Can Tho Off The Beaten Path

• fishing boats on river canal near the sea
    fishing boats on river canal near the...
  • Femal Buddhist in garden of Buddhist Temple cave
    Femal Buddhist in garden of Buddhist...
    Women selling ice cream

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Can Tho

• globaloro's Profile Photo

Country side and beach trip

by globaloro Updated Mar 27, 2008

Women selling ice cream

Took a day trip about 40 kilometers out of Can Tho it was a nice day (But needed to get out of that city) wile riding on my friends motor bike, we came across a nice Monkey Bridge mad of bamboo. Most of these have been replaced by concrete bridges to accommodate motor bikes, these days. So my friend walked out on the bridg as I took her picture. In the past they where used every were traditionally in Vietnam for crossing canals.
    On the way we spotted a women selling Ice Cream to little boy,I took their pic .
    Another time took a 3 day trip to the beach, on the way we saw some fising boats on the river by the sea. At the beach there was a Buddhist temple in a cave by the sea.

• Photography
    • Motorcycle

Munirangsyaram Pagoda

by richiecdisc Updated Feb 17, 2005

an atmospheric pagoda

On the way into Cantho, I noticed this very atmospheric pagoda from the bus and hoped I’d be able to find it during our short stay. It was too dark that evening but I noticed it was very close to the place we ate dinner, and that made it close enough to our hotel to make a morning visit before our bus left town. After three weeks of less than impressive Vietnamese architecture, this Khmer influenced compound seemed a thing of exquisite beauty. Early in the morning, we had the grounds to ourselves until some Khmer monks arrived and were surprised to find us already investigating their world. You can find it on Hoa Binh in Cantho.

• Religious Travel

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the last place I expected a mosque

by richiecdisc Written Feb 16, 2005

a mosque where you least expect it

Cham people live in Cham only villages and life revolves around fishing and small scale farming, especially of onions. It is a simple but seemingly idyllic life. The Cham are traditionally Muslims and it was a pleasant surprise to find this austere mosque just behind the simple village.

• Religious Travel

Cham ethnic minority village

by richiecdisc Updated Feb 16, 2005

Cham charm not lost

It would be difficult to visit a Cham village on your own so even if you traveled to the Mekong Delta on your own, you would most likely have to hire a guide to do something like this. Though I initially thought it would be very touristy, I was surprised to find the villagers anything but. Not only did they not beg for money, they were quite civilized in their behavior about selling you things produced there. The kids were very cute and if anything shy, a very nice departure from the “bon-bon, pen. Mister” mentality you find in similar villages elsewhere in the third world.

• Archeology

Instant Answers: Can Tho

Comments

Can Tho Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Can Tho off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Can Tho sightseeing.