Mai Chau Travel Guide

• Le
    Le "Marché de l'Amour", the love market...
  • Things to Do
    Mai Chau valley.

Mai Chau Things to Do

• Walk around the villages, Mai Chau.

Having a guide with you can make all the difference when you're out and about, first of all with the language, but also with the contact. So much nicer when you can get a smile out of a small kid, be invited in, get a feeling for the way people actually live.

• Folklore evening at the homestay.

Of course this type of evening is done for tourists, but it was brilliant. From the first song sung by the 7 young women, the dancing and the music to the final tasting of the fermented rice drink (no alcohol) it was a real pleasure, a great atmosphere. We willingly participated in the final dance with the girls and the bamboo staffs, but we were...

• Local Market

Walked to the local market. Here I saw my first ducks, pigs and dogs in bamboo cages for sale. The market is a typical one with all kinds of food and clothing for sale.

• River cruise and trek through villages

We were taken up a beautiful scenic valley to the river. Here, we boarded a long boat for our river trip. There were some tiny rapids which a guide negotiated us through. We pulled up at a sand bank, and here we began our trek through the countryside and local villages. The people are very friendly, they don't mind you taking photos. At a high...

• White Thai cultural dancing

I am not sure if it is only on weekends, I was there on the weekend. On saturday night, we went to another homestay. Here there were other tourists and the locals put on a cultural dance performance for us. It was interesting. The last dance, we joined in, it was good fun. We then shared there traditional drink, about six people suck on straws from...

• Visit minorities kids in schools

Bring books, pens, bags... for the minorities kids. Just small stuffs but they'll appreciate your kindness very much. The reward for the kind people are their angel smiles :-)

Mai Chau Nightlife

• Huonggy's Profile Photo

by Huonggy Updated Jun 11, 2006

For an overnight stay in Mai Chau, the performance is a must (and the only) to see in Mai Chau at night.

The performance are dances and songs to describe the life of the farmers, seasons of a rice growing year like when they sow the rice seeds until the harvest season, their happiness with the productive season, their hopes, their wishes...

The end of the performance is always the bamboo dance which audiences are invited to join with the dancers followed with traditional cereal wine (taste like very light and sweet wine) as a good-bye for the show.

If you're interested in the show, just tell the host - she's also the show organizer!

Mai Chau Shopping

• Huonggy's Profile Photo

by Huonggy Updated Jun 11, 2006

What to buy: These colorful traditional garments are great for house decorations like table & pillow cloth... or just hang them on the blank boring walls ;-)

What to pay: A few bucks for a piece of table cloth!

Mai Chau Warnings and Dangers

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Updated Apr 11, 2011

I was walking back from the markets facing the oncoming traffic. The road was quiet, even though it was the main road.

Lucky me, I happened to notice some locals glance behind me, and to my amazement, there were two motorbikes very close to me. They had crept up very quietly. Once I turned, and looked at them, they moved to the correct side of the road and took off at good speed.

Obviously, I was to be a victim of a bag snatch.

I was very lucky, the locals gave them away. I was told by my tour guide that it was quite safe here, and he sent me to the markets on my own. Its a pity that you cannot let your guard down at any time.

Mai Chau Off The Beaten Path

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Written Apr 25, 2008

I would recommend anybody to go to Mai Chau. Not many tourists come here. The scenery is fantastic, and the homestay very good. People are friendly. It is about 3 hours from Hanoi, a long drive, but nice scenery to look at on the way.

Instant Answers: Mai Chau

Comments

Explore Deeper into Mai Chau
Lac village