a great place to enjoy a snack from many of the street vendors who you will be pleasantly surprised will not haggle you like other tourist overrun beach areas. I would advise against swimming in the sea, however, as it probably isn't the cleanest beach with all the fishing boats and nets. There are other beaches in Quy Nhon to swim at.

• Beaches

Center of City, Victory Statue

by neurochic Written Mar 23, 2006

Soldiers of Victory Statue

In the middle of the city is a statue called Victory Statue that commemorates the victory of the Vietnamese over the Americans in the Vietnam War.

Instant Answers: Quy Nhon

Comments

Quy Nhon Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Quy Nhon things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Quy Nhon sightseeing.